Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 1625 Old 04-09-2008, 08:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
WELCOME TO PAGE 4!

On the May 30th, we started this journey to finish the entire basement, including a dedicated theater space. After 4+ years of reading this forum, I had enough sense to meter my desire to set a goal for finishing the project. I mean...are we ever really done? I did however, set a goal of having the rough in inspections completed by the 1 year mark. I pulled permits like a good citizen, and thought all was well with the world...off I went to begin the project.

On Wednesday, December 26th, I called the city inspectors to schedule the rough in inspections for framing, HVAC, plumbing and electrical for Friday of that week. I spoke with the nice lady in the city office and she dutifully took down my information and said we're good to go for Friday. She called back a few moments later and asked me if I had received an electrical permit.

I told her that I had thought so and that all of the permits were issued on the same day at the city office of permitty things. She had my file open in front of her and she said that she didn't see any record of my being issued an electrical permit. We went over a few details and it became clear that I hadn't received a permit for electrical work! Apparently in Winchester, they issue Building, framing, HVAC and plumbing permits at the city office. Electrical permits are issued at a totally different office across town. She asked me to get an electrical permit and have the electrical inspection completed before the other inspections could be completed. I asked her to leave the other inspections scheduled for Friday and that I'd get the electrical done before then (as in the get the permit and inspection on the same day).

I called the electrical permit folks and scheduled an inspection for Thursday morning (the only opening that they had available). The lady told me it was no big deal and that I could get the permit if I showed up at 8:00am.

The next morning, I arrived at the permit office at 8:00, filled out the paperwork and forked over yet another check ($75 ish), and was issued a permit. I ran home and put the permit up in the front window. An hour or so later the building/HVAC/plumbing inspector showed up and wanted to walk through. He showed up a day early and before the electrical inspector!

I showed him around, and he commented on how well the work was done, compared it to local builders and contractors, and said he was impressed. This inspector had done my courtesy framing inspection earlier and reviewed my plumbing plans and offered very helpful tips. He asked to see my electrical inspection. It was then that I reminded him that he was a day early. He apologized and said that they weren't too busy and that he had not looked at the appointment date. I had not finished installing the bath vent pipe to the outside, nor had I finished one other small item (that escapes me at this time). He asked me if I intended to finish these items up, and said it was OK.

As he was standing there, the electrical inspector showed up. I walked them both through the plans and showed them what I had done. For electrical, I had not connected the new circuits to the panel, nor had I made up the boxes yet. {Making up the boxes means that the ground wires are all bonded together and one simply needs to connect the devices]. He was really impressed with how anal I had been...each electrical box had a number written on the adjacent studs with the circuit number. Each wire was labeled with a sharpie to indicate where it went and which circuit it was on. These were also shown on the plans with circuit load info.

He really wanted the boxes to have been made up, but he was OK signing off on the work because he could inspect the work with the devices connected but he asked me not to install the devices in the boxes...he wanted them left outside the boxes so he could inspect the connections.

I learned a lot from the electrical guy. All of the ground wires in each box must be physically bonded together with a grounding sleeve. He also wanted each device connected using pigtails. He was very particular about that.

He signed off on the rough in electrical and gave me a yellow sticker for the permit on the front window. The framing/HVAC/plumbing inspector gave me another yellow sticker for the other permits indicating that I had passed those inspections as well. He said that he didn't want to see me again until the drywall was up. He said that the basement walls had an adequate level of insulation and that there was no inspection required before the walls were closed up. The next inspection would be the final and I only needed finished drywall, installed doors, electrical devices installed, and plumbing fixtures in and working. No carpet needed, no trim, heck, I don't even need to have it painted.

Both of these guys were very knowledgeable and helpful. The building inspector particularly so. He seemed that he really wanted to help me get this right.

Needless to say, it was quite a boost to the ego to be told that my work looked much better than most of the builders and contractors that he had seen.

I was on cloud 9 for the next week or so!

Now on to drywall.

CJ

Follow my build here:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 1625 Old 04-09-2008, 09:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

For Christmas this year, I had many items on my list for the basement. I took the sage advice of some on this forum and purchased a drywall lift from ebay as a Christmas present to myself. It showed up a week or so after Christmas.

It came in a really small box. It was quite heavy!

Here's what it looks like assembled.

I got it for $160 delivered. I figured if I could sell it for 1/2 of that after I was done, I'd be really happy.

A friend of mine was able to buy one from Craigslist for about $100..and it was all beaten up and needed three new wheels. I was really happy with the deal and felt as though I was ready to tackle the drywall.

CJ

Follow my build here:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #93 of 1625 Old 04-09-2008, 09:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I found that I had a few hours free one Sunday afternoon (after returning from a winter camping trip with the Boy Scout Troop), I decided to tackle the bar top and front. I had some left over plywood that I needed to use, and I decided it was time to get the bar finished up.

I stole, I mean borrowed a page from HawkEyeJosh and I connected support arms to the bar wall framing to support the top. The arms were made of 2x4 lumber with a notch cut out of one end. This allowed the support to wrap around the top plate of the bar wall. These support arms were connected to the wall with 5/16" lag bolts and construction adhesive.

In addition, I added the 1/2 OSB to the front of the bar to enhance the structure. I'll wrap the outside of the bar with cabinet grade sheathing or raised panel cabinet work (as soon as I learn how to make them!).

The bar top substrate is 3/4 plywood glued and screwed to the support arms and wall framing. After a few days, I was able to stand on the bar top. It feels really sturdy. I don't know whether I'll be able to talk the wife into dancing naked on the bar, but I will know that it will surely hold her.

Here are some photos:

It may seem as though this work could have waited until the room was drywalled. I guess it could have, but I wanted to make sure that the bar top and the small soffit over it were in alignment. Also, the plywood didn't have to be carried to the garage!

CJ

Follow my build here:
post #94 of 1625 Old 04-10-2008, 07:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
very, very, very good looking bar!

post #95 of 1625 Old 04-23-2008, 12:14 PM

I'm so freaking jealous!!!!

Great work.

I also like that you have your family involved, nice way to spend some quality time together.

*thumbs up*

Lakers
Dodgers
Broncos (I know)

XboxLive Gamertag: SUPREME22
post #96 of 1625 Old 04-24-2008, 02:45 PM

Hey CJ,

Looking good. You did a great great job of photo documenting. talk to you soon.

John

The Soundproofing Company
post #97 of 1625 Old 05-02-2008, 07:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Quote:

Good devil....bad devil. I've got them both on my shoulders. 2:35 vs 16:9. They've been there for some time. I when I saw you last, I was convinced that 2:35 was the way to go. I changed my mind a few weeks after that. Last night I started wavering again.

I'm going to finish the shell of the room and let this sit on the back burner for a while. Maybe I'll get some divine intervention and this will be easy.

CJ

Speaking of screens, to add to our conversation from last night - consider finding an alternative projector location. That 23' distance will kill you in all likelihood. If you could set something up around 16' I think you'll have a bunch more flexibility.

Perhaps put up all the drywall but the last few ceiling pieces in the back so you can go finish the mounting location once you got a better feel for the room size, seating locations and screen size?

Michael

post #98 of 1625 Old 05-02-2008, 07:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathan View Post

Speaking of screens, to add to our conversation from last night - consider finding an alternative projector location. That 23' distance will kill you in all likelihood. If you could set something up around 16' I think you'll have a bunch more flexibility.

Perhaps put up all the drywall but the last few ceiling pieces in the back so you can go finish the mounting location once you got a better feel for the room size, seating locations and screen size?

Bryan schooled me on that. I COULD leave the projector stuff where it is, but I'll go broke buying a top of the line projector to handle that distance and screen size (think $15,000+). I saw one at a showroom that was Movie House grade...Runco at a cool $250,000. It would do a really large screen (think 30' wide) for commercial applications.

This weekend I am going to finish running the conduit for the alternative projector location. Right behind my soffit (at about 16 feet), I'm going to run a conduit with Ts every 12" or so to the back of the room (Bryan's idea). This will enable me to use the T that's closest to the final projector location. I'm going to run cables to this location as well, and leave them a little long until I determine where the final projector location will be. The hard one is the dead outlet, but I think Ill do the same (leave the cable long, then install a box when I figure out where the projector will be.

I'm pushing to get the predrywall stuff finished in the theater this week, with drywall starting next week or the week after. Shooting for all drywall hung by the end of the month.

Good to see you again, and thanks for the advice.

CJ

Follow my build here:
post #99 of 1625 Old 05-02-2008, 08:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Excellent work so far CJ. Your attention to detail is impressive. I am anal retentive myself. I can't wait to follow the rest of your build.

Mike

Where am I with my HT build?

Still Dreaming!
post #100 of 1625 Old 05-11-2008, 08:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by In2Photos View Post

Excellent work so far CJ. Your attention to detail is impressive. I am anal retentive myself. I can't wait to follow the rest of your build.

Thank you. Been busy with the theater. Will get you guys updated soon. Closed up the theater this weekend and started drywall on Sunday. Got 3 sheets on the ceiling (54" x 12' of 5/8") attached to 20 gauge furring channel. Man, that stuff is heavy!

More later.

CJ

Follow my build here:
post #101 of 1625 Old 05-19-2008, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Hey CJ, very nice design on the bar, you have just inspired me to do the same. The basic structure of it looks easy enough to do. I would definitely like to see the progress on that because I am planning on having one within my HT basement.

CEDAR PEAKS CINEMA (Now w/ 3D)

post #102 of 1625 Old 05-19-2008, 04:27 PM

Hey CJ

Just curious as to what program you used to do your floor plan mock up.

Thanks
A
post #103 of 1625 Old 05-19-2008, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboranadum View Post

Thank you. Been busy with the theater. Will get you guys updated soon. Closed up the theater this weekend and started drywall on Sunday. Got 3 sheets on the ceiling (54" x 12' of 5/8") attached to 20 gauge furring channel. Man, that stuff is heavy!

More later.

CJ

Wow - you weren't kidding about pulling out the big sheets! That poor ebay lift must be hurting.

I can't wait to see the pics of the drywall in place. And, like others, I'm jealous of that bar (and all that space you have)! I submitted my electrical permit today, so we'll see what they say in a few days I guess.

Chris

... One bag at a time ...
post #104 of 1625 Old 05-19-2008, 08:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapmonkey View Post

Wow - you weren't kidding about pulling out the big sheets! That poor ebay lift must be hurting.

I can't wait to see the pics of the drywall in place. And, like others, I'm jealous of that bar (and all that space you have)! I submitted my electrical permit today, so we'll see what they say in a few days I guess.

Well...hold off on being jealous of the bar until it's finished. Right now it makes a really great table to lay crap on and a good propper-upper-thingie to lean drywall against.

I'm going to stay up late tonight and update this darn thread...

...Must Update Thread....

...Must Update Thread....

Especially if you're going to pick on cheapmonkey for not updating his....

CJ

Shaking off the Logan curse - one sheet at a time, but still praying for deliverance (and not the squealy piggy type)!

Follow my build here:
post #105 of 1625 Old 05-19-2008, 08:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrhope View Post

Hey CJ

Just curious as to what program you used to do your floor plan mock up.

Thanks
A

Sorry...I had typed up a reply to your PM...guess it didn't go through. I used Punch! Home Architect Pro, version 7 I believe. They are on version 12 right now. I've been working on planning / dreaming / drawing this basement for nearly 4 years.

I was originally impressed with the capabilities. It really does well with mock ups and the like, but not too good for precision drawings. Others have had good luck with it, so I don't know if it was me not investing enough time in it or the outdated version.

It was quite accurate with the # of 2x4's needed. I could not get it to calculate the SF of drywall though.

YMMV.

CJ

Follow my build here:
post #106 of 1625 Old 05-19-2008, 09:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Are you sure you don't what that serial cable run to the projector...oh wait, that's right, it is already closed up...

Hehehehehe

Right back at ya...

Hey, I am beginning to think the logan thing might be starting to work... I am not hearing a lot of smack talk in the logan thread but quite a few build updates in the forum.

I was going to single out one or two of those that have been loganed but haven't been making much progress just to keep things going but everyone I researched was making progress...

ut O... got to get back to work!!! Keep on building...

Man, that took longer than I thought it would...

Loganed 4/6/08 Logan's Hero 5/1/08

2010 - The year of the Shed
post #107 of 1625 Old 05-19-2008, 09:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

When we last posted about work done in the theater, our heroes had just finished working on the bar area. Early January found us working to get some insulation up and some drywall up as well. We made the fateful decision to work with 4'x12' sheets of 1/2" drywall for the main part of the basement. We called around to some local drywall specialty shops and the price seemed a bit too high, so we decided to purchase a few sheets and schlep it home in the minivan. It worked out, but what a pain! Looking back, I'd buy from the specialty store and have it delivered. I'd also go with 4.5'x12' sections to avoid a second seam.

Here's some photos of moi suited up to tackle the insulation (I look like the marshmellow man - wearing 80's oversized glasses). Can you believe we used to pay extra for the oversized lens blanks. Who would have thought these would make great safety glasses 20 years later!

Get the suit...it's only $10 and it really works. You MUST wear long sleeves though, as the insulation fibers penetrate the suit a bit.

Finished outside wall. It really didn't *NEED* to be insulated, as the builder had insulated part of it. I was looking for sound deadening, and it worked great. Used R-19 in the outside walls and R-30 in the ceiling joists.

That gap at the top was a rookie mistake that would haunt me for some time (words from the future).

That pretty much exhausted the few sheets of drywall that I had on hand. That was one long weekend.

Best...tool...ever!

Thank you to the poster who's name I can't remember who recommended a lift! This dude tackles the 12 footers with ease. Oh, and no one comment on the number of screws holding the drywall up. I forgot how many were required and hung it with screws every 6 inches or so. Better to over engineer I always - oh heck....you know I screwed up!

CJ

Follow my build here:
post #108 of 1625 Old 05-19-2008, 09:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPh Drew View Post

Are you sure you don't what that serial cable run to the projector...oh wait, that's right, it is already closed up...

Hehehehehe

Been sitting here contemplating opening the ceiling up a bit and running the spare 20' serial cable that I have sitting around collecting dust. I only have the first layer of 5/8" in place in the ceiling... Shoot...now that I'm updating the thread for something that happened in January, the space time continum will be violated and the reader wil be miscombobulated. Sorry guys...strike that from the record!

...must fight urge to use Fist of Death (c)

CJ

Follow my build here:
post #109 of 1625 Old 05-19-2008, 09:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thinking I was all bad and stuff, I decided to run the projector from a hush box on the back wall of the theater. I ran conduit and a 3" aluminum vent pipe to the projector location. The 2" conduit would be for future expansion, while the aluminum vent pipe would be to draw heat from the hush box. I don't know why the vent pipe is MIA in these pictures. I guarantee it's not made of transparent aluminum.

Here's how they looked:

From the wiring closet:

The blue smurf tubes are for speaker wire. The gray wires on the right are for the alarm sensors located throughout the basement. Teh alarm controller will reside here, once I've purchased one!

CJ

Follow my build here:
post #110 of 1625 Old 05-19-2008, 09:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I realize that this is not your conventional build in this forum. I'm building out the entire basement, and I'm going to keep posting photos of the entire job. Occationally, I'll get to the theater, but for now, I'm honing my craft in the rest of the basement so my workmanship is top notch when I finally roll into the theater!

The next weekend (1/26/08), we hung more drywall! This involved me taking Friday off so that we could bring more 4'x12' - 1/2" sheets home. This time, we rented a truck from Big Blue and brought home 24 sheets of the long stuff, and 10 sheets of 4'x8' - 1/2". Our house has a walk out basement and we were able to back up to the back door and unload them. The wife was not happy with me after all of that work. I kept tring to convince her that it was for the greater good. I don't think she was buying it.

Here's some photos of this weekend's work. We covered the back wall with a vapor barrier and then got some drywall up.

Notice the stack of drywall peaking out from the edge of the photo?

Xs mark screws that missed their mark and need to be taken out. We found it was much faster to keep going and come back to remove these later.

A contractor friend of mine told me it would be best to have the 12" strip of drywall at the bottom of the wall as opposed to the top. His ratioale was that it would be easier to see the seam if it was up high. We began to suspect it would have been better to have purchased 54" wide drywall and eliminate a seam.

That was the end of another long weekend. I wish I could spend both entire days working down there, but there's only a few hours available here and there.

CJ

Follow my build here:
post #111 of 1625 Old 05-19-2008, 10:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I had a few hours free, so I went down and hung a few sheets of drywall in the main part of the basement. I'm working back towards the bar area. Got a soffit around the storage area covered, the outside wall of the bathroom, and a few sheets on the ceiling.

Did I mention how much I loved that drywall lift?

CJ

Follow my build here:
post #112 of 1625 Old 05-19-2008, 10:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Had some more free time, so down to the basement I went.

More sheets knocked out!

I feel I'm getting pretty good at this.

CJ

Follow my build here:
post #113 of 1625 Old 05-20-2008, 05:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Looking good. Any idea when the space time continum with reach present day? Wait... will you even get this message until you get caught up with present day and then be saying "what is he talking about?"

You say "Marshmallow man", I say "Pillsbury dough boy???"

Come on man, keep posting. Need to know how far I am behind. Seeing all that blue conduit makes me wish I would have found a way to get a line to my projector cubby but hopefully I ran enough wire.

On the edge of my seat waiting for the next episode...and what happens with the gaps at the top of the wall...

Man, that took longer than I thought it would...

Loganed 4/6/08 Logan's Hero 5/1/08

2010 - The year of the Shed
post #114 of 1625 Old 05-20-2008, 06:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Good stuff CJ,

Keep it coming.

post #115 of 1625 Old 05-20-2008, 09:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPh Drew View Post

Looking good. Any idea when the space time continum with reach present day? Wait... will you even get this message until you get caught up with present day and then be saying "what is he talking about?"

You say "Marshmallow man", I say "Pillsbury dough boy???"

Come on man, keep posting. Need to know how far I am behind. Seeing all that blue conduit makes me wish I would have found a way to get a line to my projector cubby but hopefully I ran enough wire.

On the edge of my seat waiting for the next episode...and what happens with the gaps at the top of the wall...

...oh. Now you're a mean little cuss now aren't you? The suit adds 20 lbs?

CJ

Follow my build here:
post #116 of 1625 Old 05-20-2008, 01:41 PM

The work is looking good CJ. I like the bar set up, that is going to look awesome when it is done.

I know it is too late to help you out, but 54" board is definitely the way to go with 9' ceilings. Any reason you chose to hang the walls before the ceiling?

Chris

Starting Drywall

"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son."
post #117 of 1625 Old 05-20-2008, 08:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funston View Post

The work is looking good CJ. I like the bar set up, that is going to look awesome when it is done.

I know it is too late to help you out, but 54" board is definitely the way to go with 9' ceilings. Any reason you chose to hang the walls before the ceiling?

The wider board would have saved me quite a lot of time in the rest of the basement, both from the standpoint of delivery of the raw materials to the fact that I would have avoided one 12" piece and another seam.

I got a little ahead of myself and did the ceiling after the walls in asome spots. What I didn't show is that for the ceiling parts of the main theater, I was insulating as I went along instead of doing it all and then hanging rock.

That insulation stuff is nasty.

I've got big plans for the bar area, but I need to get some drywall finished and make some significant progress in the theater before I start on it.

CJ

Follow my build here:
post #118 of 1625 Old 05-20-2008, 08:30 PM

looks great. the room really starts to take shape once the drywall goes up.
post #119 of 1625 Old 06-09-2008, 07:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
CJ -

Don't know how I missed this thread. Great pics and great work. Man, you are kicking butt. But I notice you often, "I had some free time." Where exactly are you finding "free time?" I guess I gotta get MY butt in gear now!

Looking good, keep it up.

Tom

Tom Logan
Everytime I reply the thread ends
Need motivation? Get LOGANED

An as-yet un-named theater designed by Big-WarrenP-BritInVA
post #120 of 1625 Old 06-09-2008, 07:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks Tom for the kind words. The thread is a bit behind...about 2 1/2 months to be exact. I've tried to sit down and update it but the basement keeps calling!

I've been plugging away at it when time permits. Usually, this comes while others are sleeping or on the weekends. I have the curse of needing to finish things when I start them (or it drives me nuts). Imaging how conflicted I am with the infernal mudding and taping (did I ever mention that I hate this step?).

For instance, I briefly considered STARTING to drywall the bathroom at about 8:30pm last night. I figured it would take about 3-4 hours to get it done, and the wife was not up for helping me put the ceiling up (the lift won't fit in there). I'll try to talk her into helping with that one tonight.

CJ

Follow my build here:
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page