post #1231 of 1625 Old 08-10-2010, 04:19 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked: 632
Quote:
Originally Posted by carboranadum View Post

He's ahead of me. I don't even HAVE the remote yet!

Before buying your remote read about the Google Revue TV box. It will have all the Harmony remote logic and can use an Iphone/IPad application as a touch screen controller. Coming this fall

JEFF PARKINSON

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PROJECTS:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1232 of 1625 Old 08-10-2010, 04:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Speaking of remotes, I have been looking at options as well. The wife has issues in the kids area as they change sources and inputs for the various modes of TV/Movie/Gaming options. I am using her confusion as additional ammunition for a programmable remote for the HT even though the HT will be simpler than the media room. On a side note I finally did get my Onkyo remote programmed to run the TV, HD-DVD, and satellite box. Sadly though they don't have a discrete code for my JVC BR player.

The Google options sounds interesting. Google seems to be getting into just about everything these days. Any takers out there willing to bet when you'll be able to purchase a Google refrigerator or TV?

Regards,

RTROSE

Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
post #1233 of 1625 Old 08-10-2010, 05:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Thanks, Jeff. I need a remote now, so I'm going to go RF and find something that I'll be happy with in the living room (if I wind up getting something else in the theater).

I'm ordering SOMETHING TODAY. Just need to figure out what that something will be!

CJ

Follow my build here:
post #1234 of 1625 Old 08-10-2010, 05:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew_V View Post

Would you be able to post any pictures of your doors and sweeps? I'm at the stage where I have my door hung and I bought a threshold seal, but I'm not entirely sure I like the style. It's an under-door seal, but it's pretty cheap and I wouldn't mind choosing a different type that would be maybe easier to mount or a better performer. But I definitely didn't want to go the fully-mortised $70 drop-down seal route, either. I was hoping to find something in between. What did you end up using?

Drew:

Let me snap some photos tonight. I did not go fancy with this...I just picked up a plastic and rubber sweep from Lowes to cover the bottom of the door and match up with the thresold. I can always change it later if I need to, but for now it's working very well.

CJ

Follow my build here:
post #1235 of 1625 Old 08-10-2010, 05:26 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked: 632
Harmony 890

JEFF PARKINSON

PROJECTS:
post #1236 of 1625 Old 08-10-2010, 06:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Harmony 1100 with RF adapter?

Follow my build here:
post #1237 of 1625 Old 08-10-2010, 06:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
As a stop-gap in my temp living room set up (Denon 3806, Comcast cable, Samsung BR, Mits 65737) I have a Harmony 700. Took one or two tries to get the macros to work right, but I have "Watch TV" and "Watch Movie" working great. One button to switch between the two. As a side note, the problems I did have were with the way the Mits switches between modes, but alittle playing around and it's been working great. Even LOGANESS can run the system when I'm not there.

Tom Logan
Everytime I reply the thread ends
Need motivation? Get LOGANED

An as-yet un-named theater designed by Big-WarrenP-BritInVA
post #1238 of 1625 Old 08-10-2010, 06:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Quote:

Harmony 1100 with RF adapter?

Doesn't allow for macros which was a deal breaker for me. Reburbed 890's are selling for $148 right now.

Michael

post #1239 of 1625 Old 08-10-2010, 07:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathan View Post

Doesn't allow for macros which was a deal breaker for me. Reburbed 890's are selling for $148 right now.

GOOD! The 890 does macros! Excellent. I saw the refurb price. May be the unit to get!

Thank you.

CJ

Follow my build here:
post #1240 of 1625 Old 08-10-2010, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Sent you an email with the details of my combo of remotes and IR distribution blocks.

Michael

post #1241 of 1625 Old 08-10-2010, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
URC MX-980, It is a little more and I certainly dont use half of what it is capable of, but I love the thing...

post #1242 of 1625 Old 08-10-2010, 06:29 PM

Liked: 10
C: Can you do me a favor? I am looking for a fabric that matches the Florida State Seminoles Garnet color. On some shots it looks dead on...on some shots it looks a bit too red... Could you glance in your HT and see if the color is anywhere close to this....

PMS 1945....

https://www.identityguide.fsu.edu/xp...ge_colors.html

GREAT build by the way!
post #1243 of 1625 Old 08-10-2010, 08:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyZipperbaum View Post

C: Can you do me a favor? I am looking for a fabric that matches the Florida State Seminoles Garnet color. On some shots it looks dead on...on some shots it looks a bit too red... Could you glance in your HT and see if the color is anywhere close to this....

PMS 1945....

https://www.identityguide.fsu.edu/xp...ge_colors.html

GREAT build by the way!

Thank you! The color is close, but the GOM is a tad more dark. Reach out to the GOM folks for a sample, or send me your mailing address and I'll send you a piece.

CJ

Follow my build here:
post #1244 of 1625 Old 08-11-2010, 04:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Any progress for the door sweep pics?

I hate to nag, but I'd like to get my options settled before I take the door down to stain it.

--Drew

My basement theater build thread:

Started: 2/20/10
Completed: 10/10/10
post #1245 of 1625 Old 08-12-2010, 05:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Drew:

Sorry for the delay. My in-laws arrived yesterday for a week long visit, and I was quite busy with cleaning stuff up to make the place presentable.

I did not go all out with the sound containment around the doors yet. I installed a cheap vinyl door bottom to keep light out and some sound in.

http://www.mdteam.com/products.php?category=1800

My threshold is made from hardwood and does not have a vinyl insert.

Quite frankly, I didn't spend a lot of time trying to think about these items. I can change them rather easily if I need to later. I also have not been able to get test them out and see how much is leaking past them. I doubt that there is much sound leaking out now, but I need to test it and see for sure.

I hope to figure out the weatherstripping needed between/around the doors this weekend and get it installed. Also, I hope to install the door stops and handles, and get the jambs and outside trim painted.

Follow my build here:
post #1246 of 1625 Old 08-12-2010, 05:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The Harmony 890 showed up last night, as did the chairs. My father in law helped me unbox the chairs and set them up. After dinner I went down to view a few clips from my new thrones and was joined by the rest of the family. We watched a home movie that they brought, and proceeded to watch CARS in BR at a sound level that can best be described as really low. Ah well, they enjoyed the flick, so all is well.

I have a long punch list to get through before I can chrisen this dude DONE, but I'm working through it slowly. I'm shooting to be done, done with the theater within 30 days of hanging the projector. It really helps to have a goal, methinks.

Follow my build here:
post #1247 of 1625 Old 08-12-2010, 06:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The Harmony 890 sowed up last night,

Best tip I can give you is to have your computer close to the where the RF unit is hooked up. You will be constantly hooking it up and unhooking stuff up. Right now I have a my RF unit wall mounted and a USB cable that connected to the PC permanently and is secured so that it dangles within reach of the unit. That means I don't need to unhook anything but the power plug to the RF unit and plug in the USB cable every time I tinker. You will tinker a ton early on. Matter of fact it may be easier to first just program all of your stuff using just the IR function of the remote and not introduce the RF module until you get the remote to work the way you want.

Michael

post #1248 of 1625 Old 08-12-2010, 01:50 PM

You should not have hung the projector.... I fear this build may just sink into oblivion

On a side note though, ridiculously awesome build. Whats the deal with teh projector though, how can you get a 2.35:1 image without a lens? Yeah yeah I am new to all this.
post #1249 of 1625 Old 08-12-2010, 02:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Lorddef, you can get the image by just zooming. The black bars are then off the screen. A lens will make better use of the pixels and light, but this is the poor man's way of doing it. (really not poor, just not the rich man's way)

Panasonic had a projector last year, that could zoom automatically for you to 2 stored points. This year, their offering can zoom automatically to 6 different zoom amounts.

This years panny can also detect and zoom for you instead of you haveing to press a button like last years model. Last year was the PT-AE3000, this years is the PT-AE4000.

Wonder what this years will do?

Michael

PSN: Chiahead

Loganed on 8/29/2008
post #1250 of 1625 Old 08-12-2010, 02:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiahead View Post

You know I was wondering the same thing. I'm getting close to bulb replacement time and am halfway tempted to entertain looking at what the new one does. But to be honest, I doubt I'll take a plunge into the new until next year.

Michael

post #1251 of 1625 Old 08-12-2010, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiahead View Post

Lorddef, you can get the image by just zooming. The black bars are then off the screen. A lens will make better use of the pixels and light, but this is the poor man's way of doing it. (really not poor, just not the rich man's way)

Panasonic had a projector last year, that could zoom automatically for you to 2 stored points. This year, their offering can zoom automatically to 6 different zoom amounts.

This years panny can also detect and zoom for you instead of you haveing to press a button like last years model. Last year was the PT-AE3000, this years is the PT-AE4000.

Thanks a lot man... still on the brink of buying my first projector. BURN IN HELL LCDs!!!! considering making my own screen too. But all this zoom wizardry you speak of, doesn't this mean that when watching 16:9 content the image would spill outta the screens top and bottom borders?
post #1252 of 1625 Old 08-12-2010, 03:32 PM

I've been lurking here for a few weeks and finally decided to post. I have read all of this thread plus a few of the other long ones.

I was waiting for someone outside a bank today and the wall was the same kind of brick as your bar. I looked at the corners and they had them jutting out but alternating so that it formed a natural looking corner. I took a picture with my phone and was going to post it as an idea but remembered you did your stones that way because of the 45 degree angle.

I might have to stop coming here, I'm a minimum of 3 years away from starting my own build but I get excited about it when I look at pictures of other people's theaters.
post #1253 of 1625 Old 08-12-2010, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyMcKenna View Post

I've been lurking here for a few weeks and finally decided to post. I have read all of this thread plus a few of the other long ones.

I was waiting for someone outside a bank today and the wall was the same kind of brick as your bar. I looked at the corners and they had them jutting out but alternating so that it formed a natural looking corner. I took a picture with my phone and was going to post it as an idea but remembered you did your stones that way because of the 45 degree angle.

I might have to stop coming here, I'm a minimum of 3 years away from starting my own build but I get excited about it when I look at pictures of other people's theaters.

Take it from a fellow lurker... its too late man. You're hooked already. Word to the wise, lose your card.
post #1254 of 1625 Old 08-12-2010, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorddeff07 View Post

Take it from a fellow lurker... its too late man. You're hooked already. Word to the wise, lose your card.

I think I'm safe for a little while, I don't own the house I would need or even live in the right state yet!
post #1255 of 1625 Old 08-12-2010, 06:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:

I think I'm safe for a little while, I don't own the house I would need or even live in the right state yet!

The state of confusion is the best state to build a theater in. So unless your ready to move there I wouldn't start yet!

Regards,

RTROSE

Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
post #1256 of 1625 Old 08-13-2010, 07:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorddeff07 View Post

You should not have hung the projector.... I fear this build may just sink into oblivion

On a side note though, ridiculously awesome build. Whats the deal with teh projector though, how can you get a 2.35:1 image without a lens? Yeah yeah I am new to all this.

Thanks! Good thing I'm nearly done!

Follow my build here:
post #1257 of 1625 Old 08-13-2010, 07:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I I'm a minimum of 3 years away from starting my own build but I get excited about it when I look at pictures of other people's theaters.

I joined the forum and read build threads for nearly four years before I picked up a hammer. It's time well spent. You want to know where all of the issues will be and what the best techniques are before you start.

Good luck, and welcome to the maddness!

Follow my build here:
post #1258 of 1625 Old 08-13-2010, 07:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTROSE View Post

The state of confusion is the best state to build a theater in. So unless your ready to move there I wouldn't start yet!

Amen. State of Cunfusion! Keep it coming!

Follow my build here:
post #1259 of 1625 Old 08-13-2010, 07:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
Don't you mean Dimension X?

Tom Logan
Everytime I reply the thread ends
Need motivation? Get LOGANED

An as-yet un-named theater designed by Big-WarrenP-BritInVA
post #1260 of 1625 Old 08-13-2010, 08:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The stone veneer that I used had special pieces for the corners. One side of the corner was a long piece, the other a short piece. You alternated which way these were put onto the wall. I only had one corner to use these on, but I'll post a photo here:

On the left you can see the corner pieces. For the 45 degree angles, I had to make my own from long pieces (as shown in my thread). The results look really good when they are in place.

Follow my build here:
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page