Harvest Ridge Theater (A CJ Project) - Page 49 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
post #1441 of 1626 Old 03-18-2011, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 90
That's excellent. I was planning on ripping ISOs of all my discs, but if I can save 30% on the file size I'll do that. Thanks again.

-

Is it solipsistic in here, or is it just me?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1442 of 1626 Old 03-18-2011, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by BllDo View Post
That's excellent. I was planning on ripping ISOs of all my discs, but if I can save 30% on the file size I'll do that. Thanks again.
I ripped ISO's of the dsks that I really like or have some collector or classic value (LOtR trilogy, Good Bad & Ugly, etc). The rest I ripped as MKV using MakeMKV (free program that does a GREAT job). Look it up on the web and you'll see how cool it is. You will also want to grab a copy of AnyDVD for backup purposes too.

Ripping out the audio tracks for the languages that you don't need, the subtitles for the languages that you don't need, the previews and the other crap makes for a significant savings in space for many movies.

You will want to keep the SD soundtracks though, in case you decide to play the MKV on a sysstem that does not support Dolby 5.1 audio. I kept all f the English soundtracks, including the DD, DD2.0, DD5.1 and any HD soundtracks too.

Follow my build here: Harvest Ridge Theater
post #1443 of 1626 Old 03-26-2011, 11:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I'm playing with changing the skin on the YAMJ. I really like this new skin. Photos up soon.

post #1444 of 1626 Old 03-26-2011, 11:59 AM

Liked: 10
Looks Fantastic! How much Disk storage do you have? Is it easily expandable? Sounds like you can get about 30 - 40 br images per terabyte.
post #1445 of 1626 Old 03-26-2011, 12:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy View Post

Looks Fantastic! How much Disk storage do you have? Is it easily expandable? Sounds like you can get about 30 - 40 br images per terabyte.

I currently have 12TB of online storage. About half of that is used for BR and SD DVD ISOs and rips. I also use the storage array to hold my music collection, my photo collection and my audio book collection.

I'm averaging about 43 MKV files per TB. The image files that I retain are significantly larger...about 26 per TB. The ISOs contain all of the different language soundtracks, the subtitles for all languages, the previews, and the behind the scenes "extras".

When I built the server, I used Win2003 and set up the RAID 5 array in software. This worked fine intially due to a fast processor and a good amount of memory, but it limits the ability to expand the array on the fly. To gain that functionality, I'll need to purchase a hardware RAID card or two, then start a new array (using new disks). After that I can start transferring data. The good part is that I will certainly have plenty of disks so that I can hot swap as failures occur when the transfer is complete. The main detractor for going with a hardware solution was cost...those hardware RAID 5 cards are expensive!

With proper management, I should not have to do the conversion for quite some time, though.

post #1446 of 1626 Old 04-02-2011, 10:03 PM

Your theater is officially my bible for designing my own.

I'm currently working with an architect designing our theater. We won't have the money to finish it right away, but I want to make sure the space is there. So far...we have a 16' x 24' room, that is entered from the back corner (less than ideal, but can't afford putting in a hallway to come in from the side).

I see on your theater, that you have a 2 1/2' space behind your screen. Is this primarily to hide the pole (or drain line), and to allow room for the speakers underneath?

We are actually considering having a 3' deep, 4' alcove built into the screen wall, to allow for (believe it or not)...trash can storage from the outside of the house. My thinking is I can do what you did and have space on the sides and top of the alcove for speakers.

Any major negatives you can think of in doing this??? Thanks a lot...and whatever you do...don't let all those pictures get taken down!!!
post #1447 of 1626 Old 04-02-2011, 10:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well, thank you for the kind words. I'm glad that my build thread can be of use for someone.

I knew that I was using an AT screen from the start, so the space behind the screen this just made sense. It was designed to hold the speakers and sub. Holding the pole was a bonus. I have to say, that the pole did present a problem that we were able to overcome quite elegantly. The angled walls did present a challenge for the acoustical plan, but BPape worked around it quite well. There is another member of this forum with the same house plan that I have (his is in another town). By chance, we both put our theaters in the same part of the house. His is flipped...his screen is where my back wall is. We did this without knowing. I met him at his theater open house and that's when I found out we had the same plan. His handle on here is mmmkam. Check out his finished theater too.

If I were doing this over again, I'd use the design service (see the sticky at the top of this forum). They will be able to help you plan out a great space, including an acoustical plan. The design alone is well worth the price. Check it out...the folks who do it are pros!

I don't see any problem with taking some of the space that would be dedicated for behind the screen for use as a storage area accessible from the outside. I would expect that ou need at least 28" between the screen and the back wall for speakers. 36" would be better, depening on the size of your speakers. The space between the outside and inside should be separated by a wall and treated accordingly.

Start a build thread, and post a picture of the space and your proposed plan. Some of the regulars here will be able to chime in and help you figure out some alternatives or provide some pointers.

Good luck!

post #1448 of 1626 Old 04-03-2011, 07:28 AM

Will do...thanks!

Again...great job! Here in the Los Angeles area...there are no such things as basements. You're lucky to have them...and what you did with the space is incredible!
post #1449 of 1626 Old 04-22-2011, 08:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

THe time has come to update my storage array. I need to build a second array and move non-media to it (photos, program files , backups, etc).

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good SATA RAID 5 or 6 controller card that allows for hot swapping and adding new drives (thus changing the size of the array) on-the-fly?

post #1450 of 1626 Old 04-22-2011, 09:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboranadum View Post

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good SATA RAID 5 or 6 controller card that allows for hot swapping and adding new drives (thus changing the size of the array) on-the-fly?

I'm currently using an Areca 1680IX card, and I've had zero problems with it. Pretty similar size array as you, seven 2 TB drives in RAID5 (just added the 7th drive last week actually, was running low on space). The updated models (1880IX) have gotten good reviews, and are probably one of the fastest controllers on the market (not that it matters). My only negative is the web interface provided by Areca. It's not the flashiest front end out there, but it does what it needs to do.

Promise is another good manufacturer with great support, take a look at the SuperTrak EX 6 Gb/s series.

Just a few suggestions for moving to hardware RAID...buy a model that supports a Battery Backup Unit (BBU) and buy the battery. Even if you have your PC connected to a UPS, you still definitely want the BBU as an additional measure. Also, check the Hardware Compatibility List and make sure the drives you use are listed.
post #1451 of 1626 Old 04-22-2011, 09:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDvids4all View Post

I'm currently using an Areca 1680IX card, and I've had zero problems with it. Pretty similar size array as you, seven 2 TB drives in RAID5 (just added the 7th drive last week actually, was running low on space). The updated models (1880IX) have gotten good reviews, and are probably one of the fastest controllers on the market (not that it matters).

Thanks for that suggestion, but WOW! I'd add that a negative is the cost...about $900 (for the 1880IX)! WOW...that's an expensive card. Anything cheaper (think order of magnitude cheaper)?

post #1452 of 1626 Old 04-22-2011, 09:41 AM
Advanced Member

Well jeez, I thought you already knew they were expensive...

How many ports (drives) are you looking for?

EDIT: This might be a little more paletable...
HighPoint RocketRAID 3530
Better price range? ($350)

I've never owned a HighPoint card, but they get decent, middle of the road reviews.
post #1453 of 1626 Old 04-22-2011, 10:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well jeez, I thought you already knew they were expensive...

Yea, I guess I knew they were expensive, but I was thinking in the $3-400 neighborhood.

I would like to build an array of six 2 GB drives using RAID 5 or 6 that I'll use the card (or cards) for. That should give me 10TB of space. I'm going to build a second array (using software RAID 5) of four 2 TB drives. That will give me about 6 TB usable in the second array.

post #1454 of 1626 Old 04-22-2011, 10:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboranadum View Post

I would like to build an array of six 2 GB drives...

You know you can't even hold a single BD on that right? Sorry, I couldn't resist, I know you meant TB.

The HighPoint card I linked above is the lowest priced card that will support 8+ drives by itself, as well as RAID6 and BBU support. Actually, that price is a steal, it's going for almost twice as much everywhere else but the egg right now.
post #1455 of 1626 Old 04-22-2011, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helo Driver View Post

Will do...thanks!

Again...great job! Here in the Los Angeles area...there are no such things as basements. You're lucky to have them...and what you did with the space is incredible!

Woo an LA area build, yay.
post #1456 of 1626 Old 04-26-2011, 01:30 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Adaptec 5805 or Areca 1222. I have the Areca 1222 in my 16TB server, and it rocks. Bad thing is that it only supports 8 drives. If you need more than 8, checkout the Adaptec 5805. It is an awesome card for the money, and supports more than 8 drives by using expanders. Slightly over your budget, but well worth it IMHO as it supports a ton of different RAID configurations.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-098-_-Product

ABS!NTH
PSN: ABS1NTH
XBL: ABSiNTH69
post #1457 of 1626 Old 05-02-2011, 01:37 PM

CJ,

I just wanted to add to the compliments with the finishing of your theater. Excellent work and detail with the step by step process especially with the photos that you took and the detail of lists of what you have done and was "to do". I like how you did the SMX screen with the speakers behind it.

I also liked the stage and the 5 screen lights. I have to admit that is large theater, and if that theater is only part of the basement, then you entire basement must be huge.

I like the color of the red that you chose for the walls, but I personally will probably not choose a color like that when I do my build. Everyone's taste is normal to themselves so there is not such thing as a better color.
post #1458 of 1626 Old 05-03-2011, 07:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the kind words. It was a journey, but we are really enjoying movies in the theater. The SMX screen is wonderful and I'm so glad that I was able to make that happen. I was iniitally thinking DIY, but now that I've owned a professional screen, there's no way I'd go back.

Good luck with your build!

post #1459 of 1626 Old 05-25-2011, 06:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Just a few suggestions for moving to hardware RAID...buy a model that supports a Battery Backup Unit (BBU) and buy the battery. Even if you have your PC connected to a UPS, you still definitely want the BBU as an additional measure. Also, check the Hardware Compatibility List and make sure the drives you use are listed.

Sorry for the late response. I'm just getting around to finishing the research and ordering something. I can't find mention of the BBU. Do you know which ones support this?

post #1460 of 1626 Old 05-26-2011, 09:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

OK, I'm in the middle of my research for a new SATA RAID controller and have run into a snag. I really like the Promise SuperTrak STEX8760EX card, but my MB and drives are not listed on the compatability list on the compatability list.

My equipment is as follows:

MB: Gigabyte GA-880-UD3H
Drives: Seagate Momentus 7200.4 ST9250410AS

What happens if the MB and drives are not on the compatability list? Is this just a "tested" list of is this a list of the items that will only work with the card?

post #1461 of 1626 Old 06-18-2011, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

EArly father's day present for me...new Behringer amp for the Buttkickers. Going to hook it up today and will post impressions after.

post #1462 of 1626 Old 06-18-2011, 11:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Very cool!!!

post #1463 of 1626 Old 06-18-2011, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 57
post #1464 of 1626 Old 06-20-2011, 06:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
Come on man, where's the update? You guys that take FOREVER to post updates are killing me.

Tom Logan
Everytime I reply the thread ends
Need motivation? Get LOGANED
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1014847

An as-yet un-named theater designed by Big-WarrenP-BritInVA
post #1465 of 1626 Old 06-20-2011, 07:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlogan6797 View Post

Come on man, where's the update? You guys that take FOREVER to post updates are killing me.

You are too funny Logan.
post #1466 of 1626 Old 06-29-2011, 10:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

As you'll remember, I got an early Father's day present...I got a Behringer Europower EP4000 Professional 4,000-watt stereo amp. This dude is a beast. It is large (deeper than I expected) and heavy (37 lbs).

I got the amp installed and connected to the buttkickers. This required adding a shelf to the rack and rewiring the buttkickers in the theater.

I am running 3 buttkicker minis on the left side, and 4 on the right. There has been much tinkering with the setup, and I'm still not happy with the results. It seems to take a lot of power to get these rolling. I had to turn up the bass 12 dB and I dropped the volume on the sub. This seemed to get me the power that I needed to make the buttkickers working. I have the volume on the amp turned up pretty high, and the buttkickers don't seem over whelming. In fact, I think I need to tinker with the setup some more to get them to begin working at a lower volume point.

I don't know what I was thinking, but this seems to require a lot of tweaking to get them working properly.

post #1467 of 1626 Old 06-29-2011, 10:43 AM
Advanced Member

Hi:

My receiver has one sub woofer output. I need to connect this one output to both butt kicker amplifier and the subwoofer. The documentation says I should buy a Y cable. I tried looking Y cable at monoprice.com and did not find any.

I was wondering if you are using a Y cable, what type of cable is it and where did you buy it?

Thanks
post #1468 of 1626 Old 06-29-2011, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by hehateme View Post

Hi:

My receiver has one sub woofer output. I need to connect this one output to both butt kicker amplifier and the subwoofer. The documentation says I should buy a Y cable. I tried looking Y cable at monoprice.com and did not find any.

I was wondering if you are using a Y cable, what type of cable is it and where did you buy it?

Thanks

hehateme, don't search for Y search for sub splitter:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

Michael

PSN: Chiahead
Chiahead's Man Cave - Indexed
Loganed on 8/29/2008
post #1469 of 1626 Old 06-29-2011, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hehateme View Post

My receiver has two subwoofer outs, and I connected one set of buttkickers to the left channel in on the amp. For the other channel, I am using a Y adapter with one leg going to the sub and the other to the right channel of the amp.

Radio Shack has these Y adapters in stock. They are only about $5.

post #1470 of 1626 Old 06-29-2011, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
Quote:

I got a Behringer Europower EP4000 Professional 4,000-watt stereo amp.

And all this time I thought it was thunder I heard last night. Between you and cathan's IB, I'll NEVER get any sleep.

Tom Logan
Everytime I reply the thread ends
Need motivation? Get LOGANED
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1014847

An as-yet un-named theater designed by Big-WarrenP-BritInVA
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction