It's been a while since I provided any update. There has not been much going on enhancement-wise. We've been watching movies like crazy and have really enjoyed watching the Star Wars box set on BR. What a wonderful set of movies!
During my build, I purchased two large lighted poster frames from a video store that was going out of business. There are large metal boxes with the ability to quickly change out posters as needed...they retail for over $1600 each when new! They were all scratched up and some of the lights don't work, but I thought I could fix them up and add them to the room. I painted them and put them away for later. Well, I need the closet room that these were stored in, so I decided to finish them up and get them installed. Here's a picture with the plastic diffuser panel and poster frame holders removed (the black pieces on the left and right are in place temporarily).
Detail of the chase lights and mirrored channel
I installed a new set up flourescent lamps in one of the units, and set about trying to figure out what the issue was with the chase lights.
I found that they all work, just some of the bulbs were burned out. I ordered a set of bulbs for one unit, and will hang this as soon as they arrive.
I also installed a switch on the side of the first unit. This will allow me to turn it on and off without having to open the front.
The other unit will need more help. The mirrored channel pieces are tarnished and the mirror coating is flaking off.
I may paint the channel on the second unit, or I may not choose to finish it at all, we'll see.