Old 08-12-2008, 11:09 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by carboranadum View Post

Pretty sad when there's a server crash and the server loses 8 days of postings, but your thread only loses one or two....

...sigh...

CJ

Or none in my case!

If I had it to do all over again, I'd still hit that shot.
Ht Build

Poker table and bar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2008, 11:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I'm actually pretty surprised that AVS doesn't backup more frequently than every 10 days.
Old 08-12-2008, 12:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mn_hokie View Post

I'm actually pretty surprised that AVS doesn't backup more frequently than every 10 days.

I don't think that they said what their backup schedule is or exactly what the issue was. They just said that they had a catastrophic crash and lost data. Maybe they lost HDDs on their database server and their backup server, or maybe they THOUGHT they were backing it up regularly, only to find that the backups were not done correctly. I've experienced both scenarios in my work life. It usually is an eye opener.

CJ

Follow my build here: Harvest Ridge Theater
Old 08-12-2008, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
In spite of what everyone says, you CAN'T plan for a real disaster. You can only plan for what you know and what know you don't know. You can't plan for what you don't know you don't know.

Translated for those non PMP professionsals....

You can plan for the questions you have answers to.
You can even plan for the questions you DON'T have answers to.
You CAN'T plan for questions you haven't even asked yet.

THAT's why they pay us the BIG bucks.

Tom Logan
Everytime I reply the thread ends
Need motivation? Get LOGANED
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1014847

An as-yet un-named theater designed by Big-WarrenP-BritInVA
Old 08-12-2008, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Old 08-12-2008, 01:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Possibly. A quick edit may have cleared it up. Try it again and see if you can follow it.

Tom Logan

Old 08-12-2008, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Old 08-12-2008, 08:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I'm drinking and understood it on the first read = PMPs make bucks because when the sh*t hits the fan it splatters all over their face...

The Zen Garden HT - Move Along...There is Nothing To See Here.
Old 08-13-2008, 06:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Which is why I refrain from posting pics of myself.

Tom Logan

Old 08-18-2008, 10:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I finally made the decision to have drywall delivered for the theater. We had the theater, bathroom, and equipment closet that still needed drywall hung. We needed drywall and decided to obtain quotes from a local drywall specialty supplier. We had purchased drywall from big blue, but we wanted to use 5/8" drywall in a size larger than 4'x8'. We used 12' drywall in the rest of the basement, and it worked out well. I wound up having drywall delivered by the specialty supplier.

I ordered 38 sheets of 54" x 12' of 5/8" on Friday. Paid $1.50 per sheet for it to be hauled around to the basement. Best money spent! That was so easy! The rock was $0.03 per SF more expensive than 4'x8's at HD or Lowe's, but they delivered to the house for free...something that the big boxes won't do.

There's no way my wife and I could have unloaded and stacked the drywall as the three guys that delivered it did.

Here are some photos of the guys moving it around to the basement:

All of the drywall on the truck was mine (none of the mud was though).

The boom on the delivery truck extended 40'. The company sent three guys. Two would lift two sheets of drywall and move them to the basement (about 150'), while the other guy would move a sheet by himself. The drywall weighs about 118 lbs each sheet! It took the team about 45 minutes to move all of the rock to the basement and clean up the wrapping.

Here's the rock in the basement. I had the guys move about 7 sheets to the theater. I think this will be enough for the ceiling.

Here's the stack in the main part of the basement. All of this will be used in the theater.

While I was at the specialty supplier, I found that they had the metal furring strips (AKA HAT channel) that needed. I looked at the channel at HD. It was 25 gauge and sold for $5.99 for a 10' section. The 20 gauge stuff that the drywall specialty shop had was only $0.38 a foot (37% cheaper). I bought 12 foot lengths. I also picked up some Grabber brand screws to attach the drywall to the furring strips. I took BigMouthInDC's advise and picked up a box. I also tried the Hold-Tite brand that I got from the big boxes. The Hold-Tite worked fine for wood in the rest of the basement, but I broke heads off the few that I tried. They also had USG acoustical caulk in 29oz tubes for a mere $4.

Check out your local drywall specialty store before you buy. You may be surprised by what you find!

CJ

Old 08-18-2008, 10:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

While we were waiting for the drywall to be delivered, we installed the HAT channel in the theater. We used RSIC-I clips to attach the HAT channels to the joists above. We didn't take photos of the installation of the clips, but it was rather straight forward. We followed the installation instructions found on the PAC International website.

Here are some photos of the installation:

Towards the back of the theater:

Towards the screen wall:

Back of the theater seating area:

We are working to get drywall installed in the theater by Memorial day (the one year anniversary of the build).

CJ

Old 08-19-2008, 06:34 AM
AVS Special Member

NICE! You're making great progress. Room looks like you've done a really nice job.

I've gotta find some time....last weekend got taken up, this weeked is taken, we jut got an invite to OC for the LOONG Weekend and the weekend after that MAY be taken (about 90% probability) and at least one of the two days the following weekend.

Tom Logan

Old 08-19-2008, 09:19 AM

If you don't mind my asking, who was the speciality drywall supplier you used? I am about a month away from drywall, but figured I should start looking around. Capital Building Supply in Vienna looks to be the closest to me.
Old 08-19-2008, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbain View Post

If you don't mind my asking, who was the speciality drywall supplier you used? I am about a month away from drywall, but figured I should start looking around. Capital Building Supply in Vienna looks to be the closest to me.

That's who I used mainly because they delivered the stuff into my basement. If I didn't require the walk in service, I would have order through TW Perry. The customer service at TW Perry (Springfield) has been top notch. I can send you the contact info for the rep I've used. She's a gem. Just let me know.

Old 08-19-2008, 11:43 AM
Old

Quote:

I ordered 38 sheets of 54" x 12' of 5/8" on Friday. Paid $1.50 per sheet for it to be hauled around to the basement. Best money spent! That was so easy!

Man, I wish I knew about that when I brought the DW into my house.

my brother and I carried over 100 sheets of 4x12 of DW from the front of the house to the back basement.
i will never do that again!

Anyhow, awesome progress. Keep it up.
I finished DW and mud over the weekend, I'm painting now

Old.
Old 08-19-2008, 03:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbain View Post

I used Building Specialties in Winchester, VA (about 67 miles west of Vienna). They have locations in Hagarstown, Manassas, etc. You can find them on the web here: http://www.lwsupply.com/centerloc/4_...avmethod=quick

I have a friend that used Capital and they worked out well. Good luck.

CJ

Old 08-19-2008, 03:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old View Post

Man, I wish I knew about that when I brought the DW into my house.

my brother and I carried over 100 sheets of 4x12 of DW from the front of the house to the back basement.
i will never do that again!

There is no way that I could have done this myself. It was a struggle to move the large sheets from the main part of the basement into the theater.

The sheets were really large and heavy, but once they were in the theater, they were not too hard to hang. The hardest part was hanging the top sheet for the walls. The bottoms could rest on a spacer (to give it a small gap between the floor and the drywall), but the upper sheets had to be lifted onto the lower sheets, the boxes cut out, and the sheets screwed into place.

I am really happy that we used 54" wide and 12' long sheets for the ceiling. We only have two seams in the main part of the ceiling. If we would have used 4' wide sheets, we would have needed three seams.

CJ

Old 08-19-2008, 03:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I forgot how heavy 5/8" was. I hauled 6 sheets of 4x8 to my theater this weekend and it wiped me out. Maybe I am just out of shape.
Old 08-19-2008, 04:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

When we began the project on Memorial day weekend in 2007, we set a goal to have the entire basement in drywall by the first anniversary. With that date closing in, we stepped up the pace and worked to finish up the punch list before we could begin to hang drywall in the theater. Each time I would look over the theater, I would find more items that needed to be addressed before the theater could be closed up. We started working the punch list on the afternoon of 05/09. That work carried into the early morning hours of 05/11. The wife stopped working early in the evening, and I kept going. I finally got tired around 1:AM on the 11th...but the room was ready to be closed up!

The major items on the punch list was to install the A/V wiring for the theater and bar area, as well as finish insulating some areas that we had put off for some time.

The next post will detail all of the A/V cabling that was installed in the theater.

We had thought that closing up this room would not be that big a deal. Boy, were we wrong! We started to get really nervous about forgetting something...

Here are some photos right before we finished up for the morning:

Rear wall:

Screen wall:

Soffit above the screen wall showing the wiring run:

Bar TV will be on the other side of this wall on the right:

Area around the plumbing and electrical access points in the left back of the theater:

Note the large cable for a future subpanel that we may install in the HVAC room under the stairs. We have been talking about building a room under the future deck that may be used for a shop or screened in porch. The cable was nearly $100, but does allow the room to be future-proofed should we want to install lthe subpanel at some point in the future!

Front projector location:

Wiring closet rats nest:

I went to bed at 1:30am...the room was ready for drywall on the ceiling later that day.

CJ

Old 08-19-2008, 04:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdtheater View Post

I forgot how heavy 5/8" was. I hauled 6 sheets of 4x8 to my theater this weekend and it wiped me out. Maybe I am just out of shape.

Maybe, but that stuff is heavy. 5/8" sheetrock weighs 2.2 lbs/square foot.

Here are the weights of some popular sizes:

48" x 8' = 70.4 lbs
54" x 8' = 79.2 lbs
48" x 12' = 105.6 lbs
54" x 12' = 118.8 lbs

No matter how you calculate it...that stuff is heavy.

I will tell you that after working with the 5/8" stuff, the 1/2" sheetrock seems really light.

CJ

Old 08-19-2008, 04:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I thought that I would detail the A/V cabling that we installed in the theater.

A/V cabling was ordered from Monoprice AND Blue Jeans Cable. We ordered most of the cabling from Monoprice. A few cables were out of stock, so we ordered these from Blue Jeans. These were ordered at the last minute, but all arrived a few days before we needed them. The Monoprice order showed up less than 24 hours after we ordered them (paid for regular shipping). The Blue Jeans order arrived 2 days later (paid for 2 day shipping). Both orders were as required and both sets of cables seemed to be of high quality.

The plan called for wiring as follows:

Front projector location to the equipment closet:
2 x HDMI
1 x Component cable
2 x Cat 5
1 x RG-6
Electrical cable (dead - using a PowerBridge type of solution)

Front projector location to screen wall:
2 x Cat 5

Rear Projector location to equipment closet:
2 x cat 5
1 x RG-6

Rear projector location to screen wall:
1 x cat 5
1 x RG-6

Equipment closet to screen wall:
2 x RG-6 (for subs)
4 x cat 5 (2 x for behind screen wall, 2 x for bar area)
1 x HDMI (for bar TV)
1 x Component cable with audio (for bar TV)
1 x RG-6 (for Bar TV)
2 x electrical cables (dead - using a PowerBridge type of solution...1 for bar TV, second for area behind screen wall - subs, etc)

Equipment closet to riser location:
2 x cat 5
2 x RG-6

Equipment closet to back of theater:
2 x RG-6
2 x cat 5

In addition, we installed a HDMI from the wiring closet to the bathroom (over the toilet location). This may be used to rebroadcast what is showing in the theater. We'll see if it gets used!

CJ

Old 08-19-2008, 07:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

5/9/08 - Drywall Delivery

I finally made the decision to have drywall delivered for the theater.
CJ

Dude...I am so confused on your thread... You post as if you are documenting things that happened 3 months ago..

In June you were posting about March. Today you are posting about May...

Where are you today??? Last I read, you were 3.5 months into drywall finishing l... (there has to be some type of Logan prize for that).

Don't get me wrong. I love the drywall truck pics as much as the next guy. Who wouldn't want to get behind the controls of that big boom arm... Do you think they would let you play with it???

I remember when they delivered mine. 76 sheets of 54 x12 &14'. I have a walkout so they needed to deliver around to the back... in 2 feet of snow. When they got there the two guys were a little bummed that they needed to huff it through the snow so I got out my man-eater snow blower and ran a path down the empty lot next to me big enough for their truck to back down. With the long boom they were able to get within about 25 feet of the door. I couldn't even imagine having to have moved that stuff myself. I would probably still be in traction.

Hope your dry wall FINISHING is going well (or even done).

Looking forward to some more "real time" pics. Keep it cranking... At my pace, you will probably catch me

P.S. I know, as Cathan said earlier,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathan View Post

For what it's worth, drywall just doesn't lend itself to updating build threads much. It sucks up time, but with little to document and show.

... but keep it coming anyway.

P.S.S. 200 posts!!! keep it going.

Man, that took longer than I thought it would...

Loganed 4/6/08 Logan's Hero 5/1/08

RPh Drew's INDEXED Thread - Logan's Hero... for now...

2010 - The year of the Shed
Old 08-19-2008, 07:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yes, I know it's a bit confusing, but I am posting in chronological order in an attempt to share my experiences...what worked and what didn't. I have set a goal to get the thread up to date by the end of the month. I don't think it will ever be possible to maintain real time posts here.

Those comittments were posted to the Loganator's thread, but were lost in the crash. I didn't print them out as you suggested, but I'm going from memory.

As others have said, finishing drywall is the black hole that people fall into for about 3-6 months. I've been at it for 3.5 months and have made good progress.

If I can keep this posting frequency up, I'll have the thread up to date in no time.

..and no, they didn't let me drive the big arm of drywall...I did ask though.

CJ

Old 08-19-2008, 08:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

After working into the morning on a large pre-close in punch list for the theater, we began to hang drywall on the ceiling in the theater. This was a big deal for us, as the theater is the last large room to be drywalled. The equipment room and bathroom are the only other rooms that remain.

We measured the main part of the ceiling, and had to cut about 8 inches off the 12' panel. This caused a bit of hassle, as the sheetrock that we were using was 54" wide and our drywall T square was only 48" long. That meant that we needed to use a long level to cut the drywall...not as handy as a T square, but it worked.

Here are some photos:

Here's the first sheet on the lift. It was a bear to get these on the lift!

Threading a lighting wire through the sheet:

Up it goes!

Screwing it in. Take Biggy's advice here...push it up close to the HAT channel THEN screw it in. Works much better than stripping out screws while attempting to pull the drywall close to the track.

Note the lines across the drywall. These were added because I couldn't consistently hit the HAT channel. These worked very well.

Here's the main part of the ceiling up:

Projector location with A/V cabling installed. Note the insulation that has been installed:

Looking towards the back of the theater:

We insulated the soffit where the screen wall would be. Notice the HVAC line that has been taped closed. This line will run into the soffit on the left and an outlet installed. Looking towards the screen wall:

Here's the other side of the soffit.

All in all, those large sheets were a bear to work with, but we were able to avoid one seam in the ceiling!

CJ

Old 08-19-2008, 08:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

After a few days off, we wandered down into the theater to hang drywall in the back portion of the theater. This area is behind the rear soffit that covers a large beam that traverses the room. The center of this space is where the projecter will be mounted.

Here's the drywall mounted on the sides of the rear ceiling.

The space in the center was covered with a sheet of 5/8" plywood. This will provide a stable base for mounting the projector. Holes were drilled every 12" to allow for cables to be pulled through (if I can remember where the holes are!).

Here's the ceiling finished. The second layer of drywall will cover all of this.

CJ

Old 08-19-2008, 09:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

We began to hang drywall on the walls of the theater. The bottom sheets were hung about 1/2" off the floor. This is supposedly to keep the drywall from absorbing moisture from the floor, should any be present. These joints will be filled with acoustical caulking. Some will remember that I caulked the space where the bottom plate meets the floor (I did this in the entire basement).

Here are photos of the back corner of the theater (the plumbing access point and electrical panel will be covered with plugs).

Back of the theater:

Also hung sheetrock on the underside of the soffit where the screen wall will be:

We also hung drywall in the equipment closet (only have these two areas to go).

In addition, we pulled speaker wire through the blue smurf tubes. This was done with my wife helping. She maintained a steady pulling pressure on the wire while I pushed it into the tubes from the wiring closet. This worked much better than me pulling it myself. I nearly had to run out for some wire lube. The 250' roll of 12 gauge wire from Monoprice was barely enough for the 7 wires that I ran. The left, center, and right wires were run through the gray conduit that we ran from the wiring closet to the screen wall.

We nearly had an emergency in the theater at the end of the day. I had pulled a batt of insulation down and left it hanging on the floor while I worked to secure an electrical wire. At the end of the day, I started cleaning up the entire basement. I had vacuumed the theater and had dragged the shop vac into the rest of the basement to continue the cleanup. The vacuum hung up on something and I pulled it free. Apparently, when I pulled the vacuum free, the cord was wrapped around the twin temporary work light that I was using in the theater. When I pulled the vacuum, the cord pulled the light over onto the insulation batt that was laying on the floor. Only one light was on, but it was pointed directly into the paper facing of the insulation. These lights get very hot. I smelled something funny, but didn't think anything about it. The wife even came down from the ground floor and asked if anything was burning. It was then that I turned off the vacuum and began to look around. When I went into the theater, I saw the work light laying directly on the paper facing of the batt. The large black mark was too hot to touch, and the basement had the scent of burning tar paper.

I do not know why it did not catch on fire, but I'm certainly glad that it didn't. If it had, the fire would have traveled up the paper facing and engulfed the entire area before I could have done anything to stop it. My entire family was in the house, and in course of hanging the ceiling in the main portion of the basement, I had turned off the smoke alarm electrical circuit in the basement and even removed the unit in the basement!

Thank God for small favors.

CJ

Old 08-20-2008, 10:55 AM
Old

Wow, talk about close call. I'm glad all is ok.

Excellent progress though, keep it up!

Old
Old 08-20-2008, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Nice pics. Good work.

Glad you caught the light in time. I use one of those occaisonally and they DO get hot. I reckon it won't be long before someone actually DOES burn down a house and then they we will get banned. I only caught a joist on fire ONCE while sweating plumbing. Luckily, I smelled it because I sure didn't see it.

Tom Logan

Old 08-20-2008, 02:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

I thought that I would detail the A/V cabling that we installed in the theater.

A/V cabling was ordered from Monoprice AND Blue Jeans Cable. We ordered most of the cabling from Monoprice. A few cables were out of stock, so we ordered these from Blue Jeans. These were ordered at the last minute, but all arrived a few days before we needed them. The Monoprice order showed up less than 24 hours after we ordered them (paid for regular shipping). The Blue Jeans order arrived 2 days later (paid for 2 day shipping). Both orders were as required and both sets of cables seemed to be of high quality.

The plan called for wiring as follows:

Front projector location to the equipment closet:
2 x HDMI
1 x Component cable
2 x Cat 5
1 x RG-6

Front projector location to screen wall:
2 x Cat 5

Rear Projector location to equipment closet:
2 x cat 5
1 x RG-6

Rear projector location to screen wall:
1 x cat 5
1 x RG-6

Equipment closet to screen wall:
2 x RG-6 (for subs)
4 x cat 5 (2 x for behind screen wall, 2 x for bar area)
1 x HDMI (for bar TV)
1 x Component cable with audio (for bar TV)
1 x RG-6 (for Bar TV)
2 x electrical cables (dead - using a PowerBridge type of solution...1 for bar TV, second for area behind screen wall - subs, etc)

Equipment closet to riser location:
2 x cat 5
2 x RG-6

Equipment closet to back of theater:
2 x RG-6
2 x cat 5

In addition, we installed a HDMI from the wiring closet to the bathroom (over the toilet location). This may be used to rebroadcast what is showing in the theater. We'll see if it gets used!

CJ

Could you give more detail what all the CAT5 is being used for? I am ready to insulate and close up my walls, but have the fear I am forgetting something.

Thanks,

-HD
Old 08-20-2008, 02:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The cat5 between the equipment room and the screen wall is a jack of all trades wire. It can be used for IR relay, to provide a connection point for IP type devices, etc. Same thing for the connections between the projector and the equipment room and the projector to screen. They were put in for future use. I had plenty of cat5 available, so I installed them now (it's easier than doing it later).

The cat5 for the riser will terminate in internet jacks installed in the front of the riser. Same for the cat5 to the back wall of the theater. These will allow for future connectivity for IP devices (home automation system, remote control programming, laptop, etc.). Two of the cat5 run to the screen wall will be used to provide internet connectivity to the bar area (on the other side of the screen wall).

Hope that helps.

CJ