A week or so later, we had a visit from my in-laws. I have to say that I love them to death, but I'm not too social after a few days, particularly when I have a great project sitting right below me! My father in law and I stole away to the basement on day 4 to frame out the equipment room.
This was Glen's first time framing a structure, so we learned as we went along.
Here's a photo of the back wall and doorway into one side of the HVAC/Water heater area:
The server rack is atached to the floor, so I'm going to try to work around it as much as I can. I'm going to move the patch panels, routers, and switch to a small wall-mounted rack on the back wall (just above where it is currently). The rack may be used as the equipment rack on the other side of this room.
Along the way, I needed to be able to add a wet bar outside the theater (on the other side of the screen wall). To do that, I needed to add a Y to the plumbing stack.
We cut the stack out, and regiggered it so that the Y could be added. When the builder plumbed the house originally, they did not make the waste stack perpendicular to the slab. When I "fixed" it, I made it work so that the wall could continue where it was (hiding the waste stack) without having to bump it out. It's water tight, just not 100% perpendicular. You'll remember that the fresh water inlet (the black pipe) was moved to it's new location to allow for only one access panel in the theater. This stack and breaker box is located in the left rear corner of the theater.
Any idea how I can treat the waste water pipe so you can't hear it in the theater when someone flushes a toilet upstairs? I was thinking about wrapping it in Lincoustic, but I don't know if that will work.
Also along the way, I relocated the water hammer arrestor. This blue device sits between the inside plumbing and the outside inlet. It is charged with pressurized air in one half and water in the other half. It is supposed to stop water hammer(s?) from entering the house and damaging the water heater and other stuff. It was originally inside the equipment room above the server stack. We moved it inside the HVAC/WH closet.
I got the water back on with only about 15 hours being without fresh water...
You see, I worked on it with the in-laws here late on one evening. When I realized we needed additional fittings, I drove over to BigBlue and found out that they were closed. I asked a clerk in the parking lot why they had closed early...as it was only 8:30pm. She said they always closed at 8:00pm on SUNDAY....I thought it was SATURDAY (they close at 10:00pm on Saturday)!
I went home and borrowed some water in buckets from the neighbors for flushing and spent the night hoping that the in-laws would just forget this little "issue".
I was there at 6:00am the next morning to pick up the fittings that I needed. The plumbing was working again by 9:00ish.
I'm absolutely certain that they will be telling this story ages and ages from now. ...sigh....