Narges Home Theater, Planning and Construction... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 133 Old 12-10-2007, 09:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am in the planning phase of finishing my basement. The home is new construction, with an unfinished basement. I've been working on preliminary layouts, and such and have come up with the following...

The first phase will be the front 1/2 of the basement, which will include a storage room, full bath, and my theater.

The theater will be appx 11X17, and will will hopefully have 2 rows, 1 w/ ariser of seats for a total of either 6 or 7 total seats.

As I am planning I have run into the first of many issues. The issue is that my electrical main is located in 1 wall of the theater. When the room is finished I'd like to have this "hidden", ie accessible, but not visible. Some ideas include building a false column that will enclose the access panels, or perhaps building shadow boxes which will hold a large movie posters, one of which will sit over the box. I am leaning toward the latter since with an 11' width, I dont want to comprimise if possible.

Eric

LOGANED on 8/14/08

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 133 Old 12-10-2007, 09:32 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nargesem View Post

As I am planning I have run into the first of many issues. The issue is that my electrical main is located in 1 wall of the theater. When the room is finished I'd like to have this "hidden", ie accessible, but not visible. Some ideas include building a false column that will enclose the access panels, or perhaps building shadow boxes which will hold a large movie posters, one of which will sit over the box. I am leaning toward the latter since with an 11' width, I dont want to comprimise if possible.

Congrats on getting ready to do this. My advice is check with local codes before you do anything to hinder access to an electrical panel. Usually it is specified that it must have 3 feet (or something like that) of space all around it, and can't be hidden by anything. I wouldn't want you to plan your theater based on the premise of doing something entirely against code. Good luck!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 133 Old 12-10-2007, 09:52 AM - Thread Starter

Nope certainly don't want to violate any code(s). My old house had a finished basement, and the main was hidden behind an access panel, it was nice for a rec room, but I really want somehting that not only is up to code, but can't be easily seen... Anyone know where I can easily find the NEC online?

Eric

LOGANED on 8/14/08

post #4 of 133 Old 03-12-2008, 11:26 AM - Thread Starter

Well, after months of lurking, scheming, and planning I received approval from both the county, and more importantly my wife to begin construction of my theater, and the front half of the basement. This first phase will entail adding a full bath, bar area, and an the Theater. I'm doing all the work myself, and I'm planning on taking about a year to get to the "close the permits" stage. I'll pick my equipment at I get close to the install stage... I'll try to post some pictures of the unfinished space and the plans tonight. But Let the Dust Fly, I'm permitted and ready to go!

Eric

LOGANED on 8/14/08

post #5 of 133 Old 03-12-2008, 12:25 PM

Good luck with the build! Make sure you post plenty of pictures and "how tos" so the rest of us can "borrow" from your experience.

Chris

Starting Drywall

"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son."
post #6 of 133 Old 03-12-2008, 12:30 PM - Thread Starter

Will do. I couldn't have gotten this far without "borrowing" ideas, and using others' pretty pictures to boost the WAF on this one!

Eric

LOGANED on 8/14/08

post #7 of 133 Old 03-12-2008, 07:30 PM - Thread Starter

The proposed plan.

Eric

LOGANED on 8/14/08

post #8 of 133 Old 03-12-2008, 07:32 PM - Thread Starter

First Up: The Stairs to the basement:
The stair treads and landing will be covered by hardwood, with a capret runner when complete. Planning to use the same carpet that the theater is done with to tie things together.

After the turn, the last 1.2 of the stairs:
The wall on the right will be opened up after the framing for the rest of the area is complete. I was able to visit another instance of my model of house and determine that its no load bearing so, by taking it out, it will reall open the space.

Ahh, the best part, the screen wall. Looking from the back of the theater towards the front.

Home of the future storage area. Orignally it was going to be a little bar area, but when I drew it out on the floor, it was much too small... Alas, there will be one in phase 2!

Builder supplied rough ins for the full bath that will go in as part of this phase of the project.

The Aformentioned wall that will be coming out from about 3 ft from the corner.

Eric

LOGANED on 8/14/08

post #9 of 133 Old 05-05-2008, 06:31 AM - Thread Starter

The Storage Area, now that I've framed it out!

Looking back towards the location of the full bath. I still need to finish the framing here, I have to move some low voltage wiring about 3 inches to make room for my headers.

Bathroom framing in progress! I'll have to drop the ceiling by ~6 inches from the current 8'9" to accomodate the DWV that runs through the midde of the ceiling...

The back wall of the theater. Using 2X6 with stagger studs here to limit noise into the future rec room area. doing the same with the stair wall as well

Future home of the electronics cabinet. Finished the frmain of this yesterday, just havent taken pictures yet.

Last but not least! The screen wall is framed, and ready to go.

Framing to do list:
--add studs to stair wall to make staggered stud, and close in the electronics area
--Frame back and side walls of bathroom
--Door frmaes for: bathroom, theater, access to unfinished area, and under stair storage
--Soffits around existing HVAC, gas and plumbing
--Theater soffits

Hopefully, I can get this done before the end of May!!!

Eric

LOGANED on 8/14/08

post #10 of 133 Old 05-05-2008, 09:20 AM

Looks good so far I'd say! Good luck (I'll be watching). BTW - those are some interesting silver walls you have...looks like a Barbarella set.
post #11 of 133 Old 05-12-2008, 06:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quick update... This weekend I finished framing the bathroom, and put in the last of the sill plates in the theater. Also finished most of the door entry into the theater room. Hopefully some pictures will follow this evening. BTW has anyone noticed that when left to their own devices sub contractors will do the damndest things? So far I've encountered:

plumbing supply lines run on the BOTTOM of the floor joists, rather than in the cavity
wiring stapled to the inside edge of the sills,

and by far my favorite:

The HVAC contractor KINKED the supply to a vent to get around the main gas line... It literally went out the top of the trunk line, down past the trunk, under the gas line then to the vent. Needless to say I'll be redoing that one....

All in all, by the end of the week I should be down to soffits, the electronics cabinet, and 3 doorways!

Eric

LOGANED on 8/14/08

post #12 of 133 Old 05-14-2008, 06:54 AM - Thread Starter

Framing updates....

I put most of the doorway into the the theater in this weekend. Expanding the wall from a 2X4 to staggered studs. Hopefully this, combined with DD, and possibly GG will keep sound out of the rest of the basement.

Another angle of the theater door 30" solid core door will be used here

Looking out toward the the stoarge area, and into the "foyer" area

The future Electronics Cabinet. Also staggered stud 2X4 walls

The screen wall, planning on a small stage, similar to rsprance's Arthouse Theater

Planning to drywall up to the boxes, and then build a removable fabric & insulation panel to cover them. Why can't sub's figure out that the utilities area is for utilities?

And last but not least... The bathroom area. I finished framing the back and side walls as well. The whole ceiling in here will be dropped to 8' to accomodate the DWV line.

Still to do:

Soffits in theater, and foyer
Finish inside wall & theater door
Bathroom ceiling
Bathroom door
Ceiling framing in bathroom
Under stair storage door
Door separating the finished and unfinished areas.

Still planning on finishing framing by the end of the month.

Eric

LOGANED on 8/14/08

post #13 of 133 Old 06-02-2008, 06:52 AM - Thread Starter

Finally, I got all the walls up, and am down to installing soffits... I can see the end in sight! Slightly behind schedule, but moving forward...

Doorway and interior staggered stud wall is finished.

I moved the mains closer to the wall by replacing the 2X4 standoffs with 5/4 PT decking material. This moves them to with 1" of the fronts of the studs. Should work perfectly for DD & GG...

The future electronics cabinet. I need to add 1 framing member to the bottom center to finish this area off.

The newly finished doorway into the theater...

The three doorways. Left is for the bathroom, back for the access to the unfinished area of the basement, and the right for access to the unfinished understair storage area.

Looking in from the bathroom to the under stair area.

... What I hope is the last load of studs for a while. I have only the soffits to go, and a ceiling for the bathroom. Hope to finish with all framing by 6/8.

Still to do:

Soffits in theater, and foyer
Bathroom ceiling
Ceiling framing in bathroom

Eric

LOGANED on 8/14/08

post #14 of 133 Old 06-09-2008, 06:50 AM - Thread Starter

Not too much progress this weekend, lots of family commitments kept me out of the basement until Sunday. I did get the electrical boxes installed, and started drilling holes between boxes. Hopefully soffits will get done this weekend... and I can call an end to framing...

Eric

LOGANED on 8/14/08

post #15 of 133 Old 06-09-2008, 11:26 AM

Looking good...wish they could have moved the boxes to a different wall. Like to see how you hide them in the end!
post #16 of 133 Old 06-17-2008, 10:46 AM

Looks great. As you can see from my thread, I have a similar issue with the electrical box. Inspector told me that I could cover it with a pannel if it had a door that allowed all needed access. I'm basically building an access cabinet door.
post #17 of 133 Old 06-17-2008, 10:51 AM - Thread Starter

Thats where I'm headed as well, though as of right now a finish panel, likely via a fabric panel or wood panel will cover it.

Also, I just started pulling my wiring this past weekend while waiting for my RSIC clips to arrive. I'm almost done with the 15 amp stuff, and getting ready to start the 20. Also trying to decide if I want to put in can lights in the theater or not. I'd hate to spend the money to do GG, DD, and RSIC only to punch a bunch of holes in the room and kill the isolation I'm building into the room.

Eric

LOGANED on 8/14/08

post #18 of 133 Old 06-17-2008, 03:00 PM

If you have room in your joists, you can build a box around each light to soundproof it. That's what I'm going to do. I threw the lights up to provide light for the construction, Going to pull 'em and box em before I seal up. Obviously make sure you get IC lights.
post #19 of 133 Old 06-24-2008, 10:28 AM - Thread Starter

Here we go, another small update. These were taken while waiting for my clips and the hat channel.

Mostly Rough-in Wiring work

Entrance Wall

Back Wall

Side Wall & Main Panel

Inside Wall

RSIC-V Clips Arrived, and waiting for installation!

Enjoy

Eric

LOGANED on 8/14/08

post #20 of 133 Old 07-14-2008, 12:42 PM - Thread Starter

Minor update:
Finished extracting the exisiting wiring for the light in the theater. Moved that switch from the base of the stairs to the back portion, the unfinished part of the basement. 1 light left to move, though it will be MUCH simpler than screwing with the 3 switches that I spent the weekend moving.

Put up the RSIC-V's and hat channel as well. Those went up FAST! Maybe 1 hrs, give or take to mark and install the clips.

All thats left for rough in wiring is:
installing the 7 cans in the theater and foyer areas
installing the 20A wiring for electronics, and projector
conduit for the projector cables
speaker wiring
and 20A for the underfloor heating in the bathroom
15A tie in for the fan and wall light in the bathroom.
2 dedicated 15A circuits to supply the future expansion of the finishing to the back of the basement

Remaining framing tasks:
Ceiling joists in the bathroom, to hide some suspended pipes
Soffit in foyer, hide same pipes
Soffits in theater

Hopefully the wiring will complete the 1st week of august, and soffits the 2nd or 3rd.

Then it's off to plumbing.

BTW Anyone know the general reqt for what constitutes rough in for electrical. Do I need to pull into the service panel, and strip? Or just leave sheathed outside the panel? Same for outlets and switches?

Eric

LOGANED on 8/14/08

post #21 of 133 Old 07-16-2008, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Do you have any renderings or drawings of what your finished HT will look like? Nice work so far.

kjlewie

Clearly, I'm a man of action - just give me a few minutes to think about it.

post #22 of 133 Old 07-17-2008, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nargesem View Post

Minor update:

BTW Anyone know the general reqt for what constitutes rough in for electrical. Do I need to pull into the service panel, and strip? Or just leave sheathed outside the panel? Same for outlets and switches?

I'd call your local permit office.

I don't know about Ijamsville, but for my inspection, they wanted the panel hooked up but the circuit turned off, and the romex sheathed and exposed out of each wall box.

Final inspection, they wanted everything hooked up and not screwed in to the wall box.

Be really careful adding a circuit to your panel. Remember that the service bars are ALWAYS hot even if you've switched off the main breaker.

P.S. as an aside, feel free to join in to the unintentional AVS civil war I accidentally started:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1049575

post #23 of 133 Old 08-25-2008, 06:51 AM - Thread Starter

Well with summer winding down I finally have been able to make some progress on the theater.

Since the last update:
-I applied for, and receieved electrical and plumbing permits.
-framed the soffit around the plumbing outside the bathroom.
-Removed a section of non-load bearing wall at the bsae of the steps
-framed the bathroom ceiling to hide more plumbing.
-Ran the rest of the high voltage lines, and pulled them into the breaker boxes.

ToDo Before Rough in inspections:

Electrical:
-Can lights in foyer area
-2 Sealed cans for the screen wall
-closet light
-CATV wiring
-Cat 5 wiring
-projector conduit
-7.2 speaker wiring

Plumbing:
-Set the Tub
-Install DWV for the sink, and utility tub
-Supply for the tub, sink, utility sink, and toliet

HVAC:
-Reattach a 1st floor vent
-Cold Air Return for Theater
-Theater vents
-Bathroom vent
-Vent Fan for bathroom

Framing:
Theater Soffits.

Pictures will follow this evening or tomorrow AM...

-

Eric

LOGANED on 8/14/08

post #24 of 133 Old 08-25-2008, 03:10 PM - Thread Starter

Promised Picture Update:

Coming down the stairs

Looking into the theater

Electrical Mains, wired in...

Hat Channels Installed

Beginning of a projector drop

Hall Soffit

Finally progress being made, I WILL finish before LOGAN!!!

Eric

LOGANED on 8/14/08

post #25 of 133 Old 08-26-2008, 05:57 AM - Thread Starter

Is anyone actually reading this? I have to wonder, because boy it slips off the page quickly...

Eric

LOGANED on 8/14/08

post #26 of 133 Old 08-26-2008, 06:34 AM

I just read it! :-D You are looking good and moving quickly. I don't have a build thread (maybe I will start one at some point). I've been at the construction/rough-in process since about March. Should be ready for drywall sometime in September.
post #27 of 133 Old 08-26-2008, 06:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Oh, big brother is WATCHING!!!

I have it subscribed and everything...

I like how you opened up the bottom of the stair well. My builder's rough in at the bottom of the steps was open on both sides (I am sure only because it was the cheapest way to get a certificate of occupancy). I put in a pocket door to close off the opening and the door way to the theater but left the other side open. I have never built a railing (other than my outside deck) so I will be interested to see how you finish it off. I have been putting off projects like this that I don't have any experience hoping for some divine intervention.

I feel your pain on the builder's short cuts. I can guarantee that the electrical box is on the wall that it is because it was the cheapest place to put it for the builder. Basements (if the builder will not be finishing) are only places to run stuff cheaply for them. I to had water, gas, and HVAC lines that had to be moved.

Theater room looks like a nice size. What (if anything) do you have planned for the rec room. I saw you had a "phase two" but it is nice to have your plans in hand before closing stuff up.

Man, that took longer than I thought it would...

Loganed 4/6/08 Logan's Hero 5/1/08

2010 - The year of the Shed
post #28 of 133 Old 08-26-2008, 07:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Yes! Thanks for the detailed pics, I'm definately following this now.
post #29 of 133 Old 08-26-2008, 07:07 AM - Thread Starter

In the plans for phase 2 are the rec room, which likely will be mainly open space, with a fireplace and a wet bar. I have already pulled 2 extra 15 amp circuits for that room. It currently has lights in the ceiling. The rough in for the bathroom will extend the drain for the future wet bar. I also have a woodshop in the back left corner with 3 dedicated 20A circuits.

Eric

LOGANED on 8/14/08

post #30 of 133 Old 08-26-2008, 08:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
Good luck with it and enjoy the journey! Ask lots of questions, too. Where did you get your hat channel?

Bud

Check out a video of my  

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page