just a "little" HT remodel project... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 20 Old 12-28-2007, 12:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi to all the great AVS folks! I am LOVING this site and have been lurking for some time now, but am ready to share the basement remodel project that my wife and I have recently started. we bought our house in April and after painting and minor renovations to the Kitchen, have turned our sights (at least I have) to the basement. As everyone here can attest, it is a very exciting and nerve racking process to undertake but well worth it in the end. I went to the theater with some friends to see "I am Legend" (an o-kay flick) but was miserable the whole time; cramped & uncomfortable seats, and surrounded by loud & rude people. But on the flip side, I am so motivated to complete my HT so all was not lost from the expirience

Onwards and upwards......

First disclosure: I am not handy enough to do the work myself, so we hired a contractor to handle the rip-out, re-framing and sheetrocking. Nice enough guy, but if we had a nickle for every sob story he fed us, we'd be super rich! He is doing good work, at a very resonable price I should add, just driving us crazy in the process

Second disclosure: many of the ideas and designs are being 'pirated' from other AVS members but..... i kinda think that that is the reason we all post here so I publicy say "THANKS" to all who have contributed thus far and hope that others will possibly gain some ideas from our project

Budget. Huh. Don't really know what to say on THAT topic Our budget kinda got blown out the window the second I started reading this forum and went researching many of the great products and equiptment being suggested herein. Suffice it to say, we are hopefully spending enough to build and equipt the room to make most of my friends think I've completely lost my mind. But to that, i retort "BITE ME! You're not coming over then!"

And now for what all of us HT junkies want: Pictures!

This is the rudimentary drawing I made in Excel:
Attachment 97652

And here are some pics from what the basement looked like before we bought the house (everything here is from the prior owner's )and during pics:

Attachment 97653 and after Attachment 97654

This is what you see to the right when you get down the stairs:
Attachment 97655 and after Attachment 97656
LL

basement theater final layout.pdf 13.712890625k . file
LL
LL
LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 12-28-2007, 12:28 PM - Thread Starter

hummmm.... I thought my pics would show up as thumbnails, not links . That kinda sucks . What am I doing wrong?
post #3 of 20 Old 12-28-2007, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rungriot View Post

hummmm.... I thought my pics would show up as thumbnails, not links . That kinda sucks . What am I doing wrong?

you have to save them to an outside source such as photobucket and link to them.....
post #4 of 20 Old 12-28-2007, 01:03 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by rungriot View Post

I Want To Upload Images Tutorial
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...php?p=10368758

-Cam
Television Photojournalist, Video Producer, Voice Over Artist
Cam Communications Cinema Palace Construction Thread
Cam's Whole House AV and Automation Thread

LOGANED! 4-30-08
post #5 of 20 Old 12-29-2007, 07:28 AM - Thread Starter

thanks guys, i appreciate the info and will try again your way
post #6 of 20 Old 01-02-2008, 09:19 PM - Thread Starter

I added my pic's to Photobucket and will try to share them here for all to see. I will repost the pics from the original post for easy viewing.

Here is the layout and room dimensions:

Original view leading to the basement:

Original view from the bottom of the steps looking back at stairs:

Original view from the bottom of steps looking left:

Original view from the bottom of steps looking towards front:

Original view from the bottom of steps looking towards front at an angle:

NOTE: All of the above pictures were taken at the time my wife and i went looking at the house pre-purchase and therefore show how the prior owner's had it set-up/decorated and do NOT represent our personal taste or style (obviously since you are reading about our Ht build )
post #7 of 20 Old 01-02-2008, 09:48 PM - Thread Starter

The first thing we did when we completed the rip-out was to tar the walls in an effort to contain any moisture in the basement. I flooded twice (once pretty major) with-in the first two months of owning the home, and I pray that we corrected all of the structural issues that caused the flooding.

When we took down the drop-ceiling, the first thing we noticed was what appeared to be sagging floor joists. We measured to confirm our suspicions, and sure enough some genius in the past deigned it acceptable to remove the support from under a load-bearing wall without feeling the need to reinforce it afterwards. Turns out that this weird joining of the floor joists is right below our refridgerator in the Kitchen. And as if that wasn't enough weight on its own, the old owners decided not to rip off the first layer of tiles in the entry foyer and kitchen; instead they chose to add tile on top of tile so the added weight of the floor did not help the situation one bit.

Here's what we found:

What's that you ask? Didn't we have the house inspected prior to purchasing? But of course, is my reply. Persistent in your inquiry, you press on and ask: Was the inspector a moron? But of course, is my next reply. Live and learn, live and learn. I thank God that we found this when we did before any more damage occured or.....worse.

In the end, we added a new lolly column and steel plate to help reinforce the sag in the ceiling:

And we then reinforced the I-beam and could then remove it to open the room a little more.
post #8 of 20 Old 01-04-2008, 08:19 AM - Thread Starter

Here are some more pics of the project as it progressed:

The prior owner's had their "laundry room" behind two sliding doors. You used to have to open the one door to access the washer then slide the door closed to access the dryer. what a genius idea that was We also pushed this wall back 2.5' and leaving 1.5' space to walk behind in case we need access any of the gas or water pipes. It really helped open up the room.

They also had sliding doors at the bottom of the steps to access the hot water tank and heater. As you will see in other pics, we decided to close up the front side of the room and add a door to the other side for entry instead. I would have loved to relocate both of these units but that was just not an option.

post #9 of 20 Old 01-04-2008, 08:44 AM - Thread Starter

We used R13 for the wall insulation and R29 for between the floor joists and stuffing of other crevices:

All of the existing wiring was ripped out. Crazy story about the wiring tho. When we hired the contractor he told us "No problem, I can handle all of the electric" but when he started to connect the new high-hats an electrician friend popped over to see the progress and was apalled at what he saw: BX cables into Romex connectors w/o the proper fittings (not that I really understand all of the jargon) and to make matters worse, nothing was grounded properly to boot! Needless to say, we immediately banned him from handling any of the electric from there onwards.

Here's a shot of the cleaned up wiring from the new elctricians:

Here's a pic of the new rear wall we put in:

Also, the stairs to the basement are really steep and were retrofitted to their current location. Whoever installed them did not leave much clearence for headroom at the bottom and as a result, you had to shift your head to the side to avoid hitting it. We came up with a creative and inexpensive solution: shift the existing stairs rearward and lower the platform to make it the first step (at the top of the stairs) instead of even with the main floor. By doing this, we effectively gained 8" of clearence amd what a difference it makes!!

You can see that they had a base at the bottom that forced you to turn to the right when you reached the bottom:

We dropped the platform at the top of the stairs and reinforced it against the floor joist below it. You can see by the gap in the sheetrock how much space was gained:

Here is a side view:

Here is a shot of the bottom of the steps and b/c we moved the back, we no longer need to have them turn:

If you look at the 2nd to last pic above, you can see through to what will now be the laundry room (which currently houses my three theater-reclining chair/couch.) We bought it before I found this forum, and while it was a good deal (faux suede in brown for $1000) and very comfortable (all 3 chairs recline, each w/ a cup holder) i propbaly would have gone in a different direction after reading and seeing the pics of other ppl's seating. Oh well, no regrets - price was right and the wife likes and they can be replaced in a few years Dont have pics but will post once available.
post #10 of 20 Old 01-04-2008, 08:59 AM - Thread Starter

We used 1/2" soundboard and 1/2" sheetrock to cover all of the walls and ceiling. I know, 5/8"'s would have been better but as this will be my 1st HT (I'm 33yrs old BTW) I need to have as much room width as possible for entertaining and did not want to sacrafice the extra space. This will be a multi-purpose HT and hang-out room for chillin' as well.

The projector mount is not pretty but extremely stong (held my weight) and was placed in the space btwn the heat shaft and I-beam. It is approx 11.5' from the screen. We will be using the JVC HD-1 projector. You'll also notice that the original lolly colum has been removed and the I-beam was reinforced to handle the load w/o it:

Here is the new storage closet that we built against the side of the stairs:

And this is the new DVD / Media rack location that caps off the boiler room.

During build:

And after (but before bookcase is actually built)

Still have to build the soffet to cover this heating flex-hose:

I will post more pics over the weekend for any and all who are interested
post #11 of 20 Old 01-07-2008, 08:11 AM - Thread Starter

Here are some new pics that I took which show the current state of affairs:

The Screen will be installed on this wall. I will be blocking the two windows with curtains. Eventually, I would like to build a stage similar to those others have done, but that will have to be a future project.

View from behind soffet:

View from below soffet:

Wider hallway to new Laundry Room:

New Laundry Room:

All of the sanding and priming has been complted. The carpet, baseboard & trim should be done by the end of the day. Because this section of the chairs came as one unit we had to be store it in the laundry room area while the main room was being worked on. But in order to get the waher/dryer out of the way, we had to move it into the main room. It is a little dusty but now worse for the wear. Took a couple of pics of the couch last night and spent a few mins sitting & staring at the blank wall, savoring the moment allthewhile knowing that it was just a short time before we'd be watching flicks in our new theater!!

I am having a little trouble convincing the wife to let me paint the walls a dark color and will probably have to settle on a medium to light brown color to match the carpet and chairs but am still pushing hard to get her to agree to have the 3 feet above the screen painted black.

My alternate idea is to create some sort of roll-back curtain that I can mount on the ceiling, hidden behind a strip of wood that I can pull out when watching a movie and the retract when we are entertaining. Any thoughts or ideas on how to make that happen? Many thanks in advance
post #12 of 20 Old 01-09-2008, 09:27 PM - Thread Starter

I have to share pics of a great score that i just made. my neighbor is remodeling his house and two weeks ago threw out 9 doors, which is snagged. they were consisted of both closet doors. so far i've used 4 and while i am not sure where the others will go, i have a pretty huge garage so they can stay there until i figure it out. my detached two car garage is, from what i'm told, over-sized at 25 1/2' by 35 1/2'. all i know is that i love it and hope to clear out evrything and make it into a workshop. here's an outside pic:

Now for the furniture. I am not sure what i will be doing with all of it, but it seems that it was once a bedroom set however i will not be using it that way. it is all made of 1" MDF with a polished wood veneer. i took it for no other reason than it is good wood to cut up and make into something else. i already have a few good 're-purpose' concepts in mind and need to work out the execution.

This is a pic of two boxes, inside unfinished that i have no idea what to use them for. i think they'd probably work well for a sub encloser but i am not adventurous enough to tackle that as a project yet The dimensions are 4 x 1.5 x 1:

These are two cases that are veneered all the way around and inside & out. they even have pre-drilled shelf holes and i might cut them in half and use the sides for wider storage shelves. The dimensions are 4 x 1.5 x 2:

The piece on top is an 8' long by 1' wide by 4" high also made of 1" MDF. I think i will use this for a bartop off of the riser that i thought i was going to be building but more on that in a minute.
post #13 of 20 Old 01-09-2008, 09:29 PM - Thread Starter

Here are some other pics of the possible bar top. I'm thinking that the light fixtures would make great cup holders

Here is a shelving unit that i snagged 1 month ago from his trash as well:

post #14 of 20 Old 01-09-2008, 09:40 PM - Thread Starter

and now for the piece de la resistonce (sp?)....the pre made riser!! This is 5 1/2' long X 5 1/2" high x 33" wide. i will be using this to go under the reclining love seat and add another 1" piece of MDF to the top and then carpet it. i know that it is not really wide enough to allow people to setp on and off of it, but because my ceiling is pretty low, i think that this will be perfect width so that anyone who sits there will simply plop down on the seat straight from the floor, eliminated my concerns of my taller friends hitting their heads!

This is the underside:

This is the top:

I also grabbed the plaform that is supposed to be for the bed, but really have no idea what i can do with it but again, i can always just cut it up:

it even has rounded edges on on end:

The carpet was finally installed today! The baseboard molding is mostly cut and attached. I have a scheduled install date of January 29th but really hope it sooner!! Not just b/c i am so ready to have it up & running already but also b/c i have already invited all of my firends to a superbowl party

I will post pics of the progess tomorrow.
post #15 of 20 Old 01-10-2008, 07:57 PM - Thread Starter

so a friend of mine came over today and helped me bring the 'out-of-the-trash' riser into the basement. holy heck is it a perfect fit! i placed some 2 x 6 x 1/2 MDF boards that i had underneath it and it was the perfect height. because i want to be able to move the riser when i have a party, it was important to me to make it as small as possible while not ruining it's ability to raise the back seats up high enough to clear the first row. i will not be adding steps (at this time anyway) to the front, rather have the person simply plop their ass down sraight off the floor. see below:

and from another angle:

and we could not resist the obligatory 'blue tape' screen. i am currently getting a 92" Stewart Firehawk G-3 screen. it's shape is the inner version. being the curious bastard that i am, i also taped out for a 96" JUST to see what it would look like :-) i am going to build a back to the riser modeled after others that i have seen built here in the AVS site (sorry to those individuals that i am copying from and cannot rememeber who you are BIG thank you anyway)
post #16 of 20 Old 01-10-2008, 08:01 PM - Thread Starter

i have one more single recliner that i will need to build a riser for which will site on the left of the pole. both will be carpeted and stuffed with insulation.

what's left:
1) painting. my wife and i THINK we've picked the color but she is adamant that the ceiling cannot be black - no where, not even 3 feet out from the screen - but i think she may give in if i beg just a little more
2) complete build of 1st riser and build complete 2nd riser & carpet both
3) have equiptment installed

the major piece that i am missing is wall treatments and i know this is a huge issue. any suggestions whould be greatly appreciated!!!
post #17 of 20 Old 01-11-2008, 09:44 AM - Thread Starter

ooh, forgot to show pics of the screen wall:

from the back row with the seat reclined:

and a pic of my feet from the back seat:

post #18 of 20 Old 01-11-2008, 10:45 AM

Starting to take shape. Good job. The way I got my wife to allow me to paint the ceiling black was to have it textured first, then painted. I really like the look of it

post #19 of 20 Old 01-11-2008, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter

wow - that is a really cool look and a great suggestion. thanks for the input and i will have to show my wife tonight to see what she thinks
post #20 of 20 Old 02-10-2009, 06:06 AM

Any updates or pics of the theater completed? Everything is looking good!

Cheers,
JJ

Number of trips to the Hardware Store: Can't count that high!

Sunbeam Cinema Build Thread
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page