Cup Holder Solution for Current Chairs - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 01-03-2008, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm not sure if it's best to place this question in the Dedicated Theater thread or the Accessories thread. I thought I'd try here first since it's part of a dedicated theater.

I'm trying to figure out a way that I can incorporate Cup Holders for my viewers (6 seats). I had an original idea of using some MDF and making something that would slide over the two butting arm rests.

My buddy then reminded me that my Berklines (cheap ones from Best Buy a few years back) are somewhat narrow, and may make for an uncomfortable seating arrangement with these over the arm rests. I may make one just to see, but I expect the center chairs in each row to be too narrow since there would be a holder on each side of the arm rests. Does anyone have any other solutions that I could possibly tackle? It's getting old that we have to keep our soft drink bottles between our legs during a movie. Here is a pic of the chairs.

Tony
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2008, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
It looks like you have some play with your seating why not do what your thinking but just move the chairs apart about 6"-8" and build a box to go in between the seats. You could even cover the box with some cherry or oak veneer and really make them look nice. I'm sure others will have some good idea's

Scott

The CopperFields Cinema

Current Photo's

Old 01-03-2008, 02:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 39
That a good idea WOOlly,

I would build it just wide enough for a cupholder, but from front to back of the seat. This way you could put two cupholders one behind the other in each section. One on either side of the center seats. This way you'll have 4 cupholders available, maybe make it big enough for popcorn cups too.
Old 01-03-2008, 02:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I have a similar issue in my theater, some thoughts I have had about cupholders: They do not necessarily have to go over the armrests, you can put a "drink stand" just in front of the armrests/chair faces and leave the chairs pushed together. You could move the chairs apart about an inch, and put a 1" pole or 1" board coming up from the floor to 6" above the height of the arm rests, and mount your holders there, so you don't lose the armrest (hope that makes sense). That one might look a little funky, but it should not block any sightlines.
Old 01-03-2008, 02:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I bolted some black cup holders made to go into a window of an automobile to the fronts of my arm rests. Came out mighty fine.
Old 01-03-2008, 03:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by W00lly View Post

It looks like you have some play with your seating why not do what your thinking but just move the chairs apart about 6"-8" and build a box to go in between the seats. You could even cover the box with some cherry or oak veneer and really make them look nice. I'm sure others will have some good idea's

Now that's an idea I hadn't thought of. I do have the room to do this. That wouldn't be very difficult to construct either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oman321 View Post

That a good idea WOOlly,

I would build it just wide enough for a cupholder, but from front to back of the seat. This way you could put two cupholders one behind the other in each section. One on either side of the center seats. This way you'll have 4 cupholders available, maybe make it big enough for popcorn cups too.

I'd have to do some measurements, but maybe route out a rectangular inset to the top of the box where the Popcorn cups could rest, with Cup holders on each end of the box. I like constructing things, but don't have all the tools. But I have several family members that build houses, cabinets, furniture, etc. where I could obtain some help (i.e. borrow tools).

Quote:
Originally Posted by usualsuspects View Post

I have a similar issue in my theater, some thoughts I have had about cupholders: They do not necessarily have to go over the armrests, you can put a "drink stand" just in front of the armrests/chair faces and leave the chairs pushed together. You could move the chairs apart about an inch, and put a 1" pole or 1" board coming up from the floor to 6" above the height of the arm rests, and mount your holders there, so you don't lose the armrest (hope that makes sense). That one might look a little funky, but it should not block any sightlines.

That is one that I did think of and have drawn up. After hearing the thought about the box between each chair, I'm really liking that approach, if I have the room...will have to measure. I remember seeing someone's thread somewhere on this forum a year or two, or maybe even three where they used PVC pipe to make cup holders between chairs. I couldn't find it when searching. I should search the archives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNnDENVER View Post

I bolted some black cup holders made to go into a window of an automobile to the fronts of my arm rests. Came out mighty fine.

I love this thread. You guys rock. What a great idea!! How hard is it to do this? Can you give me a description of how you accomplished this? I wouldn't want to rip the leather on the front of the chair by drilling into it. I mean, I don't want it to tear and then get bigger, etc. Did you drill a pilot hole, then drill in screw/bolt with washer, or use smaller screws? I'd love to see a picture of this. This sounds like it could be the cleanest look. My children are 3 and 5. When they are in the theater, they like to jump off the chairs. I can see them ripping these off, but I'd just be sure to inform them not to play rough near the chairs. Really though...pictures?

Tony
Old 01-03-2008, 03:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
OK... I really need to get pics of my stuff or quit postng on here....

Mine were microfiber and cheap as hell, I'm not so sure I'd do this to leather. I wonder if hot glue would be better on leather? As long as it held.

I just put the cup holder against the arm rest, drilled small pilot holes then wood screwed them with the cordless w/phillips bit and used flat washers. I only did two cup holders for each set of three seats.
Old 01-03-2008, 04:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonybradley View Post

I remember seeing someone's thread somewhere on this forum a year or two, or maybe even three where they used PVC pipe to make cup holders between chairs. I couldn't find it when searching. I should search the archives.

Ask and you shall receive - pic courtesy of member scottyb.

Old 01-03-2008, 06:59 PM
AVS Special Member

tony

I think the box approach will probably be the easiest to do and if you don't like them just remove them like a piece of furniture

I did a search for some drop in cup holders

http://www.txpokersupply.com/table_hardware.htm

http://www.stargatecinema.com/Berkli...-pr-17618.html

http://shopping.rexmar.com/Merchant2...FQ2aOAodVgSkXQ

Scott

The CopperFields Cinema

Current Photo's

Old 01-04-2008, 05:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That's it. This would be the easiest I think. The tables would be the best looking.

Tony
Old 01-04-2008, 05:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

tony

I think the box approach will probably be the easiest to do and if you don't like them just remove them like a piece of furniture

I did a search for some drop in cup holders

http://www.txpokersupply.com/table_hardware.htm

http://www.stargatecinema.com/Berkli...-pr-17618.html

http://shopping.rexmar.com/Merchant2...FQ2aOAodVgSkXQ

Thanks!!! I talked to my wife. As far as the looks, she likes the table idea too.

Tony
Old 01-04-2008, 07:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I'd have to measure and make sure this would work as far as the size of the box. If not, I could take it down to one popcorn holder. This is really simple, but may look nice between each of the chairs.

Tony
Old 01-04-2008, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That's it. This would be the easiest I think. The tables would be the best looking.

I agree that the aesthetics leave a lot to be desired on that design, but I like the concept of a support that is very small/thin if you have width issues. Using black poles and holders would go a long way. Just one way to go - either between seating or just in front with a Y piece for dual holders.
Old 01-04-2008, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 39
I like it TB,

Might be uncomfortable reaching for the rear drink though depending on the depth (if you go to the back of the seat). You might try to model it with the two cupholders up front and the you'll probably still have space for the popcorn at about midway. Either way it's looking good.

Come to think of it you might consider a hybrid of the ideas being given. You could also attach the PVC cupholders to the front of the table unit with, the popcorn slots up front. Good luck.
Old 01-04-2008, 09:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oman321 View Post

I like it TB,

Might be uncomfortable reaching for the rear drink though depending on the depth (if you go to the back of the seat). You might try to model it with the two cupholders up front and the you'll probably still have space for the popcorn at about midway. Either way it's looking good.

Come to think of it you might consider a hybrid of the ideas being given. You could also attach the PVC cupholders to the front of the table unit with, the popcorn slots up front. Good luck.

My friend said the same thing as you regarding the placement of the cup holders. He also felt it may be to cumbersome to reach in the back for the drink. My wife and I, in the car, tend to have issues with grabbing the wrong coke or water out of the center console cup holders unless we are looking directly at them. That was my only fear with placing both of them at the front of the table. Still not out of the question. Need to do some measuring. Most folks recline in the chairs, so that would make it a little easier to grab the drink in the back. The hybrid idea is an option. At least now I have some great ideas to play with. Thanks.

Tony
Old 01-04-2008, 01:43 PM
Advanced Member

We just thought about this ourselves, and voila!
Works fine or us.....
And you can move 'em anywhere...
Best,
Tom
Chinaclipper

Old 01-04-2008, 04:43 PM

Tony, I'll be building tables with cupholders for between my chairs too. We can build them together out in my shop. I'll be building mine very similar to your design in post 12. You'll need 4, I need 3, though the one I'll be putting in the back will be much more complicated than the front two. Get in touch and we can schedule a a weekend to knock them out.

Chip

A dumb man gets into trouble and doesn't know how to get out of it.
A smart man gets into trouble and knows how to get out of it.
A wise man never gets into trouble... Spastic Bat Theater Thread
Old 01-04-2008, 07:06 PM

Just a tip. My company has used the black plastic cup holders for years. We started using stainless a while back. Paper and plastic cups condensate on the outside. The moisture makes the plastic cup holders stick to the cups and pulls them out, when you lift a drink up. Either glue the plastic ones in with PL400 etc... or use the stainless. If gluing, remember you cant take them out to clean them, something you might regret down the road.....

**Disclaimer** The information provided above is my opinion. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion
Old 01-04-2008, 08:30 PM

Ross, Great tip! I was planning on stainless anyway, but you confirm it's worth the extra $.

Thanks
Chip

Old 01-04-2008, 10:11 PM
AVS Special Member

tony

Get yourself some scrap Plywood and do a mock up first that way if you don't like it or want to reconfigure it will not cost you anything.

Happy building

Scott

The CopperFields Cinema

Current Photo's

Old 01-04-2008, 10:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I think it was Swithey who made some very nice cupholders.

I'll try to find the link.

Here you go....more info in his thread.

http://avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthrea...17#post9503317

-Brian
Old 01-04-2008, 11:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Brian if you read on swithey scraped that idea and bought those little tables. Tony that mite be something to look into then you would not have to build anything

http://www.eurway.com/tables.lasso?i...0918xKp391D8AF

Scott

The CopperFields Cinema

Current Photo's

Old 01-04-2008, 11:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Brian if you read on swithey scraped that idea and bought those little tables. Tony that mite be something to look into then you would not have to build anything

Yeah, he did scrap it, but if you wanted something that wouldn't encumber on the seating space those tables would work. Use the chair to hold the back of the table down.

Anyway, its another option. Thanks to the fine folks here, you've got a couple different paths you could go down.

-Brian
Old 01-05-2008, 07:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipWV View Post

Tony, I'll be building tables with cupholders for between my chairs too. We can build them together out in my shop. I'll be building mine very similar to your design in post 12. You'll need 4, I need 3, though the one I'll be putting in the back will be much more complicated than the front two. Get in touch and we can schedule a a weekend to knock them out.

Chip

Cool Chip. I'll give you a ring next week and we can set something up. What are you planning on building yours with? I was thinking of MDF, but not sure that's the best option. It seems most the cup holders I've seen are around 3" in diamater, but I'd like something a little bigger. Do they make bigger cup holders that will hold large size cups and bottles? Have you laid out a design for yours yet?

Tony
Old 01-05-2008, 07:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I could probably build something that would be a little cheaper per stand than those. I'll have to price it out and see. I do like the looks of that glass table though. With the thin pole, you'd lose little width of the room as well.

Tony
Old 01-05-2008, 08:00 AM

Quote:

Have you laid out a design for yours yet?

Nothing on paper, just in my head. I generally don't put anything on paper until I need/have final dimensions. Seems once I put something on paper the creativity stops and designs do not evolve anymore.

Chip

Old 01-05-2008, 08:45 PM

Quote:

OK here's the scoop on this cup holder.
I stole the idea from another member but don't remember his name.
I enhanced it though.

Instead of the total build and screwing the holder to the floor I put a 25lb weight plate on the bottom of the the pipe. This way you can move them as neccessary and vacuume under them. The reason for the heavy weight is to prevent them from being knocked over. I painted the whole thing black and it looks great.

I also invented a variation on the same plan by putting a T at the the top of the floor pipe and then put two elbow pipes and then went to the cup holder so you get two holders in between or in front of two chairs. I'll try to figure how to take a pic and post.

It sounds like this thread is going a different direction but I thought I'd post for others when they do a search.

These have helped the function of my theater a lot.
Tables are too easy to have the beverage knocked off, be it a kid or an adult.

Feel free to ask any questions and I'll try to get a pic soon.

Scott
Old 01-05-2008, 08:51 PM

tonybradley,

acutually after looking at your seating these would be perfect for you as you could keep your seats very close together.
If you want to go this direction send me a PM and I'll send you my number.

scott
Old 01-05-2008, 09:49 PM
AVS Special Member

You can get inserts for Berklines in AL in Black or Silver. Maybe you could insert them in the arms.

The Cinema Kellogg

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."
Old 01-06-2008, 07:50 PM

First time to load pics, we'll see if I did it right.

[/IMG]

[/IMG]