How to hang projector when using RSIC ? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 01-05-2008, 10:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm in the process of putting double 5/8" drywall and (probably) GG on my walls. I was planning on putting in new ceiling joists inbetween the floor joists of the room above (the theater is in the basement) but there are too many issues with ductwork and wiring so I am back to my original plan of using RSIC-ext4 clips and DD/GG.

My question is how to mount the Barco 1208 projector. It weighs about 150lbs and I want to mount it in such a way that I can move it slighly L-R and F-B. Right now I have it mounted on Unistrut directly to the floor joists above but once I install the RSIC clips I'm not sure if they are strong enough.

I've been lurking on the board for 3 years and I am only now getting to the actual building stage. I'm leaning towards a Greg Power's fabric framed finish for walls and the ceiling with either be just drywall or possibly drywall with the wall paper applied that looks like a tin ceiling. Either way, there will also be soffet's attached to the ceiling so I will have the weight of the soffets on the RSIC in addition to the 5/8" DD and I suppose the projector.

Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks. Bud

Thanks.

Bud

There is a solution to every problem.

2nd Run Cinema - A fabric frame theater
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-05-2008, 10:54 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 14
Here is how I did it to hang a NEC CRT PJ using unistrut.

First I attached strut to the joists.

More here:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...t#post10180479

Then I ran treaded rod down:

Then the blue board went up (a type of sheetrock) with the strut put through - they did the RSIC same day, so I don't have any shots of the RSIC overlapping the strut, I picked a narrower strut to make sure RSIC-01 would clear it:

Close up (I later caulked the hole tighter):

Then the plaster was finished:

Then I trimmed the roads to the length needed, built more strut on the other side. Big mistake, I lined my downroads up with the mount position complicated my lateral movement. Space wider whan the PJ.

Then I realized I was off center and built this complicated apprattaus to give me flexibility on all three axises:

Check to see if level:

and then talk nice forum members into helping with the heave/setup.

Kal has some nice stuff on unistrut mounting at Curt's site. www.curtpalme.com
post #3 of 8 Old 01-05-2008, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks... that would obviously work but what it doesn't do is isolate the projector from the floor above. Besides trying to seal the room acoustically, I want to isolate the projector from any floor bounce from above.

Speaking of sealing the room, what chaulking does everyone use? I'll have a couple of holes in the DD where wiring comes in as well as my plan to chaulk all the drywall joints.

Thanks for your help. Bud

Bud

post #4 of 8 Old 01-05-2008, 11:09 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Well i don't know how you could isolate the projector from floor bounce above. That's just a fact of life unless you build a room within a room. It would not be safe to hang the pj from hat channel or using drywall hangers. I would only trust hanging it from the structure of the house.

I don't think a 150 lb projector connected by 4 1/4" threaded rods attached to joist hangers is going to transmit that much sound. That's a pretty good isolation technique if you ask me. You could put hard rubber between the hanger and the strut to further isolate it if you're really worried about it..
post #5 of 8 Old 01-05-2008, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well, that's why I'm throwing it out there for suggestions. I could (with some difficulty) put in ceiling joists just in the area of the projector that would sit on the wall plates (which are not connected to the rest of the house)... that would isolate the PJ but I was hoping to find other options. Like maybe something similar to the RSIC clips or possibly a heavy duty RSIC clip made for this type of application.

I personally don't see any isolation benefits of just using the threaded rod. It's what I have now with my mockup but not the end result that I am looking for.

Thanks... any other suggestions?

Bud

post #6 of 8 Old 01-05-2008, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member

This is how I was planning to do it. Use 2x4s for the horizontal. Just for the crt mounting part. Walls will be attached to the joist using RSIC clips. The 2 make the 2x4's stronger, I can put as many RSIC clips. Then on the side, I can brace the 2x4s using the soffit technique but diagonal making a triangle just for that part(not shown). I don't know if this is safe though.

post #7 of 8 Old 01-05-2008, 02:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks.... that's a good suggestion.... sort of a hybrid between running separate ceiling joists in leiu of RSIC. Using smallerer joists (2x4's) along with RSIC clips might just work out for me.

Bud

post #8 of 8 Old 01-05-2008, 04:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by budk View Post

Thanks.... that's a good suggestion.... sort of a hybrid between running separate ceiling joists in leiu of RSIC. Using smallerer joists (2x4's) along with RSIC clips might just work out for me.

Don't forget, safety first. I'm thinking of going with 2x6 but it might affect the height. Or, I guess, I will just have to accept my current setup even if sound goes out. I'll have to think hard about it.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page