Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 42 Old 03-02-2011, 10:55 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by scl23enn4m3 View Post
What's the best way to make a plug looking like a fuctional window from the outside? I have a code issue here lol.
You know the white, venitial blinds you find in most new contruction homes and in apartments? The ones with a rod you twist to change the angle of the slats to adjust light, and a cord you pull to raise and lower them.

Simply buy one of them and connect it inside the window sill, deeper than the point you will push the plug to...keep it twisted to the closed position.

When someone looks at the window, they will see the venetian blinds. This is what I plan on doing...I have the same issue with my association rules.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 42 Old 03-02-2011, 08:13 PM

Liked: 10
I placed 2 2'X4' rigid acoustical panels in the window opening and trimmed for a friction fit. I used CertaPro Certainteed insulation, which has a black side that faces my room. No light gets through and all sound from the nearby highway is gone. I haven't finalized the solution to add a fabric, but it works perfect.

Jim
post #33 of 42 Old 03-03-2011, 04:40 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 46
http://www.stewartfilmscreen.com/res...sidential.html

Dennis Erskine CFI, CFII, MEI
Architectural Acoustics
Subject Matter Expert
Certified Home Theater Designer
CEDIA Board of Directors

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #34 of 42 Old 03-03-2011, 05:44 AM
rsh
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 18
How about getting the Black Diamond screen?

Roman
rtheaters.com
Fusion Collection Seating
Ultimate Home Entertainment
post #35 of 42 Old 07-25-2011, 10:15 AM

Does using a cellular shade and u- channel on the sides have significant light leakage? Seems that a 1.5 to 2 inch aluminum U- channel with a tight to fit cellular shade from HD would be a good solution
post #36 of 42 Old 07-26-2011, 10:09 AM

Anyone have experience with this setup above?
post #37 of 42 Old 07-26-2011, 10:21 AM

post #38 of 42 Old 07-26-2011, 06:53 PM

Location: Based in Salt Lake City, UT... but most of my work is done all over the USA and Canada. I cover all areas.
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I can't remember if I put my two-cents worth in on this thread earlier... or another one. But, when I went to a customers house to paint a night sky mural for them... I had already arranged for them to black out their windows 9because I was going to be short on time and they wanted me to slip a mural into my schedule for them).

When I got there... the room was darker than any room that I had ever been in. What they did was to get some black window paint (the kind they use to decorate windows at stores) and then painted the window black. I had never
thought of that and it was perfect! Then, it can just be scraped off with a paint scraper when they want it off. I think they actually left it on for a couple of reasons. One, it was super hot in the San Joaquin Valley of Calif... and two, it made the room perfect for the mural I painted them.

It would be great as a really good fix for a theater room too.

You could also put some white tape on the windows every inch or so too, if you want it to look like blinds. Then, once the tape is on the windows... just paint the whole window black.

Good luck.

Hairs On Neck... Please Stand!

post #39 of 42 Old 01-22-2013, 05:40 AM

I have several types of pull down shades but none take care of blocking that light that creeps around the edge. So I found some nice sized pillow shams that match my bedspread, got two pair for two windows and put card board inside of shams. The shams were just a bit bigger than the window so that when I stuck cardboard inside sham if fit across the top window half and another across bottom window half. Now it is hard to insert one piece of cardboard so I cut two pieces and taped cardboard together with duck tape while inside sham until it was same size as window sill. I used a piece of masking tape to tape the cardboard filled sham so it wouldn't fall when opening curtains. You can face shams either way and masking tape does not mark up window sill molding. The best material I like for sham is a silky shiney feel so it is not too bulky and is light weight. My bedspread is agua and cream with embroidery design and my curtains cream with embroidery stitching that I found at Burlington, pole was from Lowe's and since I had shams, cardboard, ducktape and masking tape, it was free and simple to install. Most time was cutting card board. Hope this idea is helpful.
post #40 of 42 Old 01-22-2013, 07:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
For our second story theater windows I used a roll of adhesive backed Velcro around the window. Then attached blackout material with Velcro attached to it as well. The blinds are shut and located between the material and the glass. Our screen was then mounted over where the windows are. From the outside you only see blinds and from the inside only screen.

When we sell this house in a couple years it will be very easy to return the windows to normal use if the new owner doesn't want a theater.

post #41 of 42 Old 01-23-2013, 07:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 17
word of warning for some kinds of window plugs...i used the method (from rboster?) of taking 2" thick foam, about an inch taller and wider than the window, wrapping it in black felt, and shoving it in the window.

Works very well but there's a problem. my house faces west and gets direct sunlight for a lot of the day. after 18 months of this (in the south, during the hottest summer in decades), i just pulled out the window plugs and found that my vinyl windows (new,but contractor grade) had melted/warped. everything is still more or less intact, but i'll need to replace them and think about how heat can be dissipated in the future.
jglashower likes this.

- Chris
post #42 of 42 Old 01-05-2014, 10:49 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 13
My plans on blocking light in my living room are using a cornice at the top of the window to block any light from leaking in and have curtains for the window that match my home theater screen curtains. The window curtains will have a light blocking back fabric and a sewn on Velcro to stick the sides of the curtain to the wall. I think the curtains should be long enough to not have to worry about the bottom. The windows also has white blinds to match my other windows on the front of my house.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page