Show me your mount - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 69 Old 01-16-2008, 09:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I know this won't be as exciting as the RACK thread...

But please post pics of your ceiling PJ mounts.

The Zen Garden HT - Move Along...There is Nothing To See Here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 69 Old 01-16-2008, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
What type of mounts are you looking for? Crt or Digital ?

Bud

There is a solution to every problem.

2nd Run Cinema - A fabric frame theater
post #3 of 69 Old 01-16-2008, 03:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Digital, but others may want to see CRT so feel free to include them!

The Zen Garden HT - Move Along...There is Nothing To See Here.
post #4 of 69 Old 01-16-2008, 05:24 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 14
Some one asked about mounting w/RSIC clips. This was my method:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_pilgrim View Post

Here is how I did it to hang a NEC CRT PJ using unistrut.

First I attached strut to the joists.

More here:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...t#post10180479

Then I ran treaded rod down:

Then the blue board went up (a type of sheetrock) with the strut put through - they did the RSIC same day, so I don't have any shots of the RSIC overlapping the strut, I picked a narrower strut to make sure RSIC-01 would clear it:

Close up (I later caulked the hole tighter):

Then the plaster was finished:

Then I trimmed the roads to the length needed, built more strut on the other side. Big mistake, I lined my downroads up with the mount position complicated my lateral movement. Space wider whan the PJ.

Then I realized I was off center and built this complicated apprattaus to give me flexibility on all three axises:

Check to see if level:

and then talk nice forum members into helping with the heave/setup.

Kal has some nice stuff on unistrut mounting at Curt's site. www.curtpalme.com

post #5 of 69 Old 01-16-2008, 06:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Here are some pics of my HD79 Optoma and my CAVX panamorphic lens...sweet!

post #6 of 69 Old 01-16-2008, 06:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Here is the old CRT coming down, along with the hushbox of unusual size.The box was sealed and air conditioned (really just vented using a squirrel cage fan in the basement)

post #7 of 69 Old 01-17-2008, 07:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Using a Chief RPA-020:

Front:

Side:

Closup Side:

Distance in relationship to screen:

More pics HERE

-Steve
post #8 of 69 Old 01-17-2008, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
hey scaesare , very nice. your pics are getting me all excited. i am planning of the Black Pearl flush mounted in my under construction theater.

did you plan you wire runs to accomodate the side inputs on the Sony? you wires look snug, but nice and clean. any issues with turning and twisting the HDMI?

i was going to run the outlet for the PJ to 12" behind the Pearl then loop around to the side. this way if i ever upgrade i am some wiggle room. it will not be a clean as your look though, which i like.

i could place the outlet to the side of the Pearl and run the wires over the top of the unit in the joist cavity. ??

later.
post #9 of 69 Old 01-17-2008, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aham23 View Post

hey scaesare , very nice. your pics are getting me all excited. i am planning of the Black Pearl flush mounted in my under construction theater.

did you plan you wire runs to accomodate the side inputs on the Sony? you wires look snug, but nice and clean. any issues with turning and twisting the HDMI?

i was going to run the outlet for the PJ to 12" behind the Pearl then loop around to the side. this way if i ever upgrade i am some wiggle room. it will not be a clean as your look though, which i like.

i could place the outlet to the side of the Pearl and run the wires over the top of the unit in the joist cavity. ??

later.

Thanks for the kind words.

I planned the placement of the wiring outlet to land right underneath the Chief mount, so could route the wires thru the mount plate/bracket. I then just made sure to order my cables with enough slack to route around the side for the projector.

I actually put a second leg of the wiring box and another "buried" adjustable electrical box a few feet farther back for future mounting flexibility: LINK HERE..

The HDMI cable was the toughest one to deal with. I got about as tight of a radius I could without putting too much strain on the connector. I wish I could have found long cables with 45-degree connector ends on them...

I'm not sure what you mean by the side outlet placement question? Are you speaking of an electrical outlet? Or the "endpoint" of your signal wire conduit?

If you are referring to the latter, then certainly.. my conduit ends ~12" above the whole in the framed backing where the mount is attached. There's room in that void can be used to coil extra wire, allow for misalignment of the conduit and your hole, etc...

-Steve
post #10 of 69 Old 01-17-2008, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member

^^^^ i was refering the end point of my signal wire conduit. in other words the connections on the PJ will be on its left when ceiling mounted. i though about ending the signal conduit on that side, thus running it over the PJ and looping the wires back into the connections.

i think this would provide the cleanest install look for the Black Pearl, but maybe not a future projector with rear connections. however, i like you idea of a second conduit run and power outlet ending a bit behind the current one for some future proofing.

anyway, i am off to finish looking at your pics. how was it working with the Roxul insulation?

later.

i have been looking thru you pictures. great documentation on your point and it is very helpful.
post #11 of 69 Old 01-17-2008, 03:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aham23 View Post

^^^^ i was refering the end point of my signal wire conduit. in other words the connections on the PJ will be on its left when ceiling mounted. i though about ending the signal conduit on that side, thus running it over the PJ and looping the wires back into the connections.

i think this would provide the cleanest install look for the Black Pearl, but maybe not a future projector with rear connections. however, i like you idea of a second conduit run and power outlet ending a bit behind the current one for some future proofing.

anyway, i am off to finish looking at your pics. how was it working with the Roxul insulation?

later.

i have been looking thru you pictures. great documentation on your point and it is very helpful.

Oh, ok.

It certainly wouldn't hurt to have a couple of potential locations. Or try to get right under the mount, and then you can stream the wires out the bracket on either side.

The Roxul wasn't too bad. I just suited up with goggles/mask/sleeves to avoid the itchies.

Glad to have been of some help. If there's anything I can try and answer about the pics, etc... let me know. Have fun with your project!

-Steve
post #12 of 69 Old 01-20-2008, 02:13 AM

This is my simple, inexpensive, PJ mount...

You poor *******s... My GF actually said,,, "We can't put the couch there, that's where the sub goes"!!!

My HT build Thread
post #13 of 69 Old 01-24-2008, 04:46 AM

Liked: 13
Need more!
post #14 of 69 Old 01-24-2008, 04:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audixium View Post

Show me your mount

How can a thread with this title NOT be banned?!?!
post #15 of 69 Old 01-24-2008, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Here's mine, its a custom Chief mount for an AE900. Of course it's hidden now...

Bud
post #16 of 69 Old 01-28-2008, 06:47 AM

Very cool Bud!
post #17 of 69 Old 02-01-2008, 10:52 AM

I know this is probably more of a personal choice kind of question but was just seeing which is better an why.

I am all for mounted my PJ using a ceiling mount but here lately mainly due to the layout of my room and the wiring, I have been thinking about building a shelf on the rear wall for the PJ to sit on. I would have the electrician put in a outlet either on the rear wall at the top or on the ceiling if I chose to use the mount.

I was going to wait and get the PJ last in the event the price drops etc. But if I go with a shelf mounted PJ then I would have to get the PJ sooner than planned so I could adjust the image size on the screen and furthermore decide how high up the wall I should make the shelf. Looks like using a ceiling mount may be less of a hassle.
post #18 of 69 Old 02-01-2008, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Are you look for a CRT mounting bracket or something to mount a compact DLP projector?
post #19 of 69 Old 02-01-2008, 06:57 PM

Im getting the Panasonic AE2000U 1080p PJ
post #20 of 69 Old 02-02-2008, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck1906 View Post

Im getting the Panasonic AE2000U 1080p PJ

OK

Anything i share would be off topic as I'm using a CRT projector. So I will beg out....
post #21 of 69 Old 02-12-2008, 07:17 PM

I have a Chief mount supporting a Runco CL-700 and a Panamorph U85. I used crinkle paint from Home Depot on the downrod to make it match the mount and base.

You can see the mount just on the left edge of this shot. The blue conduit holds the cables. The blue box just to the right of the mount is a double-gang electrical box.

Another angle.

Close-up of mount and box.

With projector (and me). Hole in wall behind and to the left of me is for an equipment rack.

Mount, painted downrod, and cables fished through.

VC lens (on right) and PAN1 mount.

Lens mounted.

Another view.

post #22 of 69 Old 02-29-2008, 04:32 PM

I have been contemplating whether to ceiling mount my new AE2000 or build a shelf on the rear wall for it. Now I actually have steel beams and not wooden studs in the ceiling. I have a drywalled ceiling as well so I am guessing I would need screws that can go through metal to mount to those beams but is that all I would need for the ceiling mount option? I am guessing most universal mounts would work with my PJ but I am hearing a lot people talk good things about the Chief RPA-20 or RPA-U. Would I just drill the mount plate to the drywalled ceiling and have long enough screws that can go through metal or do I need to cut a section of the ceiling out and secure the mount and patch the hole up? I just need some guidance!! LOL!
post #23 of 69 Old 02-29-2008, 06:19 PM
AVS Special Member

c-not-k, so is there a way to temporarily remove the lens for 16:9 viewing?

Bud
post #24 of 69 Old 03-01-2008, 10:02 AM

Bud,

Yes. The last photo shows the two knobs used to tighten the lens mount. For 1.78 (& 1.85) viewing I loosen the screws and slide the lens to the side. I'll post a pic of that for you later.

Note that this setup (in my current implementation) doesn't give me true CIH. It's constant width because my lens is a VC type.

For a true CIH setup I'll have to move the projector back about 2' or so and leave the VC lens in place all the time, even for 16:9 stuff. (Or slide it and re-zoom and re-focus.)

I'll probably save my pennies for a HE lens and leave the projector where it is.
post #25 of 69 Old 03-02-2008, 05:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scaesare View Post

Using a Chief RPA-020:

Front:

Side:

Closup Side:

Distance in relationship to screen:

More pics HERE

Hi, I just purchased the Sony Black Pearl with the chief RPA-020 mount. My question is how do you mount that to one 2x4 spaced 16" apart?

Thank you,

M1
post #26 of 69 Old 03-02-2008, 05:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-not-k View Post

Bud,

Yes. The last photo shows the two knobs used to tighten the lens mount. For 1.78 (& 1.85) viewing I loosen the screws and slide the lens to the side. I'll post a pic of that for you later.

Note that this setup (in my current implementation) doesn't give me true CIH. It's constant width because my lens is a VC type.

For a true CIH setup I'll have to move the projector back about 2' or so and leave the VC lens in place all the time, even for 16:9 stuff. (Or slide it and re-zoom and re-focus.)

I'll probably save my pennies for a HE lens and leave the projector where it is.

I see it now. Was thinking you flipped it up or something, not slide. No need for a picture, I've got it.. Thanks!

Bud
post #27 of 69 Old 03-04-2008, 04:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1fuller68 View Post

Hi, I just purchased the Sony Black Pearl with the chief RPA-020 mount. My question is how do you mount that to one 2x4 spaced 16" apart?

Thank you,

M1

Either screw a wooden plate to your ceiling to span the joists, or look at some of Chief's acessories HERE.

-Steve
post #28 of 69 Old 03-04-2008, 04:59 PM

My PJ and lens mount...

the PJ mount is a Peerless Universal attached to a cathedral ceiling plate. The lens mount is an old unused swivel/sliding keyboard shelf that I modded for the heavy Panamorph lens. I can actually slide the lens out to the left or swivel it out of the way. But most of the time I just keep the lens in front. The Panamorph sticker is just what it is... a DIY sticker! Tacky...tacky...!
post #29 of 69 Old 03-09-2008, 04:26 PM

I noticed some PJ mounts are mounted somewhat flesh to the ceiling give or take a few inches and then some are mounted with an extension pole or pvc pipe to lower the pj several more inches from the ceiling. What are the benefits to each set up? I am just trying to decide on what kind of mount to get for my room.
post #30 of 69 Old 03-10-2008, 06:13 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck1906 View Post

I noticed some PJ mounts are mounted somewhat flesh to the ceiling give or take a few inches and then some are mounted with an extension pole or pvc pipe to lower the pj several more inches from the ceiling. What are the benefits to each set up? I am just trying to decide on what kind of mount to get for my room.

Search for the term "Lens shift" - some PJ's have it, some don't. In general, some projectors need to be placed closer to the same plane as the center of the image than others, without keystoning, which messes with the geometry a bit (think more trapazoid than rectangle).

Generally in order of flexibility LCD>DLP>CRT or was last time I looked at PJ's.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page