Forum Jump: 
post #271 of 352 Old 08-05-2009, 02:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by daninfamous View Post

Sorry if im asking too many questions, im close to pulling the trigger on my htpc setup stuff, Im pretty much finished with the PJ stuff.

Im reading up on the guide you linked for backing up blu rays.

Run into any major problems, and how long would you say it takes to backup a single blu (bd50)

And In your main htpc I notice your using igp, In the youtube video it seemed like a powerhouse, but most people are suggesting an addition video card to me, your igp gforce 9400 i beleive seemed to have no troubles playing back bond, do you ever notice any lag or anything when playing back blu ray backups.

Ripping a blu ray takes around 45 minutes-1.5 hour depending on several thing. Add 15-30 minutes to make it a MKV. (It always depend of you computer power of course)

9400 should be plenty enough to play MKV. IGP can be enough but adding a discrete video card makes it lag or other problem proof.

Note that this is an old thread and we are in the middle of the summer so Landshark might not e around all the times.

But yes, his room is simply superb.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 352 Old 08-07-2009, 07:26 AM

Im a long, long time lurker on this great site but don't post much but have to say that your setup is stunning - a fantastic job you have done there!
post #273 of 352 Old 08-07-2009, 11:20 AM

WOW amazing setup!! We have the same dimensions but I told my builder to leave my basement a open concept type but now I've added a back wall with French doors. All my equipment will be in a parallel utility room.

What type of prewiring do i need to add a HTPC later which will run my projector, living room tv and a spare bedroom tv.
post #274 of 352 Old 08-09-2009, 02:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:

Sorry if im asking too many questions, im close to pulling the trigger on my htpc setup stuff, Im pretty much finished with the PJ stuff.

Im reading up on the guide you linked for backing up blu rays.

Run into any major problems, and how long would you say it takes to backup a single blu (bd50)

And In your main htpc I notice your using igp, In the youtube video it seemed like a powerhouse, but most people are suggesting an addition video card to me, your igp gforce 9400 i beleive seemed to have no troubles playing back bond, do you ever notice any lag or anything when playing back blu ray backups.

as Young said, it takes 'bout 45mins~1hr to just rip the Bluray into the hard drive. this process is mainly depends on your Bluray drive's speed, 45mins or so in my case using LG 6x Bluray/DVD drive. the newer 8x drive should cut another 10~15mins. then 'bout 12-20mins to merge the ripped video & audio files back together into a mkv container. this last process does has somewhat dependents on your CPU power (but not a whole lot tho).

I'm using the nvidia 9400 chipset in the HT, and Intel G45 chipset in the living room, and none of them have any problem playing back any of the Bluray backups! imho, you do not need any discreet video card just for Bluray play back as the 9400/G45 has the exact same Bluray playback performance as any latest GPU out there. no need to draw more power and produce more heat in a tight/small/quiet HTPC environment!!

Quote:

you alive out landshark? .. did you recently get att uverse? I saw a landshark on the uverse forums, im having tons of issues with my service

I'm sorry, the hot summer, outdoor activity, vacation, etc., really prevent me for much forum browsing lately..... but no, I'm not using ATT Uverse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Payne View Post

Im a long, long time lurker on this great site but don't post much but have to say that your setup is stunning - a fantastic job you have done there!

tks a lot and really glad you like it too!
Quote:
Originally Posted by nas2k3 View Post

WOW amazing setup!! We have the same dimensions but I told my builder to leave my basement a open concept type but now I’ve added a back wall with French doors. All my equipment will be in a parallel utility room.

What type of prewiring do i need to add a HTPC later which will run my projector, living room tv and a spare bedroom tv.

ethernet is a minimum for future proof/networking. and with the latest technology, all you'll need is just a single HDMI cable imho. I hooked up the HTPC --> AVR via 1 HDMI cable, then AVR --> PJ/TV another longer HDMI.
post #275 of 352 Old 08-12-2009, 09:11 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Your Media Portal video is awesome! I'm going to look into Media Portal...
post #276 of 352 Old 08-13-2009, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

post #277 of 352 Old 08-15-2009, 12:42 PM

Gary,
You are the man...I love all that you have done and your implementation especially with the tour of your house and all the A/V gear. The cozy theater is my favorite build in all of AVSFORUM!

Thanks for sharing and all the information!

Preston
post #278 of 352 Old 08-16-2009, 09:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrestonD View Post

Gary,
You are the man...I love all that you have done and your implementation especially with the tour of your house and all the A/V gear. The cozy theater is my favorite build in all of AVSFORUM!

Thanks for sharing and all the information!

Preston

post #279 of 352 Old 08-18-2009, 02:02 PM

I'm currently sitting in Iraq, but I just emailed pictures of your setup to my WAF. It matches every one of her "WAF" requirements, so I essentially told her that doing something similar in our townhouse basement is a done deal when I get home.

Your entire setup -- HTPC configs and all -- is absolutely perfect man. NICE JOB!

The only real difference for me will be a 54" Plasma on the wall for times when the TV is just meant for background noise, a retractable screen for my PJ, and a full L-shaped sectional sofa. Everything else, colors and all, will be almost identical.

Question: Is there a member here, or a service, that will render a custom HD movie intro like the one you have? I really want one like yours to play before every movie
post #280 of 352 Old 08-18-2009, 02:28 PM
Advanced Member

Great looking HT!!! I'm just curious, was using Sketchp easy to do? Did you have any tutorials to go by?

Thanks,

Mike D.
post #281 of 352 Old 08-18-2009, 04:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSkinsFan View Post

I'm currently sitting in Iraq, but I just emailed pictures of your setup to my WAF. It matches every one of her "WAF" requirements, so I essentially told her that doing something similar in our townhouse basement is a done deal when I get home.

Your entire setup -- HTPC configs and all -- is absolutely perfect man. NICE JOB!

The only real difference for me will be a 54" Plasma on the wall for times when the TV is just meant for background noise, a retractable screen for my PJ, and a full L-shaped sectional sofa. Everything else, colors and all, will be almost identical.

Question: Is there a member here, or a service, that will render a custom HD movie intro like the one you have? I really want one like yours to play before every movie

glad you and your wife like it too! FYI, paint code is somewhere in this thread too if you want to copy the exact same color.

this thread is the best tutorial for the Fox style intro --> http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ox+style+intro there's some company that would do a custom movie intro for you and burn onto a DVD. but those aren't cheap (and certainly can't compare to the free self render intro too!) it isn't that hard since they've got all the template you'll need. you just open the template, change the wording to your liking, and let your PC to render the final product for you. (it took 5+hr for my C2Q btw)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike2060 View Post

Great looking HT!!! I'm just curious, was using Sketchp easy to do? Did you have any tutorials to go by?

Thanks,

Mike D.

it isn't that hard to learn. and it's online library has tons of stuffs that are ready to use. no need to build your own 3D model.
post #282 of 352 Old 08-19-2009, 07:57 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks, I downloaded it and it's pretty easy to use.
post #283 of 352 Old 08-19-2009, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by landshark1 View Post

glad you and your wife like it too! FYI, paint code is somewhere in this thread too if you want to copy the exact same color.

this thread is the best tutorial for the Fox style intro --> http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ox+style+intro there's some company that would do a custom movie intro for you and burn onto a DVD. but those aren't cheap (and certainly can't compare to the free self render intro too!) it isn't that hard since they've got all the template you'll need. you just open the template, change the wording to your liking, and let your PC to render the final product for you. (it took 5+hr for my C2Q btw).

cool, thanks for the link!

I think it may take a bit of extra time to render on my Opty 170 or my C2D P8600 -- maybe I need to start thinking about an i7 for my new HTPC? LOL!

As for the paint, that's something I'll let the WAF pick, and she already vetoed the black -- the second half of my room is a playroom for the kids, so she wants the ceiling to be "a little lighter," whatever that means.

Wish me luck!

And thanks again.
post #284 of 352 Old 08-23-2009, 07:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler View Post

It looks like the first reflections of your C speaker hits the new entry doors for all three seating locations, and for your seat on the left side of the sofa, both the L and C speakers do the same.

The attached drawings show a simple way to check this with an equilateral triangle layed over the floorplan.

If you could so something to cover the glass on the inside of the doors it might help the sound. Could also help reduce stray light from the hallway.

Just for testing purposes, you could take some of your scrap carpeting and find a way to hang it over the doors to see if you notice any sonic benefit--either tone quality or imaging. If not, no reason to go to any further trouble or expense. But if you do hear some benefits, maybe some cafe rods across top/bottom of each door with some gathered drapery material pulled across them would be a possible solution.

Just a thought.

finally took care the FR as suggested!! honestly, it helps a bit on the sound stage/imaging, but not night and day difference. however, for daytime viewing, it really do improved a lot!!

post #285 of 352 Old 08-23-2009, 10:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Gorgeous HT. So far my fave on the forum... Great job!
post #286 of 352 Old 08-24-2009, 01:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 902 Post(s)
Liked: 377
Quote:

finally took care the FR as suggested!! honestly, it helps a bit on the sound stage/imaging, but not night and day difference. however, for daytime viewing, it really do improved a lot!!

Well, it was worth it on some level after all.

Deadwood Atmos theater
AV7702 Atmos 7.4.4, SSP-800 PLIIx 7.4
Aerial Acoustics 7B/CC3B fronts, B&W CWM8180 surrounds, Tannoy Di6 DC heights, Hsu ULS-15 subs
post #287 of 352 Old 08-25-2009, 09:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler View Post

Well, it was worth it on some level after all.

it does help a bit for the FR for sure! may be it's b/c the drapes aren't thick enough for further improvement. but it does a good enough job to cut off the light from the french door during the day tho!

tks again!!
post #288 of 352 Old 09-01-2009, 02:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

just bought another 2TB drive yesterday for the WHS box for a total of 7.5TB space. those Blurays sure eat up HDD space in no time even with just the main movie & hd sound track!!

and also, just finally also calibrated the HT's HTPC. (living room already calibrate with the new TV) the 1080UB is calibrated using DVE Bluray & the PS3. so I know the PJ is set up right. now, I use the same DVE Bluray but playback through the HTPC, and adjust the HTPC's color/video setting to make sure it'll match what the PJ/PS3's setting.
post #289 of 352 Old 09-01-2009, 03:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:

and also, just finally also calibrated the HT's HTPC. (living room already calibrate with the new TV) the 1080UB is calibrated using DVE Bluray & the PS3. so I know the PJ is set up right. now, I use the same DVE Bluray but playback through the HTPC, and adjust the HTPC's color/video setting to make sure it'll match what the PJ/PS3's setting.

Well, obviously.

Wait ... say wha?

The Un-Theater Un-Build

post #290 of 352 Old 11-02-2009, 02:09 PM

Hey landshark1 could you give us some spec of your network. (what kid of router or switch you use?)
post #291 of 352 Old 11-02-2009, 02:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youg View Post

Hey landshark1 could you give us some spec of your network. (what kid of router or switch you use?)

I'm using multiple Netgear GigaE switch through out the house. And I was using DLink's wirelessG (built in giga switch) gaming router the past couple of years; however, I just switched to Linksys's wireless N router (of cos, built in GigaE switch too!) recently.
post #292 of 352 Old 11-04-2009, 12:23 PM

thx, for the info.
post #293 of 352 Old 11-08-2009, 01:17 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

ok, finally had time yesterday to do a short video clip for the HTPC setup. as you can see, with the HTPC, it's darn near impossible for me to run out of things to watch!! DVD collection, Bluray collection, TV series collection, Hulu, Netflix Instant watch, etc.

and one of the best thing I like 'bout this setup/softwares is it's ability to automatic change the refresh rate to 24fps when playing Bluray movie to perfectly match the projector!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pL2rS72_cpA be sure to watch it in HD mode!

&fs=1" width="644" height="390">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&fs=1" />[ATTN POSTER: YouTube Insert Error: Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly. Click here to see how YouTube videos should be embedded. There could also be a technical issue that's not your fault. Click 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" target="_blank">here to view the video on YouTube's site. If this link doesn't work, you did something wrong.]

Fantastic setup!

Which application automatically sets the frame rate based upon the file framerate?

Thanks,
post #294 of 352 Old 11-10-2009, 02:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leffe67 View Post

Fantastic setup!

Which application automatically sets the frame rate based upon the file framerate?

Thanks,

the latest Media Portal has built in Dynamic Refresh Rate Changer that it will automatically change the refresh rate depends on the material. I really love this feature as both of my living room TV & the projector support 24fps and I'm kinda a "video purist".
post #295 of 352 Old 12-10-2009, 07:36 PM

Landshark...truly inspirational!

Regarding your Mediaportal configuration, I noticed you are using BeyondTV for your PVR. Why not use MediaPortal's internal TV Server application?
post #296 of 352 Old 12-13-2009, 10:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMan78 View Post

Landshark...truly inspirational!

Regarding your Mediaportal configuration, I noticed you are using BeyondTV for your PVR. Why not use MediaPortal's internal TV Server application?

I've been using BeyondTV in the past 5 years, and it's been working fine even with the HD PVR tuner. Therefore, I didn't want to mess with it. But since BeyondTV is currently focusing on their enterprise product, I might eventually need to look for another PVR application one day.
post #297 of 352 Old 01-29-2010, 05:27 PM

Landshark,

How wide is the A/V console that you bought. It's really nice.
post #298 of 352 Old 02-18-2010, 12:42 PM

Very nice use of existing space. It doesn't look like just another room of the house - it's a totally separate desination now. Great colors.
post #299 of 352 Old 03-31-2010, 07:19 PM

'Shark,

This was one of the first threads I found interesting after I saw the pics with the movie artwork (thumbnails) on your screen.

I have had in the back of my mind for quite some time about whether to go with a single BR player, a mega-changer or some sort of media server. We have over 600 standard DVD's and are JUST starting into our BR collection (first two we bought were Dark Knight and Star Trek).

I just picture having to rip every single DVD and at 20-30 minutes each (maybe more???) that would be a LONG time before I had them loaded onto a server. I just looked at your youtube video and now I will need to read your entire post and see what exactly is involved in this server stuff.

Just commenting so I can subscribe, really!! The build looks great and I love the media server ease of of access to everything!!!
post #300 of 352 Old 04-06-2010, 10:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Sorry for my late reply. Yes, I'm still alive and kicking. Just didn't do much during the winter time and is enjoying the HT. Not much of a real update/progress, but we are planning to buy a single family house sometimes next year. I'm already looking forward for my cozy HT 2.0!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Family Time View Post

'Shark,

This was one of the first threads I found interesting after I saw the pics with the movie artwork (thumbnails) on your screen.

I have had in the back of my mind for quite some time about whether to go with a single BR player, a mega-changer or some sort of media server. We have over 600 standard DVD's and are JUST starting into our BR collection (first two we bought were Dark Knight and Star Trek).

I just picture having to rip every single DVD and at 20-30 minutes each (maybe more???) that would be a LONG time before I had them loaded onto a server. I just looked at your youtube video and now I will need to read your entire post and see what exactly is involved in this server stuff.

Just commenting so I can subscribe, really!! The build looks great and I love the media server ease of of access to everything!!!

DVD doesn't take too long to rip. and AnyDVD is probably the best way IMHO to retain everything. Just rip in folder structure so you could keep the menu, bonus and everything but without the need of mounting/unmounting a disc image. plus HDD space is very cheap nowadays!

Bluray movie usually takes me about 40-60mins per movie! I usually just start the ripping process, then go watch TV/movie or go to bed. merging back the video & audio files only take about 6-12mins.

But as you starting to backing up the movies, and with the large file sizes (4-8GB for DVD, 18-25GB for Bluray), a gigabit wired network will be your best friend!!
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction