Show Us your rope lighting - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 04-02-2010, 05:28 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 47
BTW, you can get a "rope" type lighting from RGB LEDs which allow you to change the color of the accents.

Dennis Erskine CFI, CFII, MEI
Architectural Acoustics
Subject Matter Expert
Certified Home Theater Designer
CEDIA Board of Directors
www.erskine-group.com
www.CinemaForte.net
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2010, 11:12 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
My theater has blue rope light above the soffit (not lit yet) and also has rope light inside 'teardrops' which are attached to some beams spanning the raised ceiling.

Here's the inside of a teardrop...

Here's the teardrop lit for the first time today...

John

Follow my theater build thread right here: Mario's Art project...
-----------------------
For more pictures of my theater: Silverwood Theater
Old 04-21-2010, 10:57 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

I really like the looks of the rope lights on this bar. I see you have them on the outer edge, I had been planning on the inner edge. Do the lights get 'kneed' by people sitting at the bar?

And how are the lights attached? EDIT: Nevermind, BIG, I found your build thread and you explain it there. Thanks!

This pic is definitely the look I'm going for. Thanks for posting it.
Old 04-21-2010, 11:28 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Here are the LED lights I am using for step lights. I'm going to use them in my soffits also.

Old 04-21-2010, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 19
No pictures to post yet but I do have a question (surprise surprise)...
for those of you who are doing soffit rope lighting behind crown molding, are you doing two runs around the perimeter or just one?

I just got 150' roll in which is enough to do two runs and am curious if most are using 2 vs. 1 run. Mine will be on a GE zone so it can be dimmed which has me thinking to do 2.
Old 05-03-2010, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
I've noticed around that several people were unhappy with their incandescent rope lighting from lowes...Usually that the light doesnt diffuse very well and you get a lot of shadows...I've got exactly those lights, im not going to take them back and i cant really afford more expensive LED ones anyway...so im trying to preemptively improve/solve my problem

I'm thinking of using a spray adhesive and backing my crown with tin foil..shiny side out...any thoughts?

The crown and lighting have not been put up yet. Still sitting in a pile on the floor.

Shades of Grey Theater

Live: Hero of Cannton 

Currently Playing: CoD Black Ops II

Old 05-03-2010, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

premiertrussman...I'm getting a little nervous about my red rope light as well and how it will look based on comments...would be nice to see a pic of the "bad" dispersion.
I got a 150' roll from 1000 lights and will have enough to do two loops around the room behind my crown at soffit edge. I'm going to run the second loop so that it's lights fall right between the lights on the first loop so the result is a more continuous string of lights closer together (with the two runs combined), and see how that looks.
Old 05-03-2010, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

fotto,

thats not a bad idea, as cheap as these were i could do two strands for less than an LED string...they are just going to be plugged into a standard outlet anyway thats hidden behind the crown so i have an extra spot to plug in another string. Its all hooked up to a GE so being too bright isnt a problem, because i can always dim them. Thanks.

Shades of Grey Theater

Old 05-05-2010, 07:05 AM
AVS Special Member

K so my setup is not so nearly as elaborate as the rest but I'm still pleased with how its turning out.

You'll have to excuse the night picture, its way over exposed...cheap camera and no tripod make for difficult night shots.

But anyway, the crown is up! Still needs to be caulked and touched up, but it's up and the lights are in. Im pretty pleased with how it turned out. I would not have been happy with the rope lights i got from Lowes if my crown weren't so big. I played around with the position of the rope lights and the closer they got to the ceiling to worse they looked...so luckily with this 7.5" crown it lays all the way at the bottom and looks nice and diffused. At first it wouldn't lay flat(it came in a tight coil) But after I left them on for a couple hours and they heated up a little bit I was able to straighten everything out.

Shades of Grey Theater

Old 05-05-2010, 07:15 AM
AVS Special Member

That looks nice, with even light distribution in my opinion. Is this with one loop around or did you use 2 loops as we discussed. It's helpful to know that you kept the rope further away from the ceiling, might save me some trouble moving clips

Edit: Hmmm...maybe I won't even need clips if I just lay in in the "V" where my crown meets the soffit at the bottom. Is that what you did?
Old 05-05-2010, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member

This is just one string sitting down in the V that the crown made with the soffit. My soffit is about 8" deep so with the space the crown takes up id guess the rope lights are between 6.5"-7" away from the ceiling. I'll measure it tonight and see for sure. It looks really glowy in this picture partly from being over exposed, but to be honest it looks about that good in person as well.

When i first put it up there were a lot of spots where the lights curled up because of it being packed in a coil and everywhere it curled up towards the ceiling it got very "shadowy"...where you could see the light from individual bulbs, but once everything heated up and the rope became more pliable i was able to lay everything flat and it looks just fine now.

Shades of Grey Theater

Old 05-05-2010, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the info....my soffit is right around 8" high as well so I'm encouraged that my set-up will look OK too.
Old 05-05-2010, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member

NP, looking forward to seeing pics.

On a side note I'm really pleased that it worked out well to just place it in the V of the trim because now it will be really easy to change colors if i want, or put christmas lights up there for a seasonal change or whatever i feel like doing.

It only took me about 5 minutes to put the lights up there and straigten them out.

Shades of Grey Theater

Old 05-05-2010, 12:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 1016
what is the best place to get rope lighting?

about how much you guys pay ?

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
Old 05-05-2010, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member

I bought mine here:
http://www.1000bulbs.com/Rope-Lights/
Seemed reasonably priced and shipped promptly.
Old 11-21-2010, 10:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 57
Curious how you ropers color the inside of the tray that carries the rope light - my ceiling will be black or some other near-black color - currently its white primer, and of course the rope light lights it up nicely - wondering how it will do against a very dark color. So what did you do?

- same color as the ceiling?
- a different (lighter) color than the ceiling on the interior of the soffit?
- did you paint the part of the tray that doesn't show (for uniform light reflection), or leave it "raw" (wood, drywall, whatever)?
Old 11-22-2010, 07:51 AM
AVS Club Gold

I am pretty sure we left ours raw (white primer). No adverse effect.
Old 11-22-2010, 08:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
With the way I devised to attach the light tray to my soffit (so that there would be no visible hardware on the underside) the rope light is nestled in a raw wood U-shaped channel. The bottom and the front are raw (unfinished) walnut (I only finished the visible sides). The back is raw poplar or MDF depending on which piece it was (I used scraps from the shop):

I am quite satisfied with with the red glow on the black ceiling.

It appears my hypocrisy knows no bounds.

Brian
The Cinema Rouge Home Theater
Old 11-22-2010, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 29
We left ours as raw wood (pine, I think). Nothing adverse that I can tell.

Clearly, I'm a man of action - just give me a few minutes to think about it.
Lewis Family Cinema 1.0

Lewis Family Cinema 2.0
Old 11-22-2010, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks guys! Anyone else have thoughts?

@kjlewie - what color is your ceiling, the vertical "wall" inside the soffit, and the bottom of the soffit? Beautiful room btw, I love the color choices and have something similar in mind.
Old 11-22-2010, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Thanks. The ceiling and all of the soffit is a brown named "Labrador". We found it at Lowe's.

Clearly, I'm a man of action - just give me a few minutes to think about it.
Lewis Family Cinema 1.0

Lewis Family Cinema 2.0
Old 01-12-2011, 06:16 PM

Liked: 13
I just found this thread. I don't have much rope lighting - just a bit by the stairs...

Here's a view looking upstairs.

Here it is exiting under the stairs. It's on its own dimmer.
Old 02-16-2011, 02:45 PM

I figure this is a good thread to bump with a rope light question. I've just installed blue 3/8" incandescent rope light by National Specialty behind my soffit trim and it looks really greeenish to me. If I were being generous I'd call it aqua but man, it's almost greener than that.

So my question is this, I just put it up quick to test it, and it's currently illuminating an unpainted drywall ceiling. To what degree will my choice of ceiling color (which hasn't been nailed down yet) affect the glow from the rope light? I'm hoping for the effect seen in a lot of the star ceilings around here where you have a dark blue perimeter around a night sky (but I was going to do a luminescent painted star mural, which wants a lighter colored ceiling so as to not be visible during the day.)
Old 02-16-2011, 03:31 PM
AVS Special Member

In my experience (sample size = 1 ceiling), the ceiling color does affect the rope light "glow" significantly.

While my ceiling was painted with primer(white), I installed my rope temporarily, and made some conclusions about where in the tray to locate the rope, based on how the light throw worked when placed in various positions. After I painted the ceiling, that same position looked terrible - splotchy "glow" is the best I could describe - I had to reposition the rope to get a better effect. In general, it seems like its easier to get a nice diffuse "glow" with a lighter color ceiling; with a dark ceiling, the best effect in my case was placed so as to create a harder line of light on the ceiling, vs. diffuse (but at least not splotchy).

Check around post #130 in my build thread below if you want to see some pictures of what it looked like with primer, and what it looks like after paint (dark brown ceiling).
Old 03-21-2011, 01:03 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sands_at_Pier147 View Post

I am quite satisfied with with the red glow on the black ceiling.

Behr Royal Liqueur (like a brown) Wall, Black Ceiling : I am thinkin to go with Red...wat do u say bud?

Rope lights at 3 locaiton : ceiling perimeter, Behind the Screen, under da stage..

My First DIY Screen 120" Laminate Screen

Ongoing Build Thread Madras Talkies
Old 03-29-2011, 06:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 33
QUESTION: Can you trim rope lighting??

Mine is too long, I'd like to trim a couple feet off of it.
Old 03-29-2011, 06:58 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 574 Post(s)
Liked: 735
Quote:
Originally Posted by xzener View Post

QUESTION: Can you trim rope lighting??

Mine is too long, I'd like to trim a couple feet off of it.

Read the directions, most rope lights have designated places where it can be cut. If you look carefully at the tubing you might spot a printed scissors at those locations. The lighting I used I think it was ever 39 inches. If it doesn't work out perfect double it over and wrap the excess in something that blocks the light.
Old 03-29-2011, 07:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

Read the directions, most rope lights have designated places where it can be cut. If you look carefully at the tubing you might spot a printed scissors at those locations. The lighting I used I think it was ever 39 inches. If it doesn't work out perfect double it over and wrap the excess in something that blocks the light.

Thanks BIG,

The directions say "DO NOT CUT" but I've read articles on how/where to cut them. These LED's actually do heat up... I know, I accidentally left it on while it was coiled up in the shrink wrapping... The shrink wrapping actually shrunk even more due to the heat. I am reluctant to hide the excess inside the soffit between the sheet rock and the 1/4" masonite (how I had originally planned) because of the heat issue. From what I can tell, the LED's are wired in parallel, wouldn't the current go up if I cut out a couple branches, causing the LED's life span to lessen??
Old 03-29-2011, 09:22 PM

Well, I might as well show my rope lights. This first picture isn't my home theater but its nearby it and serves as a music/karaoke/video game social space. The rope light is incandescent clear.

This is blue LED rope in my theater. I don't dim it but it can be dimmed a bit.

Since the rope light abuts the screen (on the left) I only ran it on three sides of the star field. This way I can keep it on during movies if I want and it doesn't wash out the screen. To make the led light even it's important to install it while turned on and to make sure that the led's are all pointing in the same direction.

My ongoing home theater project, the Shoehorn Theater.
Old 03-29-2011, 09:31 PM
AVS Special Member

BShaw: Very nice! Probably a beautiful house too!