How to get better acoustics without making your room look like crap - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 01-25-2008, 04:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello...

I want to add some acoustical treatment to an already finished room, but I don't want it to look like crap. This means none of those funky treatments with weird shapes, etc. I want to keep the room as close to the way it currently is while still adding some treatments.

My biggest problem is bass. I love my new 12" JBL 600-watt sub (it kicks ass), but my neighbor hates it and claims her pictures are beginning to shake. Any idea as to how I can preserve the killer bass sounds whille saving her pictures?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-25-2008, 04:38 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by sevendustweb View Post

Hello...

I want to add some acoustical treatment to an already finished room, but I don't want it to look like crap. This means none of those funky treatments with weird shapes, etc. I want to keep the room as close to the way it currently is while still adding some treatments.

My biggest problem is bass. I love my new 12" JBL 600-watt sub (it kicks ass), but my neighbor hates it and claims her pictures are beginning to shake. Any idea as to how I can preserve the killer bass sounds whille saving her pictures?

Improving the room acoustics and keeping the sound away from your neighbor are two different type of treatments. Unfortunately, there may not be that much you can do to minimize the latter. Check the acoustic treatments thread for a multitude of options and ideas on making the room sound better.
post #3 of 9 Old 01-25-2008, 04:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Do you own the house, or are you renting? If you're renting, then move. If you own the house, then you are SOL. The only way to stop her pictures from shaking and falling off the wall is to prevent the soundwaves from travelling to her house. Unfortunately, to do this, you would need to build a room within your room, and if you think having a few acoustical panels is bad news, then just imagine all the drama you would have to go through to make no sound enter or escape that room.
post #4 of 9 Old 01-25-2008, 10:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

How to get better acoustics without making your room look like crap

One word.... Headphones.

What about using some tactile "shakers" on your favorite chair and turning that sub down??

Certified: Vantage InFusion, AMX A.C.E.
Lutron HomeWorks, Lutron RadioRa2 (Level 2)
post #5 of 9 Old 01-27-2008, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:

I want to keep the room as close to the way it currently is while still adding some treatments.

With acoustic treatment you can have effective, affordable, or attractive. Pick any two.

Seriously, you can have effective and attractive, but it costs more. One approach is to build false walls using one of those stretch fabric systems to hide the treatments. But that costs a few thousand dollars more.

Acoustic treatment is of necessity large. There's no way around that until they repeal the laws of physics.

--Ethan

RealTraps - The acoustic treatment experts
Ethan's Audio Expert book

post #6 of 9 Old 01-27-2008, 09:14 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan Winer View Post

With acoustic treatment you can have effective, affordable, or attractive. Pick any two. ...--Ethan

How about somewhat effective + somewhat affordable + somewhat attractive??

I'm looking to acheive: just effective enuf + just affordable enuf + just attractive enuf!
post #7 of 9 Old 01-28-2008, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
There are a lot of ways to deal with room acoustics and not have them be overbearing. Wood finishes, special cloth to add to the decor, treatments that have secondary functions, etc.

As for her pics - sorry, treating the inside of the room won't help that in the least. You're physically moving the structure. To stop that, you need to decouple it. You can add additional layer(s) of drwyall with Green Glue between which will provide some mass and reduce bass transfer but you're likely sharing a floor system which will still transmit vibrations to her portion.

Bryan

I am serious...and don't call me Shirley.
Bryan Pape - Lead Acoustician
GIK Acoustics

post #8 of 9 Old 01-28-2008, 12:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:

Hello...

As Bryan said there are different ways to get around treatment looking good inside of a room. Heck if your really handy you could build something like the following and place it in the corner. That will help a ton with bass trapping in the room but also look like like something that SHOULD be there.

Glenn

Glenn Kuras
GIK Acoustics

http://www.gikacoustics.com

post #9 of 9 Old 01-28-2008, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjackknife View Post

How about somewhat effective + somewhat affordable + somewhat attractive??

I'm looking to acheive: just effective enuf + just affordable enuf + just attractive enuf!

That is like being a "little bit pregnant"

McCall
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Yup that really IS me in the avatar.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...he+Mickelodeon
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page