Placement Advice For New Theater - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 02-01-2008, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello all,

I've been a member for about a year but have not had chance to post much since I joined.

I have two options in my basement on where to build my theater:

1. Underneath the living room and dining room. approximate dimensions 15'W x 22' L. However it wil be near the furnace, which gets pretty loud when it kicks on. Will DD, GG, Staggered studs help cut down on the noise transferring into the theater? ( I prefer this area for it rectangular shape and the smaller soffit that will be required to cover the support beam and more head room)

2. Other side of the basement about 20 feet away from the furnace underneath the laundry room, office and part of the family room. 15' W x 19' L. (requires a much larger soffit to cover heating and return ducts that will run down the middle of the space).

Thank to everyone in advance.

Don't fear what you can't conquer. Don't hate what you don't understand
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 02-02-2008, 05:21 AM
Advanced Member

Either of those sizes will work for a theater, though the 22' will work much better if you're going for two rows of recliners. As for furnace sound, anything is fixable and you need to consider how much noise is in the ductwork that you'd have to manage for the second space. If the noise is air handling, the space with more ducts might even be worse/harder to manage. If the noise is the burner and exhaust, you'd be surprised how much a staggered stud wall filled with insulation and with no "flanking" (areas where the sound can go "around" the walls) will reduce the noise intrusion into the theater area.

Hard to answer your question definitively as you're the one who can see and hear the space, but I'd lean towards #1.
post #3 of 7 Old 02-02-2008, 06:34 AM

Kaycee,

My theater is 18' long and I wish it was 2 or 3 feet longer - it gives you more options with seating (viewing distance and distance between rows) and screen size (you can go bigger!!!). With that in mind I'd go with the longer area and work around the sound issues. However, if the other space is more to your liking then you can always have the duct work moved and put a soffit around it.

Good luck.

Dave
post #4 of 7 Old 02-02-2008, 06:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Kaycee

Check out the photos in the beginning of my build to see how close my furnace is to my theater with all the treatments and door closed I can barely hear it running with a movie playing I am sure you won't here it at all. I will find that out Sunday as I am almost done

Scott

The CopperFields Cinema

Current Photo's

post #5 of 7 Old 02-06-2008, 08:36 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks to all,

WOOlly, how did it work out for you on Sunday?

I think I'm going to stick with option #1. I figure staggered studs,DD and GG built around the furnace will probably to the trick.

In my area I believe it's code to put up a louver door for furnace access. But, I also heard that is only needed if your are drawing in indoor air. I have a high effeciency furnace that that draws fresh air from the outside and also vents to the outside (probably why it's so loud), so this would not require a louver door. A solid core door would definitely help contain the sound.

Also, I will not be doing a second row. My plan is to do either 3 theater seats with a bar and bar stools/chairs as a "second row". No need for a riser, trying to save head room. Another option is one of those 5 person couches with built in chaise lounges for the end seats, with the bar and seating for the second row.

We don't entertain a lot so I think this will work and save $ on seating.

What do you guys think?

Anyone elses input woul be greatly appreciated.

post #6 of 7 Old 02-08-2008, 10:16 AM - Thread Starter

bump.

Anyone else have any opinions?

post #7 of 7 Old 02-08-2008, 03:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
I would try to get four real seats worked into the theater. Not sure if you are married, but married people tend to invite couples over. That would mean one person gets the bar seat for a movie. Wit h15' you should be able to get in four seats if you didn't go with super wide ones.

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page