DIY A/V rack? - Page 9 - AVS Forum
First ... 7  8  9
Dedicated Theater Design & Construction > DIY A/V rack?
j2048b's Avatar j2048b 10:01 AM 08-18-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1080eyes View Post
It is a wood frame. One of the ideas I'm kicking around, is a inside the frame friction fit.

Another is Velcro.

Not familiar w friction fit?

U can always use a drill bit and line it up w the covers holes, and drill the hole out then place heli coils in the holes that matxh the screw threads so u can always take the screws in and put without damaging the wood,

Or use "L" brackets from the inside and mount the covers onto the "L" brackets as well?

Velcro may work well too!?

Sent from my iPP using Tapatrash

Yogi_76 09:13 PM 09-05-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by krakhen View Post
Hey Guys!

Using some ideas from folks like PMeyer and others, as well as from commercial pull-out designs I began planning for my rack enclosure. It will be in the HT Room's back left corner and my objective is to be able to somewhat easily check cables and connections because there is no access to the back from another room.

Hey, i know its been a while, but did you end up building this setup?
Newshoundaussie's Avatar Newshoundaussie 09:29 PM 09-05-2014
My homemade rack with self closing tray for laptop.
Attached: P1000803.jpg (105.6 KB)  P1000813.jpg (122.2 KB)  P1000824.jpg (72.9 KB)  P1000795.jpg (97.7 KB) 
j2048b's Avatar j2048b 11:09 PM 09-05-2014
Nice man! Great job!

tlb48's Avatar tlb48 01:06 PM 10-09-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newshoundaussie View Post
My homemade rack with self closing tray for laptop.
who makes the av rack
wkearney99's Avatar wkearney99 05:17 PM 10-09-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlb48 View Post
who makes the av rack
Didja miss the 'homemade' part?

I'm guessing they're some soft-close drawer slides?

Nice look.
lemonslush's Avatar lemonslush 11:22 AM 11-04-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by j2048b View Post
Not familiar w friction fit?

U can always use a drill bit and line it up w the covers holes, and drill the hole out then place heli coils in the holes that matxh the screw threads so u can always take the screws in and put without damaging the wood,

Or use "L" brackets from the inside and mount the covers onto the "L" brackets as well?

Velcro may work well too!?

What are Heli Coils?
lemonslush's Avatar lemonslush 11:25 AM 11-04-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by design1stcode2nd View Post
I'll have to take some shots with a flash but here is the concept. I have one more shelf to add which will make it harder to see the speaker wire in the cable D-Rings on the left.

In hindsight I would have painted the "door" frame before I wrapped it.
You use any special hinges for that or something simple at HD?
cw5billwade's Avatar cw5billwade 12:27 PM 11-04-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by YW84U View Post
I opted to DIY it by using double-tab adjustable shelving rails with plywood shelves painted black. Used some split loom tubing from the auto parts store to corral the cabling . Total for parts somewhere around ~$60.00

I'm almost done; working on fitting the last few panels this week.

Hope it gives you some options/ideas!

Cheers,
I stole Tom's idea but no face plates

inside media room I made sort of an L shape wall shelves along with the double-tab adjustable shelving rails these 2 shelves are permanente location the others are flexable attached with screws on the shelf suports to prevent tiping foward.

hope this helps

Bill

PS my power center on top shelf gives a nice look with room lights out

design1stcode2nd's Avatar design1stcode2nd 10:53 AM 11-05-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonslush View Post
You use any special hinges for that or something simple at HD?
Just standard dark, door hinges from HD. I did have to mount them to some 1/4 ply that I painted black to get it to line up and install easily.
lemonslush's Avatar lemonslush 12:11 PM 11-05-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by design1stcode2nd View Post
Just standard dark, door hinges from HD. I did have to mount them to some 1/4 ply that I painted black to get it to line up and install easily.
sounds great. Now I just need to decide if I want to copy what you did to cover my existing rac which sits in a cubby that I made shelves in. Or wall up that cubby and do the inwall rack like many others on here have. Great ideas in this thread, its been very helpful. Thank you.

Potatogod93's Avatar Potatogod93 01:43 PM 11-05-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by cw5billwade View Post
I stole Tom's idea but no face plates

inside media room I made sort of an L shape wall shelves along with the double-tab adjustable shelving rails these 2 shelves are permanente location the others are flexable attached with screws on the shelf suports to prevent tiping foward.

hope this helps

Bill

PS my power center on top shelf gives a nice look with room lights out
How much weight can those shelves seem to hold?
cw5billwade's Avatar cw5billwade 04:24 PM 11-05-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Potatogod93 View Post
How much weight can those shelves seem to hold?
The L shaped shelves I put nailers on the wall and the left and right side. I can sit on them if I want. The other shelves about 30 lbs give or take probably more
RadarVector 03:08 PM 11-06-2014
I have a CNC plasma table that I use for various projects. Do you think there would be much of a market for custom front plates?
lemonslush's Avatar lemonslush 10:40 AM 11-23-2014
I finished my rack. I built a wall, put a hole in another wall (after finishing the room). I need to make the trim plates, kinda getting hung up here.

What type meterial did you guys use? I got some MDF chalk board but I have to cut it with my skill saw and the lines are not coming out so perfect. I was thinking try to use something thinner that would cut with a razor knife maybe?
First ... 7  8  9

Up
Mobile  Desktop