post #361 of 1361 Old 08-27-2008, 06:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasty N8 View Post

The 40 does NOT stretch the 60 DOES. The 60 also has slightly better light output. I have the 50 and a scaler when I got it there was no 60 but I love it and will have a 120" scope screen plenty of light in a dark room for that size not much more unless you run on high and replace bulbs often.

Nate

Nate,

Thanks for the reply. I noticed the Sonys had a lower lumen output, but yea, it seems like that isn't a factor in a light controlled room. From what I've gathered, anything over 1000 lumens in my situation would just be wasted unless I had some lights on.

I taped off my wall for roughly a 135" 2.35 screen. I haven't done the math yet, but without the anamorphic lens in place, my guess is that I would need to project roughly a 100-110" 1.78 image at 16 feet while maintaining ample brightness.

Jason

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 1361 Old 08-27-2008, 06:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Your in the ballpark there, 101.5X1.33=134.995.

post #363 of 1361 Old 08-27-2008, 07:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Fun fun fun..

So, I just went down in the basement to do some measurements. My seating is offset from the front wall, so seating and the wall are not centered against the front wall. With some help from my 7 year old, we determined where the center point of the front wall hit against the back wall. It just so happens that it crosses right where one of my 3" lights is above the seating, which is about 4 inches off center.

If I went with a projector that had horizontal lens shift, then I could mount it right between the lights, which is what I initially planned for. If I went with something that had 0 horizontal lens shift, my only option would be to move the screen itself, which would result in an open area on one side of the screen wall that is bigger than the other. Yuck!

I guess my other option would be to mount the projector in front of the soffit, but I'm not sure how that would look - not to mention my wiring that is already in place IN the soffit.

Jason

post #364 of 1361 Old 08-27-2008, 09:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Brain Fart!!!

So, I just had another look at the Mitsubishi 5500. It looks like the lens is on the left side, but would end up being on the right side of the projector when installed, which would actually buy me a few more inches closer to center. It might actually work.

Here's the current short list..

Mitsubishi HC5500
Epson Home Cinema 1080
Panasonic AE2000
Sony VW60

Down for the count is the Sony VW-40. The inability to do internal vertical stretching is a dealbreaker here.

Jason

post #365 of 1361 Old 08-27-2008, 09:55 AM
AVS Special Member

No stretch on the Epson either, not for HD anyways.

post #366 of 1361 Old 08-27-2008, 09:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oman321 View Post

No stretch on the Epson either, not for HD anyways.

Really? I thought the Epson did internal vertical stretching.

Jason

post #367 of 1361 Old 08-27-2008, 10:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
What about the Benq 5000? It seems to do all of the required stretch.

My build thread:

post #368 of 1361 Old 08-27-2008, 10:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guamguam View Post

What about the Benq 5000? It seems to do all of the required stretch.

I'll have to check that one out and possibly add it to the list. I had a BenQ PB6100 back in the day and was very pleased with it.

Jason

post #369 of 1361 Old 08-27-2008, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Unfortunately not. Below is a quote from a Projector Central review against the Panny.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/epso..._ub_review.htm

Epson Cinema 1080 UB vs. Panasonic PT-AE2000

"The AE2000 has a vertical stretch mode to accommodate an anamorphic lens, whereas the Cinema 1080 does not, at least in HDMI."

post #370 of 1361 Old 08-27-2008, 11:43 AM
Advanced Member

I'm really leaning towards the Benq and HTB lens combo. The nice thing is the Benq has the modes so you never have to move the lens out of the way. Just switch the projector to 4:3 mode for 16:9 content.

My build thread:

post #371 of 1361 Old 08-27-2008, 03:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm really leaning towards the Benq and HTB lens combo. The nice thing is the Benq has the modes so you never have to move the lens out of the way. Just switch the projector to 4:3 mode for 16:9 content.

That sounds very similar to how the Mitsubishi works.

Jason

post #372 of 1361 Old 08-28-2008, 09:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is the PQ not comprimised somewhat by all the stretching and using additional lenses?

I guess I need to find someone using this kind of setup and check it out firsthand.

I like to watch video and listen to audio.
post #373 of 1361 Old 08-28-2008, 10:10 AM
Advanced Member

I just saw the info on the soon to be released AE3000 from Panasonic. Supports 2:35:1 without an anamorphic lens. Might be something worth waiting for.

My build thread:

post #374 of 1361 Old 08-28-2008, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I just saw the info on the soon to be released AE3000 from Panasonic. Supports 2:35:1 without an anamorphic lens. Might be something worth waiting for.

Dude you can't post this kind of info whithout some sort of link...

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=816227

Found one, pretty cool basically a preset zoom feature which can recalled with the press of a button. Not sure if it would cause light spill or not. Cool nonetheless and definately thinking outside the box for Panasonic.

post #375 of 1361 Old 08-28-2008, 11:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Dude you can't post this kind of info whithout some sort of link...

Is this a built in anamorphic lens? And yea, stop teasing and post a link.

Jason

post #376 of 1361 Old 08-28-2008, 11:19 AM
Advanced Member

Not a built in anamorphic lense, but you zoom it to the 2:35:1 setting, focus it and it remembers the setting and you can just change back and forth between the two modes. They claim it is better than a cheap anamorphic lense (and the problems those create). It also is 1600 lumens so I wouldn't be too concerned about the zoom/loss of pixel info especially if you are planning on a cheap (HTB) lens.

This link points to a link with a video and an article on it:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1061041

I didn't post it originally since I saw it on AVS in the projector forum

My build thread:

post #377 of 1361 Old 08-28-2008, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I managed to find this.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=816193

Jason

post #378 of 1361 Old 08-28-2008, 11:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Not a built in anamorphic lense, but you zoom it to the 2:35:1 setting, focus it and it remembers the setting and you can just change back and forth between the two modes. They claim it is better than a cheap anamorphic lense (and the problems those create). It also is 1600 lumens so I wouldn't be too concerned about the zoom/loss of pixel info especially if you are planning on a cheap (HTB) lens.

This link points to a link with a video and an article on it:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1061041

I didn't post it originally since I saw it on AVS in the projector forum

So it's just zooming a 2.35 image and removing the black bars somehow? Since you're not using 100% of the pixels when doing this, isn't ANY anamorphic lens better than this method?

Jason

post #379 of 1361 Old 08-28-2008, 11:47 AM
Advanced Member

There's a big debate on that in the 2:35 forum. With the current brightness of projectors and 1080p are the pixels really needed? I can't explain it as well as some people in that forum, but I know that cheap lenses introduce several artifacts into the image (ex CA and pincushion). There are many people who do CIH with the zoom method and like it, but you constantly are adjusting it manually. This just does it all electronically. If you are going to get a $4k lense, you will get better results, but I think if you go with a cheap 2 prism lense, this projector may give you a better image. By no means am I expert on these things so take my advice with a grain of salt.

My build thread:

post #380 of 1361 Old 08-28-2008, 12:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

From the review...

"And finally we come to a feature which really surprised me; both in its implementation and the fact Panasonic have listened to what people are talking about in terms of home cinema projection – a 2.35:1 zoom feature.
This is being marketed as a budget option to using a cinemascope screen in your cinema room without the need to spend thousands on an anamorphic lens. Now you could do this with any projector on the market to be honest, you just zoom up the image and then fix the focus and off you go. But the draw back is having to manually zoom out again when you switch back to 16:9 material and re-focus the image. The neat thing here with the PT-AE3000 is that you enter the details of you screen and focus points into the memory banks of the projector and add a name to your settings. Then when you want to watch at 2.35:1 on your suitably sized screen you push a button and it does it for you automatically. Now I can hear some projector enthusiasts saying this is a cheat and you’re not using the full panel for the image and you will also lose some brightness, and yes, they are right. However when you factor in that a good quality anamorphic lens starts at around £3k and you also have to find a solution to move this in and out of the light path. So you can see why Panasonic have added the feature and to be honest I found it to be rather good in the image quality stakes with no real drop in quality of brightness. Indeed you could get better results with this option over buying a cheap anamorphic lens."

This actually sounds like a cool way to step up to a better anamorphic lens. You could use the internal zoom to get 2.35 until you're ready for a 3K lens. I guess my only concern here is having to treat for the black bars that are now above an below your screen. If this projector does indeed come out in October, I may have my eye on it. I'm looking to get a projector real soon, but it's not THAT far until the end of fall now

Jason

post #381 of 1361 Old 08-28-2008, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

If I had the budget for it, I'd jump at this I think. Lot's of bang for your buck on this baby according to initial specs, improvements and it will save you the money for a lens or lens+scaler combo.

Maybe get Fidelio velvet to treat your false wall and that should take of your light spill issues. Also probably best to go with a straight screen vs. curved if your going with this projector and 2:35 zoom. I have always like Panasonic products, they've always been good to me. I got one of their 50" Rear Proj. LCD's in 04 still going strong same bulb no issues thus far (knock on wood).

post #382 of 1361 Old 08-28-2008, 01:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If I had the budget for it, I'd jump at this I think. Lot's of bang for your buck on this baby according to initial specs, improvements and it will save you the money for a lens or lens+scaler combo.

Maybe get Fidelio velvet to treat your false wall and that should take of your light spill issues. Also probably best to go with a straight screen vs. curved if your going with this projector and 2:35 zoom. I have always like Panasonic products, they've always been good to me. I got one of their 50" Rear Proj. LCD's in 04 still going strong same bulb no issues thus far (knock on wood).

Assumming they keep horizontal and vertical lens shift, as well as internal vertical stretching for if and when I wanted to move to an anamorphic lens, this one almost seems like a no-brainer. There seem to be a lot of rumors out right now about an October release with a 3K price point.

Jason

post #383 of 1361 Old 08-28-2008, 01:54 PM
Advanced Member

Hopefully it works out for you. Since I'm stealing your carpet and maybe your chairs, it would be nice to contribute something back to your theater.

My build thread:

post #384 of 1361 Old 08-28-2008, 02:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yea, we'll have to see. I guess there's an upside and downside to looking at equipment right on the cusp of new technology. I too am curious if the cases are tighter this time around. I had a dust blob on my last projector that became a problem, but fortunately it was covered under warranty.

Jason

post #385 of 1361 Old 09-03-2008, 03:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

So, I've spent the past week focused mainly (with the exception of hanging 2 doors) on equipment for the room. Currently, I have 2 Klipsch in-walls for my rear surrounds. My approach has been simple - snag stuff when I find a deal.

I decided to go with a trio of Klipsch RB-81s across the front, and almost had 2 of them last night when I was defeated in the final 2 seconds by what appeared to be an Ebay ninja of some sort. jameswatson912, you have not seen the end of me!! Defeated for the moment, I picked my head up and began scouring the site once again for a deal. I currently have my eye on yet another set.

After several trips to the local Best Buy and Ultimate Electronics, I've decided on 2 things. 1 - these guys are moronic robots that are focused on commision, even though they have no idea about the products. Here's some advise - How about knowing at least as much as the customer?? Also, are BB employees and Home Depot employees one in the same? You can never find either when you need help. Maybe next time I'll just walk in with my "money to spend" t-shirt on.

So, after few visits to the short buses of the retail world to demo speakers, I've decided that the Klipsch RS-10 surrounds will work well for my side surrounds. I really wanted the 42s or 52s, but they're just going to be too big for the space. The 10s should do me just fine.

The jury is still out on the sub. More to come later...

"What about the projector?" you ask. Well, I'm glad you asked. One of the stores today had the Epson 1080 on display, which I had to show the sales guy how to work. Odd, considering I had never seen this machine in person until today. Anyways, this was my first encounter with lens shift, albeit manual. I like the concept and it's definatelt something I want on my projector. I'm done with trying to make things work (hello???mitsubishi??) without it. That being said, I'd consider myself a fool (others already do, but I'm cool with that) if I bought a projector right now, as the new Panasonic and Epson being announced this week are two that I have my eyes on, not to mention the fact that the Epson and Panny AE2000 will most certainly have a price reduction soon. Either way, it's a good time to be looking at projectors. I'm hoping to know something by the end of the month on how I want to proceed here.

Screen - Carada 2.35 all the way.

And that's my rant.. I feel a little like Andy Rooney at the end of a 60 minutes episode.

Jason

post #386 of 1361 Old 09-03-2008, 07:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Everybody has to get on their soap box once in awhile. If people would have more opportunities to vent like we do here I would sell less Prozac (or Xanax as the case may be).

Ya, I have have all but given up at "shopping" at Best Buy. I still buy things from time to time but only after the decision is made do I walk into the store.

I have the Epson 1080UB (though it is back in it's box now) and the manual lens shift is very easy to use and set up. Hope you can catch a deal. My guy only displays Epson so he keeps a pretty close eye on any deals coming down the line. If I talk to him soon, I will see if he knows anything.

Man, that took longer than I thought it would...

Loganed 4/6/08 Logan's Hero 5/1/08

2010 - The year of the Shed
post #387 of 1361 Old 09-03-2008, 07:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPh Drew View Post

Everybody has to get on their soap box once in awhile. If people would have more opportunities to vent like we do here I would sell less Prozac (or Xanax as the case may be).

Ya, I have have all but given up at "shopping" at Best Buy. I still buy things from time to time but only after the decision is made do I walk into the store.

I have the Epson 1080UB (though it is back in it's box now) and the manual lens shift is very easy to use and set up. Hope you can catch a deal. My guy only displays Epson so he keeps a pretty close eye on any deals coming down the line. If I talk to him soon, I will see if he knows anything.

I appreciate that. The one thing i really want to check out on the new Panny and Epson is the ability to store the preset zoom and focus to switch between a 1.78 and 2.35 image. My projector will be about 6-9 inches off center horizontally, so I'll definately need to do horizontal lens shift. I noticed today that the horizontal lens shift on the Epson was manual. It seems like it would need to be automatic on the next version in order for the image to move between the 1.78 and 2.35 ratios. CEDIA starts tomorrow, so I'm wondering if it will be "official" then or more towards the end of the conference on Sunday.

Jason

post #388 of 1361 Old 09-06-2008, 07:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Just completed payment on 2 of these:

Now I just need to wait for them to get here. A pair of Klipsch RB-35s with less than 100 hours on them. I just need to find a 3rd now to complete my front sound stage. The 35s and 81s were so close to one another in performance, and I couldn't justify the additional expense for the 81s. I think I'm going with RS-10s for the side surrounds. I still need to study up on subs and receivers.

Jason

post #389 of 1361 Old 09-07-2008, 09:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

More good news!!

I just came across a stand alone RB-35 for my center channel. Looks like it will ship on Monday, so I should have all three front channels by Friday. This will allow me to start playing around with the angles to see if my shorter stand idea will work.

On another front, I've been doing some reasearch on the Panasonic AE3000 projector. I'm really curious about the 2.35 functionality on this and the new Epson coming out. However, rumor seems to have it that the lens shift will not be motorized and the projector will not be able to account for horizontal lens shift adjustments when moving between the two modes. If so, this could potentially be a dealbreaker for me, since I'll probably be a few inches off center.

Jason

post #390 of 1361 Old 09-07-2008, 09:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
didn't want to opt for the RC-35 center?

- Josh

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page