post #541 of 1361 Old 10-30-2008, 07:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by umdivx View Post

here's another sub you might want to consider: http://www.edesignaudio.com/product_...roducts_id=102

i've got 3 buddies all in Minneapolis area with this sub, and it is just unreal for the money. Great mids to lows, sound super clean, and hits hard.

- Josh

Josh,

Wow! I don't think I've seen another sub in that price rang that has such a low frequency response. I like the $475 tag too. Might have to bump this one up to the top of the list.

Jason

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 1361 Old 10-30-2008, 10:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

So, I've been researching these subs for a bit now and honestly can't find a better one for the money than this ED one that Josh mentioned.

I guess my only concern is that this sub ports to the rear, which in my case would be my front wall. I'd have a few inches between the sub and the wall, but not a ton of space. Is this a dealbreaker or could I just deaden the wall behind the sub to make up for it?

Jason

post #543 of 1361 Old 10-30-2008, 10:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mn_hokie View Post

Stole this image from Jamis's (I was never good about the apostrophe s after an s thing) thread:

I'm basically planning on doing the same thing, except my opening is already drywalled on the inside. I'm planning on getting some finish-grade 1x lumber and nailing it to the bottom and sides to get the 19 1/8" space that I need for the rails......

My only issue with building my rack is that it will be free standing. I built an equipment room in the back of the the theater and my origninal idea was to just install a telecom rack and have it at the end of the closet. Then I thought I should get an enclosed rack. I am still looking at pictures and trying to get inspired to figure it all out. I'll be watching your thread for yours.

My build thread:

post #544 of 1361 Old 10-30-2008, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Since I plan to take a bunch of pictures this afternoon when my projector arrives, I'll get a shot of my rack in it's current config.

It's come a long way since that pic above.

||
post #545 of 1361 Old 10-30-2008, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamis View Post

Since I plan to take a bunch of pictures this afternoon when my projector arrives, I'll get a shot of my rack in it's current config.

It's come a long way since that pic above.

Looking forward to it Jamis. Also, if you're able to, would you mind checking on the lens memory stuff? I'm curious if it will save a horizontal lens shift or not.

Jason

post #546 of 1361 Old 10-30-2008, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mn_hokie View Post

So, I've been researching these subs for a bit now and honestly can't find a better one for the money than this ED one that Josh mentioned.

I guess my only concern is that this sub ports to the rear, which in my case would be my front wall. I'd have a few inches between the sub and the wall, but not a ton of space. Is this a dealbreaker or could I just deaden the wall behind the sub to make up for it?

I guess I'd have to see your placement of it, and exactly how it is setup, my guess is you could turn it sideways so that is port faces one way or the other.

Also I can get you some seat time/listening time over at my buddies place if you want to test out the sub.

- Josh

post #547 of 1361 Old 10-30-2008, 11:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Josh,

How soon do you think I could do that? I'm very tempted to pull the trigger on this one I can't find anything bad about it.

It would basically be in a corner, so walls on the back and right. I can pull it from the side wall but only have a few inches to the back wall.

Jason

post #548 of 1361 Old 10-30-2008, 07:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well, the day was just about over and I hadn't spent any money on the theater. That's just SO wrong. So, here's what I just picked up before calling it a night:

2 of these:

I'm planning on going with the custom shelves and faceplates for my equipment, but I wanted 2 of these to help me assemble the rail system. I'll end up using them to hold my router or some other stuff that will be in the closet. I can order blank face plates to hide them from view once the rack is complete.

I also did a bunch of research today on the subs and honestly could find nothing bad about the ED A3-300. It was the lowest responding sub I could find for the price, so I think it will fit quite well in the room. If I end up falling in love with it, I do have room up front for a 2nd one in the opposite corner. Here's a picture for reference:

Jason

post #549 of 1361 Old 10-31-2008, 04:17 AM
AVS Special Member

I've heard lots of good things about eD subs... and don't forget, not only can you get a second one, but it doesn't have to be matched! In fact, some say having two of different sizes actually can made it easier to set up and tune.

So make sure you save space for an A7-900... just in case!

||
post #550 of 1361 Old 11-01-2008, 05:07 AM

Liked: 10
mn_hokie,

Great thread. Looks like you went ahead with the Onkyo 806. I am currently researching either the 805 vs. the 806... there seem to be many mixed reviews. How do you like it? Any problems with pass through? Are you using any of the upscaling features for non HDMI sources, or passing all through to projector for upconverting?

Thanks!

Oh, assuming the "mn_hokie" refers to VT, I am one as well!

post #551 of 1361 Old 11-01-2008, 07:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaTheater View Post

mn_hokie,

Great thread. Looks like you went ahead with the Onkyo 806. I am currently researching either the 805 vs. the 806... there seem to be many mixed reviews. How do you like it? Any problems with pass through? Are you using any of the upscaling features for non HDMI sources, or passing all through to projector for upconverting?

Thanks!

Oh, assuming the "mn_hokie" refers to VT, I am one as well!

Yep, VT class of 95

I won't have the 806 until Monday. I'll try to get a first impession review of it up once I've had a little time to play with it. I went back and forth with the 805 as well because of the same issues I read about. In the end, I decided it was just a few people that were having the issue and that the HDMI stuff is usually related to specific devices. The Wii should be the only device I end up upscaling, so we'll see how it goes. I don't think you can go wrong with either the 805 or 806, but I ultimately decided I wanted to get the newer unit versus last year's model.

Jason

post #552 of 1361 Old 11-02-2008, 05:27 AM

Class of '91 for me!

I'm interested in hearing how the 806 does, in conjunction with the Panasonic AE-3000. While I am in the very early stages of design (i.e. I am finally getting contractor bids to add on to my house).

Also, how high are your ceilings? I have to decide between 9 and 10 feet for construction purposes.

post #553 of 1361 Old 11-02-2008, 09:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaTheater View Post

Class of '91 for me!

I'm interested in hearing how the 806 does, in conjunction with the Panasonic AE-3000. While I am in the very early stages of design (i.e. I am finally getting contractor bids to add on to my house).

Also, how high are your ceilings? I have to decide between 9 and 10 feet for construction purposes.

Sounds like we just missed each other at Tech

My unfinished ceilings were 10 feet tall in the basement. After framing and drywall, it's 8 feet from the floor to the bottom of the soffit, and 9 feet to the center of the ceiling.

Jason

post #554 of 1361 Old 11-02-2008, 09:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I like big screens, 1080p, surround sound,

and...

and..

AND TWINS!!!!

My Klipsch RS-10 surrounds arrived on Friday. I have a ton of leaves to get up in the yard today, but I'm hoping to get them mounted. My receiver should be here tomorrow, so I'm looking forward to plugging everything up and finally getting some audio down there (minus the sub currently).

Jason

post #555 of 1361 Old 11-02-2008, 05:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Very nice Jason,

Those are like my baby's Daddy's
http://www.klipsch.com/products/details/s-2.aspx

Your gonna love the sound, you'll be happy with the decision of going with them.

post #556 of 1361 Old 11-02-2008, 07:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oman321 View Post

Very nice Jason,

Those are like my baby's Daddy's
http://www.klipsch.com/products/details/s-2.aspx

Your gonna love the sound, you'll be happy with the decision of going with them.

Thanks. I had the reference line before and really loved them. The RS-42s are supposed to be the actual fit for my setup, but they were just too big for the wall.

The Synergys are quite nice as well. You really can't go wrong with Klipsch.

Jason

post #557 of 1361 Old 11-04-2008, 06:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I'll try to get some pictures up later, but I had 2 deliveries yesterday. My PartsExpress order came in with my wall plate covers and bass shakers, plus the Onkyo 806 arrived from Crutchfield. It's bigger than my Denon AVR-3805, and roughly the same weight. I won't be able to get it plugged up for a few days, but will try to get some pictures either tonight or tomorrow.

I also managed to stain one of the two remaining doors. Hopefully that will be knocked out by end of day tomorrow so that I can move on to finishing off the rack area.

Jason

post #558 of 1361 Old 11-04-2008, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Update:

Went to lunch today. Came home and there was a box on my porch. Inside, the label read "Panasonic AE3000".

"Da-Da!!" it said. "Who, me??", I replied.

"Da-Da!!!"

"Aww.... look at you. You're so cute with your 1080p and your lens shift. Why would ANYONE leave you on a porch step to fend for yourself?"

At that moment, I knew (being a human being of course) what the right thing to do was. I brought him into my home. Who cares if he looks different or doesn't have the same color skin as my other appliances? Does that make him less of an electronic? No, he needs the theater love that we all crave inside.

I have decided to call him Panny. Like any new parent, I plan on flooding everyone with new pictures of me and Panny, so look for them soon.

Jason

post #559 of 1361 Old 11-04-2008, 10:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Alas, some pictures of my good friend Panny.

Here he is thinking outside of the box:

How big is Panny? Well, for the sake of having something referenceable, here he is next to Optimus Prime's head

Jason

post #560 of 1361 Old 11-04-2008, 10:48 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 14
This thread just took a turn. . .

Dave

|
|
|
post #561 of 1361 Old 11-04-2008, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Fire it up!

||
post #562 of 1361 Old 11-04-2008, 11:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I'm REALLY trying to fight the urge. I have one more door to stain, as well as the frame and casing for 2 doors. Once those are up, I feel like I can concentrate more on the room. My rack rails shipped today and will take a few days to get here. I still need to finish out the closet area to attach the rails to. Worst case, I'll need to at least at a 1x across the base to give my receiver something to rest on in the meantime.

From there, I need to hook up my speaker cables (on both ends still), attach the projector mount, and then attach the projector to the mount. That will give me the ability to project onto a bed sheet in the front of the room. In my head, it sounds like alot, but I know it's not.

Jason

post #563 of 1361 Old 11-04-2008, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Ahhh man, things are really coming together now. I cant wait till you put up some more pics of the theater. I had to go back a few pages just to see what the room looked like! Its been a while since I have been here, but looks like you are Rockin' and Rollin'!

Damn, I should of waited until the PT AE3000 came out instead of getting the PT-AE200u!!!!

Doug
Where there's a beer, there's a way.

post #564 of 1361 Old 11-04-2008, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kezug View Post

Ahhh man, things are really coming together now. I cant wait till you put up some more pics of the theater. I had to go back a few pages just to see what the room looked like! Its been a while since I have been here, but looks like you are Rockin' and Rollin'!

Damn, I should of waited until the PT AE3000 came out instead of getting the PT-AE200u!!!!

Thanks. I'm hoping to get some more pictures up of the room tonight, mainly to detail the work that still needs to be done. I need to update the list of "To-Do's" tonight as well, since most of the equipment is now purchased.

Jason

post #565 of 1361 Old 11-05-2008, 08:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Ok, so I gave into temptation.

Just to see what this AE3000 can do, I rigged it up ghetto style on top of my back row of seating and brought the PS3 down to pop a few movies in. Keep in mind this is SD DVD and not Blu-Ray. The image is being projected from about 15-16 feet, and the image you see is roughly 130 inches wide in 2.35. Zoom is pretty much maxed out for this test.

One key thing to keep in mind is that I'm shooting onto a black painted wall, about the worst possible scenario. This should give you an idea of what the AE3000 can do. I can't wait to see it against the Carada.

I'll take a few more shots later.

Jason

post #566 of 1361 Old 11-05-2008, 09:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Looks great, I can't wait until I'm able to order a projector. Cars will be one of my first movies because my son loves it.

My build thread:

post #567 of 1361 Old 11-05-2008, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Sigh.

Another one falls to the "let's put the projector up in the unfinished HT" syndrome.

Progress will now halt until...2013.

John
post #568 of 1361 Old 11-05-2008, 09:11 AM

Freaking amazing, man. Your build is so well executed. My AE-3000 arrived yesterday... still sitting on the box until I get the crews out of the basement after the weekend. Of course "the woman who lets me live in my house" has made numerous comments in the past day to the effect of "you spent how much on a projector?" I point to the new winter coat and boots that she just picked up for herself to induce silence.

You are inspiring me to keep going.

Scott - I am one of many. You shall be assimilated
No project is complete until you have made a blood sacrifice to the Gods

post #569 of 1361 Old 11-05-2008, 10:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guamguam View Post

Looks great, I can't wait until I'm able to order a projector. Cars will be one of my first movies because my son loves it.

Thanks. I figured that shot was one of the staples for showing off any projector. How far away are you from being in projector land??

Jason

post #570 of 1361 Old 11-05-2008, 10:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnsteph10 View Post

Sigh.

Another one falls to the "let's put the projector up in the unfinished HT" syndrome.

Progress will now halt until...2013.

Ha. No way. I'm still planning on having things done by the holidays, so I should be good to go. I don't like the look of wires all over the place now either, so that's even more incentive

Jason

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page