Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 1361 Old 11-19-2008, 05:39 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mn_hokie View Post

Well, my wife wanted to watch a scary movie tonight, so she chose The Ring. We popped it in with the new setup. I basically just shoved it up in the corner of the stage. The sub is 22 inches deep I believe, and my stage is only 24 inches deep, so I don't have a whole lot of room to work with.

After calibrating the system with the Audyssey microphone, we were ready to go. After 1 movie, I really have to say that I'm in love with this sub, It packs quite a punch and you can really feel it in your chest when it goes off on the deep stuff. The bass feels so clean too. I knew that I'd be seeing a big difference moving to this from my cheap $80 Sony sub that I've been carting around, but this thing is frikkin awesome. I'll get some LFE-type movies going later this week so that I can provide a more thorough review. I have a demo disc with a lof of stuf on it like the infamous depth charge scene. Muhahahahahaahah!!!!!

Just beware of the "brown note"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 1361 Old 11-19-2008, 05:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:

I know I drove my wife nutts with all of the chatter around it. She says I overthink these things, but you know how you want it all to be perfect.

Looking great. I hear that same phrase everyday from my GC. He says I over-analyze every detail. Stick with your gut and you can't go wrong. Besides nobody else is thinking about your project 24/7 like you are.
post #633 of 1361 Old 11-19-2008, 06:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

Well, my wife wanted to watch a scary movie tonight, so she chose The Ring. We popped it in with the new setup. I basically just shoved it up in the corner of the stage. The sub is 22 inches deep I believe, and my stage is only 24 inches deep, so I don't have a whole lot of room to work with.

After calibrating the system with the Audyssey microphone, we were ready to go. After 1 movie, I really have to say that I'm in love with this sub, It packs quite a punch and you can really feel it in your chest when it goes off on the deep stuff. The bass feels so clean too. I knew that I'd be seeing a big difference moving to this from my cheap $80 Sony sub that I've been carting around, but this thing is frikkin awesome. I'll get some LFE-type movies going later this week so that I can provide a more thorough review. I have a demo disc with a lof of stuf on it like the infamous depth charge scene. Muhahahahahaahah!!!!!

now I really want to come over and hear/see the setup. I really want a new sub myself.

- Josh
post #634 of 1361 Old 11-19-2008, 06:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbain View Post

just beware of the "brown note"

ha!
post #635 of 1361 Old 11-19-2008, 06:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by queendvd2 View Post

Looking great. I hear that same phrase everyday from my GC. He says I over-analyze every detail. Stick with your gut and you can't go wrong. Besides nobody else is thinking about your project 24/7 like you are.

Very true. I must admit though, I will be happy when my brain can finally rest a little
post #636 of 1361 Old 11-19-2008, 06:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guamguam View Post

Cool. Sounds like it is going to be a great purchase. Another fine Iowa made product in your theater

Very true, although I must admit that I'm a little bit more worried about the house flooding during a storm if I have TOO many Iowa products in the basement
post #637 of 1361 Old 11-19-2008, 06:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by umdivx View Post

now I really want to come over and hear/see the setup. I really want a new sub myself.

- Josh

Josh,

Let me know when you're free. There are still some things to be done (bass shakers, screen, equipment rack trim, speaker enclosure) but it's definately at a stage where I can fire up the projector. I'll be ordering my screen in 2 weeks, so I'll be much closer to "complete" at that point.
post #638 of 1361 Old 11-19-2008, 06:59 AM

Quote:

Very nice, good to hear you like the sub.

Where'd you get your demo disc from?

Scott - I am one of many. You shall be assimilated
No project is complete until you have made a blood sacrifice to the Gods
Javadoc's Theater Build
post #639 of 1361 Old 11-19-2008, 07:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by javadoc View Post

Very nice, good to hear you like the sub.

Where'd you get your demo disc from?

I'll have to dig them up and take a few pictures for reference. I bought them off of Ebay a few years ago when I had my last theater. One is a 2-disc DTS reference set. It has all of the DD and DTS intros, as well as most of the THX intros I believe. In addition, there are several surround audio tracks (Steely Dan and a Vivaldi concerto come to mind), a "jungle sounds" track, something with a helicopter flying around the room, and several movie clips.

My other one has a bunch of the standard reference clips (Fifth Element, Star Wars pod race, U571 depth charge, etc).

I'll get some pictures today, as well as a list of what's on there. I'm pretty geeky about that stuff. I also have a DVD that I can play before a showing. It has trivia, a movie intro, and even the "please turn off cell phones and pagers" part before the film. Just about all of this stuff I picked up off of Ebay.
post #640 of 1361 Old 11-19-2008, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Josh,

Let me know when you're free. There are still some things to be done (bass shakers, screen, equipment rack trim, speaker enclosure) but it's definately at a stage where I can fire up the projector. I'll be ordering my screen in 2 weeks, so I'll be much closer to "complete" at that point.

pretty busy this week, leaving for London on Friday. I'll send you an email when I get back.

- Josh
post #641 of 1361 Old 11-19-2008, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

pretty busy this week, leaving for London on Friday. I'll send you an email when I get back.

- Josh

Sounds good. Have fun in London.
post #642 of 1361 Old 11-20-2008, 05:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Not much to update on from yesterday. I did some touch-up work on the spot in the basement where I got a little too enthusiastic when my seats arrived That is all cleared up now. I also FINALLY got the remaining 2 door frames stained and the doors hung. I'll probably look in to getting some casing for the equipmen rack next, as well as the additional casing I need for the 2 doors.

My replacement 5650-W speaker should be here today. If it works fine, I'll need to spray the frame black and then install it. Finally, 7.1 sound.

We had about a dozen people over last night for the party that my wife was hosting. Of course, everyone got the tour of the theater and I had a demo of Iron Man playing. My wife's 17 year old neice declared us the coolest people she knows and instantly offered to be available anytime we needed a babysitter or housesitter
post #643 of 1361 Old 11-20-2008, 06:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

We had about a dozen people over last night for the party that my wife was hosting. Of course, everyone got the tour of the theater and I had a demo of Iron Man playing. My wife's 17 year old neice declared us the coolest people she knows and instantly offered to be available anytime we needed a babysitter or housesitter

I love how that happens. For my the novelty of the big scree, projector has worn off, so now I want to upgrade to HD audio with a new receiver, get a new sub, and eventually get a new 1080p projector as well.

But I still love the ooohhh's and ahhhhhh's I get when I demo the setup.

- Josh
post #644 of 1361 Old 11-20-2008, 06:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I love how that happens. For my the novelty of the big scree, projector has worn off, so now I want to upgrade to HD audio with a new receiver, get a new sub, and eventually get a new 1080p projector as well.

But I still love the ooohhh's and ahhhhhh's I get when I demo the setup.

- Josh

You'll definately need to check out this sub then. I think you'll be pretty pleased. I'm sure that by the time I get everything dialed in like I like, it will be time to upgrade again. It never stops
post #645 of 1361 Old 11-20-2008, 06:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

You'll definately need to check out this sub then. I think you'll be pretty pleased. I'm sure that by the time I get everything dialed in like I like, it will be time to upgrade again. It never stops

That's why I got a big one to start with... the only real upgrade option might be another one... and that's doubtful.
post #646 of 1361 Old 11-20-2008, 06:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamis View Post

That's why I got a big one to start with... the only real upgrade option might be another one... and that's doubtful.

Ha! I actually meant equipment in general. I'm already thinking about adding a few different posters since my current ones were from the last go around.
post #647 of 1361 Old 11-20-2008, 08:15 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Ha! I actually meant equipment in general. I'm already thinking about adding a few different posters since my current ones were from the last go around.

I am going to hunt down ones for A Christmas Story and Christmas Vacation. I have one from The Santa Clause. I's not a great movie, but the poster is really neat. It has a 3D snow globe on it.

Get in the holiday spirit!!
post #648 of 1361 Old 11-20-2008, 08:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdtheater View Post

I am going to hunt down ones for A Christmas Story and Christmas Vacation. I have one from The Santa Clause. I's not a great movie, but the poster is really neat. It has a 3D snow globe on it.

Get in the holiday spirit!!

I've been thinking about how I will do acoustical treatments for the room, especially since I have the posters on the side wall. I ran across an article in one of my magazines about a company called Auralex that has a deal going with Hallmark cards. They can basically take any image that Hallmark owns and replicate it on the face of an acoustical panel. I was surfing their website this morning and noticed they had a "movie" section. Only 4 posters there currently, but I think it's something I may consider when the time comes.

Here's the link:

http://www.auralex.com/sonicprint/default.asp
post #649 of 1361 Old 11-20-2008, 02:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

so I got few things in the mail today (pictures to come soon).

2 HDMI cables from Monoprice
Mad Catz HDMI adapter for Xbox 360
The Godfather Collection - Blu-Ray

Yes, until now, I've been dealing with 1080i out of my PS3 and Xbox360.

I have a question for you guys with PS3s. I hooked up the HDMI cable to the back of the PS3, and ran it in to my receiver, which then feeds the projector via HDMI. A quick reset of the PS3 and it asked me if I wanted to use HDMI. I selected yes, and then confirmed that i was getting 1080/24 to the projector. However, no sound. I went back through the receiver setup and killed the link between the old optical cable and then assured that the PS3 was linked the HDMI1. Back through the audio setup on the PS3:

Selected HDMI - next.
Selected Auto setup - next
Confirmed all options were checked - next

Started Iron Man BR and noticed that the sound was good, but the receiver says "multichannel". It's my understanding that the PS3 can't output Dolby TrueHD via bitstream, but I thought I read somewhere that you could do something to get the receiver to actually say TruHd. Is this possible?
post #650 of 1361 Old 11-20-2008, 02:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I think I may have just answered my own question. I did some searching over on the Blu-Ray forums and it looks like the PS3 cant ouput TruHD in bitstream mode, so the receiver will never actually say "truHD" but instead multichannel. Looks like the only way to get that is to buy a blu-ray player that does it, and I'm thinking I can live just fine without a few letters on my receiver.

After just a few minutes of viewing, I don't know if I can really tell a huge difference betwen 1080i and 1080p. I guess I'd have to do before and after screenshots. I do want to say that the audio sounds cleaner now, but only a full movie will ultimately decide that

On to hook up the Xbox 360 now.
post #651 of 1361 Old 11-20-2008, 08:49 PM

Looking good Jason! Soon, my Pretty! Soon!
post #652 of 1361 Old 11-21-2008, 06:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaXXXima View Post

Looking good Jason! Soon, my Pretty! Soon!

Yes.. very soon 2 weeks and counting on the screen.
post #653 of 1361 Old 11-21-2008, 06:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I hooked up the HDMI to the PS3 and the HDMI adapter to the Xbox 360 last night without a hitch. The video looks great, and I can tell the difference on the games more than the movies I think.

Audio is a slightly different story. I'm sure it's some kind of setting somewhere, but currently all of my Xbox games are showing as "All Channel Stereo" on my receiver, instead of DD, even though I have DD 5.1 output checked in the Xbox settings. I'm also getting multichannel on everything with the PS3, so it's like the receiver is remember the last setting and not budging. It is currently set to "Last Valid" as the default on the receiver, but I can't figure out why it's not picking up otherwise when I switch media. I also geta very faint pop in the surround speakers now when I kick out of a movie and back to the PS3 dashboard, which didn't exist prior to HDMI.

I'm sure these are all things I can figure out in time, as I've yet to crack open the manual yet.

For anyone that doesn't have an HDMI port (older Xbox) on their Xbox 360, this is what I picked up. Retail is $90, but I scored this one used on Ebay for $25. I definately recommend it.

post #654 of 1361 Old 11-21-2008, 06:53 AM
Advanced Member

What prompted the decision to get HDMI out of your Xbox...?

I scaned back a little in the thread, but couldn't find your motovation.
post #655 of 1361 Old 11-21-2008, 06:57 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

I think I may have just answered my own question. I did some searching over on the Blu-Ray forums and it looks like the PS3 cant ouput TruHD in bitstream mode, so the receiver will never actually say "truHD" but instead multichannel. Looks like the only way to get that is to buy a blu-ray player that does it, and I'm thinking I can live just fine without a few letters on my receiver.

After just a few minutes of viewing, I don't know if I can really tell a huge difference betwen 1080i and 1080p. I guess I'd have to do before and after screenshots. I do want to say that the audio sounds cleaner now, but only a full movie will ultimately decide that

On to hook up the Xbox 360 now.

Does your receiver decode TruHD? If it does, the TruHD in the receiver is useless until you can send bitstream.

I will be using the PS3 for my main player when I get the theater built. My current receiver does not deocde TruHD so this really works out for me. However, after my budget bounces back, I will go after a new receiver that can do TruHD and DTS-HDMA. When I do that I will need a Blu-Ray player that can bitstream. I think the decoding needs to stay in the receiver.

-HD
post #656 of 1361 Old 11-21-2008, 07:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokinghot View Post

What prompted the decision to get HDMI out of your Xbox...?

I scaned back a little in the thread, but couldn't find your motovation.

The 360 will max at at 1080i if you don't go HDMI. I did it for that reason. I wanted to see 1080p, especially on the HD-DVDs that I still own.
post #657 of 1361 Old 11-21-2008, 07:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I wanted to see 1080p, especially on the HD-DVDs that I still own.

Didn't realize that you had the HD-DVD add-on. Makes perfect sense now...

thanks
post #658 of 1361 Old 11-21-2008, 07:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdtheater View Post

Does your receiver decode TruHD? If it does, the TruHD in the receiver is useless until you can send bitstream.

I will be using the PS3 for my main player when I get the theater built. My current receiver does not deocde TruHD so this really works out for me. However, after my budget bounces back, I will go after a new receiver that can do TruHD and DTS-HDMA. When I do that I will need a Blu-Ray player that can bitstream. I think the decoding needs to stay in the receiver.

-HD

Yes, the receiver decodes TruHD. From everything I read online though, it sounds like there is no loss of quality when letting the PS3 do it. The only downside is that you don't get "TruHD" displayed on the receiver.
post #659 of 1361 Old 11-21-2008, 07:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokinghot View Post

Didn't realize that you had the HD-DVD add-on. Makes perfect sense now...

thanks

The other thing is that the HD-DVD player is actually pretty good with upconverting standard DVDs, so I want to squeeze as much picture out of them as I can. The games look about the same, but it's my understanding the the Xbox 360 games are pretty much all native 720p at this time.
post #660 of 1361 Old 11-21-2008, 10:36 AM

Quote:

The 360 will max at at 1080i if you don't go HDMI. I did it for that reason. I wanted to see 1080p, especially on the HD-DVDs that I still own.

Not necessarily, I play games at 1080p on my 360 over component. But that is because my tv accepts 1080 over component, I know that some models don't. Not sure about movies, because I don't have the HD DVD add on, but it shouldn't make a difference. I can watch HD DVDs on my Toshiba A1 at 1080p over component. I think the only downside to component, is that you can't upscale regular DVDs.

Also, I think you'll be hard pressed to find any games for either the PS3 or 360 that are 1080p. The vast majority of the games are 720p, and it will most likely stay that way until the next generation of systems come out.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page