My New Theater - Version 2.0! - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 1361 Old 12-11-2008, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
If you need any help, or want more company I can stop by on my way home from work today

- Josh

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 1361 Old 12-11-2008, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Looking foward to that one on BluRay too. Ordered it from Amazon, it should be here tomorrow. Amazon actually gave me a digital download of it since I bought the Bluray from them. My kids were eager to see it again (we saw it in the theaters) so I hooked up my laptop to my living room set and they saw it last night. Pretty good except that the bars appeared to be extra thick for some reason.. I didn't want to spoil it, so I'm waiting for the blu ray.

post #723 of 1361 Old 12-11-2008, 01:08 PM

Liked: 10
Well FedEx showed up at my house today but it was just a frigin' down coat from LLBean to keep me warm in this cold climate of the Northeast! Great screen. I'll bet you are chomping at the bit to get it on the wall if you haven't done so already. I must be honest, I already purchased my screen as well, just a 106" 16:9 SI Screen. The frame is actually super nice and very sturdy. The box wasn't too heavy. Good luck and enjoy!!!!

Jay Mac

post #724 of 1361 Old 12-12-2008, 06:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 156
So did you have the Dark Night working last night?

post #725 of 1361 Old 12-12-2008, 07:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by youthman View Post

So did you have the Dark Night working last night?

We did! It took about an hour to get the screen together and up. I have pictures of the progress that I'll post shortly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maclovin View Post

Well FedEx showed up at my house today but it was just a frigin' down coat from LLBean to keep me warm in this cold climate of the Northeast! Great screen. I'll bet you are chomping at the bit to get it on the wall if you haven't done so already. I must be honest, I already purchased my screen as well, just a 106" 16:9 SI Screen. The frame is actually super nice and very sturdy. The box wasn't too heavy. Good luck and enjoy!!!!

Jay Mac

I'm very pleased with the screen. It was hard to tell from the sample, but the actual screen is very bright and sharp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oman321 View Post

Looking foward to that one on BluRay too. Ordered it from Amazon, it should be here tomorrow. Amazon actually gave me a digital download of it since I bought the Bluray from them. My kids were eager to see it again (we saw it in the theaters) so I hooked up my laptop to my living room set and they saw it last night. Pretty good except that the bars appeared to be extra thick for some reason.. I didn't want to spoil it, so I'm waiting for the blu ray.

This was actually the first time I had seen DK. We were going to see it earlier, but were told that the IMAX version was the only way to go. We ended up missing that, so just decided to wait for the BR release and watch it in the theater. I had heard the bass rocked as well, so I was looking forward to it.

I've been following a thread over in the CIH forum talking about how the BR release switches between 2.4 and 1.78 for the roughly 20 minutes of the movie that were shot in IMAX. Opinions seemed to be mixed about the outcome, so I'll give you mine. First, let me say that the IMAX scenes are crazy sharp, probably some of the nicest color I've seen on any Blu-Ray. However, for those of us currently using the zoom method to get CIH, the IMAX switches end up spilling over and off the screen. My wife said it wasn't a big deal and she couldn't even notice, but it was very obvious to me that about 12" of the image were projecting onto the black wall below the screen.

This wouldn't be the end of the world, but the Carada (David, I put the keyword in here for you ) fabric around the screen works so well at absorbing the overscan that there is now a horizontal bar of blackness followed by some of the image below the screen. I plan to watch it again without the zoom and see if the abscence of the extra width on the scope portion bothers me too much. It's my understanding that several movies in production (Iron Man 2 comes to mind) are going to be doing this down the road, so it may be something we have to get used to.

I plan to apply some of the Black Hole velvet both above and below the screen to catch overspill, but anything that falls below that will shine right through my speaker cloth I'm planning on applying. Oh well, might be a case to finally get that anamorphic lens up

As far as the movie itself, I liked it. I liked it more than Batman Begins, but then again, who didn't? There were still a lot of things going on and I felt like the Two Face character really didn't need as much of the spotlight as it was given, but overall I think it was a winner.

As of right now, I wil be implementing my dust blob rating system for any movie I watch. I give The Dark Knight 3 1/2 blobs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by umdivx View Post

If you need any help, or want more company I can stop by on my way home from work today

- Josh

Josh, I'd say that things are just about ready for a viewing now. Let me know if you'd like to stop by sometme next week and check it out

Jason

post #726 of 1361 Old 12-12-2008, 07:29 AM
Advanced Member

Awesome Jason. Glad you were able to enjoy your new toys! Would love to see some pics of it.

post #727 of 1361 Old 12-12-2008, 09:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I was able to get the massive Carada box down the stairs and into the theater on my own. It was definately quite challenging though. In to the family room, back through a pass through between the family room and hallway, down the stairs, into the laundry room, and finally across the hall onto the riser.

Once in the room, I pulled all of the tape off by hand (Carada makes it very obvious NOT to use a knife.. it's good to see a screen company out here that promotes peace) and moved the contents to the floor in front of the 1st row of seating. Here's what's in the box:

The screen is rolled up with a foam sheet to protect the surfaces. Also in the box are 3 supports to mount to the wall, as well as a handful of clamps to attach to the screen. Carada marks everything, so it's pretty much idiot proof to assemble. In the small bag were the screws to hold the frame together, as well as 2 pair of white gloves for handling the fabric. This is not required or mentioned in the instructions, but we did use the white gloves to mime signals to our wives who watched from the back row. If you wish to try this with YOUR Carada screen, I recommend the following signs:

Sign : Left index finger pointing forward, Rand hand cupped and moving in an up/down motion towards face.

Sign: Both hands held over the head.

Message: "Why are you making comments when we're the ones doing the work?"

Sign: Right thumb and finger cupped under chin

Sign: Hand balled in fist.

Jason

post #728 of 1361 Old 12-12-2008, 09:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Once everything was unpacked, we then slid the 4 pieces of the frame together. Again, the top pieces were marked with the "T" that you see in the pic, so it was fairly easy.

Once locked together, the only thing left on the frame was to install 2 self tapping screws through the frame and then tightening the corner snap down with a phillips screwdriver.

Here's a picture of the frame al screwed together. I didn't have a ton of space to work up front, without only about 1.5" of depth to spare when it was laying flat.

The next step was to attach the mounting brackets to the wall. The larger screens come with 2 brackets for the top of the screen, which we basically mounte equidistant from the center line on the wall. Here's a shot of the 1st one in place.

The bottom bracket was then mounted roughly in the middle. We were fortunate enough to locate a stud through one of the holes. The holes are spaced 4" on center, so every 4th hole ended up finding a stud.

I don't have a picture showing us attach the screen to the frame, but it really was a no-brainer. As mentioned before, everything is marked. You start by finding the corner of the screen marked with a "T" and align that snap with the corner of the frame with the "T". From there it's just snap snap snap. The screen ends up being nice and tight when completed.

Hanging the screen is a 2 step process. First, you lift the screen u above the top mounting bracket. There are clamps installed on both the top and bottom of the screen frame that peform , for lack of a better word, a handshake with one another. This locks the top of the screen in place. The screen has a little bit of flex, which is required for the final step. Pulling down on the frame allows you to get the clamps under the bottom bracket. Once in place, you release and the screen is snug. I would have preferred 2 brackets on the bottom though, since the screen is wider than normal.

Here's a shot of the screen in place.

and another without the flash:

Jason

post #729 of 1361 Old 12-12-2008, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Looks great, now aren't you glad you went with a scope screen

post #730 of 1361 Old 12-12-2008, 09:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Looks great, now aren't you glad you went with a scope screen

Alright.. go ahead.. Say I told you so.

Jason

post #731 of 1361 Old 12-12-2008, 09:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The next step for me (at least around the screen wall) is to build some stands to elevate my front channels. I wanted to wait until the screen was hung to see how high the speakers needed to be. I'm also planning on putting up some velvet wrapped styro both above and below the screen. I found out I can buy the material from Carada to match the screen. I haven't figured out the corners yet, since I need to work in some bass traps first.

I'd like to try and get my bass shakers installed this weekend. If that's done, I'll feel like I made some weekend progress.

On an aside, I must say that my wife knows how to bargain. She keeps talking about getting another dog. She even offered to let me get the remaining stuff for the theater, as well as a Wii if i said yes.. Talk about some serious negotiating skills!!

Jason

post #732 of 1361 Old 12-12-2008, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Pretty cool, but you better negotiate some yourself!!! You should make sure she gets put in charge of dog walking duty, espescially in the cold winter months.

post #733 of 1361 Old 12-12-2008, 09:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mn_hokie View Post

On an aside, I must say that my wife knows how to bargain. She keeps talking about getting another dog. She even offered to let me get the remaining stuff for the theater, as well as a Wii if i said yes.. Talk about some serious negotiating skills!!

Give her dog. LOL. Over the past year, my answer has been, "Yes dear, whatever you want. Sure, no problem. Get two of them while you are at it." I know I still have many pieces to buy so I want to keep her smiling.

post #734 of 1361 Old 12-12-2008, 11:38 AM

Now you've got me thinking I need to go with a 2.35:1 screen vs my 16:9. suppose I could build some masking when needed.

It looks awesome. Very nice job!

post #735 of 1361 Old 12-12-2008, 11:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Pretty cool, but you better negotiate some yourself!!! You should make sure she gets put in charge of dog walking duty, espescially in the cold winter months.

Well, we do have a fenced in yard.. hmm..

I'm currently pushing for a stuffed cat, but I do need a backup plan

Jason

post #736 of 1361 Old 12-12-2008, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by youthman View Post

Give her dog. LOL. Over the past year, my answer has been, "Yes dear, whatever you want. Sure, no problem. Get two of them while you are at it." I know I still have many pieces to buy so I want to keep her smiling.

I can echo that here. She's been really good about pushing the theater along, so I can't complain. I did mention the other night how much the rest of the stuff was going to cost. Figured I'd at least get it out there

Jason

post #737 of 1361 Old 12-12-2008, 12:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Now you've got me thinking I need to go with a 2.35:1 screen vs my 16:9. suppose I could build some masking when needed.

It looks awesome. Very nice job!

I say go for it! I was on the fence as well, but I have no regrets. You can probably get by without side masking as well. Just to give you an idea, here are 2 shots I just took of The Dark Knight.

First, the 2.4 shot:

Here's a 1.78 shot from the film with no side masking:

Jason

post #738 of 1361 Old 12-12-2008, 12:47 PM

Jason,

What are the specs on your screen? L x W x H? Thanks.

Jay

post #739 of 1361 Old 12-12-2008, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Jason,

What are the specs on your screen? L x W x H? Thanks.

Jay

Outside frame dimensions are 122" X 54.5" roughly.

Jason

post #740 of 1361 Old 12-12-2008, 01:17 PM

thanks. that may not work on my wall in this theater. but on the next theater build....

post #741 of 1361 Old 12-12-2008, 01:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

thanks. that may not work on my wall in this theater. but on the next theater build....

That's 128" screen, So just go smaller

Jason

post #742 of 1361 Old 12-13-2008, 08:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

Operation Carada Enters Phase 2

... had just settled down to eat my lunch (General Tso's Chicken if you must know) so phase 3 will being later this afternoon.

More pics to come!

I love General Tso's chicken.

Enjoy the screen! Just don't let it slow down construction. All construction has halted in my theater for now. I have been traveling for the last two weeks and screwed up my back with uncomfortable hotel beds and airline seats.

My build thread:

post #743 of 1361 Old 12-13-2008, 10:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdtheater View Post

I love General Tso's chicken.

Enjoy the screen! Just don't let it slow down construction. All construction has halted in my theater for now. I have been traveling for the last two weeks and screwed up my back with uncomfortable hotel beds and airline seats.

It shouldn't slow me down too much. I'm planning on getting the bass shakers done this weekend, so we'll see how that goes.

Jason

post #744 of 1361 Old 12-13-2008, 07:43 PM

Nice work!!! How do you like your showtimes seats? did anyone give you any info about the Usher series of seats before you decided?
post #745 of 1361 Old 12-14-2008, 09:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimchim View Post

Nice work!!! How do you like your showtimes seats? did anyone give you any info about the Usher series of seats before you decided?

I love the Showtime seats. I haven't installed my bass shakers yet, so the seats aren't hooked together at the moment. This causes them to move a little when my kids use their hands to push the footrest in instead of their feet, but this should be easily fixed once the seats are latched together in each row.

I ordered my seats from Stargate Cinema. The Ushers were actually my first choice, but after talking to the owner at Stargate, he recommended that I go with the Showtimes for the higher back. I'm 5'11 and he said that the ushers would be too short for me, so I trusted him on it. I'm pretty pleased with the comfort level.

Jason

post #746 of 1361 Old 12-15-2008, 02:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 233
Nice screen shots. Was that you behind the wheel?

post #747 of 1361 Old 12-15-2008, 03:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow View Post

Nice screen shots. Was that you behind the wheel?

Yea, that's me. We have to drive the heavy duty stuff here in the winter

Jason

post #748 of 1361 Old 12-15-2008, 03:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 233
Quote:

Yea, that's me. We have to drive the heavy duty stuff here in the winter

I thought you tried to get in the shot again. I do the same with Angelina Jolie movies. My wife doesn't invite people over any more...

I thought I remember you saying you picked up an inexpensive A lense. Are you using that in these pics?

post #749 of 1361 Old 12-15-2008, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow View Post

I thought you tried to get in the shot again. I do the same with Angelina Jolie movies. My wife doesn't invite people over any more...

I thought I remember you saying you picked up an inexpensive A lense. Are you using that in these pics?

Ha! No, I'm not in any of those shots. That's pretty funny about Angelina Jolie.

Yes, I have a 1st generation CAVX anamorphic lens, but I haven't installed it yet. I probably will at some point, but what you're seeing in those pictures is simply the lens memory feature being used on the AE3000 to zoom for a 2.35 image.

Jason

post #750 of 1361 Old 12-15-2008, 06:41 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

lens memory feature being used on the AE3000 to zoom for a 2.35 image.

Looking good! How do you likig the PJ? This is the one I am targeting as well, with any luck (depending on build progress) I will order right after the holidays! The zoom memory is an awsome feature. Great screen shots BTW.

If I had it to do all over again, I'd still hit that shot.

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page