My New Theater - Version 2.0! - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 1361 Old 04-17-2008, 10:54 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Looks good!

Have you decided if you will use Linacoustics on the entire bottom half or are you contemplating panels?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 1361 Old 04-17-2008, 11:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I'm leaning towards panels at this point. That will give me more time to listen to the room and decide what needs to be done once everything is in place.
post #93 of 1361 Old 04-22-2008, 08:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

We're going to check them out one more time today at Menards, but I think I've decided on the base cabinets to hold the DVDs in the theater.

I initially wasn't sure about the lighter wood, but considering I'm doing darker colors on the wall, I'm really starting to like how they compliment each other. I can get 66 inches worth for under $500, which is almost half of what cabinets were going to run me everywhere else. I'm looking at doing a 24"+18"+24" setup, with each cabinet having 4 drawers. That should allow for plenty of room to store our growing collection of movies.

I should also add that I've changed my mind about doing a dark maple stain on the baseboard and chair rail. I'm now leaning towards a painted chocolate brown to blend in to the lower half of the wall. We saw this combo at a wine bar over the weekend and loved it.
post #94 of 1361 Old 04-27-2008, 07:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Cabinets were ordered and should be here in 2 weeks so I'll get some updated pictures at that time. This weekend was all about getting the lumber for the riser and the stage.

I ended up going with 2X12s for the riser and 2X10s for the stage. Below are pictures of what was accomplished today on the riser. The riser ended up being 9 feet wide and 6 1/2 feet deep, with a 2X6 step across from the entry to the theater.

Here's a shot of the step. I still need to run electrical, as there will be 3 lights in the riser - 1 in the step and 2 on the front face. Wiring was also run for bass shakers to the 6 theater seats.

Finally, a shot from the front of the room. You'll also notice that the cut outs are in place now for the rear surround speakers. I installed one on the the left to show how they look.

While I was busy with the riser, my wife spent the afternoon priming the laundry area, so we're one step ahead there.
post #95 of 1361 Old 04-27-2008, 07:36 PM

Liked: 10
How far are the studs apart?
post #96 of 1361 Old 04-27-2008, 07:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Another hokie? Sweet. Class of 95 here.

Studs are 16 inches on center.
post #97 of 1361 Old 04-28-2008, 10:40 AM

Everything is looking really good Jason. Keep up the pace and you will kicked back watching movies in no time.

Chris

My Build Thread
Starting Drywall

"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son."
post #98 of 1361 Old 04-28-2008, 12:33 PM

Looks nice! Any pics of the stage?
post #99 of 1361 Old 04-28-2008, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Didn't quite make it to the stage yet That's next though. When you gonna come over and check it out? And how's your theater coming?
post #100 of 1361 Old 05-02-2008, 10:42 AM

Jayman,

Are you building the stage this weekend? Let me know if you need any help picking out some sweet seats for the theater. I saw something the other week that would look pretty good in the theater...
post #101 of 1361 Old 05-02-2008, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Most likely will get the stage in order this weekend.

Cubs seats?? Dude, this is supposed to be a home "improvement" project

My 2ns in-wall came today, so I have the set in the wall now. I also received an e-mail indicating that my cabinets are in, so I may try to pick them up this weekend - weather pending.
post #102 of 1361 Old 05-02-2008, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mn_hokie View Post

Didn't quite make it to the stage yet That's next though. When you gonna come over and check it out? And how's your theater coming?

Oops, missed your post the other day!

When are you gonna invite me over??? haha.

My theater is coming along well... I'm currently painting my screen wall and ceiling black. Should be done tonight or tomorrow.
post #103 of 1361 Old 05-02-2008, 02:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Nice. Let's see some pics! We'll have to setup a time to check them out. You're welcome over anytime though for a sneak preview.
post #104 of 1361 Old 05-05-2008, 08:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Major blunder this weekend

On a positive note, I was able to get the stage framed out. I'll post some pics of the status later on.

An now for the bad news. I used Dricore on the entire basement, with the exception of the mechanical room, which was left unfinished. Early last week, I noticed some water on the floor in the mechanical room. I wasn't a ton, so I figured it was either from the rain or I thought the drain tube to the humidifier might have come undone. The area had all kinds of debris in it, since the drywall crew basically used the room to store stuff that was in the way. The plan was to clean it out this weekend.

Well, in the midst of this, I was back in the are where the riser is. I noticed a noise that sounded like a wave machine whenever i jumped on the riser. After closer investigation, I found that water was coming out of the water pipe up in the ceiling. I checked it out and then realized that I never closed off the bleeder valve on the shutoff to the outside spigot when I turned the water back on this spring. It had been leaking a steady stream down the inside of the column and under the floor for approximately a week. Yuck!

The problem is fixed now and we installed a dehumidfier yesterday. Hopefully running it for the next several days will remove the rest of the water.
post #105 of 1361 Old 05-08-2008, 07:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Things are drying out nicely, so we should be back where we need to be by this weekend.

I've recently been thinking about equipment for the theater. I've heard lots of good things about the new Intergra DTC 9.8 receiver, so I'm putting it on the watch list for now.
post #106 of 1361 Old 05-12-2008, 09:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Progress!

My wife and I have been working in tandem in the basement. The laundry area now has it's first coat of paint on the walls. Moving over to the theater side, I was able to finish the stage this weekend. First, a picture of the framing:

The stage was built using 2X10 lumber. Joists are spaced 16" on center, with the exception of the two end chambers, which are 20" wide. These have been lined and filled with sand, which I allowed to dry for several days. Subs will sit in the corners. The remaining chambers were fill with 3 layers of R-13 insulation. Overall dimensions are 10 inches high X 23 inches deep X 146 inches long.

The stage was then covered with a 1/2" sheet of plywood, which I screwed down pretty securely. Since the depth was 23" deep, the ply provides a 1" lip for carpeting to wrap under. I plan to frame out two columns on the ends of the stage to hide the subs and front channels. I'm still thinking of what will work best for the center channel.
post #107 of 1361 Old 05-12-2008, 11:41 AM

Are you doing a false wall setup or will the screen be directly on the wall?
post #108 of 1361 Old 05-12-2008, 12:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I liked the false wall idea, but I can't give up bringing the screen any closer to the front row, so it will be mounted on the wall you see in the pics above. Here's an idea of what I'm looking to do:

I'm planning on building columns wrapped in fabric on the left and ride of the stage. This will hide the main channels and subs. My center speaker will most likely reside on a stand in the middle of the stage. I I thought of closing it in as well, but I think that would end up covering the entire stage, and I really liked the idea of the carpet rolling down from the stage.
post #109 of 1361 Old 05-12-2008, 12:15 PM

Hey Jason,
Looks like your almost ready to have me over for a beer.

Scott
post #110 of 1361 Old 05-12-2008, 12:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

post #111 of 1361 Old 05-27-2008, 08:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

It's been a few weeks since an update, so I have several pictures this time around. The final touches are being done on the electrical this Thursday, so I wanted to have the rough-in for the riser lighting done, as well as the paint.

First, the two lights being used along the front of the riser:

This shot shows the coverr of the lights. The riser will be wrapped in carpet of course.

A third light is being recessed into the back of the step leading up the riser.

The base cabinets for my DVD storage area came in as well. I ended up going with two 24" bases and one 18" base. Here's a shot of the 18", just to give everyone an idea of the wood color.

On that note - the opening around my cabinets is about 1 1/2" taller than I need it to be. I'll be trimming that area out to cover the gap, but was wondering if anyone had any pictures of similar jobs showing how the work was finished. If so, I'd love to see.
post #112 of 1361 Old 05-27-2008, 08:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Paint colors have now been finalized as well:

All three colors are Sherwin Williams. From left to right:

Black Bean / SW 6006 (Ceiling and Soffit)
Theatre Red / SW 7584 (Upper Wall)
Suede Chaps / SW 7153 (Lower Wall)

The samples are actually deeper and darker than they appear in the image.

In addition to these three colors, I picked up a gallon of Mouse Ear paint from the Behr Disney Collection at Home Depot. This black will go on the front wall and columns that you'll see in the next set of pictures.
post #113 of 1361 Old 05-27-2008, 08:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The walls are now primed. WARNING: These are not the actual colors Columns will be black, soffit will be a VERY deep brown, and the walls will be burgundy up top and suede brown below. One thing I failed to mention earlier is that I'll have a chair rail splitting the two colors. The wood will be stained to match the cabinets in the above pictures.

And a shot of the primed soffit:

post #114 of 1361 Old 05-27-2008, 08:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Light trims are on their way as well. For the two 3" lights over the rear seating area, I went with a bronze finish:

Lighting over the DVD storage area will be a standard 6" trim kit with the same bronze finish. For the two lights over the stage and poster area between the columns, I went with an adjustable aperature trim:

post #115 of 1361 Old 05-27-2008, 09:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well, I was able to get the first coat of paint on the ceiling tonight. Here's a shot. I still need to paint the underside of the soffit, which will match the ceiling when done.

Here's a close-up shot of the soffit detail. The flash washes this out a little, as the color is much darker than appears in this image.

post #116 of 1361 Old 05-28-2008, 05:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

After two VERY thick coats of brown paint on the ceiling and soffit, those areas are now done. It seems no matter how many coats I do on ceilings, you can still always see faint brush marks when shining very bright light directly on the surface. Under normal conditions, it looks as smooth as silk.

My light trims also came today, so I'm looking forward to seeing how they pair up with the paint color on the soffit.

The plan for tonight is to get both coats of black paint on the both the columns and the front wall. If I'm lucky, we'll also be able to get the first coat of "theatre red" paint on the upper half of the side and back walls. I'll update with additional pictures once complete.
post #117 of 1361 Old 05-29-2008, 08:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The ceiling is now done. We were also able to get two coats of the black paint on yesterday, which you can see on the columns and front wall. The first coat of "theatre red" is now on the upper half of the walls.One more coat to go and then on to the brown suede across the bottom.

Front wall:

Rear wall:

post #118 of 1361 Old 05-29-2008, 08:26 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Looking good. I'm extremely jealous you have a wife that is willing to help. Not only did mine not offer any assistance, she actually gave me grief for going down there. Nice supportive spouse, huh?

My Basement Theater/Rec Room
"I don't have some way to put it...that's the way it is."
post #119 of 1361 Old 05-29-2008, 09:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Frorule,

Thanks for the comments. Yea, it's great to have the help downstairs. She's been awesome throughout this entire project.

I just read your thread. I really like the masking system that you put in place. I've been bouncing back and forth between 1.78 an 2.35. I really like the 2.35 look, but it didn't make much sense for regular tv and computer games, so I think I've decided on a 1.78. The Carada Masquerade system is cool, but for almost $3K, I like your idea much better. Be on the lookout for a private message from me when the time comes.
post #120 of 1361 Old 05-29-2008, 09:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Here are a few shots of the work going on over on the other side of the basement.

The cabinets are actually the ones going in the theater for DVD storage, but we're planning on going with the same style in the laundry area for wall mounted cabinets. The counter top will go on the backside of the recessed cabinets, and if you look closely, you can see a sample of the vinyl we're planning on putting on the floor.

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction