Mouse Ears Flat Black - Uniform appearance? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 02-11-2008, 10:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
My friend painted my ceiling and front wall Mouse Ears flat black from Home Depot - Behr paint.

He painted over white ceiling paint and beige eggshell paint on the front wall. He used 3 coats with no primer. The areas to be painted had been painted about a year ago and were in good shape.

Once he was done, the finish was not a uniform black - it was various shades of black and charcoal gray almost. He used a roller and the finish also showed lines in places.

He does this for a living and usually gets good results. However, he has never used flat black paint.

Would a primer make a difference here? I have read a primer helps the paint to adher better and results in a more uniform appearance. Does simply adding additional coats result in the same thing?

We may use primer in a section of the ceiling and then paint over it to see if any positive change results.

Any comments and insight would be appreciated. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 02-12-2008, 12:09 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I used some grey primer from HD. Good stuff. If you are using flat it is going to reveal any dust or hand prints. They key to a good finish, especially with the mouse ears, is having a clean room. Pictured is BEHR Premium Plus, Deep Base, Acrylic Latex. One coat is going to look grey naturally if your room is clean or not. Thats is why I bought extra. I used primer on doors and everything else painted also. I looked at paint at both wally world, Lowes, and some other place that didn't even sell black before I selected it. Each time I had the paint person in the department do me a sample and had them dry it for me. I stared at them for a few minutes and felt somewhat guilty walking away afterwards for putting them through the trouble but most times, they said it was no problem.

After two days of painting, the room was swept by someone and I nearly collapsed when I saw what it had done to my finish.

It looked like this afterwards. They feather dusted the walls while I was in the other room ranting and going on. That made things much worse.

Whenever more work is done in the HT, I use a mini roller. Not sure what your budget is, but I would recommend investing in a nice vacuum.

I was proud to have the Dyson around after the third coat and so much, I added it to my photo collection. Sorry if this is going off-topic.

Here is a close-up. Not my vacuum! It does get the job done however.

post #3 of 7 Old 02-12-2008, 04:58 AM

Liked: 10
Yes primer will help, just take it slow on the last coats and make sure your dont have any roller marks, I was able to cover my ceiling in 2 coats and it looks great
post #4 of 7 Old 02-12-2008, 05:11 AM

If this is for any wall that might be touched, do yourself a favor and use eggshell. The glare won't be THAT bad and you'll save yourself many days of anguish over fingerprints and dust marks. I'm having a hard enough time with my flat black ceiling (mickey mouse ears)... I'd NEVER paint my walls flat black, it would just be too difficult to keep clean.

Nick
post #5 of 7 Old 02-12-2008, 11:42 AM

I used a grey primer and mouse ears behr flat black for my ceiling and screen wall. I agree, hand prints will show up. The other 3 walls are a dark burgandy in the behr flat enamel.

There is no way I would paint black over white without a primer. You are using way more of the black which costs more than the primer. Besides, primer also works to treat the wall and seal it before your paint goes on.

Best way to take care of marks on the flat black is to paint over the areas that need it.

Jay
post #6 of 7 Old 02-12-2008, 12:16 PM

I used 2 coats of the mouse ears over bare drywall.

post #7 of 7 Old 02-13-2008, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 58
I just did 2 coat of mickey mouse's ear black on a plain white wall. the key is when you paint the wall, try NOT to use too much paint at once or dip too much paint on the roller! and small area at a time!

I don't think you can go any blacker than this "black hole"....

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page