Old 03-18-2009, 05:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sands_at_Pier147 View Post

My new water heaters arrived yesterday afternoon.

I got home so late from work yesterday, I was exhausted, and I didn't have a chance to play with them. Tonight I am going to hook them up in the living room and give them a test drive, and then bring them upstairs to the theater.

Those look like fun

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2009, 08:07 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
With the protective cardboard sheaths on the subs, they remind me of the fiber canisters I use for trash at my Oktoberfest party.

Suddenly I need a beer ...

It appears my hypocrisy knows no bounds.

Brian
The Cinema Rouge Home Theater
Old 03-23-2009, 09:00 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I continued wiring the electrical for my Grafik Eye this weekend. I ran almost 200 feet of Romex to wire in the six zones. I'll have to get a picture of that when I've tidied up the junction box.

Other than that, I got some wallpaper on the ceiling.

It's the Anaglypta Egon pattern. I wanted a tin ceiling look, without actually putting up a tin ceiling. I'll paint the Anaglypta flat black. The soffit above the Anaglypta will be covered in GOM. There will be a similar soffit below the Anaglypta which will house some 3" recessed light cans to wash the walls in soft light.

Brian
Old 03-23-2009, 03:22 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I like the wallpaper, I wish I would have thought of that. I did texture my ceiling, but that pattern has a more elegant look.
Old 03-23-2009, 03:57 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks. You did a good job with the stucco effect on your ceiling. I'm going to have to learn how to do that. I want to do some stucco walls in the wine cellar when I get to that project. I can't imagine having done that overhead!

Brian
Old 03-23-2009, 04:03 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I ordered more stuff today. I have a Lutron LUT-LBX Synthetic Load for the stair/riser rope lights. The calculated load wasn't nearly 25 Watts on that zone, so I'll need to augment it. The rope lights in the soffit should be fine (45 feet at 0.8 W/ft).

I also have a return air grill coming for the lobby.

I love shopping.

Brian
Old 03-31-2009, 12:18 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I want to put downlighting along the side walls (the vertical walls, not the part I just papered). I intend to use recessed lighting to "wash" the wall with light, as I have seen many of you people do. There will be a soffit at the top of the wall in which I will install the recessed cans.

Is there a rule of thumb for the horizontal distance away from the wall to the edge of the can for the proper effect? Because of the sloping ceiling above the wall, I need to consider the installed-depth of the can. I am hoping to figure out what size can will fit before I go buy one to test it, and the size can that will fit is dependent on the distance away from the wall.

Brian
Old 08-23-2009, 07:35 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Wow - I got an "Old Thread Warning" when I went to post my semi-annual theater build update. If that's not an indication I am a slacker, I don't know what is ...

New job, lot more travel. I don't have a lot of evenings anymore to go do little things here and there in the theater. Let me put it this way, for all you frequent fliers ... It's only the third week of August, and I've already made Platinum on Northwest. And I was on vacation for the first three weeks of January. I think they added the fourth "diamond" tier just for me.

And on weekends, my wife thinks I should be building fences and brick walls. As if those can't be done after it starts snowing. Harumph!

So here is my measly update.

First, the Grafik Eye is mounted. It will be set in a corner column eventually, but for now it is functional.

I am using it to control two zones. One of the zones I wanted to test was the rope lighting for the riser. Because of the short led ropes (i.e., low wattage) I had to wire in a synthetic load. It works well. One thing I have noticed is when I turn it on, the lights flash bright, then off, and then slowly fade in to the setting on the graphic eye. Obviously some capacitance in the synthetic load circuitry. The other zone I am using is an outlet in the ceiling I will eventually plug the ceiling rope lights into. For now, I have a floor lamp plugged into it.

Behind the wall for the Graphic Eye I ran all of the Romex into a 6x6 JB. From there, I am transitioning to individual THHN wires, so I can save the bulk of the sheathing and extra neutrals and grounds. Plus the conduit makes a neater entrance into the GE box in the wall.

Brian
Old 08-23-2009, 07:40 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

The door plaque was cast back in the spring. I am pleased with how it came out. I have no theater, but I have a bronze plaque on the door. Nice! To the left of the door you can see the entrance scene 1 push button, and higher up the heat sink for the synthetic load.

Brian
Old 08-23-2009, 07:45 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I covered the blue acoustic cotton in the soffit with kraft paper, and painted the textured wall paper black. It needs a second coat of black paint, but I'll do that when I put in the lower soffit. The frame for the soffits will be covered with cloth, so I am just hitting them once with a flat black, but the paper is "final" surface, so it needs a second coat.

Brian
Old 08-24-2009, 07:47 AM

Very nice! I am not a fan of wallpaper, but your wallpaper painted black looks great and adds some depth. Very well done. Where did you get the entrance scene push button? Was it easy to wire up to the Grafik Eye? (sorry, I'm brain dead when it comes to electrical!)

Ryan
Old 08-24-2009, 08:22 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I was hesitant to use wallpaper myself. I had looked at a few different types of ceiling tiles and wasn't quite satisfied with their quality, their appearance, or their ability to be secured to the ceiling without a track. I stumbled on the Anaglypta wall paper, and I was fairly impressed with the depth of the pattern, and the fact that it was paintable.

It was also very easy to hang. There are no seams. I was able to plan the two soffits to be spaced apart exactly the width of the paper (20.5"). It might have been more difficult for ceiling tiles, because I could not have been able to space the soffits 24" (would have made the lower soffit too small) and so I would have been cutting all of the tiles). And being one long 20-foot piece of wall paper, there are no vertical seams, either.

Brian
Old 08-24-2009, 08:37 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripcord87 View Post

Where did you get the entrance scene push button? Was it easy to wire up to the Grafik Eye?

I don't remember where I got it off hand. I have a spreadsheet on my other laptop (at home) where I wrote it down. I'll check tonight. I know I just shopped around for the cheapest price at the time, so that might have changed since then.

The unit is an NTGRX-1S Entrance Control. It is very easy to wire into the 3000 series Grafik Eyes. For the 3000 series, it uses standard 120 V line voltage wiring (if you are using a 4000 series GE, it needs Class 2 PELV wiring). So it just needs some Romex between the NTGRX-1S and GE, or to a separate junction box where the GE wires are all combined.

Here's a link to the Lutron spec sheet on the unit:

http://www.lutron.com/grafikeye/specs/ntgrx-1s.pdf

Brian
Old 08-24-2009, 10:30 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

These rotofast things are great.

Very easy to attach OC 703 to the wall. For people who don't know, the big orange plastic wheels just thread directly into the panel with the orange plastic tool.

Then you put a special plug into the hole with a screw sticking out so you can mark the locations on the wall.

When you press the panel against the wall, the screw points make a mark on the wall where the fasteners will go (or stick in it).

Then you screw a ribbed plug to the wall in those locations.

And press the panel to the wall, so the black plugs fit in the orange fasteners.

And they are very secure. I had to remove one. I destroyed the fiberglass in trying to remove it from the wall. These aren't coming down.

Brian
Old 08-24-2009, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

The wall behind my screen doesn't need nice panels, per se. So I covered it with rigid fiberglass using the rotofast fasteners.

And that takes me up to where the theater is today. There is a thin tack strip along the ceiling of the front wall, so I can staple some black GOM 701 in front of it, to make it black and to contain fibers. Maybe this evening I can start that endeavor.

Brian
Old 08-24-2009, 10:41 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

And yes, I messed up.

I could have built the stage and/or the screen wall frame anywhere I wanted to. So I put it there, where I did, and secured the hell out of it to the ceiling and the floor. Then I stood up the subwoofers, and realized they wouldn't fit.

At one point, the subs were going to be cube-shaped, and would have fit under the cross bar beneath the screen. Then I decided on cylinders. I actually need the two inches of space that the 703 would have taken up behind them, just so they will fit behind an eventual horizontal cross bar piece of the screen wall frame. So the 703 was removed from behind the subwoofers so I could push them back another inch or so.

Brian
Old 08-25-2009, 09:26 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripcord87 View Post

Where did you get the entrance scene push button?

The NTGRX-1S was purchased from dimmers.net.

Brian
Old 08-31-2009, 09:37 AM

Hey Brian,

Thanks so much for the info on the entrance control. I will definitely have to incorporate that into my design. It's great to hear that the wallpaper worked so well for you. Also, thanks for the tip on the fasteners as well. I look forward to continuing to watch as this project moves closer to completion.

Ryan
Old 01-06-2010, 10:24 AM

Sands_at_pier147

I have the paradigm sa35 inwalls they are killer speakers.
I'm using them for surrounds and back surrounds. cool job on the theater work looks good.

chester
Old 01-06-2010, 11:43 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks.

I forgot I had a build thread. I'll have to post some photos when I get back next week. Haven't done a whole lot lately. My job suddenly began to require a significant amount of travel last year, so I lost a lot of weeknights to work on it. The weekends were busy finishing up the outdoor projects. Then I undertook some projects in the woodshop for Christmas gifts. Now it is Mardi Gras season. And I am still travelling.

But half of the ceiling is done. Fiber optics and all. And I did put up the black GOM on the front wall. And I built three towers to mount the SA-35s in for the front speakers, so I now have sound, too.

My speakers hiss, though. I am concerned they might be too efficient. I am using a spare Sony DA5ES to drive them. When I put in the Integra, if they still hiss, I might find myself seeking different speakers. I might go to the Milennia Hybrids. But not yet.

Brian
Old 01-08-2010, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sands_at_Pier147 View Post

I forgot I had a build thread.

No worries. Lot of that going around...

Looking forward to the pics

Man, that took longer than I thought it would...

Loganed 4/6/08 Logan's Hero 5/1/08

RPh Drew's INDEXED Thread - Logan's Hero... for now...

2010 - The year of the Shed
Old 02-18-2010, 02:26 PM

Did you finish your theater? Would love to see some pictures.
Old 03-02-2010, 08:27 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Oh, geez, no. I'm on the extended plan. I probably won't even finish this year, but who knows. I've got the bug right now to do some work because I have a light travel schedule in March and I still can't do outside projects in the snow. Maybe I'll be able to get some major sections done in March, like the ceiling and the light tray.

I've got three-fourths of the fiber optic ceiling panels up. I took these pictures when only two of the four were up.

The door still doesn't have the door jamb and acoustical stops on it - hence the glow.

Brian
Old 03-02-2010, 08:29 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

The front of the room has been covered in black fabric, too.

And with the speakers in, it is a lot more fun to work in the room. Deafening - but fun.

Brian
Old 03-09-2010, 07:13 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

And now the fiber optic panels are complete.

I am going to add some walnut trim around the edge where the panels meet the soffit. I am also planning on adding some sculpted trim along the three horizontal seams. In my head, it will look like a skylight with walnut casing and walnut mullions. I picked up a bunch of 8-foot walnut boards yesterday. I hope tomorrow and thursday I can run them through a planer, rip them to size, and rout some molding profiles into them. If I can start the varnishing early enough, I might be able to put them up this weekend.

Brian
Old 03-09-2010, 07:15 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I also covered the rear soffit with fabric, and put two cast iron grills over the HVAC return vent holes. These are both 4x14 grills.

Brian
Old 03-09-2010, 07:17 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I also put a pair of 2.5x12 grills in the stage over the two fron HVAC supply ducts. These had previously been open, but since I got the rear grills up, I figured I'd put the front grills up, too.

Brian
Old 03-09-2010, 07:23 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I needed some more fabric to run the length of the side soffits. Assuming that comes this week, I'll probably staple that up this weekend, too. Then I can begin to contemplate the light tray around the star ceiling. I change the design in my head every time I look at it, but I am converging on a solution. I have some extra walnut, so I can play around with a few concepts and see what looks right.

If I run out of things to do, I am ready to put in two bass traps in the front corners. I have all of the material to do those, so I just need to do it. Then I might be done with the front wall, too, and I can begin to think about the screen wall.

The sconces are sitting in boxes on the stage, but I don't think the columns they get mounted to will be installed until summer.

It's so dark in the theater, though. I have been using one of those up-reflecting halogen torches. Now that the ceiling is covered in black fabric, there is nothing to reflect the light around the room. The light just gets sucked out of the room. I think I'll tack a piece of white poster board up to let the light reflect off of something temporarily.

Brian
Old 03-10-2010, 06:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Looking really good Brian!!!

Mike
Old 03-10-2010, 07:33 AM