post #211 of 217 Old 02-13-2012, 06:27 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post

I noticed the plug looks weird and the dimmable receptacle has an odd protrusion. What is that for?

Do you need to use a special plug or adapter?
How is the dimming feature on the star ceiling?

It is a dimmable receptacle. The protrusion is designed to physically reject any appliance that does not have the mating plug attached to the end of it. For a dimmable load, you just replace the plug end and it will work just fine. It prevents you (or the next homeonwer) from plugging in a vacuum cleaner or a television and then inadvertently dimming it.

So, yes, you do need the special plug to go with the special outlet.

Dimming the coolsky LED fiber optic generator works just fine. Ditto for the LED rope light.

It appears my hypocrisy knows no bounds.

Brian
The Cinema Rouge Home Theater
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 217 Old 02-13-2012, 06:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sands_at_Pier147 View Post

It is a dimmable receptacle. The protrusion is designed to physically reject any appliance that does not have the mating plug attached to the end of it. For a dimmable load, you just replace the plug end and it will work just fine. It prevents you (or the next homeonwer) from plugging in a vacuum cleaner or a television and then inadvertently dimming it.

So, yes, you do need the special plug to go with the special outlet.

Dimming the coolsky LED fiber optic generator works just fine. Ditto for the LED rope light.

Does anyone make a special plug converter so you don't have to replace the existing plug?

Regarding the dimming of the star ceiling,do you think it is worth the effort/added expense?
post #213 of 217 Old 02-13-2012, 06:50 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Does anyone make a special plug converter so you don't have to replace the existing plug?

Not that I know of. It seems that would defeat the purpose of the physical protection. They want you to have to physically put a plug on any device you want to dim through a dimmable receptacle.

Quote:

Regarding the dimming of the star ceiling,do you think it is worth the effort/added expense?

Yes.

Brian
post #214 of 217 Old 04-08-2012, 10:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Holy epic theater design!

Great work!

In terms of LFE, size does matter!
post #215 of 217 Old 06-01-2012, 07:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
How are you liking the two SVS subs in the front of the room? My design is to have to of the SVS PC13s. I spoke with Bryan Page a lot and right now my design has them centered front and back of the room, which is better acoustically but it means my back row must be movie seating instead of nice theater recliners...

When I did all my design work I was sitting on a computer designing all the angles, etc. but now that my theater got delayed a few months I'm wondering how much it would really matter if I just put both subs in the front of the room and had better seating. Thanks for the feedback!
post #216 of 217 Old 06-04-2012, 09:20 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I am afraid I don't have good news for you with respect to your desired seating ...

I wound up moving one of the subs to the back of the room. There was a black hole at the primary (front row) seats at around 34 Hz, which I determined to be quarter wave interference from the back wall.

The only way to eliminate it was to move one of the subs away from the front wall. I didn't want it in the middle of the room, so it wound up in the back, where it would be less noticeable.

They aren't centered, because I couldn't fit the tall cylinder in the middle. It doesn't fit behind the screen or under the screen, so it would block the screen if I put it in the middle. I did a number of iterations with one sub on one side of the screen, and then moving the other sub around the room. The best I found - both subjectively and also analytically - was front right and back right. Here is the front position:

Notice the sub is on the right side of the screen, and there is still a "pocket" in the wall on the left where I had intended the other sub to have been. Then in the back right, here is the other sub on the riser in the back corner:

I will opine that I really do enjoy this positioning. I had some limitations, too, but I feel the acoustics work well. I don't have a chart to show you of final acoustics in the room, but I am very happy with where my subs wound up. Maybe a back corner position would work for you, too? That might help you with your seating choice.

Brian
post #217 of 217 Old 07-14-2012, 11:23 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sands_at_Pier147 View Post

I wound up moving one of the subs to the back of the room. There was a black hole at the primary (front row) seats at around 34 Hz, which I determined to be quarter wave interference from the back wall.

I really enjoyed reading the tread. As others before me have said, the place looks awesome. What did you use to gather the response curves? Did you try to analyze the room size before bulding with some of the frequency response calculators out there? However, I am not sure anything would be useful with the kneewall / ceiling set up you had. Again. Nice job.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page