Sonystyle stores have 3d display to check out - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 39 Old 01-16-2010, 10:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 40
I got a chance to check it out Saturday morning. I was especially impressed with the video games, especially with MLB. It was a sight to behold. The graphics alone were crystal clear and very colorful. It was a very short clip but in one scene the camera panned over the crowd (best looking crowd in any sports game to date) and the separation between fans near and far was fantastic. It looked better than real. There also appeared to be more individualized crowd movements than I've ever seen in a sports game (If you know what I mean). I could go on and on about MLB but I'll just end by saying that I was transfixed by how good it looked in 3D. If someone else gets a chance to see it please verify what I've seen. Another game was I think Motorsport where you were racing through a jungle. Very realistic, very 3D and very got to have it. The other top notch 3D presentation was a game that I've not seen before. It looked like a hyped up Asteroid type shooter with bright, sharp, very, very colorful, highly detailed graphics and the 3D was "out of this world." I imagine someone playing that game and making mistakes by taking their eyes off the targets to gaze at the colorful, intense 3D graphics. There was a lot of action going on in the game at one point and man it sure looked pretty. I'd play that game just based on looks alone. There was also a futuristic type racing game that was ok but not as good as the Motorsport game as far as the 3D and a war game who's name I forgot. I'd have to look at that one again to form an opinion.

Other clips involved nature and soccer games which Sony appeared to be hyping (World Cup in 3D). The 3D on the soccer clips were ok but did not stand out as well as video games. Some scenes didn't even look like they were in 3D until you took the glasses off and put them back on. I was looking forward to seeing some clips of recent 3D animated movies and they had a small picture poster of Cloudy With A Chance of Meatballs in the vicinity but it was not on the clip I saw. I asked a Sony guy did they have other clips and he said Sony changes them every week. So next week there should be other clips from the rotation. The glasses were just fine and I had no problems or reservations with them. I thought they were comfortable and light enough. My wife thought they were sorta big and assumed they were made to fit over the glasses of those that wear them. I noticed that when I turned my head away from the screen and then turned back to watching the clips that the glasses very quickly synced back up with the picture. I also saw one instance of ghosting which happened on one clip and one clip only. I sat through the clips for two complete loops but only saw the ghosting 1X. By the way, another Sony guy said that the PS3 had been firmware updated.

I saw folks casually come up, put on the glasses watch for a short while and then move on to something else in the store. I guess everyone isn't as enthused as I am. I did get into a conversation with two guys who liked what they saw. I told one of them that I was going with Panasonic and said plasmas had the IR problem. I didn't call him out on that since we had a good time oohing and aahing 3D. I have another friend who thinks plasmas need to go to the gas station every 5 years for a recharge also and I told him that wasn't true.

3D will be huge for games, sports and movies. I have no doubt about it. And it's another reason to look forward to spring as Panasonic has set that time period for releasing their 2010 models.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 39 Old 01-17-2010, 12:10 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I went back earlier today to show my wife. They had the same clips you saw. She liked the 3d stuff but didn't like the glasses at all. They were too big on her.

Stardust HD in 3d was the asteroid game. Yes the Games look great. The soccer clip gave depth to it, when they did the penalty kicks it felt like you were standing there behind watching the kick. The high overview shots had no real 3d effect.
post #33 of 39 Old 01-17-2010, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neceo View Post

I went back earlier today to show my wife. They had the same clips you saw. She liked the 3d stuff but didn't like the glasses at all. They were too big on her.

Yeah, for wives this one-format-fits-all is terrible. Somebody should start producing glasses in gazilions of frames . Then each lady would find ones that fit her - after long searching and huge expense for the husband. In fact main problem in buying the 3D system will be to find glasses in which she looks gorgeous, the display itself will be then piece of cake .

irkuck
post #34 of 39 Old 01-17-2010, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by irkuck View Post

Yeah, for wives this one-format-fits-all is terrible. Somebody should start producing glasses in gazilions of frames . Then each lady would find ones that fit her - after long searching and huge expense for the husband. In fact main problem in buying the 3D system will be to find glasses in which she looks gorgeous, the display itself will be then piece of cake .

HAHHA, well the good thing is the panasonic glasses look better and might fit better ( have to wait and see )

So anyone else gone out to check the tv out? I want to know opinions of people who actually saw it, and not personal opinion of what they "think" of 3d without seeing it as in other threads.
post #35 of 39 Old 01-17-2010, 05:00 PM

Liked: 13
I saw this set at Sony Style. From what I saw there was an optimal viewing distance. If you are too close it tends to flatten out a bit and actually get more depth sitting back a bit.

Also the picture from this set seemed a bit dim to me. Maybe it was the settings? It just didn't seem too bright compared to other LCDs and when you put on the glasses it got even darker. I would say to those who are waiting for plasma 3D, forget it. Plasma is much dimmer than LCD with 2D sets to start with. When you put on these "sunglasses" it will get even worse. 3D actually needs some "torch mode" because of the glasses or it is just too dim.

I did see a bit of flicker too but I guess it has to have some. It is displaying different frames to each eye which probably means the refresh rate per eye is halved.
post #36 of 39 Old 01-17-2010, 07:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC19 View Post

I saw this set at Sony Style. From what I saw there was an optimal viewing distance. If you are too close it tends to flatten out a bit and actually get more depth sitting back a bit.

Also the picture from this set seemed a bit dim to me. Maybe it was the settings? It just didn't seem too bright compared to other LCDs and when you put on the glasses it got even darker. I would say to those who are waiting for plasma 3D, forget it. Plasma is much dimmer than LCD with 2D sets to start with. When you put on these "sunglasses" it will get even worse. 3D actually needs some "torch mode" because of the glasses or it is just too dim.

I did see a bit of flicker too but I guess it has to have some. It is displaying different frames to each eye which probably means the refresh rate per eye is halved.

That's interesting as the set I viewed the clips on was not in any way dim. It had a perfect amount of contrast and brightness. I'm not doubting you as it probably just an adjustment issue. Regarding the plasmas that others saw at CES, I don't recall anyone mentioning that the image was dim. Back to the Sony, The clips of the soccer game took place under the lights but even the crowd in the stands were very visible and the video games clips were very vibrant. Again, it may just be a setting that needs to be adjusted.
post #37 of 39 Old 01-17-2010, 10:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
I saw this today as well just seeing the basic clips they had running. It looked pretty nice. I saw slight ghosting but overall the pic looked pretty good. The glasses being tinted takes away some of the brightness but then again I didn't grab a remote as others were watching as well.

It was interesting to hear others comment. I head a lot of I don't want to wear the glasses while watching TV and others say this gives me a headache. The pandas walking across the bridge looked really good as did the polar bear.

I didn't see the MLB game clip but I'll have to look that up the next time I go that way. I did see the soccer clip and it looked good however the standard zoomed out view didn't really look any more 3D than a standard TV.
post #38 of 39 Old 01-19-2010, 04:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by geister View Post

Although the concept of 3D consumer displays is interesting, the demo at SonyStyle actually brought home some current realities:

--It was dimmer, perhaps too dim.
--The glasses were relatively klunky and uncomfortable.
--For a natural and immersive experience, larger sizes are going to be necessary. (Guessing a minimum of 55"@10ft or less).
--At least two clips being demoed (including a game) just looked weird rather than 3D, so perhaps the quality of 3D content may vary?

That said, the 3D was impressive enough although the television itself was nothing special. Looked rather Samsungish with a wide glossy bezel.

Of course the quality of 3D will vary---just like the quality of HD varies now. For a while it will be hit and miss, until the directors and DPs learn what works best. IMO the best 3D is shot using a medium lens with a great depth of field. The experience is then more natural to the viewer, and the viewer can choose where in the scene to focus his eyes. Long lens shots lose the 3D effect, just like looking at something in the distance in real life. Shallow depth of field shots(that directors and DPs love now) don't work well in 3D since it puts part of the experience out of focus---and even Avatar suffered from a shallow depth of field occasionally.
post #39 of 39 Old 01-19-2010, 04:47 PM

I've seen this on a computer screen, where the graphics card did the work, It looked... weird, my question is why can't the dvd player, xbox, ps3 be the only thing needed to push 3d to the display device? it is after all only a display right? and 60hz is fast enough to deliver 30hz movies twice, am I wrong, is there something im missing as to why we need to purchase a new tv instead of just pushing the 3d picture to the display device?
Reply 3D Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page