Sonystyle stores have 3d display to check out - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 39 Old 01-11-2010, 04:30 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So as the title states the stores have a 3d display for all to view. I suggest you go and check it out. I saw it for a few minutes and will go back for a longer look this weekend. I liked what I saw, it doesn't pop out at you but it gives what you are looking at depth.

BUT as stated in other threads I did see some ghosting or some weird effects every so often. I can't wait to check out a plasma 3d set for this. I plan to get a 3d set, the demo footage of the ps3 game sold it for me ( I got a ps3 and wow that will be nice )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 Old 01-11-2010, 05:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Thanks for the heads up. Now if I can find a Sony store. There use to be one on N. Michigan Ave., in Chicago but it was closed a few years ago. I'll have to check for another one in Chicago.
post #3 of 39 Old 01-11-2010, 05:34 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

For those that go, let me know what you think. Did you not like the idea of 3d but after actually seeing it are interested? Don't like it after seeing it?

Let us hear it.
post #4 of 39 Old 01-11-2010, 06:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neceo View Post

So as the title states the stores have a 3d display for all to view. I suggest you go and check it out. I saw it for a few minutes and will go back for a longer look this weekend. I liked what I saw, it doesn't pop out at you but it gives what you are looking at depth.

BUT as stated in other threads I did see some ghosting or some weird effects every so often. I can't wait to check out a plasma 3d set for this. I plan to get a 3d set, the demo footage of the ps3 game sold it for me ( I got a ps3 and wow that will be nice )

Did you happen to notice if the TV was one of the new 2010 models that was announced last week at CES 2010?
post #5 of 39 Old 01-11-2010, 07:24 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb32 View Post

Did you happen to notice if the TV was one of the new 2010 models that was announced last week at CES 2010?

didn't get the best look, will take a closer one this weekend. I believe so though, but there was no info on the tv ( the employees didn't know much about it either)
post #6 of 39 Old 01-12-2010, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I just phoned one of their stores in Illinois (Woodfield Mall) and was told that yes the demo is using the new models that were at the 2010 CES. It's kinda far from where I live in Chicago but I'll be going this weekend. I'm off work today but want to wait so my wife can go with me.
post #7 of 39 Old 01-12-2010, 09:08 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Do you live close to skokie? Old orchard mall has a store

Go to sony style website and search for closest locations.
post #8 of 39 Old 01-12-2010, 10:24 AM

Hi guys, first post on this forum.
Anyway, I asked a guy in "SonyStyle" (Yorkdale Mall) store in Toronto today if they have a 3d demo,he said he doesn't know anything. Actually that guy didn't
even know how that 3d works at least I thought if SOny wants to make it work they need to educate their stuff.
post #9 of 39 Old 01-12-2010, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shtopor View Post

Hi guys, first post on this forum.
Anyway, I asked a guy in "SonyStyle" (Yorkdale Mall) store in Toronto today if they have a 3d demo,he said he doesn't know anything. Actually that guy didn't
even know how that 3d works at least I thought if SOny wants to make it work they need to educate their stuff.

Ya the sony rep didn't know anything as well at the store I was at. Sony is holding off info for a reason though, they have the tvs for display but aren't ready to market/sell them yet.
post #10 of 39 Old 01-12-2010, 04:14 PM

Yeah, I posted in one of the 3d threads about this on Sunday. The Kenwood Towne Center in Cincinnati has the demo. They were just setting it up on Sunday and completely clueless. They are using a PS3 with updated FW playing a 3d demo that consists of Nature footage, sports and games such as Little Big Planet and Wipeout HD. They had about 9 3d glasses available when I was there. When the sales guy hit play, the TV gave an error and he said that it was a prototype and needed an hour to warm up. I asked him if he was sure about that. He said that he was sure. I then wandered around knowing that someone would fix it and the manager came over and did exactly that. I then came back and checked it out with my 9 year old. We were both impressed. I liked it more than I thought I would except that my eyes took a minute to adjust after taking off the glasses. I thought the polar bear sequence looked pretty good. I'm anxious to see some of the plasma tv's in comparison. If they're better, I'm sold.
post #11 of 39 Old 01-12-2010, 04:19 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Yep it is because of your post I went to check it out. Now i am worried about onething, I went with a coworker to check it out ( we work very close to one) and they had only 2 working sets of glasses.

Now if they started with 9 and it has only been what three days, uumm wtf is with the glasses if they can break so easily
post #12 of 39 Old 01-12-2010, 04:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Do you live close to skokie? Old orchard mall has a store

Go to sony style website and search for closest locations.

Neceo, I was up that way Sunday for a model train show. If I had known, I would have checked it out. Otherwise it's a bit out of the way. So is Schaumburg but we like to hit The Streets of Woodfield Mall from time to time (Gameworks).
post #13 of 39 Old 01-12-2010, 04:56 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbug View Post

Neceo, I was up that way Sunday for a model train show. If I had known, I would have checked it out. Otherwise it's a bit out of the way. So is Schaumburg but we like to hit The Streets of Woodfield Mall from time to time (Gameworks).

It's not in the streets of woodfield but in the mall itself ( 3rd floor) that is where I was today with my coworker
post #14 of 39 Old 01-12-2010, 05:13 PM
Advanced Member

I checked the Seattle, WA Sony Style store and was told that they have the KDL-52NX800 on display. So, the 52" NX800 it is (probably in it's optional stand):
post #15 of 39 Old 01-12-2010, 05:58 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

I checked the Seattle, WA Sony Style store and was told that they have the KDL-52NX800 on display. So, the 52" NX800 it is (probably in it's optional stand):

I saw it there, didn't look into it though
post #16 of 39 Old 01-12-2010, 06:50 PM

The nx800 is not 3d capable, per the sonystyle website. The 3d tv at my local sony style looks like the xbrlx900 found here (edit: it also has an experience 3d tv link under it):

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...52921644539863

It didn't have the XBR badge on it, which is understandable because the guy there said it was just a prototype. The employees said they won't be out until this summer, but didn't know anything about pricing. Overall it looks cool but they have to provide more comfortable glasses and a good price point for it to sell.
post #17 of 39 Old 01-13-2010, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave300zx View Post

The nx800 is not 3d capable, per the sonystyle website. The 3d tv at my local sony style looks like the xbrlx900 found here (edit: it also has an experience 3d tv link under it):

It didn't have the XBR badge on it, which is understandable because the guy there said it was just a prototype. The employees said they won't be out until this summer, but didn't know anything about pricing. Overall it looks cool but they have to provide more comfortable glasses and a good price point for it to sell.

Agree. Definately not the NX800 at the store in Cincy. Looked like the lx900 and no badge. The more I think about the glasses, the more I think I better wait. I would be much more comfortable without the 3d shutter glasses. I would be fine with the polarized ones.
post #18 of 39 Old 01-13-2010, 08:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ausdaddy View Post

Agree. Definately not the NX800 at the store in Cincy. Looked like the lx900 and no badge. The more I think about the glasses, the more I think I better wait. I would be much more comfortable without the 3d shutter glasses. I would be fine with the polarized ones.

I also am on the fence....

I certainly don't want to get something now, see 3D later and love it, and be mad at myself that i didn't wait. more features are never a bad thing....

At the same time, TVs are so cheap right now that it is hard to resist a sony 46" z series for 1600 Canadian. This is a bedroom TV i'm looking at BTW. The new sets will probably be double that or MORE, which is a big diff.

Overall, i think i better wait. I always have buyers remorse, so maybe i should just suck it up, save some money, and splurge on a new HX900 or HX800 come summer. I still am torn though.
post #19 of 39 Old 01-13-2010, 08:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
The NX800 is not a 3d capable 2010 model.

post #20 of 39 Old 01-13-2010, 08:54 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by walford View Post

The NX800 is not a 3d capable 2010 model.

I never said it was, but the stores have a 3D model on display
post #21 of 39 Old 01-13-2010, 09:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I never said it was, but the stores have a 3D model on display

Oh, so the Seattle store has another 2010 model on display in addition to the NX800?
post #22 of 39 Old 01-13-2010, 09:27 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Oh, so the Seattle store has another 2010 model on display in addition to the NX800?

They should have the top of the line 3d model, forgot what it was 900 something?

Go in put on the glasses and check out the 3d tv for yourself
post #23 of 39 Old 01-13-2010, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 194
I just got back from the SonyStyle store in Atlanta (Lenox Mall). They have two of the new 3D capable displays. One is playing a 2D loop while sitting on the silver/chrome stand pictured above - looking very sexy, I might add - while the other is mounted on the wall, playing a short (2-3 min) loop of Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs.

The salesperson stationed there helped me get some glasses and answered a few of my questions - as best she could...

The TV looked to me to be about 46 inches (I didn't ask). The salesperson couldn't give me too many details - here's what I did get: about the TV - it's LCD with LED backlight, she thinks 240Hz, should be at/under $3000, officially no model numbers yet, but she thought it was NX1 or something like that (maybe she was just confusing it with the NX800, or maybe it's a different model? I couldn't say - of course SonyStyle website shows LX900, HX800, and HX900 as 2010 models with 3D capabilities)

The PS3 was delivering the content. She told me it was streaming the video - it sounds like they don't have any physical 3D movie content on hand. I'd love to find out bit-rates and other technical information about the file. She told another customer that the video games produce a very dramatic 3D effect.

My experience with the TV was mixed. The TV itself is very nice looking, and the 2D image looks excellent. The image quality in 3D is also very good, but I'm not sold on the 3D experience for home theater just yet.

The glasses, to me, are the weakest part of the experience. They were reasonably light-weight and fit over my prescription eyeglass frames just fine. The arms were very firm and pinched the back of my head where the "flexible" rubber tips fit behind my ears (not turning down, like my regular frames, but just curving inward like a lot of sporty sunglasses). The first pair I was given were not on, and apparently you can't just turn them on and have them work, so she gave me another pair.

The 3D video was only moderately dimmer wearing the glasses and I wouldn't worry about that at all, were I in the market. What would bother me a little (other than the fit of the glasses) is the flicker. It flickers a good bit more than my Panasonic plasma playing Blu-rays at 48Hz. I couldn't say if it was a sync problem with the glasses, or a frame rate problem or a display refresh rate issue - but it was real, and interrupted the video in a way RealD 3D in the theaters does not.

The only other thing I can say about it is that bigger is better. I would want only a very large display because there's a weird immersion issue for me when only a small portion of your field of view is filled with the 3D video. That's why I hope that there'll be 21:9 front projectors that are 3D capable by the time I get my budget together for a dedicated home theater. Then I can see 3D being a great in-home experience.

Having said that - I would still like to see video games and live sports on 3D TVs - they might be really cool.
post #24 of 39 Old 01-13-2010, 01:48 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopefulFred View Post

I just got back from the SonyStyle store in Atlanta (Lenox Mall). They have two of the new 3D capable displays. One is playing a 2D loop while sitting on the silver/chrome stand pictured above - looking very sexy, I might add - while the other is mounted on the wall, playing a short (2-3 min) loop of Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs.

The salesperson stationed there helped me get some glasses and answered a few of my questions - as best she could...

The TV looked to me to be about 46 inches (I didn't ask). The salesperson couldn't give me too many details - here's what I did get: about the TV - it's LCD with LED backlight, she thinks 240Hz, should be at/under $3000, officially no model numbers yet, but she thought it was NX1 or something like that (maybe she was just confusing it with the NX800, or maybe it's a different model? I couldn't say - of course SonyStyle website shows LX900, HX800, and HX900 as 2010 models with 3D capabilities)

The PS3 was delivering the content. She told me it was streaming the video - it sounds like they don't have any physical 3D movie content on hand. I'd love to find out bit-rates and other technical information about the file. She told another customer that the video games produce a very dramatic 3D effect.

My experience with the TV was mixed. The TV itself is very nice looking, and the 2D image looks excellent. The image quality in 3D is also very good, but I'm not sold on the 3D experience for home theater just yet.

The glasses, to me, are the weakest part of the experience. They were reasonably light-weight and fit over my prescription eyeglass frames just fine. The arms were very firm and pinched the back of my head where the "flexible" rubber tips fit behind my ears (not turning down, like my regular frames, but just curving inward like a lot of sporty sunglasses). The first pair I was given were not on, and apparently you can't just turn them on and have them work, so she gave me another pair.

The 3D video was only moderately dimmer wearing the glasses and I wouldn't worry about that at all, were I in the market. What would bother me a little (other than the fit of the glasses) is the flicker. It flickers a good bit more than my Panasonic plasma playing Blu-rays at 48Hz. I couldn't say if it was a sync problem with the glasses, or a frame rate problem or a display refresh rate issue - but it was real, and interrupted the video in a way RealD 3D in the theaters does not.

The only other thing I can say about it is that bigger is better. I would want only a very large display because there's a weird immersion issue for me when only a small portion of your field of view is filled with the 3D video. That's why I hope that there'll be 21:9 front projectors that are 3D capable by the time I get my budget together for a dedicated home theater. Then I can see 3D being a great in-home experience.

Having said that - I would still like to see video games and live sports on 3D TVs - they might be really cool.

I didn't see the flicker ( maybe some are more sensitive to it ) though did see some weird effects. The video they showed had animals in a zoo, sporting events ( soccer ) , and ps3 game footage. I liked what I saw there looked really nice especially the ps3 game footage. You got to know onething, the lighting in the store and also the tv settings, who knows what that is set at
post #25 of 39 Old 01-13-2010, 03:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Quote:

...The only other thing I can say about it is that bigger is better. I would want only a very large display because there's a weird immersion issue for me when only a small portion of your field of view is filled with the 3D video. That's why I hope that there'll be 21:9 front projectors that are 3D capable by the time I get my budget together for a dedicated home theater. Then I can see 3D being a great in-home experience.

I agree. For me I would I'd need a projection size image for the immersion factor.
post #26 of 39 Old 01-13-2010, 04:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hmmm

See, this is the type of comment that is scaring me back to buying a 2009 set and waiting for a couple of years for 3d to improve and drop in price. I really want to see it work first hand but there is no Sony store within 500 miles of me.

I am very torn... These tvs won't be out till summer (according to Sony) and I would like to see them before then so I can decide whether to spend that much $$$, or spend half on an xbr9/z5100 from 09. Flickering would irritate me, I'm used to the smoothness of motionflow.
post #27 of 39 Old 01-13-2010, 04:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It's not in the streets of woodfield but in the mall itself ( 3rd floor) that is where I was today with my coworker

Understood, I'll know exactly where to go Saturday morning.
post #28 of 39 Old 01-13-2010, 06:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Quote:

I didn't see the flicker ( maybe some are more sensitive to it )

So, I've heard. It may also have been a problem with the glasses sync. Tough to say. But while the 24fps flicker on my plasma does not bother me (I do see it, but it's not troubling), this would be a definite show-stopper for me (if it's normal behavior).
post #29 of 39 Old 01-13-2010, 07:09 PM
AVS Special Member

It sounds like some of the Sony stores are playing 3D using a PS3 with HDMI 1.3. Another thread mentions that it can only play half resolution with the PS3 and that HDMI 1.4 is needed for full 1920X1080 for each eye. Some stores might be using dedicated hard drive servers to play content---as it was demonstrated at the CES. Those stores are going to have a superior display.
post #30 of 39 Old 01-15-2010, 05:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Anybody else seen this in person?
Reply 3D Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page