I just watched the Panasonic 3D demo on a 103 inch display,, - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 01-29-2010, 03:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Panasonic is currently taking 3D to the road, and this weekend they are in the San Diego (California) area. I just returned from watching a Blu-Ray 3D demo on a prototype 103-inch plasma display. Is this as good as it gets? Read on...

A group of us entered a mobile theater, totally black on the inside. Once the doors were closed it was pitch dark except for the display. Here are my impressions:

1. It works . Definitely a convincing 3D effect. We were advised not to stand too close to the display, so beware of minimum viewing distances at home.

2. The 3D display was much darker with the glasses on than with glasses off. Much darker than a normal display, thus the pitch dark viewing room. Probably will not work well in a bright daytime setting. (Perhaps this is the solution to the blacks becoming gray problem!!)

3. I developed mild head discomfort, like the onset of a headache in the temple region of my head. I experienced instant relief, and a much brighter image, when I removed the glasses.

4. 3D is great for a Warren Miller ski movie, but adds little to a typical movie with people just talking to each other. The 3D effect in the end just becomes a distraction from the movie itself, kind of like surround sound.

Conclusion: This was an interesting experience, however, I will be watching most of my movies in 2D.

DelJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2010, 03:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DelJ View Post

Panasonic is currently taking 3D to the road, and this weekend they are in the San Diego (California) area. I just returned from watching a Blu-Ray 3D demo on a prototype 103-inch plasma display. Is this as good as it gets? Read on...

A group of us entered a mobile theater, totally black on the inside. Once the doors were closed it was pitch dark except for the display. Here are my impressions:

1. It works . Definitely a convincing 3D effect. We were advised not to stand too close to the display, so beware of minimum viewing distances at home.

2. The 3D display was much darker with the glasses on than with glasses off. Much darker than a normal display, thus the pitch dark viewing room. Probably will not work well in a bright daytime setting. (Perhaps this is the solution to the blacks becoming gray problem!!)

3. I developed mild head discomfort, like the onset of a headache in the temple region of my head. I experienced instant relief, and a much brighter image, when I removed the glasses.

4. 3D is great for a Warren Miller ski movie, but adds little to a typical movie with people just talking to each other. The 3D effect in the end just becomes a distraction from the movie itself, kind of like surround sound.

Conclusion: This was an interesting experience, however, I will be watching most of my movies in 2D.

DelJ

I don't find surround sound to be a distraction from the movie I am watching.
Old 01-29-2010, 03:20 PM
Advanced Member

Is that the same display they had at CES? Looked great with the demo they were showing, but I can't imagine how much power that baby sucks up.

Live/PS3: NovembersChopin
Old 01-29-2010, 03:23 PM - Thread Starter

Before you think that I am some Luddite, let explain that I work on advanced engineering software projects for a living.

By a distraction, I mean anything that draws me out of the movie story and makes me think the display or sound equipment instead. A perfect situation is when the movie is so good that I forget that I am at home and what time or day it is. I definitely do not want to thinking about the plasma display while watching the movie. I want to be thinking about the movie.

DelJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by john barlow View Post

I don't find surround sound to be a distraction from the movie I am watching.

Old 01-29-2010, 03:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:

DelJ

.. +1.

can't manage a 103" set, much less an 60" (space limit). besides, shouldn't be their main concern; I can think of probably three (3) items they should be focused on.
Old 01-29-2010, 03:57 PM

With a properly set up good surround sound system, with accurate frequency responce, level, etc... and a good studio mix, you will be more drawn in to the movie.

When multiple people are talking and cars are going by them...do all the sounds come from a single point below the screen?
Old 01-29-2010, 04:16 PM - Thread Starter

I wear headphones for serious movie watching. This solves the "single-point direction" sound problem and provides the best sound quality.

Getting back to the 3D plasma.....

DelJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregmp View Post

With a properly set up good surround sound system, with accurate frequency responce, level, etc... and a good studio mix, you will be more drawn in to the movie.

When multiple people are talking and cars are going by them...do all the sounds come from a single point below the screen?

Old 01-29-2010, 04:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Quote:

Before you think that I am some Luddite, let explain that I work on advanced engineering software projects for a living.

By a distraction, I mean anything that draws me out of the movie story and makes me think the display or sound equipment instead. A perfect situation is when the movie is so good that I forget that I am at home and what time or day it is. I definitely do not want to thinking about the plasma display while watching the movie. I want to be thinking about the movie.

DelJ

That's exactly how I felt when viewing Avatar. The effect kept pulling me out of the movie.

So there was no way to see how dark the screen was with just a little room lighting. My concern is that the deeper black levels only appear in a cave and not a living room.

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, VideoForge HDMI II, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
Old 01-29-2010, 09:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:

The 3D display was much darker with the glasses on than with glasses off. Much darker than a normal display, thus the pitch dark viewing room. Probably will not work well in a bright daytime setting.
DelJ

Not to point out the obvious, but... For this reason at least, home theater presentations of 3-D may favor LCD displays over plasma. Which may explain the higher levels of 3-D skepticism found in the Plasma forum.
Old 01-29-2010, 10:15 PM

Quote:

DelJ

Do you know if there is a schedule out as to where the demos are going to be shown at?
Old 01-29-2010, 10:20 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
As part of 3D week in November 2009 on the UK Channel 4, they showed a 3D documentary, The Queen in 3D. I downloaded this documentary and watched it using the required ColorCode 3-D (cardboard) glasses, the same type used for the movie Monsters vs Aliens and for the Superbowl last year. On my Panasonic plasma TV, there was almost no 3D effect. On an older Olevia LCD and on my LCD computer monitor, the 3-D image showed up clearly. The ColorCode system uses amber and blue lenses, different from earlier anaglyphic 3D glasses which used red and blue-green lenses.

It would be interesting to know the type of 3D glasses Panasonic used with its 3D plasma TV roadshow.
Old 01-30-2010, 12:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

gerry,

These are the shutter glasses that receive an infra red signal to operate.

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, VideoForge HDMI II, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
Old 01-30-2010, 03:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 101
103" plasma.... really. what consumer can afford that.? why not put it on a 50-65....

Panasonic 65" plasma*

Denon 4520* 

PSB T45* PSB B15* PSB C60*

Dual PSA XS30* Dual PSA XS15se*

Squeezbox*

Niles ZR-6 6 Source, 6 room Audio Reciever*

Old 01-30-2010, 10:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:

Panasonic is currently taking 3D to the road, and this weekend they are in the San Diego (California) area.

DelJ - Where is this located? Fry's in SD or San Marcos? I'd like to check it out.
Old 01-30-2010, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury View Post

103" plasma.... really. what consumer can afford that.? why not put it on a 50-65....

I can think of a couple of reasons for the 103".

1.) When showing a demo to a large group. "Bigger" is better.

2.) You always want to show off your "latest", "biggest" and "best" to the public.

For example when I go to a car show I'm not really interested in looking at a "family mini-van." I want to be Wowed!

CD

Reality Based.
Old 01-30-2010, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter

Del Mar fairgrounds. It is a home improvement show.

DelJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandu View Post

DelJ - Where is this located? Fry's in SD or San Marcos? I'd like to check it out.

Old 01-30-2010, 11:38 AM

Quote:

I wear headphones for serious movie watching. This solves the "single-point direction" sound problem and provides the best sound quality.

Getting back to the 3D plasma.....

DelJ

seriously? To each their own but the effects provide by surround sound and the low end impact provided by a quality subwoofer is as important as the picture in my book. No headphones will ever provide that.
Old 01-30-2010, 11:40 AM - Thread Starter

The large display allowed for large groups to view the demo per showing, as we all had to be enclosed in a dark theater.

I was disappointed in that they had nothing to show or say about the new 2010 models.

DelJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury View Post

Old 01-30-2010, 11:51 AM - Thread Starter

I was going to post a response to this, but decided not turn this into an audio discussion. I'll just agree to each their own.

The point of this thread is that high tech gimmickry does not necessarily make for a better movie. I think that most of us would agree that the best course would be to simply make outstanding 2D plasma displays at a lower price.

DelJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVJunkie2010 View Post

seriously? To each their own but the effects provide by surround sound and the low end impact provided by a quality subwoofer is as important as the picture in my book. No headphones will ever provide that.

Old 01-30-2010, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

There's also a simple remedy to balance both concerns - use headphones... AND a subwoofer. This is what I do when I watch with headphones
Old 01-30-2010, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post

That's exactly how I felt when viewing Avatar. The effect kept pulling me out of the movie.

So there was no way to see how dark the screen was with just a little room lighting. My concern is that the deeper black levels only appear in a cave and not a living room.

That just goes to show you how opinions vary. I'm in my mid 40's and was totally old school skeptical towards 3D...Avatar totally changed my opinion. I thought the effect was outstanding and only enhanced the viewing experience.
One thing I'm not sure about is how good the 3D effect will be in the home if your viewing distance is anything more than 1.5 or 2 times the screen size. It definitely isn't a must have when I shop for my next display.
Old 01-30-2010, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVJunkie2010 View Post

Do you know if there is a schedule out as to where the demos are going to be shown at?

You can find it in this site. I think it's in the new panasonic 2010 plasma thread. I saw it yesterday.
Old 02-16-2010, 11:26 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

DelJ

it's "distracting" you because this is a new technology, you went to see this demo not for the movie, but for the 3D effect. It's the same as when you first saw HDTV, you can't believe your eyes in how good the picture quality looked when compared to what you were seeing in the past. I'll bet you are not paying any attention to how good your picture quality is now when watching any HD programming, because it's the norm. This will be the case 3-4 years down the road when most of the new programing coming out will be in 3D.
Old 02-28-2010, 10:17 PM

I visited the Panasonic 3D display set up for the Olympics in Vancouver. It was a 15 minute show on the 103" display. No movie footage was shown, but rather 3D footage from the Beijing 2008 Olympics and Vancouver 2010 Olympics. There were also several scenes shot on the streets of our city.

I must say that I was very impressed with what I saw. When HD first arrived I would have said it was like "being there". But this definitely made me feel like I was sitting in the venue or standing on the corner. I am excited to see where this technology goes. Although I will say that size will definitely matter with this technology. I just do not see the same 'wow' effect coming from the average 40" display.
Old 02-28-2010, 10:42 PM

Liked: 44
The Panasonic 3D Truck Tour - March 1 to March 7

http://www.panasonic.com/3d/experience-3d.aspx
Old 02-28-2010, 10:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Lee,

You may not have seen the earlier post but someone said that the technology used in the set on that truck tour isn't the same as what will be in the sets are are actually released.

As much as I'd like to fire up the jet and go see it, there not much point in it.

Old 02-28-2010, 11:18 PM

Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post

Lee,

You may not have seen the earlier post but someone said that the technology used in the set on that truck tour isn't the same as what will be in the sets are are actually released.

As much as I'd like to fire up the jet and go see it, there not much point in it.

Can you link the post you are referring to. I would like to see it.

It was to my understanding that they are the same - 120 Hz/60 per eye using the Frame Sequential 3D format to provide Full HD per eye with ASGs.

Both use the special fast decay phosphors that Panasonic will use for the VT25 series of 3DTVs