checkerboard samsung and mitz dlps - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 03-02-2010, 08:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
can someone who is more knowledgeable about our 3d ready sets start a post where we can go for updates of future products which become available such as bueray players and glasses and other info concerning these sets.thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2010, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Basically, we're waiting on Mits to release their converter.

Currently testing 3D with Sammy DLP, shutter glasses, and HTPC
Old 03-02-2010, 08:41 AM

Liked: 44
Mitsubishi's projection HDTVs get an adapter to deal with Blu-ray 3D

http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/05/m...l-with-blu-ra/
Old 03-02-2010, 08:42 AM - Thread Starter

thanks for info i emailed samsung got no reply.just would like to use the 3d side of this tv.seems information is pretty sparse when it comes to blueray and playstation 3 working with these sets.thanks again
Old 03-02-2010, 08:50 AM - Thread Starter

you would think texas instruments would be getting into supporting their checkerboard dlp format with some kind of converter or blueray player
Old 03-02-2010, 09:09 AM

Quote:

Thanks for info i emailed samsung got no reply.just would like to use the 3d side of this tv.seems information is pretty sparse when it comes to blueray and playstation 3 working with these sets.thanks again

Samsung didn't announce a converter box for 3D BD. There is an opinion that the Mits converter box will work on the Samsungs because they use the same tech. Won't know if that is the case until the box arrives and people get a chance to test it on a Samsung.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knobby View Post

you would think texas instruments would be getting into supporting their checkerboard dlp format with some kind of converter or blueray player

They probably feel it is the responsibility of the TV manufacturer to support their own TV when it comes to attaching a 3D BD player. They invented the DLP tech and they also invented the DLP Link 3D tech to go with it.

TI is a semiconductor designer/manufacturer.
Old 03-02-2010, 09:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Since Samsung stopped all manufacturing of DLP HDTVs over a year ago I do not think they are going to now offer any new features or attachments to them. IMHO the adapter that Mits plans to offer to convert 3D BR player ouutput to checkerboad format should work fine on the Samsungs since they both accepted exactly the same input from any PC sending them checkerboard content. We will just have to wait till someone tries it to find out for sure.
Old 03-02-2010, 10:29 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by walford View Post

Since Samsung stopped all manufacturing of DLP HDTVs over a year ago I do not think they are going to now offer any new features or attachments to them. IMHO the adapter that Mits plans to offer to convert 3D BR player ouutput to checkerboad format should work fine on the Samsungs since they both accepted exactly the same input from any PC sending them checkerboard content. We will just have to wait till someone tries it to find out for sure.

you would think samsung would at least offer something for us who believed they would support their 3d ready dlps with at least blue ray player which would support their checkerboard format.it remains to be seen if they do or not.if not why would i support them with my next tv or blue ray or cell phone or washer purchase?
Old 03-02-2010, 10:49 AM

Quote:

you would think samsung would at least offer something for us who believed they would support their 3d ready dlps with at least blue ray player which would support their checkerboard format.it remains to be seen if they do or not.if not why would i support them with my next tv or blue ray or cell phone or washer purchase?

When you bought your Samsung HDTV, what was the driving factor?

Was it that is was 3D Ready? Or was it that you wanted a large screen 1080P HDTV that was priced at a point you were willing to pay?
Old 03-02-2010, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post

When you bought your Samsung HDTV, what was the driving factor?

Was it that is was 3D Ready? Or was it that you wanted a large screen 1080P HDTV that was priced at a point you were willing to pay?

driving point was it was 3d ready saw samsung promotion about these sets doing 3d which was reason for purchase.gave my other dlp to my boy which still works excellent and bought 3d ready one.i always purchased samsung products.
Old 03-02-2010, 01:11 PM

Quote:

driving point was it was 3d ready saw samsung promotion about these sets doing 3d which was reason for purchase.gave my other dlp to my boy which still works excellent and bought 3d ready one.i always purchased samsung products.

So how much 3D have you been watching on your Sam. HDTV? You can do that today right?
Old 03-02-2010, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter

still waiting for the blue ray players etc. to materialize. havent used it at all for 3d.everyone kept saying wait until samsung comes out with more support like a blue ray player or playstation comes out with their upgrade and glasses will work with more products.boy did that turn out to be wrong.anyways i bought the set with hopes of a lot more support.fool me once shame on you fool me twice you know the rest.i will just turn to a manufacturer who will be loyal to there customers.the longer i owned this set it seems the less support samsung has provided.
Old 03-02-2010, 07:35 PM
AVS Special Member

More than likely it'll work, just wait for Mits to release their converter. I seriously doubt Mits will only make their converter work for their own displays, when they'll have potential customers from Samsung owners. That just wouldn't make any business sense in the least.

Old 03-02-2010, 07:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by taz291819 View Post

More than likely it'll work, just wait for Mits to release their converter. I seriously doubt Mits will only make their converter work for their own displays, when they'll have potential customers from Samsung owners. That just wouldn't make any business sense in the least.

it would be interesting to know how many 3d ready dlps from samsung and mitz are out there.there must be quite a few future customers to buy their 3d products when they become available.
Old 03-03-2010, 12:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 170
If you rear-projection DLP guys think you have it bad, just look at us Samsung plasma owners. Samsung had a "3D Ready" plasma that they were selling for a couple of years. Both 50 incher and 42 incher. These plasmas use checkerboard for the 3D, so you might think there is some hope in terms of Mitsubishi's adapter, but chances are it won't work with the plasmas. Why?

Well, Samsung engineers in their brilliance decided to only allow the plasmas 3D mode to be activated if the display is receiving a 1360 x 768 or 1024 x 768 resolution. Those are the only two resolutions that work. Anything else, and the 3D option is grayed out, and can't be selected. I'm thinking my only hope of being able to watch a 3D Blu Ray on my plasma, is if 3D Blu Ray players come out for the PC, and can somehow support checkerboard, and I can get the resolution set to 1360 x 768.
Old 03-03-2010, 12:28 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm actually shocked that Mitsubishi is even making an adapter. You guys bought these "3D" TVs before the standards were set. From the Mitsubishi website it appears that the only 3D these TVs were intended for is gaming using a Windows PC with a nvidia card. I'm guessing that NOWHERE in the Mitsubishi or the Samsung manuals is there any mention of 3D Blu-ray or 3D satellite. Perhaps the sales people told you that the sets would work with any future 3D source, but if it's not in writing anywhere, then you'll be lucky to get an adapter. Don't get me wrong---I think it's great that Mitsubishi is following through and taking care of the current owners. If every company did that, then we wouldn't have to be so skeptical about what sales people tell us.
Old 03-03-2010, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fire407 View Post

I'm actually shocked that Mitsubishi is even making an adapter. You guys bought these "3D" TVs before the standards were set. From the Mitsubishi website it appears that the only 3D these TVs were intended for is gaming using a Windows PC with a nvidia card. I'm guessing that NOWHERE in the Mitsubishi or the Samsung manuals is there any mention of 3D Blu-ray or 3D satellite. Perhaps the sales people told you that the sets would work with any future 3D source, but if it's not in writing anywhere, then you'll be lucky to get an adapter. Don't get me wrong---I think it's great that Mitsubishi is following through and taking care of the current owners. If every company did that, then we wouldn't have to be so skeptical about what sales people tell us.

3D BD and/or 3D TV isn't listed in the manual because there was no such thing back then. Also, there still isn't a single standard even today. There is a standard for distribution (for 3D BD), but there isn't a standard for the display method.

I'm not sure why the HDMI group decided to leave out the TI checkerboard method, because they could have just as easily have included it.

And other manufacturers make the converters also, albeit more expensive than the rumored Mits price.

Old 03-03-2010, 09:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

3D BD and/or 3D TV isn't listed in the manual because there was no such thing back then. Also, there still isn't a single standard even today. There is a standard for distribution (for 3D BD), but there isn't a standard for the display method.

I'm not sure why the HDMI group decided to leave out the TI checkerboard method, because they could have just as easily have included it.

And other manufacturers make the converters also, albeit more expensive than the rumored Mits price.

isn't it amazing how these companies don't mention these details when they as much as say how future proof these sets were to be when they said 3d ready.just be careful when buying these new 3d sets as you to might be taken in also.i am going to wait for at least a year before venturing into this 3d mess.
Old 03-03-2010, 03:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

isn't it amazing how these companies don't mention these details when they as much as say how future proof these sets were to be when they said 3d ready.just be careful when buying these new 3d sets as you to might be taken in also.i am going to wait for at least a year before venturing into this 3d mess.

I already have one. I didn't buy it specifically for 3D, but so far, it works great. If it works with the Mits converter, even better.

Old 03-03-2010, 03:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I already have one. I didn't buy it specifically for 3D, but so far, it works great. If it works with the Mits converter, even better.

glad to hear you are using it for 3d.hope to enjoy mine too when mits converter becomes available.your starting to build up my confidence towards future 3d enjoyment.here is hoping we get the support needed.
Old 03-03-2010, 03:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It's not going to be anything close to as risky for the new technology as it was for you buying before there were any standards. I'm positive that a Samsung 3D Blu-ray player will work with a Samsung 3D TV, and a Panasonic Blu-ray player will work with a Panasonic TV---THERE IS NO RISK AT ALL WITH THESE SCENARIOS. Will a Samsung Blu-ray player work with a Panasonic TV? I'm thinking that they will because the BDA has agreed to a standard, but we won't know for sure until someone tests it and reports here. Also, even though 3D Blu-ray and 3D satellite weren't available when you bought your sets, you must have automatically concluded that the sets would work with those technologies---otherwise you would be relegated to 3D gaming. Again, feel good that Mitsubishi is following through on what I feel was a vague promise. Samsung, Sony, Panasonic, and others have it in writing that their technology will work with 3D Blu-ray and DirecTV.
Old 03-03-2010, 08:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

glad to hear you are using it for 3d.hope to enjoy mine too when mits converter becomes available.your starting to build up my confidence towards future 3d enjoyment.here is hoping we get the support needed.

If all else fails (meaning the Mits converter doesn't work with Sammys), you fall back to a HTPC. The software BD players will be able to convert to checkerboard without any problems.

Old 03-03-2010, 08:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 37
USA Today has an article about 3D TV.

One item of interest there:
Quote:

Mitsubishi today brings to market $129 XpanD 3D glasses that will turn many of its existing televisions into 3D sets. The TVs include models sold during the past two years that were marked "3D-ready."

Dave Hancock
Old 03-04-2010, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fire407 View Post

It's not going to be anything close to as risky for the new technology as it was for you buying before there were any standards. I'm positive that a Samsung 3D Blu-ray player will work with a Samsung 3D TV, and a Panasonic Blu-ray player will work with a Panasonic TV---THERE IS NO RISK AT ALL WITH THESE SCENARIOS. Will a Samsung Blu-ray player work with a Panasonic TV? I'm thinking that they will because the BDA has agreed to a standard, but we won't know for sure until someone tests it and reports here. Also, even though 3D Blu-ray and 3D satellite weren't available when you bought your sets, you must have automatically concluded that the sets would work with those technologies---otherwise you would be relegated to 3D gaming. Again, feel good that Mitsubishi is following through on what I feel was a vague promise. Samsung, Sony, Panasonic, and others have it in writing that their technology will work with 3D Blu-ray and DirecTV.

When you say THERE IS NO RISK AT ALL WITH THESE SCENARIOS, you are completely wrong. A Samsung Blu-ray player that was sold will not necessarily output checkerboard 3D to work with a 3D Samsung TV. Samsung's Blu-ray players will most likely conform to the spec which doesn't necessarily mean the checkerboard output that a Samsung DLP will need. However, it will probably work with their new 3D LED sets, but that doesn't mean all Samsung TV's. This situation is similar to that with HDCP where you can buy a 1080P Sony TV and a 1080P Sony Blu-ray player, but not be allowed to output and watch 1080P Blu-rays due to HDCP. So just because the brands match, don't assume that everything will work no matter what.

Luckily for me and my 3D Mitsubishi, I own a Playstation 3 as my blu-ray player, which will support checkerboard 3D as an output mode once it receives the 3D update later this year. At least, that's the current word from Sony, as long as they don't change their minds. But, even currently, you can buy Avatar for PS3 and play it with a Mits or Sammy 3D DLP in (checkerboard) 3D, so it already supports these TV's right now.

knobby, no need to fret. You haven't been 'taken in', but I will remind you that Samsung stop manufacturing DLPs at least a year ago, now. So you won't get much in the way of support from them. However, you will be able to watch 3D movies on your DLP TV. The only hangup might be if you already have a blu-ray player, which will depend on if the manufacturer releases a firmware upgrade that allows it to output 3D. If it does, then you will be fine, unless it doesn't support checkerboard, in which case you would need the adapter that Mits and other companies are making to convert the 3D into checkerboard 3D format. Of course, you will need glasses, but those are getting cheaper every day and soon, with mass production, will be quite cheap, indeed. Also, as I mentioned the PS3 supports checkerboard, and Sony has stated that it will after the upgrade, so if you want a blu-ray player that will be sure to work, buy a HTPC with a blu-ray drive or a PS3. I haven't heard anything from any other manufacturers about issuing firmware upgrades for their older blu-ray players... to me it seems like they might not do that because they can make more money if they have to sell you a new player instead of adding features to an older one. Sony, however, has a huge interest in selling 3D video games, so the upgrade will be coming, and the more TV's they can support, the more video games and blu-rays they can sell.

Hope that helps, I've done a lot of reading on the subject (before I bought my 3D set and after) to make sure that I would be able to view 3D movies and video games, and was one of the reasons that I bought the TV that I did.

This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
Old 03-04-2010, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davehancock View Post

USA Today has an article about 3D TV.

One item of interest there:

Thanks for the link! The picture they use on that article is a picture off of the Mits web site for the current line of TV's, which is what I bought, heh.
Here's the engadget article for the PS3 firmware: http://www.engadget.com/2010/02/10/p...e-this-summer/

This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
Old 03-04-2010, 06:12 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny.death View Post

When you say THERE IS NO RISK AT ALL WITH THESE SCENARIOS, you are completely wrong. A Samsung Blu-ray player that was sold will not necessarily output checkerboard 3D to work with a 3D Samsung TV. Samsung's Blu-ray players will most likely conform to the spec which doesn't necessarily mean the checkerboard output that a Samsung DLP will need. However, it will probably work with their new 3D LED sets, but that doesn't mean all Samsung TV's. This situation is similar to that with HDCP where you can buy a 1080P Sony TV and a 1080P Sony Blu-ray player, but not be allowed to output and watch 1080P Blu-rays due to HDCP. So just because the brands match, don't assume that everything will work no matter what.

Luckily for me and my 3D Mitsubishi, I own a Playstation 3 as my blu-ray player, which will support checkerboard 3D as an output mode once it receives the 3D update later this year. At least, that's the current word from Sony, as long as they don't change their minds. But, even currently, you can buy Avatar for PS3 and play it with a Mits or Sammy 3D DLP in (checkerboard) 3D, so it already supports these TV's right now.

knobby, no need to fret. You haven't been 'taken in', but I will remind you that Samsung stop manufacturing DLPs at least a year ago, now. So you won't get much in the way of support from them. However, you will be able to watch 3D movies on your DLP TV. The only hangup might be if you already have a blu-ray player, which will depend on if the manufacturer releases a firmware upgrade that allows it to output 3D. If it does, then you will be fine, unless it doesn't support checkerboard, in which case you would need the adapter that Mits and other companies are making to convert the 3D into checkerboard 3D format. Of course, you will need glasses, but those are getting cheaper every day and soon, with mass production, will be quite cheap, indeed. Also, as I mentioned the PS3 supports checkerboard, and Sony has stated that it will after the upgrade, so if you want a blu-ray player that will be sure to work, buy a HTPC with a blu-ray drive or a PS3. I haven't heard anything from any other manufacturers about issuing firmware upgrades for their older blu-ray players... to me it seems like they might not do that because they can make more money if they have to sell you a new player instead of adding features to an older one. Sony, however, has a huge interest in selling 3D video games, so the upgrade will be coming, and the more TV's they can support, the more video games and blu-rays they can sell.

Hope that helps, I've done a lot of reading on the subject (before I bought my 3D set and after) to make sure that I would be able to view 3D movies and video games, and was one of the reasons that I bought the TV that I did.

thanks about info about ps3.have one connected to tv right now.good to hear they are going to support checkerboard.i had thought they weren't supporting our checkerboard format.it sounds good also about about the price of glasses falling. things are really looking good.me and my family can"t wait.
Old 03-04-2010, 06:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny.death View Post

Thanks for the link! The picture they use on that article is a picture off of the Mits web site for the current line of TV's, which is what I bought, heh.
Here's the engadget article for the PS3 firmware: http://www.engadget.com/2010/02/10/p...e-this-summer/

That link says nothing about the PS3 outputting checkerboard - perhaps it is somewhere deep in the nested links?

Dave Hancock
Old 03-04-2010, 07:24 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by davehancock View Post

That link says nothing about the PS3 outputting checkerboard - perhaps it is somewhere deep in the nested links?

well here we go again.now my hopes about ps3 doing checkerboard are headed downhill.i guess we will know with update.it is funny that sony 3d blueray players are becoming available but no one knows if they purchase one if they will work with these 3d dlps until they give us the 3d update.whats wrong with that crazy marketing idea.why don't they just address the dlp checkerboard question with a simple answer so we know if they will work or not.
Old 03-04-2010, 09:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Note from the following link HDMI 1.4 suppport and chips are required by both the sending 3d Blu-ray player and by the receiving display/TV in order to watch Full HD 3D as is recorded using the 3D blu-ray standard.

http://hdguru.com/3d-hdtv-and-hdmi-explained/1336/

I assume that the Mitsusbishi adapter wiill meet this standard and will accept FHD3D from a 3d Blu-ray player and convert it to Checkerboard.
Also hoprfully PC software will be developed to convert the content from 3D BluRay disks to checkerboard as well as to the format descibred in the link above so that it can be output to a new 3D TV using a graphics card with an HDMI1.4 interface.
Old 03-04-2010, 02:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, I haven't read anything that states Sony is going to include the TI checkerboard method for 3D BD playback.

In regards to the Avatar game, all of the 3D methods are built into the game itself, it has nothing to do with the PS3. The PC and Xbox360 versions of the same have it also. The game itself is rendering the frames in the checkerboard method.

Johnny, if you have a link that states Sony is including this particular method, we'd all appreciate it.