Update: Mits 3DC-1000 3D Converter Box Will NOT Work on Samsung DLPs! - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 338 Old 04-28-2010, 11:01 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Thanks John. Looks like i will have to invest in either a new 3D bluray player will dual HDMI output like the Panny you mentioned or a new AVR. *sigh* Sounds like I would need a new AVR anyway to watch the 3D D* channels unless I want to start running even more cables. A new AVR seems to be the easiest, albeit not the cheapest solution.

How many 3D blurays are on the market currently? D* is launching their ESPN 3D channel in June I think. I guess I will consider a new AVR once more content is available.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 338 Old 04-28-2010, 11:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
If you are currently able to watch ESPN-HD channels being routed through your AVR there should be no change if watching ESPN-3D since Side-by-Side format will be used and not 2 frame per packed buffer for 3D like the new 3D BR players use.
I am not aware of anyone reporting a problem watching the Masters when receiving SbS 3d format over the internet and haveing it routed through a AVR to their 3D TV.
post #183 of 338 Old 04-28-2010, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by walford View Post

I don't think any kind of HDMI splitter/switch/distribution amp will help unless it will specifically allow you not to send video over one of it's outputs.

I am hopefull that Monoprice or another company will come out with a product that does just that. This is going to be a problem for a lot of people. I am also hopefull that the Blu-ray player manufacturers will come out with a FW update to allow the 3D to be outputted automatically unless specified otherwise. This would seem like an easy fix unless I am missing something.

Here is a post from Monoprice concerning their current HDMI 1.3 cables:

Conclusion
Fact is, most of the HDMI 1.3 cables Monoprice currently sells will already support many of these new features like 3D over HDMI, 4K x 2K and additional color spaces. However, we will soon be carrying newer cables that will be certified to support the other features which promise to raise the bar in terms of performance while maintaining the unmatched value that Monoprice has always delivered. And as always, we'll stand behind our cables with a lifetime warranty.
post #184 of 338 Old 04-28-2010, 01:32 PM

Quote:

John,
Apparenly you were unable to tell the 6900 to output in 3D mode instead of in 2D mode is that correct?

That is correct, the 3D option was totally unavailable. (unless you wanted to "upconvert" 2D to 3D...bleh!)
post #185 of 338 Old 04-28-2010, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvis Is Alive View Post

Thanks John. Looks like i will have to invest in either a new 3D bluray player will dual HDMI output like the Panny you mentioned or a new AVR. *sigh* Sounds like I would need a new AVR anyway to watch the 3D D* channels unless I want to start running even more cables. A new AVR seems to be the easiest, albeit not the cheapest solution.

How many 3D blurays are on the market currently? D* is launching their ESPN 3D channel in June I think. I guess I will consider a new AVR once more content is available.

Actually you will NOT have to upgrade your AVR to receive 3D from ESPN or any other cable or satellite signal. They are broadcasting a different (and lower resolution) image than Blu-Ray.

There are CURRENTLY no Blu-Ray movies available at retail. You can get "Monsters Vs. Aliens" in the Samsung "Starter Kit" that comes with the movie and 2 pairs of glasses (non-rechargable). I tried to buy a couple of movies that were "IMAX 3D", Nascar and Under the Sea...both were standard 2d movies (originally shown in IMAX 3D theatrically). My Bloody Valentine was Anaglyph (red/blue) 3D (bleh!).

However, the good news is that Sony Pictures has announced that they will be releasing 30 to 40 (!) movies by the holiday season in 3D! I am sure the other studios will be releasing at LEAST a few movies each, so we should be in good shape content wise in just a few months. Patience....

P.S. Onkyo has HDMI 1.4 AVRs currently on sale starting at about $300 (or less!)
post #186 of 338 Old 04-28-2010, 01:46 PM

Quote:

I don't think any kind of HDMI splitter/switch/distribution amp will help unless it will specifically allow you not to send video over one of it's outputs.

The problem with HDMI splitters is the same with HDMI AVRs...the EDID information tells the Blu-Ray player what features are supported, if it handshakes with a HDMI 1.3 component in the chain, it will not support 3D (for Blu-Ray...TV 3D content works just fine over HDMI 1.3). You have to have EVERY component in the chain be HDMI 1.4 in order for the Blu-Ray player to pass the 3D signal to the TV.

HDMI CABLES, however, are a different story. My experience has been that "high-speed" rated HDMI 1.3 cables work just fine passing the 3D signal, however, 1.4a features like the audio return channel and ethernet over HDMI will probably not work unless you are using a 1.4 cable.
post #187 of 338 Old 04-28-2010, 01:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_nemesh View Post

However, the good news is that Sony Pictures has announced that they will be releasing 30 to 40 (!) movies by the holiday season in 3D! I am sure the other studios will be releasing at LEAST a few movies each, so we should be in good shape content wise in just a few months. Patience....

Do you have a link for this?
post #188 of 338 Old 04-28-2010, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That is correct, the 3D option was totally unavailable. (unless you wanted to "upconvert" 2D to 3D...bleh!)

If the Blu-ray manufactures did a FW update to allow us to tell the player to output the 3D format then wouldn't this solve the problem of the A/V Receiver making the Blu-ray player believe that it was incapable of accepting the 3D Format? If that was the case and your A/V Receiver could accept the video bandwidth then the 3D Format would be passed on to the 3D display. Any thoughts?
post #189 of 338 Old 04-28-2010, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deArgila View Post

Do you have a link for this?

I read it on engadget.com, relating to the launch of their new 3D sets in June and plans for the 3D upgrades for the PS3...however, engadget's seach function pretty much SUCKS and half of the links I try to find the press release at Sony are blocked by my overzealous corporate IT department. Sorry.
post #190 of 338 Old 04-28-2010, 02:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I read it on engadget.com, relating to the launch of their new 3D sets in June and plans for the 3D upgrades for the PS3...however, engadget's seach function pretty much SUCKS and half of the links I try to find the press release at Sony are blocked by my overzealous corporate IT department. Sorry.

Do you happen to remember what the article was about?

I did a quick search and the only thing I could find was the announcement dated Jan 7, 2010 for Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs and it said "details and other titles are promised this Spring."
post #191 of 338 Old 04-28-2010, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deArgila View Post

Do you happen to remember what the article was about?

I did a quick search and the only thing I could find was the announcement dated Jan 7, 2010 for Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs and it said "details and other titles are promised this Spring."

It was related to their overall 3D strategy for 2010. I THINK I came across it looking for info on the PS3s 3D upgrade.
post #192 of 338 Old 04-28-2010, 03:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:

I have a Samsung 67A750 LED DLP. I understand I can purchase the Mits converter and the DLP-Link glasses to enjoy a 3D source (broadcast 3D channel, 3D blu-ray, etc).

Here is my question. Do I need an HDMI 1.4 AVR? I currently own an Onkyo 875 (HDMI 1.3) that I run all my components thru. If I have to upgrade my AVR, 3D is a no go for me.

I emailed Onkyo on March 16th about my TX-SR805, and it's a no-go for passing 3D

Quote:

Thank You for contacting Onkyo USA Product Support.

We apologize for the delay in responding to your email. We are experiencing a heavy volume of inquiries. We appreciate your patience and understanding.
This unit will not pass a 3D image.

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb

post #193 of 338 Old 04-28-2010, 03:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augerhandle View Post

I emailed Onkyo on March 16th about my TX-SR805, and it's a no-go for passing 3D

I have the same A/V Receiver that you do. I am hoping that Onkyo wants to sell us a new receiver and our A/V Receivers will pass the image. I guess time will tell.
post #194 of 338 Old 04-29-2010, 06:44 AM

I'm wondering how this will affect those of us with legacy Mitsubishi TV's like my WD-73C9 that have to be set to 3d mode manually and are HDMI 1.3? Will the Samsung BDC-6900 even work for 3d in that case?

Quote:

post #195 of 338 Old 04-29-2010, 09:22 AM

Interesting. Here is a post from over at bluraydotcom from a thread in the rear pro forum:

"I have Samsung DLP LED television, on Onkyo receiver that is not HDMI 1.4 and the new Panasonic BDT300 and it runs through the receiver to my television in checkerboard mode and there are no audio or video problems. The disc plays just fine. The television info shows full 1080p. Mind you, this is only the demo 3D disc that came with the player since there are no other movies for me to try without paying $349.99 to get glasses that I do not need and the Monsters VS Aliens movie."

He is using the Xpand 102 glasses.
post #196 of 338 Old 04-29-2010, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

Interesting. Here is a post from over at bluraydotcom from a thread in the rear pro forum:

"I have Samsung DLP LED television, on Onkyo receiver that is not HDMI 1.4 and the new Panasonic BDT300 and it runs through the receiver to my television in checkerboard mode and there are no audio or video problems. The disc plays just fine. The television info shows full 1080p. Mind you, this is only the demo 3D disc that came with the player since there are no other movies for me to try without paying $349.99 to get glasses that I do not need and the Monsters VS Aliens movie."

He is using the Xpand 102 glasses.

Thank you for this information as it sounds like we will be good to go. I own a Samsung 61 inch DLP LED TV, an Onkyo TX-SR805 A/V Receiver, a PS3, and a DirecTv HR20-700. It sounds like as a worst case scenario I would need to position the Mitsibishi Converter before it enters the A/V Receiver and possibly buy an HDMI switcher since I will using both my PS3 and DirecTv receiver to output a 3D signal. Could you please post a link to the article or copy and paste it on this thread so others could read it. If I remember correctly, you own similar equipment so this is great news for us.
post #197 of 338 Old 04-29-2010, 10:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Wow that is great news. No need for a new receiver.
post #198 of 338 Old 04-29-2010, 11:17 AM

Im keeping my fingers crossed. Worst case is we can buy the glasses and converter and enjoy the 3D channels. His post has me hopeful for 3D bluray without a new AVR. Time will tell.

Tigers - We have very similar setup. I have 67" Sammy LED DLP, Onkyo 875, PS3 ,and D* HR20-700
post #199 of 338 Old 04-29-2010, 11:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Im keeping my fingers crossed. Worst case is we can buy the glasses and converter and enjoy the 3D channels. His post has me hopeful for 3D bluray without a new AVR. Time will tell.

Tigers - We have very similar setup. I have 67" Sammy LED DLP, Onkyo 875, PS3 ,and D* HR20-700

Elvis - Would you mind posting a link to the article. Our setups are almost identical except you have a nicer A/V Receiver and the larger HDTV. I wanted to get the 67 " but the 61" was the largest that would fit in my entertainment armoire. I have been very happy with my Samsung LED DLP. I own two sets of the Samsung 3D glasses that were made for our sets so I am just waiting for our equipment to be updated to 3D. Have you been happy with your HDTV?
post #200 of 338 Old 04-29-2010, 02:29 PM

I also have a samsung hl61A750 and the brand new panasonic 350 player. I have an onkyo txsr803 and it passes the checkerboard video no problem at 1080p. Now for some movies. The demo disk gets boring
post #201 of 338 Old 04-29-2010, 02:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by golferbradbest View Post

I also have a samsung hl61A750 and the brand new panasonic 350 player. I have an onkyo txsr803 and it passes the checkerboard video no problem at 1080p. Now for some movies. The demo disk gets boring

Good to hear. I just hope the PS3 gets a 3D Checkerboard update so I can save some money.
post #202 of 338 Old 04-29-2010, 02:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:

Does the Onkyo overlay a GUI onto the 3D image, or does it just pass the signal through? I'm curious how an AVR that overlays its GUI on top of an incoming 3D signal looks.

Joe Clark

post #203 of 338 Old 04-29-2010, 05:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Here are a couple of interesting posts:

I have Samsung DLP LED television, on Onkyo receiver that is not HDMI 1.4 and the new Panasonic BDT300 and it runs through the receiver to my television in checkerboard mode and there are no audio or video problems. The disc plays just fine. The television info shows full 1080p. Mind you, this is only the demo 3D disc that came with the player since there are no other movies for me to try without paying $349.99 to get glasses that I do not need and the Monsters VS Aliens movie.

How much resolution would you say you lose I'm
practice compared to the 2d? All reprts I've read is that it's pretty minor

I would say marginal at best. It looks just as good in 3d as it does in 2d, with the exception of light output. Colors look good, black levels take a hit but still acceptable, detail is very good. The 3d effect is good to excellent. On the Panasonic disc there is a Coral Reef video with hundreds of fish swimming and it is crazy to the point where it looks like the fish are actually tangible as if they were swimming in your living room. Great stuff. I really hope this goes well as this is great tech and adds yet another feature to your home entertainment.

I also wanted to point this out. On my setup I have the Samsung DLP, the Panasonic 3d player, and a Sony soundbar with HDMI 1.3. I ran the HDMI video out into my soundbar and out the soundbar to the tv. I was able to watch 3d and have audio without using the seperate HDMI out. It has to be that checkerboard isn't as big of a stream than frame packed. Oh well, at least the option is there if I get another display.

Cheers

http://forum.blu-ray.com/rear-projec...-question.html

All of this information sounds very hopeful to me.
post #204 of 338 Old 04-29-2010, 05:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

The key here is checkerboard format.
With 1080p 3D checkerboard format there are 1080 rows of content and each row contains 960 pixels of content for the left eye(" the red checkers") and 960 pixels of content for the right eye(" the black checkers). The system then converts them to separate 1920x1080 frames by inventing the content of the additional pixels required to do so.
post #205 of 338 Old 04-30-2010, 06:23 AM

Geaux beat me to the direct link.

Total non-informed speculation: Perhaps HDMI 1.3 can pass the checkerboard format since it is half resolution, using less bandwidth?

Geaux - I have been extremely pleased with my Sammy. I still own a LCOS set, Sony XBR2 60" that is still going strong (no optical block issues yet) and a Sony 52" LCD (V5100) All my equipment is listed in my signature in the thread you linked over at bluray.com
post #206 of 338 Old 04-30-2010, 04:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Geaux beat me to the direct link.

Total non-informed speculation: Perhaps HDMI 1.3 can pass the checkerboard format since it is half resolution, using less bandwidth?

Geaux - I have been extremely pleased with my Sammy. I still own a LCOS set, Sony XBR2 60" that is still going strong (no optical block issues yet) and a Sony 52" LCD (V5100) All my equipment is listed in my signature in the thread you linked over at bluray.com

My speculation is that our A/V receivers could pass the demands of the the full bandwidth 3D signal as long as the 3D signal could be forced out as a 3D signal from the video source. From another poster it sounded like the problem was that his Samsung 3D Blu-ray player thought that his A/V receiver could not handle the signal since it was HDMI 1.3. A forced setting by the video source for 3D I believe would eliminate this problem. I do not know if this is currently possible with the Panasonic 3D players. If someone owns or has access to the Panasonic 3D player then please let us know if there is a forced 3D setting.

I hope this is the case since this would allow us to put the device between the A/V receiver and our HDTV's. Otherwise I believe we will have to buy an HDMI switch since we will be using both our DirecTv receiver and PS3 for 3D. The HDMI switch would then be connected to the Mitsibushi Checkerboard 3D Conversion Box which would then be connected to an HDMI input on our A/V recievers.
post #207 of 338 Old 04-30-2010, 05:02 PM
AVS Special Member

I posted this question on another thread and recieved the following response:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geaux Tigers
Can the 3D Format be forced out as the preferred video or does the player attempt to automatically determine if your video source is 3D. Apparently there is no forced 3D video setting on the Samsung 3D Blu-ray players and this causes some problems when trying to output the video through a A/V receiver that is HDMI 1.3 even though your HDTV is 3D. The Samsung 3D blu-ray player automatically switches back to 2D. If anyone has used this player with an HDMI 1.3 A/V Receiver then please post your findings.

Originally posted by theBat68
I have an Onkyo receiver that is HDMI 1.3 and I keep the Panasonic BDT300 set on 3D and I have no issues with audio nor video.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1242502

From this information, I believe we will be good to go using our HDMI 1.3 A/V Receivers as long as the video device can be set to force the 3D signal.
post #208 of 338 Old 04-30-2010, 05:26 PM

my onkyo tx-sr803 isnt even hdmi 1.3. Its like hdmi 1.1 or 1.2. It looks the same passed through the receiver as it does plugged directly into the hdmi input on the samsung hl61a750 and it definititely looks high def.
post #209 of 338 Old 05-01-2010, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

my onkyo tx-sr803 isnt even hdmi 1.3. Its like hdmi 1.1 or 1.2. It looks the same passed through the receiver as it does plugged directly into the hdmi input on the samsung hl61a750 and it definititely looks high def.

Thanks for the information. I own the same HDTV. Can you set the Panasonic to output the normal non Checkerboard 3D Format and tell us if the Panasonic continues to output the signal. Another user reported that his Samsung 3D player automatically switched to 2D. I know our Samsung LED DLP HDTVs can not handle the format but I am trying to determine if our A/V Receivers can pass the signal on to a video source. If I did not own a PS3 then the Panasonic definitely sounds like the best 3D Blu-ray player to purchase. I hope Sony gives the PS3 the 3D Checkerboard option as well.
post #210 of 338 Old 05-01-2010, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

I started a poll on whether or not Sony should include the 3D Checkerboard Format as an option on its upcoming PS3 3D update. I am hoping that Sony will read the poll and give the consumer what it wants. This is a link to the poll:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1246638
Reply 3D Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page