Update: Mits 3DC-1000 3D Converter Box Will NOT Work on Samsung DLPs! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 338 Old 03-08-2010, 07:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Moderators Note: Please see posts from 5/6/10 for the latest update.

From the HDGuru:

http://hdguru.com/legacy-samsung-3d-...-directv/1386/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 338 Old 03-08-2010, 07:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 258
Well that's some good news. Seems like a lot of manufacturers are falling behind on the anticipation for the 3D wave coming.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #3 of 338 Old 03-08-2010, 08:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Glad that it's finally confirmed.

Currently testing 3D with Sammy DLP, shutter glasses, and HTPC
post #4 of 338 Old 03-08-2010, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 52
The article claims that the converter works for old 3D-ready plasmas, as well as DLP. That's good news for me, if it's true, since I have two Samsung 3D-ready plasmas. I'm skeptical.

Greg Lee
post #5 of 338 Old 03-08-2010, 04:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregLee View Post

The article claims that the converter works for old 3D-ready plasmas, as well as DLP. That's good news for me, if it's true, since I have two Samsung 3D-ready plasmas. I'm skeptical.

I've read that it's compatible with the Sammy A550's, which are native 1080p, which makes sense, as that's the native resolution of the DLPs.

post #6 of 338 Old 03-14-2010, 07:57 PM - Thread Starter

I was thinking about this piece of equipment and those that have a 3D Ready DLP RPTV. . .

It is supposed to come out; "late spring." So when it comes out - and people buy it and a 3D BD player . . .

What 3D BD are they going to buy? All the titles so far announced are under exclusives with the CEM's selling 3DTV bundles.

The Samsung 3D starter kit isn't for DLP-Link 3DTVs. The Panasonic 3D BD player seems to come with a demo disc, but how many times can you watch demos?

AFAIK, Mits doesn't have a releationship with a Hollywood studio like Samsung or Panasonic do.
post #7 of 338 Old 03-15-2010, 07:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post

I was thinking about this piece of equipment and those that have a 3D Ready DLP RPTV. . .

It is supposed to come out; "late spring." So when it comes out - and people buy it and a 3D BD player . . .

What 3D BD are they going to buy? All the titles so far announced are under exclusives with the CEM's selling 3DTV bundles.

The Samsung 3D starter kit isn't for DLP-Link 3DTVs. The Panasonic 3D BD player seems to come with a demo disc, but how many times can you watch demos?

AFAIK, Mits doesn't have a releationship with a Hollywood studio like Samsung or Panasonic do.

For those of us with Directv, late-spring is perfect timing.

post #8 of 338 Old 03-15-2010, 08:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregLee View Post

What is the soure of and the format of the 3D content you currently use with your plasmas?
If they recceive checkerboard content does the IR tranmitter for the active glases connect to the plasma or to the source you are receiving the content from?
post #9 of 338 Old 03-15-2010, 09:28 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by walford View Post

What is the soure of and the format of the 3D content you currently use with your plasmas?
If they recceive checkerboard content does the IR tranmitter for the active glases connect to the plasma or to the source you are receiving the content from?

The PDP's have that 3D output jack on the back of them.

http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/co...00L02_0214.pdf
post #10 of 338 Old 03-15-2010, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:

I don't use any 3D content. I understand my 720p plasmas can be used for MS Windows system games, with certain hardware and software. I run Linux and have no interest in pursuing this. Both my sets have ports for glasses and connect to computer dvi video ports with an hdmi/dvi cable. My pn50a450 uses checkerboard format input and my pn42b450 uses either that or a side-by-side format.

Because of the special input resolution requirements of these two Samsung plasmas, discussed in Anthony1's posts, I think chances are very slim that my sets will ever be able to display the current 3D formats at any price for adapters that I would care to pay.

Greg Lee
post #11 of 338 Old 03-15-2010, 12:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
I downloaded the doc for the 550 model that was also in the list and it does not support 3D checkerbox input or 3D glases even though it was in the list.
And sure enough the doc for the 450 model you have says it does.
post #12 of 338 Old 03-15-2010, 07:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Until a good (and more affordable) 3D front projector becomes available, I've been considering a Mits DLP rear projector as an interim 3D solution, especially since the converter is only about $100. I do have some concerns, though.

I finally got around to seeing a Mits demo at an area Ultimate Electronics. It used the nVidia shutter glasses and a clip reel running off a Windows box - sky diving, Coraline, a host of other animation clips. I saw some problems. The first wasn't due to the technology, but instead was a result of poor TV placement. The Mits 65" DLP rear projector was facing the front entrance. The reflections washed out the image and negated much of the contrast, and therefore the depth of the display. I knew that was going to happen before I even sat down.

The more serious problem was ghosting. I could see both images on the screen at the same time - very faint, but definitely there. This is a deal breaker for me, no matter what the technology is. I'm assuming it was a result of a sync issue and hopefully not an issue of the LCD shutter glasses being unable to shut out all the light. If it's a sync issue, I'm assuming it was caused by an improper signal delay somewhere in the chain - that is, that one eye remained open for a fraction of the time it was supposed to be closed. Does anyone know if the nVidia system has an adjustable delay to fix such a problem?

The other possibility is that the shutter glasses let through part of the light even when closed. That would make shutter glasses (if it holds true for all of them) completely unacceptable for me. I'd be forced to consider a polarized solution, much as I'd rather not do that.

The other problem I noted with the display was a really weird sort of rainbowing. I'm not very susceptible to RBE, but I did notice it. It was odd, though, and unlike RBE I've seen in the past. This RBE was not clean, if that's a term one could apply to RBE. It looked like a "shattered" version of RBE, and was oddly more disturbing than typical RBE. I'm certain it had to do with the 3D "offset" of the images.

I took an opportunity to spend a little time with the Mits Laservue while I was there (not connected to the 3D source). I had read a report from CES in which the writer said the Mits Laservue was the most effective 3D he saw. (It was working with the Mits 3DC-1000 adapter and Blu-ray 3D, IIRC.) First of all, it has dropped to $4,000 from $7,000, so it was competitive with other Mits DLP rear projectors. There was zero RBE - due to the laser scanning system, I'm assuming. Based on what I saw, the contrast of 3D on this set has the potential of being outstanding, but I was concerned about the noisiness of the image. From a normal seating distance, the clips they had running on it all looked grainy. Up close, it was easy to see the diamond shapes of the pixels.

I came away from the demo and the Laservue thinking I'd have to see a much better demo or I would be very reluctant to buy into this technology, even as an interim solution.

Joe Clark

post #13 of 338 Old 03-15-2010, 08:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I downloaded the doc for the 550 model that was also in the list and it does not support 3D checkerbox input or 3D glases even though it was in the list.
And sure enough the doc for the 450 model you have says it does.

Quote:
Samsung 3D Kit - SSG1000/ Over 500:1 Contrast Ratio/ 5 Meters Maximum Signal Receiving Distance/ Up To 80 Hours Of Operating Time/ For Samsung Plasma 450 Series, DLP 650 And 750 Series/ Requires Suitable PC And Graphics Card/ 3D Kit Includes Shutter Glass, Emitter And Software CD

Discontinued Product

http://www.abt.com/product/36807/Samsung-SSG1000.html
post #14 of 338 Old 03-15-2010, 08:04 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Clark View Post

Until a good (and more affordable) 3D front projector becomes available, I've been considering a Mits DLP rear projector as an interim 3D solution, especially since the converter is only about $100. I do have some concerns, though.

Before I returned my 73" Mitsubishi DLP, I hooked my PC up to it and played Avatar (the game). It has a 3d mode.. I set it to the checkerboard for DLP and put on my shutter glasses I had.

The 3d was REALLY good! I saw no ghosting / double object and it was just like looking into a window. It was REALLY good.

Perhaps their setup wasn't quite right that you saw?

:)
post #15 of 338 Old 03-15-2010, 08:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJChris View Post

Before I returned my 73" Mitsubishi DLP, I hooked my PC up to it and played Avatar (the game). It has a 3d mode.. I set it to the checkerboard for DLP and put on my shutter glasses I had.

The 3d was REALLY good! I saw no ghosting / double object and it was just like looking into a window. It was REALLY good.

Perhaps their setup wasn't quite right that you saw?

That's what I'm hoping. It was the first time I ever saw the demo. It used the nVidia glasses and the setup was poor. Still, the double image was definitely there. What I really want to see is a 3D Blu-ray disc, with the 3DC-1000 adapter, and preferably on a Laservue. Despite the graininess, I have a feeling the contrast and color on that set might make for a killer 3D system. I'd have to sit close, though, and that has me concerned. I know from my experience with Avatar in the theaters that the more the edges of the frame disappear into my peripheral vision, the better the 3D effect for me. Up that close, though, the graininess could be a serious issue.

Joe Clark

post #16 of 338 Old 03-16-2010, 07:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That's what I'm hoping. It was the first time I ever saw the demo. It used the nVidia glasses and the setup was poor. Still, the double image was definitely there. What I really want to see is a 3D Blu-ray disc, with the 3DC-1000 adapter, and preferably on a Laservue. Despite the graininess, I have a feeling the contrast and color on that set might make for a killer 3D system. I'd have to sit close, though, and that has me concerned. I know from my experience with Avatar in the theaters that the more the edges of the frame disappear into my peripheral vision, the better the 3D effect for me. Up that close, though, the graininess could be a serious issue.

A lot of people complain of ghosting with the nvidia glasses. Heck, I can see some ghosting with the IO glasses, but what do you expect, they're the cheapest on the market.

The RealD and Xpand glasses are supposedly a lot better than both of the above.

post #17 of 338 Old 03-16-2010, 12:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

When I stopped in at a local Best Buy today, not expecting anything, they had the Samsung Starter Kit out and on display. I finagled the Manager into cracking the box and setting it up. I'm going back later to see if I a different position or distance will make it better, but I saw the same kind of ghosting on the Samsung that I saw on the Mits the other day at Ultimate. The disc was Monsters vs Aliens, and in about half the scenes, the ghosting was definitely there.

Joe Clark

post #18 of 338 Old 03-17-2010, 03:03 AM

Liked: 11
Lee Stewart- Off the subject of the converter, do you know if the new Samsung 3d kits use an IR emitter?
post #19 of 338 Old 03-17-2010, 04:52 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel802 View Post

Lee Stewart- Off the subject of the converter, do you know if the new Samsung 3d kits use an IR emitter?

For the new Samsung 3DTV's? No - the emiter is built into the set
post #20 of 338 Old 03-17-2010, 06:20 AM

That makes sense. I wonder if I bought one of the singular pairs if it will work with my Samsung IR emitter that came with my glasses(SSG-1000). Hmmm????
post #21 of 338 Old 03-17-2010, 06:23 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

That makes sense. I wonder if I bought one of the singular pairs if it will work with my Samsung IR emitter that came with my glasses(SSG-1000). Hmmm????

The SSG-1000 was used for their DLP and PDP 3D ready sets. I don't think so. The refresh rate isn't going to match up.

Nothing on Ebay?
post #22 of 338 Old 03-17-2010, 06:36 AM

They still operate at 60 hz just like these. I can't imagine too much has changed on them. I think the only thing is did they change the IR frequency?
As far as finding glasses on Ebay or anywhere, forget it. They are long gone.
post #23 of 338 Old 03-17-2010, 06:50 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

They still operate at 60 hz just like these. I can't imagine too much has changed on them. I think the only thing is did they change the IR frequency?
As far as finding glasses on Ebay or anywhere, forget it. They are long gone.

The new Samsung 3DTV's operate at 120Hz per eye/240Hz total (LCD)

One (SSG-1000) is available on Ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/3D-Samsung-Glass...item255951629d
post #24 of 338 Old 03-17-2010, 07:10 AM

120hz per eye, no kidding
post #25 of 338 Old 03-17-2010, 07:34 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:

When I stopped in at a local Best Buy today, not expecting anything, they had the Samsung Starter Kit out and on display. I finagled the Manager into cracking the box and setting it up. I'm going back later to see if I a different position or distance will make it better, but I saw the same kind of ghosting on the Samsung that I saw on the Mits the other day at Ultimate. The disc was Monsters vs Aliens, and in about half the scenes, the ghosting was definitely there.

I went to Best Buy last night to look at the Samsung setup. It was a 55"...

I did not see any ghosting at all. I specifically looked for issues like this and spent a good amount of time looking at it. The picture was sharp, no ghosting for me.

Could this be from lighting in the store or IR inteference or something else?

The only thing I noticed was a reflection on the inside of the glasses from the wall of TVs behind me.

:)
post #26 of 338 Old 03-17-2010, 07:43 AM

Hey Lee, On the Best Buy site, if you type in SSG-2100AB, it says the glasses are compatible with certain displays. Now what got me curious was it mentioned 750 series LCD tvs. If I am not mistaken, there has not been any
3d ready LCDs yet. So I wonder if they meant 750 series DLP or just a plain oversight altogether. Check it out.
post #27 of 338 Old 03-17-2010, 07:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post

The SSG-1000 was used for their DLP and PDP 3D ready sets. I don't think so. The refresh rate isn't going to match up.

Nothing on Ebay?

I thought the IR sync is what tells the glasses when to close or open. If the frequency is the same, the glasses should work. For example, the Xpand 103s can operate up to 160Hz, but it's not set at 160Hz, it all depends on the signal it receives.

post #28 of 338 Old 03-17-2010, 07:53 AM

Thats the impression I was under. The item on Ebay is located in Bulgaria, with only 15 sales. I don't know. I may just order the darn thing from Best Buy and take a chance, if it don't work then I'll send it right back.
post #29 of 338 Old 03-17-2010, 08:01 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by taz291819 View Post

I thought the IR sync is what tells the glasses when to close or open. If the frequency is the same, the glasses should work. For example, the Xpand 103s can operate up to 160Hz, but it's not set at 160Hz, it all depends on the signal it receives.

Those are designed as Universal shutter glasses. To be used with more than one CEM's set.
post #30 of 338 Old 03-17-2010, 08:07 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Hey Lee, On the Best Buy site, if you type in SSG-2100AB, it says the glasses are compatible with certain displays. Now what got me curious was it mentioned 750 series LCD tvs. If I am not mistaken, there has not been any
3d ready LCDs yet. So I wonder if they meant 750 series DLP or just a plain oversight altogether. Check it out.

I don't know what that is. Could be a typo - the glasses aren't listed yet on Samsung's website. They only made 3D ready DLP and PDP HDTV's previous to the new 3DTVs
Reply 3D Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page