Where ? City and Store have you seen 3D with glasses - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 73 Old 03-16-2010, 10:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Could the people that have seen 2010 3D TVs please say where they saw it.

What product ?
What movie or other 3D content ?

What City ?
Store name ?
Store location ?

Optional
Exceeded expectations ?
Would you buy one if you could afford it ?

Thank you,
jgcec
San Jose CA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 73 Old 03-16-2010, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Their just about everywhere now since their at Best Buy and Sears. My expectations were met here in Chicago where I've seen the Panasonice Future Tour with 3D various screen sizes and their 3D blu-ray player and 3D glasses.
post #3 of 73 Old 03-16-2010, 04:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Panasonic...Best Buy...West Los Angeles...Grand Canyon demo...

The most gimmicky crap I have ever seen in my life! I will NEVER, EVER buy a 3-D television. Flickering, optic distortion, gray-ish lenses...the list goes on and on. This whole 3-D marketing is just ridiculous!

Santa Claus has the right idea...visit people only once a year...Victor Borge
post #4 of 73 Old 03-16-2010, 05:37 PM

Where: Best Buy in Wilmington, North Carolina

I was very satisfied with the set up they had. Watched "Monsters Vs Aliens" for about 15 minutes. They had two leather reclining chairs set up inside a darkened tent. I didn't notice any "ghosting" or whatever the guy mentioned down below in another thread. But then again, I'm not looking for the smallest minute imperfection so that I can justify not purchasing it like a lot of folks on this forum do, I've noticed.
post #5 of 73 Old 03-16-2010, 07:18 PM - Thread Starter

BEST BUY STORES NOW
Samsung 3D TV, 3D player with glasses available now
1 Blossom Hill store
2 Milpitas store
assuming most others BBs

SUNDAY March 21
Panasonic 3D complete TV set up
will be set up by Sunday in Blossom Hill store
no display but is available to buy at Milpitas store
post #6 of 73 Old 03-16-2010, 08:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Samsung, Best Buy in Orange, Southern Callifornia, by the Block.

Sony, Sony store, Costa Mesa, South Coast Plaza.

Both excellent, very impressed.

R
post #7 of 73 Old 03-16-2010, 09:32 PM

Paramus - Fashion Center Best Buy
Samsung 55" 7000 series LED.

I have to say it looked awesome in 3d.

:)
post #8 of 73 Old 03-16-2010, 09:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiomixer View Post

Panasonic...Best Buy...West Los Angeles...Grand Canyon demo...

The most gimmicky crap I have ever seen in my life! I will NEVER, EVER buy a 3-D television. Flickering, optic distortion, gray-ish lenses...the list goes on and on. This whole 3-D marketing is just ridiculous!

I LOVE 3D. I saw the demos at CES and I'm really looking forward to watching it in my home. The good news for you is that no one is going to force you to buy a 3D TV right now. In a few years when you buy a new TV, you won't have a choice---No matter how much of a hater you are, IT'S NOT GOING AWAY. More good news for you though, is that you NEVER EVER have to watch 3D on your 3D TV when you get one.
post #9 of 73 Old 03-17-2010, 05:23 AM

See panasonic.com/future for a traveling 3D event they are doing. You can also win a set up if you're there during specified hours. Also, as many have mentioned Best Buy has or will have set ups. You can visit the Best Buy site TV area. They recommend calling your store before you head out, to see if they have it set up already.
post #10 of 73 Old 03-17-2010, 04:00 PM
AVS Special Member

I just got back from Best Buy in Santa Clarita and looked at both the Panasonic and the Samsung displays. The Samsung had a Blu-ray of Star Trek on it---fake 3D that looked absolutely horrible. Samsung is doing themselves a huge disservice by letting people see that sort of 3D out of 2D mode. I saw the same TV the other day with a short 3D demo going that had graphics and a clip from Monsters vs Aliens in 3D. It looked great, The sales guy said that the demo was on a flash drive that went bad and that they were waiting for another one. He also realized how horrible the Star Trek video looked converted to 3D. The Panasonic demo was much better. I had seen Panasonic 3D at the NAB last April, and at this year's CES. The Best Buy TV had a 3D Blu-ray demo disk playing on it. AUDIOMIXER WAS RIGHT about the Grand Canyon section of the disk. The video of the Grand Canyon has a very washed out look to it and the colors of the canyon look grey instead of bright and clear. The 3D effect in that section looked just OK, but you can clearly see that even in 2D that video was crap. However, there were some good sections on the demo disk including some animation and shots of Rome and some motorcycle footage. When the Samsung had good content on it, it looked good, and the Panasonic looked good as well depending on what part of the demo disk you were looking at. Right now, I would lean toward the 65" Panasonic when it becomes available although I also want to check out the even larger Vizio coming later this year.
post #11 of 73 Old 03-18-2010, 06:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by fire407 View Post

I just got back from Best Buy in Santa Clarita and looked at both the Panasonic and the Samsung displays. The Samsung had a Blu-ray of Star Trek on it---fake 3D that looked absolutely horrible. Samsung is doing themselves a huge disservice by letting people see that sort of 3D out of 2D mode. I saw the same TV the other day with a short 3D demo going that had graphics and a clip from Monsters vs Aliens in 3D. It looked great, The sales guy said that the demo was on a flash drive that went bad and that they were waiting for another one. He also realized how horrible the Star Trek video looked converted to 3D. The Panasonic demo was much better. I had seen Panasonic 3D at the NAB last April, and at this year's CES. The Best Buy TV had a 3D Blu-ray demo disk playing on it. AUDIOMIXER WAS RIGHT about the Grand Canyon section of the disk. The video of the Grand Canyon has a very washed out look to it and the colors of the canyon look grey instead of bright and clear. The 3D effect in that section looked just OK, but you can clearly see that even in 2D that video was crap. However, there were some good sections on the demo disk including some animation and shots of Rome and some motorcycle footage. When the Samsung had good content on it, it looked good, and the Panasonic looked good as well depending on what part of the demo disk you were looking at. Right now, I would lean toward the 65" Panasonic when it becomes available although I also want to check out the even larger Vizio coming later this year.

Since you've seen both the Samsung and the the Panasonic displays, I'll ask you the question: does the Panasonic have image ghosting? I know the two Samsung 7000s I've seen in different stores here in St. Louis both exhibit ghosting. I can't NOT see it. If the Panasonic has ghosting, then it's LCD shutter glasses probably can't shut out enough light when "closed" to completely block it. If that's an inherent problem with shutter glasses, period, then a polarized solution is in my future. If it's an LCD problem, but not plasma, I'll probably end up with polarized glasses for 3D in my home theater. That'll be projection eventually, but I could live with a 65-68" plasma if projection 3D is too high initially.

Joe Clark

post #12 of 73 Old 03-18-2010, 07:00 AM
Advanced Member

hi, I saw the 3D Demo at my local Best Buy.. It had exceeded my expectation..

Where : Best Buy, Deptford, New JErsey..

Demo of Aliens vs Monster I believe??

Now I am an Avid 3D Gamer since 2001 and seen all sorts of 3D on CRT, DLP Projector. This 3D I saw was the Best I have seen Probally due to the High Refresh rate. I saw Absloutely NO GHosting..

It was like watching a Hi Def Show but in 3D. The 3D Effect was spectacular.. I saw Good Depth and Colors..

Now the Display was out in the Light and it Still was impressive. The 3D shines in a Darkened room as I was getting reflections off the Glasses from the LCD TV;s Behind me.. So try to imagine this Effect in a DARK room.

I think they should of set this up in one of the Dark Magnolia rooms ..

here is a link to BB FAQ Page:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Electron...at204300050000

post #13 of 73 Old 03-18-2010, 07:38 AM

Liked: 11
I have been to the Best Buy in Akron, OH. They are using snippets from the Monster Vs Aliens 3D BD. The display size I believe is 55". It looks good considering that there is a lot of ambient light and there is a huge row of tvs behind you. The first time I saw the display the 3d effect was blown out of proportion and you could make out the outlines of the objects in the image. This may have been due to the torch mode setting of the display or the 3d wasn't dialed in properly. Now upon a second visit the Magnolia guys tweaked it and no more outlines or ghosting. Now what I noticed was the 3d effect was lessened and the image did not fill the screen to the left and right as there was 3/8" cropping on each side.

So in short I think it looks pretty cool, however being in a store area it is probably not the most accurate representation of the product, but should give a rough idea. Personally I prefer my display at home with 3d on the Xbox and laptop. One thing that is abundantly clear, screen size is big thing. The effect is less immersive on the display at Best Buy. 55" is not a small tv by any stretch but for 3d I feel the screen should be bigger. Just my opinion.

Cheers
post #14 of 73 Old 03-18-2010, 11:16 AM

Sony store at La Cantera Mall in San Antonio, Tx.

They had a 55 inch tv hooked up to a ps3. I got to play Wipeout HD in 3d and saw a few game videos. The Killzone 2 Sniper video was in 3d and it was amazing...Wipeout HD was a blast to play....

I was floored by it. While I dont really see myself wanting to watch movies on it, I could totally see this adding a whole new dimension (no pun intended) to gaming....
post #15 of 73 Old 03-18-2010, 11:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I still have not had one store confirm by phone that they have any setup working and on display.

To the above? The PS3 does not have the 3D game firmware update out out yet, so I am really confused by your post.
post #16 of 73 Old 03-18-2010, 11:39 AM

Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNnDENVER View Post

I still have not had one store confirm by phone that they have any setup working and on display.

To the above? The PS3 does not have the 3D game firmware update out out yet, so I am really confused by your post.

He was watching/playing with the 2D to 3D conversion feature on the Samsung.
post #17 of 73 Old 03-18-2010, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNnDENVER View Post

He said he was in a Sony Style store so I assume they have a PS3 demo set up with early 3-D firmware on it.

I've read articles in the past where Sony have demoed the 3-D software on the PS3 at consumer electronic expos, so I know for a fact they already have it working and are showing it off. They show off Killzone 2, Wipeout HD, MLB The Show 2010 and a few other games in 3-D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post

He was watching/playing with the 2D to 3D conversion feature on the Samsung.

See my post above. A Sony store wouldn't have a Samsung tv in it.
post #18 of 73 Old 03-18-2010, 01:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Man, somebody has got to leak that beta FW update!!!!
post #19 of 73 Old 03-18-2010, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angels&Airwaves View Post

See my post above. A Sony store wouldn't have a Samsung tv in it.

Oops saw the 55" - The Sony stores have a 52"
post #20 of 73 Old 03-18-2010, 02:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Clark View Post

Since you've seen both the Samsung and the the Panasonic displays, I'll ask you the question: does the Panasonic have image ghosting? I know the two Samsung 7000s I've seen in different stores here in St. Louis both exhibit ghosting. I can't NOT see it. If the Panasonic has ghosting, then it's LCD shutter glasses probably can't shut out enough light when "closed" to completely block it. If that's an inherent problem with shutter glasses, period, then a polarized solution is in my future. If it's an LCD problem, but not plasma, I'll probably end up with polarized glasses for 3D in my home theater. That'll be projection eventually, but I could live with a 65-68" plasma if projection 3D is too high initially.

I guess I'm a little bit confused about what you mean by ghosting. It's my understanding that shuttered glasses give you totally discreet views for each eye--there is no crosstalk. Whereas polarized glasses always allow one eye to bleed over into the other, even though it's a little bit less with circular polarization. I know when I cover one eye using the Panasonic glasses, I only see one image. I've seen a lot of the 3D demos at CES, and every once in a while you'll get images that aren't converged, but that seems to be the fault of the video being shown rather than crosstalk between what each eye sees. The problem is that there isn't any really good 3D video to see demos of at the moment. The best I ever saw was at NAB last April where Panasonic had a live camera on a bakery set with a live model and it looked like she and the counter top were right in front of us.
post #21 of 73 Old 03-18-2010, 03:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I saw ghosting pretty regular on the Sony Demo. At the Samsung Demo today, I didn't really see any. I liked the CGI Aliens and Monsters, and the 2D to 3D conversion of some nature disc didn't look too bad, though not as sharp as the previous true 3D material.

However, after about 20 minutes of viewing my head and stomach were affected. I hadn't reached the point of a sharp headache or nausea, but both were unsettled. I remember feeling slightly disoriented after about the same amount of viewing on the Sony, but was affected a little more with the Samsung demo.

I remember a minor amount of head/stomach issues after seeing Avatar at the movies, but that was after 2-1/2 hours.

I wonder if I'm THAT guy. I guess I'll have to watch the demo's for a bit longer to see how things develop.

See ya. Dave

"High Fidelity audio has been like a dog chasing his tail. High Fidelity in my marriage has been much more rewarding cause she knows where I sleep."
post #22 of 73 Old 03-18-2010, 03:38 PM

Saw the Samsung 55" S3D playing Monsters vs. Aliens today at a Best Buy in Chicago on north Elston St, S3D looked amazing! They've nailed it, I could easily watch a movie on that thing, can't wait for more content, Price was too steep though for the Samsung system, Monitor ($3,000), Starter Kit ($340), S3D Blu-Ray Player ($400) with tax comes to about $4,125.00

Haven't seen the Panasonic system yet, hopefully they'll have one on display in a few weeks
post #23 of 73 Old 03-18-2010, 03:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I thought the starter kit was free if you purchased the displays and bluray player?
post #24 of 73 Old 03-18-2010, 03:55 PM

Best Buy's 3D bundle pricing isn't as much of a deal as it appears

http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/18/b...l-as-it-appea/
post #25 of 73 Old 03-18-2010, 06:56 PM

What product ? 55 Samsung C7000
What movie or other 3D content ? Monsters vs aliens

What City ? Oakville Ontario
Store name ? Oakville Sight and Sound
Store location ? Oakville, Ontario, Canada

Optional
Exceeded expectations ? All I have to say is WOW, the tv itself is awesome... throw in 3D content and it blew my mind!!!
Would you buy one if you could afford it ? OH YEA... All this hype about the '3D' they forget the tv itself is worth the buy.
post #26 of 73 Old 03-18-2010, 09:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Best Buy in Los Angeles. Saw some clips of the Panasonic demo (Grand Canyon, etc.). They were busy setting up the Samsung demo at the time.

Looked good. Some of the 3-D material was a little too exaggerated, but the system itself worked well. It confirmed what I've felt: you need an even larger display than with 2-D to really make it sink in.
post #27 of 73 Old 03-19-2010, 11:44 AM

Houston, TX:

Sony Store in the Galleria - During the demo there was some video game with really bad ghosting or artifacts. COuld really tell what was going on but the thing hurt to look at, not very crisp at I. I'd never play the thing. HOwever there was a polar bear scene which many have commented on and that looked fantastic.

Magnolia Store Best Buy Galleria - I sampled the C7000 with Monsters Vs. Aliens and also the Panny with their demo disc. First one I saw was the Panny. First impressions... even without 3D, that is a very impressive 2D TV. Amazing picture with plenty of pop and great blacks. When viewing in 3D, it was startling actually. I didnt' expect the effect to be this good. Off angle viewings was fantastic. I walked around the screen to about 30 deg. of either side of the set while watching 3D. There were no issues with off angle that I could tell. What was incredible was the 3D kinda follwed you based on your perspective. Meaning as I walked to the left, the edge of the cliff expanded in that direction and the horizon still remianed set in the distance. Overall this was the TV I thought I'd purchase.
Teh C700 was another story, I really looked for the light shining in at the edges like the 2009 models had and I found it. Their 2009 back lit LEDs had light that would shine through on the the corners mostly and the 2010 model still had the same behaviour. However, I asked my freind that was with me if he saw anything and he didn't notice a thing. I think if you are in a purely dark environment and are looking for it, you'll find it. To the casual viewer (or in a bright room) it will not be bothersome. THey only had MOnsters Vs. Aliens running and it did provide a great 3D experience. I'm not sure if I saw what you would call ghosting but as I got up and walked around the set the image was not as crisp as it was with the Panasonic. While there was still 3D a plenty I did not get the same effect of the 3D folling me and the image did almst blur a little on the edges. I treid sitting in the middle of the TV and turning my head in different directions to micik laying down etc. There wasn't a major difference in clarity by tilting my head to the side. While impressive, I really wanted to see that DVD on the Panasonic. Since it's a 3D animated movie I figured it would be night and day on the Panny. The manager said they could do that for me at a later time after they go more set up. Panny seems to have the Samsung beat in 2D picture and off angle viewing. Not really a surprise since we're comapring Plasma to LCD/LED and the VT is Pannys flasgship whereas the C7000 is at the lower end of the spectrum for Samsung. Pricewise is where Panny really makes a huge difference. At only $2500 the Panny seems like a much better option if you can live with only 50" instead of 55". Less than $3000 for a flaship model based on the VT25 that won best in show at this years CES is a great value (reviews on the 25 have been ammended due to the rising balck level). Before I buy there are a few things I want to see and will sample in the coming weeks. First off is Samsungs plasma release. Will Samsungs plasma deliver an offangle and better overall 3D experience similar to the Panny since it's plasma and can deal with motion better? Second, what about the 2D to 3D conversion? Panny doens't have it, Samsung does. What will it look like on the plasmas? Will it look better than what has been reported on the LCDs? If it's decent and by decenlt I mean kinda like buying an HD TV and getting a 720P picture instead of 1080p picture, it may be worth it since there will not be much of any content availble for a year or so. Will it be the true 3D experience? No, but it sure would make gaming fun. There are only limited cable stations that will be broadcasting, Avatar isn't coming out in 3D any time soon and there isn't a massive list of 3D video games and movies that will be availble in 2010. So if the conversion works for existing movies and video games to a decent degree, perhaps it's worth giving it a shot due to having mounds of content at your fingertips. In April I'll post some feedback on the C7000 plasma, how it stacks up with the Panasonic with off angle viewing and the 2 to 3d conversion for movies and video games. until then I'll keep my eyes out for other people's feedback.

Cheers!
post #28 of 73 Old 03-19-2010, 11:54 AM

Best Buy
Beecave, Tx

Samsung 55" (?)
Monsters vs Aliens demo

It looked incredibly crisp and very impressive. The 3D was nice, however I noticed crosstalk (ghosting). I have a 3D DLP PJ now and it's 3D capabilities seem better as I have no ghosting, but way less clarity compared to the 1080p LCD.
post #29 of 73 Old 03-19-2010, 02:14 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
I saw the Sony store demo at the International Mall in Tampa Fl. It was neat, but imperfect with quality that varied from "meh" to AMAZING... Still, at 52-55 inches, I am not at all impressed. As stated above, my comments were "This is awesome... when does the 72"+ version come out, or when is there going to be a good projector?"

At the "small" size of 50-55", it is really diminishing on the 3D aspect.

Yes, the TV itself was super nice.

Play nice. It's just an online forum :)
post #30 of 73 Old 03-19-2010, 04:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Saw the Samsung at BB in Union City, CA and saw no flickering and I was impressed! I want one! What I want to see the feature that converts 2D to 3D similar to SD being converted to HD (as best as the HDTV can).
Reply 3D Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page