Any 3D projectors coming? - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #271 of 378 Old 05-25-2010, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Thomas Marshall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Sunny California
Posts: 1,233
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1 View Post

I'm in such a horrible spot (and feel fortunate to say that considering the topic). I need a new bulb (as David and I discussed before), now I want a new projector if I'm spending $350 on a bulb anyway, then I get to thinking about a 3D projector and how much of a waste of money a new 2D projector would be right now. Not to mention the Disney trip I have coming up for my family (For those who've never been, it ain't cheap for five people). Sorry, I guess this really doesn't have much relevance to the topic at hand. My impatience for new gear is just staggering sometimes.

Consider yourself lucky that your replacement Lamp is only $350.00. My second Qualia 004 Lamp just died and now I'm facing a replacement PJ or buying another Lamp at 3k.

No way I'm investing another 3k in my Qualia, so now I must wait for a reasonable 3D capable replacement to come to market.

Unbelievable, my dedicated home theater will remain dark for months.....it's like loosing my best friend!!!
Thomas Marshall is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #272 of 378 Old 05-25-2010, 01:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Joseph Clark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 10,460
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Marshall View Post

Consider yourself lucky that your replacement Lamp is only $350.00. My second Qualia 004 Lamp just died and now I'm facing a replacement PJ or buying another Lamp at 3k.

No way I'm investing another 3k in my Qualia, so now I must wait for a reasonable 3D capable replacement to come to market.

Unbelievable, my dedicated home theater will remain dark for months.....it's like loosing my best friend!!!

Or you could do what I did - buy a Panasonic AE4000 for $2,000 to tide me over until a reasonably priced 3D projector comes along. Five minutes of tweaking and I was up and running with a pretty amazing picture. I plan to sell it as soon as a 3D unit I like becomes available.

Joe Clark

Joseph Clark is offline  
post #273 of 378 Old 05-25-2010, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Thomas Marshall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Sunny California
Posts: 1,233
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Clark View Post

Or you could do what I did - buy a Panasonic AE4000 for $2,000 to tide me over until a reasonably priced 3D projector comes along. Five minutes of tweaking and I was up and running with a pretty amazing picture. I plan to sell it as soon as a 3D unit I like becomes available.

Not to get off topic here but I have a couple questions:

How does the Panny stack up to the Oualia as far as pic quality?

Also, can it light up a 133" diagonal screen (FireHawk)?
Thomas Marshall is offline  
post #274 of 378 Old 05-25-2010, 02:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Joseph Clark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 10,460
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Marshall View Post

Not to get off topic here but I have a couple questions:

How does the Panny stack up to the Oualia as far as pic quality?

Also, can it light up a 133" diagonal screen (FireHawk)?

Don't know how it compares to the Qualia. I've never seen a Qualia. I also have a Sharp XV-Z20000, and I like the Panasonic better in many ways, though the 4000 cost 3 1/2 times less.

I think you'd be able to use the 4000 on that size screen, but no guarantees on whether you could do it on its "best" settings. I had to raise the 4000 up high, because my DaLite HP was too bright at 110", even at best settings, when mounted close to eye level.

Joe Clark

Joseph Clark is offline  
post #275 of 378 Old 05-25-2010, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Thomas Marshall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Sunny California
Posts: 1,233
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Clark View Post

Don't know how it compares to the Qualia. I've never seen a Qualia. I also have a Sharp XV-Z20000, and I like the Panasonic better in many ways, though the 4000 cost 3 1/2 times less.

I think you'd be able to use the 4000 on that size screen, but no guarantees on whether you could do it on its "best" settings. I had to raise the 4000 up high, because my DaLite HP was too bright at 110", even at best settings, when mounted close to eye level.

I just spent the last half hour reading one of the owners threads on the AE4000. It looks like a great short term solution for me and I think the Firehawk will be a reasonable match for it.

Thanks for your prompt reply....I'll take any further questions about this PJ to the owners thread
Thomas Marshall is offline  
post #276 of 378 Old 05-25-2010, 05:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Joseph Clark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 10,460
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Marshall View Post

I just spent the last half hour reading one of the owners threads on the AE4000. It looks like a great short term solution for me and I think the Firehawk will be a reasonable match for it.

Thanks for your prompt reply....I'll take any further questions about this PJ to the owners thread

One last comment then. I used to have a Firehawk in that room, also about 110". I think you'll be OK at 133", although you may have to switch to high lamp mode. It's better than giving up a projector for months. That would be torture.

Joe Clark

Joseph Clark is offline  
post #277 of 378 Old 07-03-2010, 06:17 PM
sb1
AVS Special Member
 
sb1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 7,306
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Well, I'm not holding out any longer. I'm shopping for a new 2D projector. I'm starting to have my doubts about 3D at home. Or, rather, 3D at home being up to any acceptable standards (both cost and performance wise). Hopefully I'm wrong.

Stephen.

Chances are very good that I was drinking when I posted the above.

sb1 is online now  
post #278 of 378 Old 07-03-2010, 06:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
CINERAMAX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: From Coconut Grove FL to the rest of the globe with TLC.
Posts: 12,727
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 74
The cost I see your point, but the standards? The 85K Titan Reference for a consumer 3D PJ is practically perfect in Every way...
CINERAMAX is online now  
post #279 of 378 Old 07-03-2010, 07:01 PM
sb1
AVS Special Member
 
sb1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 7,306
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by CINERAMAX View Post

The cost I see your point, but the standards? The 85K Titan Reference for a consumer 3D PJ is practically perfect in Every way...

I think you get my point, though. For us lowly "real world" folk is what I'm talking about. Meaning, cost/performance ratio problems...

Stephen.

Chances are very good that I was drinking when I posted the above.

sb1 is online now  
post #280 of 378 Old 07-03-2010, 09:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Joseph Clark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 10,460
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 172
I'm still convinced 3D@Home is going to exceed 3D at commercial theaters. I'll be very surprised if that isn't the case. I broke down and bought a 63" 3D plasma, and it exceeds the picture quality of almost all the 3D theaters I've ever been to - perhaps not in every way, but certainly in most. I'd wager that I'll have a 3D projection home theater within the year and that I'll be seeing Avatar with picture quality that is better than any of the four times (and three different commercial theaters) where I saw it originally.

Joe Clark

Joseph Clark is offline  
post #281 of 378 Old 07-04-2010, 07:45 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Thomas Marshall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Sunny California
Posts: 1,233
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Clark View Post

I'm still convinced 3D@Home is going to exceed 3D at commercial theaters. I'll be very surprised if that isn't the case. I broke down and bought a 63" 3D plasma, and it exceeds the picture quality of almost all the 3D theaters I've ever been to - perhaps not in every way, but certainly in most. I'd wager that I'll have a 3D projection home theater within the year and that I'll be seeing Avatar with picture quality that is better than any of the four times (and three different commercial theaters) where I saw it originally.

I completely agree. This was the case with 2D and I expect the same will be true with 3D. Hopefully we'll have several 3D PJ's to choose from at the next CES
Thomas Marshall is offline  
post #282 of 378 Old 07-04-2010, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member
 
DaViD Boulet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Washington DC area
Posts: 6,428
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Marshall View Post

I completely agree. This was the case with 2D and I expect the same will be true with 3D. Hopefully we'll have several 3D PJ's to choose from at the next CES

we will indeed. Apparently, Sony already has a 3D PJ (sxrd) that uses active shutter glasses making some rare appearances in Europe. Hopefully we'll hear more soon, but even this year's CEDIA will be swarming with 3D projectors.

1080p and lossless audio. EVERY BD should have them both.
DaViD Boulet is online now  
post #283 of 378 Old 07-04-2010, 01:55 PM
Senior Member
 
javdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: California
Posts: 247
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Clark View Post

I'm still convinced 3D@Home is going to exceed 3D at commercial theaters..

You couldn't be more right. Consider that this is possible now with first Gen 3DTV electronics and it becomes a forgone conclusion..size is the only temporary obstacle.

Once you've gone Buttkicker, you can't go back.

javdog is offline  
post #284 of 378 Old 07-04-2010, 07:47 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Ron Jones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Florida and West Virginia, USA
Posts: 5,892
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 194
It appears that Epson has LCoS-based (a first for Epson) 3D projectors coming out late this year that will use polarized, rather than shutter glasses.

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
Ron Jones is online now  
post #285 of 378 Old 07-04-2010, 09:38 PM
 
Lee Stewart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 19,369
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Jones View Post

It appears that Epson has LCoS-based (a first for Epson) 3D projectors coming out late this year that will use polarized, rather than shutter glasses.

Sounds like a rebadged LG which was shown at CES - MSRP = $10,000.

And you have the hassel of the silver screen.
Lee Stewart is offline  
post #286 of 378 Old 07-05-2010, 08:16 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member
 
Toe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 13,166
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 502
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post

Sounds like a rebadged LG which was shown at CES - MSRP = $10,000.

And you have the hassel of the silver screen.


That would be a no-go for me. I dont want to have to use a special screen just for 3-D. I am curious to hear more about the shutter glasses projectors though, especially from JVC.

I am planning on skipping the first gen of 3-D projectors for various reasons (most likely will be out of my budget and would like to hold out for a 2nd or 3rd gen machine which will surely iron out some major kinks that first gen units will have), but if price and performance were right, that could change. If nothing else, there should be some great deals on current projectors that will be replaced with their 3-D counterparts. I would love to get in on a JVC at a great price (I keep missing the RS10 deals, but maybe for good reason).

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
Toe is online now  
post #287 of 378 Old 07-05-2010, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Ron Jones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Florida and West Virginia, USA
Posts: 5,892
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post

Sounds like a rebadged LG which was shown at CES - MSRP = $10,000.

And you have the hassel of the silver screen.

No - LG is using LCoS (SXRD) panels OEM'ed from Sony and is a dual light engine configuration (6 display chips). Epson has set up their manufacturing line for LCoS panels (there are already the largest manufacturer of LCD display chips and have been supplying Panasonic, Mitsubishi and others). They have been developing their own LCoS chips for the past 2 or 3 years and these are just now getting into production. We may also see a 3D LCoS projector coming from Panasonic using the Epson display chips, but perhaps not until 2011.

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
Ron Jones is online now  
post #288 of 378 Old 07-07-2010, 05:24 PM
AVS Special Member
 
wnielsenbb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Phoenix AZ
Posts: 2,061
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 22
A 3D screen isn't a big hassle. I bought the material to use in my existing frame for around $360 from Harkness Hall, who make screens for commercial theaters. They provide mounting material too, in my case 3M dual lock. The screen material looks very similar to my Vutec Silverstar screen I am using now. Then you can use free super light passive polarized glasses. In the end the hassle of charging/changing batteries in an active setup will add up to more. Just 2 pairs of active glasses will pay for the screen material. I wouldn't write it off too fast.
Warren.
wnielsenbb is offline  
post #289 of 378 Old 07-07-2010, 09:48 PM
 
Lee Stewart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 19,369
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnielsenbb View Post

A 3D screen isn't a big hassle. I bought the material to use in my existing frame for around $360 from Harkness Hall, who make screens for commercial theaters. They provide mounting material too, in my case 3M dual lock. The screen material looks very similar to my Vutec Silverstar screen I am using now. Then you can use free super light passive polarized glasses. In the end the hassle of charging/changing batteries in an active setup will add up to more. Just 2 pairs of active glasses will pay for the screen material. I wouldn't write it off too fast.
Warren.

You didn't explain how you change from your normal screen to your silver screen.
Lee Stewart is offline  
post #290 of 378 Old 07-08-2010, 02:12 PM
AVS Special Member
 
wnielsenbb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Phoenix AZ
Posts: 2,061
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I don't have it set up yet, still waiting on a projector to come out
I don't indend on switching screens between 2D and 3D though. My theater doesn't switch screens between 2D and 3D. Anyway I will be in 3D probably 98% of the time since I mostly game on my system.
wnielsenbb is offline  
post #291 of 378 Old 07-08-2010, 08:42 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member
 
Toe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 13,166
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 502
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post

You didn't explain how you change from your normal screen to your silver screen.

Exactly. I would think for most of us (including myself) having to switch screens JUST for 3d material which will be relatively little (especially at first) would be a huge hassle. For me, it is simply not an option at this point which is why I would only look at active shutter projector models if/when I start shopping for a 3d projector.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
Toe is online now  
post #292 of 378 Old 07-08-2010, 09:30 PM
AVS Special Member
 
DaViD Boulet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Washington DC area
Posts: 6,428
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

Exactly. I would think for most of us (including myself) having to switch screens JUST for 3d material which will be relatively little (especially at first) would be a huge hassle. For me, it is simply not an option at this point which is why I would only look at active shutter projector models if/when I start shopping for a 3d projector.

Unless one screen (probably the 3D one) was stationary and the other (2D) was a pull-down. That would be easy... just roll up or down like a shade (or electrified if a more high-end setup).

1080p and lossless audio. EVERY BD should have them both.
DaViD Boulet is online now  
post #293 of 378 Old 07-09-2010, 08:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
JOHNnDENVER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 13,377
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
It is what makes the current crop of DLP 720p-ish 3D ready projectors hard to stay away from.

Add anybody's DLP Link glasses and your there. or so I hope anyways. Stinks that current implementation don't work for PS3 gaming though.
JOHNnDENVER is offline  
post #294 of 378 Old 07-09-2010, 04:12 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Thomas Marshall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Sunny California
Posts: 1,233
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

Exactly. I would think for most of us (including myself) having to switch screens JUST for 3d material which will be relatively little (especially at first) would be a huge hassle. For me, it is simply not an option.

I totally agree. I need one projector and one screen....so for me anything else is an unacceptable compromise.
Thomas Marshall is offline  
post #295 of 378 Old 07-09-2010, 06:01 PM
AVS Special Member
 
wnielsenbb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Phoenix AZ
Posts: 2,061
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 22
You don't need to switch screens. The theater doesn't. I realize in the old days 3D screens sucked, but the quality ones today work just fine for 2D.
wnielsenbb is offline  
post #296 of 378 Old 07-09-2010, 07:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
mark haflich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: brookeville, maryland, usa
Posts: 20,115
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked: 544
No way for a polarizing maintaining screen to be best for 2D. It might be OK for the less discriminating but if your 2D PQ standards are high, no way.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
mark haflich is online now  
post #297 of 378 Old 07-09-2010, 07:49 PM
 
Lee Stewart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 19,369
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post

No way for a polarizing maintaining screen to be best for 2D. It might be OK for the less discriminating but if your 2D PQ standards are high, no way.

True - silver screens hot spot when used for 2D projection. Just a fact of life. Plus getting color uniformity is next to impossible.
Lee Stewart is offline  
post #298 of 378 Old 07-09-2010, 10:10 PM
AVS Special Member
 
DaViD Boulet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Washington DC area
Posts: 6,428
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post

True - silver screens hot spot when used for 2D projection. Just a fact of life. Plus getting color uniformity is next to impossible.

Yes, but there are 3D screens that maintain polarization other than the old-fashioned silver. The one used in digital theaters is a dual-purpose screen that doesn't hot-spot like silver, yet maintains polarization for passive 3D.

It probably isn't the best 2D screen in the world, but it's much better for 2D than a silver screen.

1080p and lossless audio. EVERY BD should have them both.
DaViD Boulet is online now  
post #299 of 378 Old 07-09-2010, 11:05 PM
 
Lee Stewart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 19,369
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaViD Boulet View Post

Yes, but there are 3D screens that maintain polarization other than the old-fashioned silver. The one used in digital theaters is a dual-purpose screen that doesn't hot-spot like silver, yet maintains polarization for passive 3D.

It probably isn't the best 2D screen in the world, but it's much better for 2D than a silver screen.

Who is the manufacturer of these screens that you speak of?
Lee Stewart is offline  
post #300 of 378 Old 07-10-2010, 04:49 AM
Advanced Member
 
BlackShark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Montpellier, France
Posts: 588
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnielsenbb View Post

A 3D screen isn't a big hassle. I bought the material to use in my existing frame for around $360 from Harkness Hall, who make screens for commercial theaters. They provide mounting material too, in my case 3M dual lock.
Warren.

I am about to build my own screen for passive polarized projection and I just found your post.
This is VERY interesting as I will need a custom frame (probably self made with some wood) and I was trying to figure out a way to attach a silver screen to such a frame. But this is my very first projection frame and I know how non depolarizing screen are fragile.
I heard Harkness screens are excellent screens for polarised 3D and 360$ seems really affordable, what is the size of your screen ?

Can you give me more details on this attachment system ? On which part of the screen is the attachment ? how easy is it to install ?

Passive 3D, forever !
My Full-HD dual-projector passive polarised 3D setup. (really out of date ! I need to update it some day...)

BlackShark is online now  
Reply 3D Displays

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off