Can you play 3D movies from a USB drive? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 03-21-2010, 11:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was wondering if you'd be able to play 3d movies or trailers or other videos from the USB drives on any of the new 3d TVs (especially the Samsung). And if so, does anyone know where you might get such a thing? I remember seeing 3d trailers in theaters when I went to see Avatar but I can't seem to find any online and I don't even know if a normal video file would work with the active shutter 3d displays or if you need something special for this.

If anyone has any idea or could tell me where to look it would be appreciated. I tried searching, but all I could find was how to update firmware for 3d capabilities through the USB drive. Nothing about playing videos through it in 3d.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 03-21-2010, 11:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
What you are asking for is that the 3D HDTV manufactuer also make models that essentialy have all the features of a built in several hundred dollar FHD 3D blu-ray player except that the actual optical drive would be in any enclosure connected with a UsB interface.
I do not think any of the 3D HDTV manufactures will ever produce more espensive models with this additional functionality which is not included now. It makes much more sense for the user to have a separate FHD 3D Blu-ray player which is what the current models support.
post #3 of 15 Old 03-21-2010, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter

Maybe I don't understand what makes a 3D HDTV different from a normal HDTV then. If the 3d blu-ray player is required to do all the work then what is the TV doing?

Or, how about plugging the USB drive into the blu-ray player? Basically, what I'm asking is if there is any 3D content that can be played on a 3D TV (especially Samsung) that is not from a Blu-Ray disc? Especially movie trailers and the like. Even if I still need the blu-ray player to play them.
post #4 of 15 Old 03-21-2010, 12:20 PM

Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by theomni View Post

Maybe I don't understand what makes a 3D HDTV different from a normal HDTV then. If the 3d blu-ray player is required to do all the work then what is the TV doing?

A 3DTV shows two images while an HDTV only shows a single image

The 3DTV does all the work, not the 3D BD player.

Quote:

Or, how about plugging the USB drive into the blu-ray player? Basically, what I'm asking is if there is any 3D content that can be played on a 3D TV (especially Samsung) that is not from a Blu-Ray disc? Especially movie trailers and the like. Even if I still need the blu-ray player to play them.

I'll leave this for someone else to address.
post #5 of 15 Old 03-21-2010, 12:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 99
We just don't know these things at this point. I suspect that 3D content, if it's available on a flash drive, will play like content straight from a disc. This happens now, for instance, when you take an SDHC card out of an AVCHD camcorder, put it in an adapter and plug it into a USB port on a Playstation 3. That's how I watch footage I've shot on my Canon HiDef camcorder. I imagine we'll see lots of 3D HDTVs that can read 3D data directly from memory cards plugged into their USB ports. I expect a similar ability to show images from 3D video and still cameras. That's conjecture, of course, but it makes perfect sense. Current first generation sets may not be able to do it. That's always an issue with new technologies. Later models will have more features and will cost less.

Joe Clark

post #6 of 15 Old 03-21-2010, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post

A 3DTV shows two images while an HDTV only shows a single image

The 3DTV does all the work, not the 3D BD player....

The 3D BD player is just able to read that 1920x2205 frame that a regular BD player won't.
post #7 of 15 Old 03-21-2010, 02:24 PM
AVS Special Member

When I saw the Samsung short 3D demo last week at Best Buy, the guy said it was coming off of a flash drive since they didn't have their Blu-ray player hooked up yet----I didn't ask if was USB. Also, the short 3D demo looked very good.
post #8 of 15 Old 03-21-2010, 02:55 PM
AVS Special Member

I don't see why not, If anything they may need a new codec to run it. If the tv won't run it off a flash drive I bet a PS3 would or a pc hooked into the tv.
post #9 of 15 Old 03-21-2010, 04:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
If you want to watch a Full HD 1080p per eye 3D film recorded using the new Blu-Ray 3D standards then you must use a 3D player that will decompress and decode the h.264 encioded disk and output it using the 2 frames packed buffer video format to a 3D TV which will then display it using frame sequential format and will support Active Shutter gales from using an IR emitter.
There are many other forms of 3D some of which are recorded on DVDs or standard BR disks and tranmitted in 2D format to 2D TVs.
I really have no idea what short 3D demo the BB store was showing off of a flash drive.
post #10 of 15 Old 09-20-2012, 05:51 AM

Liked: 11
There is no issue with playing 3D movies from other types of media (eg. flash drive)
Generally the image will play as a spit screen until you press the 3D button on your TV controller (most Panasonic/LG and Samsung models). In short, if the media is formatted for 3D, it really doesn't matter how it is delivered to the TV.
rl623 likes this.
post #11 of 15 Old 12-02-2013, 08:42 AM

Hi guys and gals. Has anybody managed to achieve this yet?

I am about to get a 3D TV (Samsung UE40F6500) and was hoping I'd be able to watch 3ď youtube videos either downloaded onto a usb or alternatively through HDMI connected to my Laptop.

Also, if thisnpossible is there anywhere that I can buy 3D films to download on my laptop and watch on my new TV. Thanks!
post #12 of 15 Old 12-09-2013, 12:40 PM

Hello everyone,

i have good news. Yes, my old LG LW4500 3D TV can play 3D videos from the USB port without any problem.
I'm sure the newest models also can do this.
The other good news that my job is 3D film making (mainly nature films), and from now on i start to
distribute on usb pendrive too! So you only have to put it in your television, select the file, set the tv to
3D mode with the remote and enjoy the real 3D! So computer or bluray player isn't required.
No ugly 2D->3D conversion, no films created for big screeens (with small 3D separation).
I made movies especially for home 3D TV-s with big separation, so the depth is very good.
You can check it with this sample mp4 file:
http://www.relaxvideo.hu/relax/relaxvideo-demo3d-sbs.mp4 (right click on it, and choose save as)
If you are interested in such films, visit my website for download or pendrive version: http://relaxvideo.hu/3d-varazserdo_en.html

I really like to hear your opinion!
post #13 of 15 Old 12-10-2013, 02:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
My humble opinion is that playing music with opening the website is extremely annoying. I did not look further. May check it out later.
post #14 of 15 Old 12-18-2013, 10:23 AM

It's a youtube video. But thanks for the feedback. What about save the video link with right mouse click?
post #15 of 15 Old 02-05-2014, 04:09 PM

Yes you can use a USB Drive to watch 3D movies on a 3D TV with a Micca Speck 1080p Full-HD Ultra Portable Digital Media Player For USB Drives and SD/SDHC Cards.  I got mine at Amazon.com for under $40 shipped.  You connect it to your TV through a HDMI cable and plug in your flash drive or sd card and watch your movie in 3D.  Works great.

Reply 3D Displays

Tags
3d Hdtv , Samsung , Avatar 3d Blu Ray Collectors Edition , Blu Ray Players , Playstation 3 160gb System
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page