BUYERS GUIDE: 3DTVs and 3D Active Shutter Glasses - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 87 Old 08-12-2010, 08:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Not sure if this belongs in this thread, but not sure where else to put it.

I have a Mits 73835.. I bought the recommended kit when I bought the TV about 2 years ago, which included an emitter and 2 pr glasses (tru3d) I think.. I just bought the 3DA-1 coverter to make it complete. But here is the issue...
I have a Denon 4308ci receiver that I really like. 1.3a HDMI. My directv hr21 says my TV isn't compatable when trying to route through the reciever. So, I run the Directv source directly to my converter, then to my TV, and it works. Ok, so my reciever isn't compatable, and I'll have to run separate audio..

I also have a PS3 which I want to use for 3d... I only have one input on the converter... which is used by directv. I have 4 HDMI inputs on my TV... I use 2of them...one for directv, one for PS3 ( I bypass my reciever in order to listen to Music audio when playing Tiger Woods.), One I can use for my Home Theater PC (Blu-ray/audio/photos/internet)... am I going to have to buy a converter for each HDMI input I want to use?

I read somewhere that Sony will have firmware which will make PS3 compatable with Mits DLP... (which I think means they output checkerboard?) Is this right? Does this mean I won't need a converter?

What I would REALLY like to hear, is that Denon will have an update which accepts 3d on it's HDMI (doubt it though) If that were the case, I could just route everything to my reciever, then to the converter, then a single HDMI on the TV.

Also have an XBOX360 and Wii... but that is another story ;-)

Any advice is appreciated.

PJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 87 Old 08-13-2010, 05:01 AM

I haven't read that Sony would provide a checkerboard or side by side update for the PS3. You're lucky that you have the HTPC with blu ray; you can find software that will allow you to output checkerboard, then hook it up to your receiver and then directly to the tv without the need for the adapter. This will allow you to get HD audio through the receiver. For the PS3 and DirecTV, I would look at the videos from this thread to see how this person solved his problem.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...6#post18917766

With 3 devices, D*, PS3, Xbox 360, you'll either need a 3x1 HDMI switch then to the adapter, or 2 adapters and a 2x1 HDMI switch like Cesar used in the video, or 3 adapters. You'd also need optical cables from these systems to the AVR.
post #63 of 87 Old 08-13-2010, 06:58 PM

Thanks for the reply, I had bought some DVD player software 2 years ago when I bought the original glasses/emitter... it wasn't very good, and did not play Blu-ray, only DVD.. I think the newest version of PowerDvd does 3d/Blu_ray, I will look into it.
post #64 of 87 Old 08-30-2010, 04:17 PM

Just got off the phone with a csr from Monster and he said late Nov. for a release date.
post #65 of 87 Old 09-12-2010, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 32
This thread does a great job summing up the various 3D TVs that are available. Is there a general consensus among AVSers as to which models are considered superior to the others? Thanks!
post #66 of 87 Old 09-15-2010, 07:41 PM

So if I am getting this right, the Mitsubishi DLP at Worst Buy can work at half HD with the transmitter and glasses, right??? AND Is it Nvidia 3D Vision compatible?

I will be using this TV as a bedroom tv, with wires ran from my computer room to play 3d games, and possibly 3d blurays.

And does anyone have a recommendation on where to look at a "half HD image" vs full hd?
post #67 of 87 Old 09-15-2010, 09:55 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by mydecember1985 View Post

So if I am getting this right, the Mitsubishi DLP at Worst Buy can work at half HD with the transmitter and glasses, right??? AND Is it Nvidia 3D Vision compatible?

I will be using this TV as a bedroom tv, with wires ran from my computer room to play 3d games, and possibly 3d blurays.

And does anyone have a recommendation on where to look at a "half HD image" vs full hd?

3D content from either DirecTV or Comcast will be Half HD while 3D content from 3D Bluray will be Full HD. You might try a Best Buy when you know there is a sports game scheduled to be broadcast in 3D from ESPN 3D.
post #68 of 87 Old 09-15-2010, 10:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post

3D content from either DirecTV or Comcast will be Half HD while 3D content from 3D Bluray will be Full HD. You might try a Best Buy when you know there is a sports game scheduled to be broadcast in 3D from ESPN 3D.

That's interesting. I hadn't heard that before. Are you saying that when Comcast and DirecTv broadcast HD, they are only using HALF the resolution of HD? That makes sense - half res for one eye + half res for the other eye = full HDTV. Am I correct to assume then that the overall PQ of 3D of broadcast 3D is much lower res (effectively half)? That's a bummer.
post #69 of 87 Old 09-15-2010, 10:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingdvd View Post

That's interesting. I hadn't heard that before. Are you saying that when Comcast and DirecTv broadcast HD, they are only using HALF the resolution of HD? That makes sense - half res for one eye + half res for the other eye = full HDTV. Am I correct to assume then that the overall PQ of 3D of broadcast 3D is much lower res (effectively half)? That's a bummer.

Comcast and DirecTV use what is called a Frame Compatible 3D format. It takes up the same bandwidth as a normal HD frame. They are using two types:

1920x1080i Side-by-Side:

The single 1920x1080 HD frame contains 2 individual frames (L & R) of which each has a resolution of 960x1080

1280x720P Top/Bottom:

The single 1280x720 HD frame contains 2 individual frames (L & R) of which each has a resolution of 1280x360

1920x1080x24P Frame Packed for 3D Bluray:

You are looking at a single frame. Each frame is 1920x2205 and contained in each frame are two 1920x1080 frames (L & R) which gives you the Full HD per eye.
post #70 of 87 Old 09-16-2010, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks. So in summary am I correct to assume that broadcast 3D (at least as it is currently being done by Comcast and DirecTv) gives only half of the 1080p resolution? That's pretty significant, yes?
post #71 of 87 Old 09-16-2010, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

This thread does a great job summing up the various 3D TVs that are available. Is there a general consensus among AVSers as to which models are considered superior to the others? Thanks!

Anyone have some suggestions on what sets are generally considered the best out there at the moment? Thanks.
post #72 of 87 Old 09-16-2010, 02:19 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:

Anyone have some suggestions on what sets are generally considered the best out there at the moment? Thanks.

1. Panasonic TC-P58VT25 3D plasma

2. Samsung PN58C8000 3D plasma

3. LG 55LX9500 3D LCD/LED Edge Lit

4. Sony KDL-55NX810 3D LCD/LED Edge Lit

5. Samsung UN58C8000 3D LCD/LED Precision Edge Lit

6. Sharp LC-60LE925UN 3D LCD/LED
post #73 of 87 Old 09-16-2010, 02:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Thanks. So in summary am I correct to assume that broadcast 3D (at least as it is currently being done by Comcast and DirecTv) gives only half of the 1080p resolution? That's pretty significant, yes?

I think that is a subjective issue. With SbS 1080i, the resolution (number of pixels) is still greater then 1280x720P HD.
post #74 of 87 Old 09-23-2010, 09:54 AM - Thread Starter

Added Sharp's new 52 and 60 inch 3DTVs
post #75 of 87 Old 09-24-2010, 01:14 PM

Does anyone know when the GT25 will be available in the States? I can't even find it online.
post #76 of 87 Old 09-24-2010, 03:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaborik View Post

Does anyone know when the GT25 will be available in the States? I can't even find it online.

Panasonic's 42" GT25 plasma 3D TV is now shipping for $1699

http://www.3d-display-info.com/panas...-shipping-1699
post #77 of 87 Old 09-25-2010, 11:01 AM

Quote:

Well i just saw the le925 tv yesterday here in Mexico city, went to the store since I was interested in a Sony lx900, I still have to check first a full review, but here are my impressions on both, having them side by side and both playing the same material on 3d.

On the lx900 the picture, after you put the glasses on, became dim while on the le925 the picture keepsl bright, almost as if you weren't using any glasses. The le925 has a nice and intelligent feature, on the glasses you can turn off the 3d effect, by doing this people who feel dizzy or those who dont like the effect can enjoy the picture on 2d while the rest watch it on 3d. As I said I think is a nice feature.

But what really set this tv apart from any samsung, Sony or panasonic is how bright you watch material on 3d, is like if you don't have any glasses on.

My two cents. Victor.
post #78 of 87 Old 09-25-2010, 09:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victorm1000 View Post

Well i just saw the le925 tv yesterday here in Mexico city, went to the store since I was interested in a Sony lx900, I still have to check first a full review, but here are my impressions on both, having them side by side and both playing the same material on 3d.

On the lx900 the picture, after you put the glasses on, became dim while on the le925 the picture keepsl bright, almost as if you weren't using any glasses. The le925 has a nice and intelligent feature, on the glasses you can turn off the 3d effect, by doing this people who feel dizzy or those who dont like the effect can enjoy the picture on 2d while the rest watch it on 3d. As I said I think is a nice feature.

But what really set this tv apart from any samsung, Sony or panasonic is how bright you watch material on 3d, is like if you don't have any glasses on.

My two cents. Victor.

Thanks for the great feedback. Besides the brightness difference, was there anything else significant in the difference in PQ between these two?
post #79 of 87 Old 09-27-2010, 08:49 AM

Thanks for the link. I just bought the VT25 after seeing the 2d to 3d conversion on a couple other makes. Unfortunately, I was not impressed.

Due to the lacking native 3D content, I figured I'd go with the plasma with the best 2D picture. Right now its sitting in box until someone can give me a hand mounting it to my stand. This is excruciating
post #80 of 87 Old 04-17-2011, 09:26 AM

The TCP55VT30 is coming at the end of this month. Does anyone know how it improves over the VT25? I have a 25 and I love it, but we want to put 3D into another room and haven't read much about the 30.

Any info would br appreciated.

"Those who do not remember the past are condemned to repeat it" --- George Santayana
post #81 of 87 Old 04-26-2012, 11:50 AM

So who's going to update this guide (not it!)? I've love to know all the different models that will work with my Panny ST30, especially since they're likely to be discontinued with the standardization moving to bluetooth.
post #82 of 87 Old 04-28-2012, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 95
FWIW - I work in the film industry - doing mostly 3DST film titles and vfx. I've really, really appreciated the forums here as I've been putting together a HT. Thought I'd share one bit of info from my field that may be helpful to folks looking for a 3DTV ...

Currently 65" is considered the magic number (or minimum size) for a 3DTV to closely replicate a 3D cinematic sense of depth, etc. This is one of the reasons Panasonic's pro-level 3D "Grading" (or Finishing) monitor is 65".

With 3D, screen size does matter somewhat simply because our eyes are physically a certain distance from each other (inter-occular distance). You can still get nice 3D with a smaller screen, but the overall "deepness" and distribution (or levels) of depth will always be somewhat reduced.

sdg
post #83 of 87 Old 08-18-2013, 01:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I don't know where else to post.. so if in the wrong area please move..
About 19 months ago I purchased a pair of "Samsung" SSG-3500CR / SSG-3700 USB rechargeable active shutter glasses... and now the battery will no longer hold a charge for about three hours.. long enough to watch one movie.. use to be I could watch a 3D movie every day for a week with out a charge ...Now "Samsung" customer support tells me that they do not offer any repair service (aka: replace) the rechargeable battery. Does anybody know where/who else might offer the service on these glasses?
Luck has it the other glasses that I purchased all have user replaceable batteries.
post #84 of 87 Old 09-18-2013, 07:45 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingdvd View Post

Subjectively the difference in quality doesn't have to be anywhere near "half". With MPEG as used in BRD and ATSC, the first thing that happens is that the color information gets cut in half relative to the brightness information. Sometimes this even happens before the image leaves the sensor (Reference 4:2:0 raw YUV encoding). This whole issue of side-by-side v over-under is important when you are throwing out color information either horizontally or vertically (see 4:2:0 v 4:1:1 encoding).

The broadcast engineers responsible for making this look good are every bit as huge a videophile as anyone on here, and they get knobs like "encoded bandwidth" that can make a *much* bigger difference than the frame packing, and the end result is any difference in quality between broadcast and BRD doesn't end up looking "pretty significant" most of the time [yes, weasel words here on my part] when everything is done right.

philip (dot) sosie (at)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Twitter
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
or
post #85 of 87 Old 02-21-2014, 02:24 PM

Liked: 67

I was wondering which Active 3D Glasses are considered to be the best for the Samsung F8500 ???  As i'm looking for comfort, fit and performance. And as I understand Samsung allows us to use other manufactures glasses as well.
I've read that some sync better than other Active Glasses with Bluetooth and others have better fields of view and so on....

what are your thoughts?

post #86 of 87 Old 03-09-2014, 03:34 PM

Liked: 67

I just WON this over @truedepth3d !!!

I entered their contest, you should check them out because even if I hadn't won I still really like these glasses much more than the Samsung Originals. They are crisper and give better light thru-put for a brighter image and they sync up perfectly no Ghosting.

The only down-side is that their sides are open and can let light in. So only for use in Night time 3D Viewing. However if you watch 3D seriously then you only watch at night anyways, so depends on the persons viewing habits.

These are a great option because their as cheap as the Samsung Originals but are a much Higher Quality without a doubt.

post #87 of 87 Old 06-02-2014, 10:17 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15

No man, what you do - and I admit it looks goofier than I want to admit to myself - is do what I do in theaters that don't dampen their lights enough - or their LED floor lights at all: Cut two black pieces of paper, fold, cut two slits near both ends, slide the ear pieces through, and it cuts out a whole lot of the light coming at you from the sides.

Hey, I said goofy, right?  But after having a movie ruined at a theater from the LED floor lights reflecting off the tiles, I came up with the idea and while they're not as good as custom made foam or cloth 'blinders' I haven't seen a 3D movie in a theater without them for over two years. 

Reply 3D Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P50vt25 50 Inch 1080p 3d Plasma Hdtv Black , Panasonic Viera Tc P54vt25 54 Inch 1080p 3d Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P58vt25 58 Inch 3d 1080p Viera Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page