Lighting Plan for Home to optimizing 3DTV - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 03-26-2010, 08:25 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
fkiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi, it's my first thread ever!

I'd like to talk about environment where 3DTV will be placed.
A main idea came from 3D TV experience in Sony Style, Philadelphia. I and my wife wore 3D glasses and got experienced that whole room was totally BLINKING. I turned around and finally found the source of blinking, which was fluorescent lamp on the top of Blu-ray shelf.

Then, I've just realized that to convert my AV life into 3D is not only to purchase 3D TV, but also to consider that my living room equips suitable lightings.

I think that regular light bulb also can't be a perfect choice, because of a nature of AC(alternating current).

Anyone has an idea for this? Does any light company announce such product?
fkiller is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 Old 03-26-2010, 03:32 PM
Advanced Member
 
peter0328's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 876
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Standard light bulbs are what you should use. Fluorescents or CFLs are the worst. I recommend GE Reveal brand lol.

Of course you should also have the lights OFF when you are viewing anything on your HDTV....
peter0328 is offline  
post #3 of 9 Old 03-29-2010, 09:31 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
fkiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for replying peter0328.

I'm thinking that lighting system with DC(Direct Current) converter would be the best choice for 3DTV Environment. Most standard bulb can work with DC, and it will have theoretically no blinking at all.

Also, I'd expect that Europe should have even more problem with this, because their electricity is 50hz, which is not match with 120hz/240hz display rate.
fkiller is offline  
post #4 of 9 Old 03-29-2010, 09:35 AM
 
Lee Stewart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 19,369
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by fkiller View Post

Thanks for replying peter0328.

I'm thinking that lighting system with DC(Direct Current) converter would be the best choice for 3DTV Environment. Most standard bulb can work with DC, and it will have theoretically no blinking at all.

Also, I'd expect that Europe should have even more problem with this, because their electricity is 50hz, which is not match with 120hz/240hz display rate.

Europe uses 100Hz and 200Hz, compared to our 120/240Hz. They even use 400Hz versus our 480Hz.

Their frame rate is based on 25 versus our 24. Power is 220V versus 120V for the USA
Lee Stewart is offline  
post #5 of 9 Old 03-29-2010, 11:14 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
fkiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks, Lee. It's something that I didn't know.

However, I'm still not sure that same multiples could eliminate every uncomfortable especially from light source. Is there any study or research for this? I really wonder how much portion of uncomfortably is coming from light.

I went to SonyStyle in King of Prussia, last Sunday, tried 3DTV, and still got dizziness when I watched for 30 mins.
fkiller is offline  
post #6 of 9 Old 03-29-2010, 11:22 AM
 
Lee Stewart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 19,369
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by fkiller View Post

Thanks, Lee. It's something that I didn't know.

However, I'm still not sure that same multiples could eliminate every uncomfortable especially from light source. Is there any study or research for this? I really wonder how much portion of uncomfortably is coming from light.

I went to SonyStyle in King of Prussia, last Sunday, tried 3DTV, and still got dizziness when I watched for 30 mins.

Remember - the wiring in your home is shielded. The main culprits for affecting 3D performance will be Flouresent lights and Incandescent bulbs on a dimmer which supposedly can interfere with IR signals.

IMO, one cause of ghosting - as it relates to power - could be a ground loop issue because they do affect the image in 2D, so it will be worse in 3D
Lee Stewart is offline  
post #7 of 9 Old 03-29-2010, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jbug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 3,579
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 41
My lighting plan is to turn off all the lights and close the blinds (lol).
jbug is offline  
post #8 of 9 Old 03-29-2010, 01:48 PM
Advanced Member
 
Steve P.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 769
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
That's the best plan, and is what those of us who have had field sequential 3-D setups have done for years. I usually even wait for dark!
Steve P. is offline  
post #9 of 9 Old 03-29-2010, 05:01 PM
Advanced Member
 
peter0328's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 876
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbug View Post

My lighting plan is to turn off all the lights and close the blinds (lol).

This is also my plan for movie and tv viewing. For gaming (Project Natal) I'll probably need the lights on so I'm not falling onto things lol
peter0328 is offline  
Reply 3D Displays

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off