Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 40 Old 05-26-2010, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1249337

post 6.

If I pay $150 fo these 3d glasses I want them to be halfway decent,when I buy an xtra pair I might buy the universal xpand ones.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 40 Old 05-26-2010, 03:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LORDLICH View Post

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1249337

post 6.

If I pay $150 fo these 3d glasses I want them to be halfway decent,when I buy an xtra pair I might buy the universal xpand ones.

...Again, that post refers to a Best Buy store environment where hundreds of people are mis-handling the glasses. The cord they have on them for security is also too short causing many of them to break from stress when suddenly snapping back with a person goes to sit down with them on.
post #33 of 40 Old 05-26-2010, 04:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter0328 View Post

...Again, that post refers to a Best Buy store environment where hundreds of people are mis-handling the glasses. The cord they have on them for security is also too short causing many of them to break from stress when suddenly snapping back with a person goes to sit down with them on.

The ones I seen had no security cords they were locked in little plastic/glass see through container.
post #34 of 40 Old 05-26-2010, 07:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by LORDLICH View Post

The ones I seen had no security cords they were locked in little plastic/glass see through container.

What prevented you from putting them in your pocket and walking out when the sales person was distracted?
post #35 of 40 Old 05-27-2010, 06:03 PM
Advanced Member

Sears has them in a glass box sort of thing under the 3DTV but they are connected via the USB charging cord and security cord.

Best Buy has them placed in little rectangular boxes between the two seats. It is secured via the same method and as many people have found the cord is too short. When you go to sit in the seat and put the glasses on they snap back before they reach your head causing internal stress on the glasses which leads to the broken units people have been seeing.
post #36 of 40 Old 05-28-2010, 01:50 AM - Thread Starter

The ones I have seen at sears and BB here have no security cord just locked in a glass container,there are more then one sales associate so nobody is going to steal them while they are watching,they have them locked up before and after you try them.
post #37 of 40 Old 05-29-2010, 03:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by walford View Post

What prevented you from putting them in your pocket and walking out when the sales person was distracted?

Honesty?

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb

post #38 of 40 Old 04-07-2012, 11:16 PM

I bought two pairs of the CR-3500 Samsung glasses for my D7000 I just bought in March. Have had them for two weeks. One pair went dead after about a week. One side wouldn't kick on when 3D went active. Pairing and everything worked, one lens just wouldn't shutter. I just took that pair back to BB yesterday, now today, my other pair stopped- same problem. Left lens won't shutter.

However, I think I figured out why. At least with the latest pair, I had just cleaned off the lenses. I was very careful, used a microfiber cloth with just a tad bit of dampness to it. However, I've read online that you shouldn't clean both sides of the lenses at once because of the layers built into the lens. Now I was very careful and didn't hold the glasses by the lens or anything but that's clearly what happened to break them.

Now, seriously? $70 or more for a pair of glasses that you can break by handling them more gently than you would a pair of RayBans? I think that's a bit ridiculous. Still, at least I've learned what the issue is. I know I had cleaned the other pair before they broke. Be careful with these glasses people! Again, I think that's a ridiculous quality of build, but it is what it is.

All you have to do is decide what to do with the time given to you....
post #39 of 40 Old 04-08-2012, 12:56 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post

Unfortunately, this is one of those situations in which the manufacturers are really going to stick it to the early adopters, and try to squeeze them for every nickel. Right now, the glasses are cheaply made, and way overpriced. Over time, the glasses will be made better, and get cheaper. A double whammy to the peeps paying $150 a pair for these things right now.

The thing I'm worried about, is that this whole 3D thing isn't necessarily a slam dunk, and I think the TV manufacturers could be making a short sighted mistake, that could end up biting them in the arse when it's all said and done. The old adage "screw me once, shame on you, screw me twice, shame on me", might apply in the this situation. You could end up having people dropping 3 grand, 4 grand, even 5 grand on 3D bundles, and then ultimately the experience is ruined with cheapo, crappy glasses that aren't built well enough. The consumer is going to say the hell with 3D, if this is a common experience. Nobody wants to deal with this kind of service. The CE companies need 3D to become a factor, because it will be a revenue driver for the next 5 to 7 years, but if they get too greedy, and try to over-milk the early customers, it's going to come back to haunt them when 3D doesn't catch on because of these dirty tactics.

I think with almost two years removed from this post, might warrant discussion on not necessarily the post topic, but the warnings discussed here. Is this the way things are headed? It is pretty clear that 3d hasn't necessarily caught on or even really made much of a dent in the past 2 years are the misconceptions and more importantly the actual demos themselves inside Best Buy and other retailers to blame for the anemic adoption rate of 3d?
post #40 of 40 Old 04-09-2012, 06:20 AM

Liked: 11
My pn59D550 came with 1 pair, and a second pair in the shrek kit. I also bought 2 more pairs for $60 each.

All 4 pairs still working fine 9 months later.

However they are very VERY susceptible to micro-scratches. Everything can scratch them, including the microfiber cloths. Any dust particles are rubbed against the glasses, and leave tiny permanent micro-scratches. All four of my glasses have the scratches, and I'm crazy anal about how they are handled. A home with kids would ruin them pretty fast.

Another big complaint is the extra width of the glasses around the sides of your head (near the temples), light comes in from behind and reflects into your eyes. If I block that space with my hands the reflections dissapear, I'm tempted to tape on some cloth or cardboard to block the reflections, they are THAT annoying.

In short, these glasses are cheap junk. Very dissapointed.
Reply 3D Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page