Samsung 3d glasses cheaply made??? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 40 Old 04-20-2010, 02:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The glasses at both the local sears and BB are already broken,mind you that is only 4 pair but looking at them they would not last the weekend with anybody`s kids,and they are $150 a pop,are all these glasses gonna be made like this????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 Old 04-20-2010, 03:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Haven't gotten mine yet, but I have played with the rechargeable samsung glasses. they seem to be built solid enough, but they are glasses if you mistreat them as with any set of glasses aside from goggles they will break. people always break the instore try me gadgets. I have seen ps3, 360 controllers busted, Ds broken. These things are sturdy but they will get broken in a store. I would think most people will take care of their 3d glasses, I feel yeah they can break but so can everything else. The set I tried didn't seem like they would just break from normal use.
post #3 of 40 Old 04-20-2010, 03:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 46
The rechargeable Samsung glasses at the Sears store where I work were connected to the display with their recharging cables to keep them charged up. There was a steel cable clamped to the recharging cable and the frame of the glasses with too much slack. As a result after a month the electrical connector on the glasses frames worked loose rendering the glasses useless. This was primarily due to the fact that the charging cables were so short that customers kept straining the connection trying to get a more than 3-4 feet back from the screen. In normal use the cable would not be connected to the set, so this would not be an issue. The glasses seem to be at least as well made as a typical game controller.

Judging the durability of glasses based on failure in the extremely abusive store demo situation is ludicrous, and if you can't train your kids to treat things like this with a minimal amount of care I hardly think the mfgs. can be blamed. Perhaps a solution would be to keep the glasses away from the kids unless you are there to supervise them.

There was a time when parents didn't risk letting kids destroy expensive things either by not letting them play with them or by training them to use care when using them. It probably didn't hurt their delicate little egos one bit.

Steve S.
post #4 of 40 Old 04-20-2010, 04:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve S View Post

Judging the durability of glasses based on failure in the extremely abusive store demo situation is ludicrous......

100% agree.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #5 of 40 Old 04-20-2010, 05:41 PM
Advanced Member

As long as you don't tether the glasses with a 3ft cord, you'll have better luck.
post #6 of 40 Old 04-20-2010, 06:04 PM - Thread Starter

The glasses I saw looked cheaply made,the ones at the movie theater were more sturdy/durable, are these demo glasses different??? $150 a pair the glasses I saw were not worth it.
post #7 of 40 Old 04-20-2010, 06:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LORDLICH View Post

The glasses I saw looked cheaply made,the ones at the movie theater were more sturdy/durable, are these demo glasses different??? $150 a pair the glasses I saw were not worth it.

The demo glasses are the ones for $150. The ones you saw at the theater, if they were active stereo, are about $450 a pair.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #8 of 40 Old 04-21-2010, 12:35 PM

I have both e battery and recharable Samsung glasses. I'm thinking about returning the rechargable glasses because I'm noticing some reflactions from the glasses frame during certian scenes in a dark room. The frames are really shiney and refelctonto the glasses. Samsung luvs shiney things dont' they? Shiney screens, shiney red borders on TVs, and now shiney frames on their recharable glasses. I'll give them a few more chances with other movies but the glare was annoying for $200. I didn't notice the same glare with the battery operated glasses. Does anyone else have the same issue?
post #9 of 40 Old 04-21-2010, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter

No I was talking about the ones they give you and recycle.
post #10 of 40 Old 05-16-2010, 02:37 PM

I just installed a 58" samsung 3d tv, with the Samsung 6900 bluray 3d player, and so I got the 3d starter pack free. It comes with 2 pairs of e battery glasses and the monsters vs aliens disc. One of the glasses worked for an hour and then developed a completely dark right frame. After another hour, the dark spot actually began to fade away and look normal again, but the 3d effect was non-existentant. Guess I gotta take em back and see if I can swap em out... $150 is an absolute outrage for these cheap pieces of garbage.
post #11 of 40 Old 05-16-2010, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H View Post

The demo glasses are the ones for $150. The ones you saw at the theater, if they were active stereo, are about $450 a pair.

They are not the same product, but in comparison to the Samsung glasses, the XPanD X102s are very ruggedly built. The XPands are sold to digital theaters around the world, and as such are waterproof, and made to take some real world handling. And at @ $150 a pair, they stack up well in that price point. My point is this: Samsung should be able to make a set of more resilient 3D glasses that is better built at that price. Of the two pairs that were on display at my local BB, one has been removed ( I assume broken completely), and the remaining pair has been broken and taped together at the nose bridge. IMHO, that does not bode well for kids who might be a little tougher on these.

---Chris
post #12 of 40 Old 05-16-2010, 10:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by browela86 View Post

$150 is an absolute outrage for these cheap pieces of garbage.

Unfortunately, this is one of those situations in which the manufacturers are really going to stick it to the early adopters, and try to squeeze them for every nickel. Right now, the glasses are cheaply made, and way overpriced. Over time, the glasses will be made better, and get cheaper. A double whammy to the peeps paying $150 a pair for these things right now.

The thing I'm worried about, is that this whole 3D thing isn't necessarily a slam dunk, and I think the TV manufacturers could be making a short sighted mistake, that could end up biting them in the arse when it's all said and done. The old adage "screw me once, shame on you, screw me twice, shame on me", might apply in the this situation. You could end up having people dropping 3 grand, 4 grand, even 5 grand on 3D bundles, and then ultimately the experience is ruined with cheapo, crappy glasses that aren't built well enough. The consumer is going to say the hell with 3D, if this is a common experience. Nobody wants to deal with this kind of service. The CE companies need 3D to become a factor, because it will be a revenue driver for the next 5 to 7 years, but if they get too greedy, and try to over-milk the early customers, it's going to come back to haunt them when 3D doesn't catch on because of these dirty tactics.
post #13 of 40 Old 05-17-2010, 08:08 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Don't those glasses come with a warranty? What about getting a Best Buy extended warranty on the glasses.
post #14 of 40 Old 05-17-2010, 09:00 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 49
I imagine they would come with a warranty but it wouldn't cover stupidity or carelessness and nor should it.
post #15 of 40 Old 05-17-2010, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbcdesign View Post

I imagine they would come with a warranty but it wouldn't cover stupidity or carelessness and nor should it.

Well, some places have warranties on a Sony PSP, where they will give you a new one if you crack the screen "accidently". The warranties are pricey, but if a little kid is going to use it, it's not a bad idea. I have two small boys, and I know how easily something can get screwed up by them. No way in hell I'd get $150 glasses and not have some kind of warranty covering just about everything imaginable.

I actually have shutter glasses right now, the Samsung SSG1000 kit. It was the shutterglasses that they made for their "so called" 3D ready DLP and plasmas from a couple of years ago. I let my kids use them sometimes, but I make sure to keep an eye on them while they are using them, to make sure they don't jack them up. The thing is, these shutterglasses cost about $65 each, so it's not quite $150 sitting on their heads, but still. The biggest danger is when somebody sets the glasses on the carpet right by the sofa. It's easy to forget that you set them there, and then later somebody walks by and accidentally steps on them. Thats the biggest worry. I've seen my glasses sitting on the ground a couple of times, and quickly picked them up and put them out of reach of the kids.
post #16 of 40 Old 05-18-2010, 04:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H View Post

The Samsung rechargeable glasses used in the demo are $200.

Active stereo cinema glasses are XpanD X101 which cost $109 according to their online consumer store.
post #17 of 40 Old 05-19-2010, 06:55 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Is Samsung still giving away free glasses? Maybe that will off set the charge a little...
post #18 of 40 Old 05-22-2010, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter

Is not xpand making univeral 3d glasses?? I hope so because even the panasonics are not the greatest.
post #19 of 40 Old 05-22-2010, 03:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have not found where the Xpand X103 glases are being sold yet and am not even sure that they have been released.

http://www.xpandcinema.com/products/glasses/X103-home/
post #20 of 40 Old 05-22-2010, 05:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by walford View Post

I have not found where the Xpand X103 glases are being sold yet and am not even sure that they have been released.

http://www.xpandcinema.com/products/glasses/X103-home/

June release date.
post #21 of 40 Old 05-22-2010, 06:47 PM

Liked: 44
Quote:

The glasses at both the local sears and BB are already broken,mind you that is only 4 pair but looking at them they would not last the weekend with anybody`s kids,and they are $150 a pop,are all these glasses gonna be made like this????

You have what? A hundred different people per day putting their grubby little hands on a percision product with no cares about how they treat it - why should they - it isn't theirs.

One would hope that education and warnings would be given to children BEFORE they are allowed to get their hands on them when it is their product.
post #22 of 40 Old 05-22-2010, 08:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post

You have what? A hundred different people per day putting their grubby little hands on a percision product with no cares about how they treat it - why should they - it isn't theirs.

One would hope that education and warnings would be given to children BEFORE they are allowed to get their hands on them when it is their product.

Take a look at them,they are cheap and did not last more then a few days and definitely not handled by a hundred people.
post #23 of 40 Old 05-22-2010, 11:40 PM

Quote:

Take a look at them,they are cheap and did not last more then a few days and definitely not handled by a hundred people.

I saw them. They are made to look like sunglasses as opposed to 3D glasses which can have more of an industrial look - like the XpanD glasses.

I have been to BB 3X looking not only at their 3DTV demo but also people's reactions. Each time I was there for an hour. Each time, at least 15 different people handled the glasses. So some anecedotal observations along with a little math.

What do you have to offer?
post #24 of 40 Old 05-23-2010, 11:25 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post

I saw them. They are made to look like sunglasses as opposed to 3D glasses which can have more of an industrial look - like the XpanD glasses.

I have been to BB 3X looking not only at their 3DTV demo but also people's reactions. Each time I was there for an hour. Each time, at least 15 different people handled the glasses. So some anecedotal observations along with a little math.

What do you have to offer?

I have been to bb and sears they both have them they are cheap did not last,other people stated that too,the workers stated that they are cheap too...not meant to last one customer said,lets talk about math 4 out of 4 failed broken pieces of crap=100% failure,now if they do not last a few days how are they going to last years in the real world,maybe if you put them up on a pedastal where nobody can actually use them,mind you we are talking real world use,there are also different types of samsung glasses,which ones did you see???
post #25 of 40 Old 05-23-2010, 01:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The following descibes the 3 types they have announced:

http://www.samsung.com/us/function/s...active+glasses
post #26 of 40 Old 05-23-2010, 04:09 PM

Quote:

I have been to bb and sears they both have them they are cheap did not last,other people stated that too,the workers stated that they are cheap too...not meant to last one customer said,lets talk about math 4 out of 4 failed broken pieces of crap=100% failure,now if they do not last a few days how are they going to last years in the real world,maybe if you put them up on a pedastal where nobody can actually use them,mind you we are talking real world use,there are also different types of samsung glasses,which ones did you see???

The rechargable type
post #27 of 40 Old 05-23-2010, 05:09 PM - Thread Starter

The ones I saw were rechargeable usb also,plugged in from the top and you could see the plastic wearing down on the inside after a few charges,I find it disappointing that these companies cannot make these glasses durable and reliable,for 150$ they should be halfway decent and not be like the throwaways from the movie theater(which are similar but are only $3)
post #28 of 40 Old 05-24-2010, 02:08 PM
Advanced Member

The opinions about ruggedness or reliability for the Samsung glasses mentioned in this thread based on the demo glasses at Best Buy and Sears are pointless.

As mentioned by other members here, the glasses put up with tons of abuse from hundreds of people who do not care about the glasses everyday in this environment.

At your house you will not be throwing glasses around and will not need to deal with the extremely short cable. The cable at the demos is what causes most of the damage since people attempt to sit normally but the cable pulls the glasses back causing internal and sometimes external damage to the charging system and plastic frame.
post #29 of 40 Old 05-24-2010, 07:28 PM - Thread Starter

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
TELL it to this guy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by browela86 View Post

I just installed a 58" samsung 3d tv, with the Samsung 6900 bluray 3d player, and so I got the 3d starter pack free. It comes with 2 pairs of e battery glasses and the monsters vs aliens disc. One of the glasses worked for an hour and then developed a completely dark right frame. After another hour, the dark spot actually began to fade away and look normal again, but the 3d effect was non-existentant. Guess I gotta take em back and see if I can swap em out... $150 is an absolute outrage for these cheap pieces of garbage.

post #30 of 40 Old 05-25-2010, 06:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
TELL it to this guy.

lol I thought the battery powered ones looked like crap. I didn't trust the exposed bottom style but that seems more like a manufacturing defect compared to most of this thread referring to the structural integrity of the units.
Reply 3D Displays