Would you purchase a reasonably priced Checkerboard Converter for your 3D ready DLP? - Page 4 - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: Would you buy a reasonably priced Checkerboard Converter for your 3D ready DLP HDTV?
Yes 0 0%
No 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 148 Old 06-09-2010, 02:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Yes, the Pannasonic player supports it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 148 Old 06-09-2010, 02:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

I thought the Panasonic player supported it?

It does, got my 300 working on my Samsung right now. Just need the glasses. Well, and a movie.

But short of a PC solution, the Panna seems to be it for Samsung DLP owners.
post #93 of 148 Old 06-09-2010, 05:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geaux Tigers View Post

My Gefen HDMI Detective arrived today. I took it over to a friends A/V Business and hooked it up to a Mitsubishi 3D ready DLP and it captured the EDID. I currently have the HDMI Detective hooked up to my Samsung 61A750 and the picture looks the same to me. I will connect the Mitsubishi 3D Checkerboard Converter when it arrives to my Samsung 61A750 using the HDMI Detective and hopefully I will be enjoying 3D.

I called Gefen today. The 4 dip switch on the HDMI Detective has to be in the on position to support HDCP. You switch it to this position after you program the EDID of the HDTV into the HDMI Detective. I simply called them to make sure I had followed all of the steps properly. The representative told me that from everything that I described to him that I had followed the instructions properly. I shared with him why I bought the HDMI Detective and he told me that he thought I would be successful in getting the Mitsubishi 3D Checkerboard Converter to work with my Samsung 61A750 HDTV. He asked me to call back after I received the Mitsubishi 3D Checkerboard Converter to let them know if it worked. I will report back on this thread to let everyone know if it worked as well.
post #94 of 148 Old 06-09-2010, 05:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

I called Gefen today. The 4 dip switch on the HDMI Detective has to be in the on position to support HDCP. You switch it to this position after you program the EDID of the HDTV into the HDMI Detective. I simply called them to make sure I had followed all of the steps properly. The representative told me that from everything that I described to him that I had followed the instructions properly. I shared with him why I bought the HDMI Detective and he told me that he thought I would be successful in getting the Mitsubishi 3D Checkerboard Converter to work with my Samsung 61A750 HDTV. He asked me to call back after I received the Mitsubishi 3D Checkerboard Converter to let them know if it worked. I will report back on this thread to let everyone know if it worked as well.

Sounds great. Thanks for the effort.

PSN - Mr_Frisch
XBL - Mr Frisch
Steam - Sneaky Pete
post #95 of 148 Old 06-09-2010, 07:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjb16 View Post

Sounds great. Thanks for the effort.

Yeah +1 that. Looking forward to the results.
post #96 of 148 Old 06-10-2010, 09:36 AM

Definate buy for $100 to $150. Also, I think that it will hit the market this fall. I have no sources, but you'd think that a market of 4+ million consumers would appeal to someone.
post #97 of 148 Old 06-12-2010, 02:57 PM
Advanced Member

Yes, Samsung HL61A750 owner here. I was all excited to try PS3 in 3D on my tv, then started reading, then crying.
post #98 of 148 Old 06-15-2010, 11:16 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 21
+1 Looking forward to hearing the results of your experiment Geaux.

Enjoying BF4 on the PS4, bugs and all.
post #99 of 148 Old 06-15-2010, 03:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I just talked to Electronic Warehouse which is the store that I ordered my Mitsubishi 3D Checkerboard Converter from and they tell me that Mitsubishi pushed back the ship date of its converter until July 24 for shipment. I guess I will have to wait even longer to now hopefully have 3D on my Samsung HL61A750. Maybe the word leaked out that some Samsung owners such as myself had discovered the Gefen HDMI Detective and the big brains at Mitsubishi are trying to figure out how to screw us again.
post #100 of 148 Old 06-15-2010, 04:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

I just talked to Electronic Warehouse which is the store that I ordered my Mitsubishi 3D Checkerboard Converter from and they tell me that Mitsubishi pushed back the ship date of its converter until July 24 for shipment. I guess I will have to wait even longer to now hopefully have 3D on my Samsung HL61A750. Maybe the word leaked out that some Samsung owners such as myself had discovered the Gefen HDMI Detective and the big brains at Mitsubishi are trying to figure out how to screw us again.

I highly doubt Mitsubishi is trying to screw you out of possibly finding a work around.

PSN - Mr_Frisch
XBL - Mr Frisch
Steam - Sneaky Pete
post #101 of 148 Old 06-15-2010, 06:41 PM
zxa

Quote:

even more if never it work, we gonna be able to buy any brand of the new blu-ray 3d player...it just gonna opening all door to us...this is why i"ll wait before a move!
post #102 of 148 Old 06-15-2010, 08:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjb16 View Post

I highly doubt Mitsubishi is trying to screw you out of possibly finding a work around.

I meant it as a joke but you never know.
post #103 of 148 Old 06-17-2010, 12:25 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 21
Quote:

I meant it as a joke but you never know.

I imagine they're trying to make sure it works with the new PS3 3D games on all of their TVs. Perhaps it didn't work, and now they're having to make changes for it to work. Nothing I've seen about this adapter has indicated that it will be firmware upgradeable, so Mits has to make sure it will work with all current and reasonably foreseeable 3D implementations. It would suck for them to market and sell this adapter to make their TVs compatible with the new 3D, only to have a new implementation come out in 6 months that it doesn't work with. I think they're trying to wait till all the broadcast tv (direct, comcast, dish, etc.) are available so they can do real testing with the actual product. If it's not firmware upgradeable, then they don't really get a second chance to do it right. IMHO.

Enjoying BF4 on the PS4, bugs and all.
post #104 of 148 Old 06-18-2010, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mounta1n View Post

I imagine they're trying to make sure it works with the new PS3 3D games on all of their TVs. Perhaps it didn't work, and now they're having to make changes for it to work. Nothing I've seen about this adapter has indicated that it will be firmware upgradeable, so Mits has to make sure it will work with all current and reasonably foreseeable 3D implementations. It would suck for them to market and sell this adapter to make their TVs compatible with the new 3D, only to have a new implementation come out in 6 months that it doesn't work with. I think they're trying to wait till all the broadcast tv (direct, comcast, dish, etc.) are available so they can do real testing with the actual product. If it's not firmware upgradeable, then they don't really get a second chance to do it right. IMHO.

Don't read too much into the shipping delay. It's a new product being introduced, and production delays happen all the time. It is my experience that delivery deadlines are usually missed for one reason or another, having only to do with hiccups in the production process. There's a lot to go wrong, from parts suppliers all the way down to quality issues, such as the wrong ink color on the boxes.

Edit: It is also my experience that people don't want to admit that they may miss a deadline until the last possible moment, which would explain the lateness of the change.

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb

post #105 of 148 Old 06-18-2010, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augerhandle View Post

Don't read too much into the shipping delay. It's a new product being introduced, and production delays happen all the time. It is my experience that delivery deadlines are usually missed for one reason or another, having only to do with hiccups in the production process. There's a lot to go wrong, from parts suppliers all the way down to quality issues, such as the wrong ink color on the boxes.

Edit: It is also my experience that people don't want to admit that they may miss a deadline until the last possible moment, which would explain the lateness of the change.

spot on great answer
post #106 of 148 Old 06-20-2010, 04:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Here is an article on the Gefen HDMI Detective and how it can be used to enable 3D Support on some HDTVs including possibly the Samsung.

http://hd.engadget.com/2010/06/20/ho...-to-output-3d/
post #107 of 148 Old 06-22-2010, 11:41 AM

This is the response from REALD when I asked if their POD converter would allow me to watch DIRECTV 3D on my Samsung HL61A750:

" Not at this time. "

Best,

Kevin

Kevin Faul | Vice President Business Development

RealD PRO

100 North Crescent Drive, Suite 120

Beverly Hills, CA 90210

(P) +1 310 385 4021 | (F) +1 310 385 4001 | kfaul@reald.com

www.reald.com
post #108 of 148 Old 06-22-2010, 03:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

According to this article, Samsung representatives stated at a recent press conference that the Mitsubishi Converter should work with the Samsung 3D ready DLP HDTVs. Maybe Mitsubishi abandoned the EDID protection scheme but I doubt it.

http://broadcastengineering.com/prod...-3-d-20100622/
post #109 of 148 Old 06-22-2010, 10:22 PM

Quote:

According to this article, Samsung representatives stated at a recent press conference that the Mitsubishi Converter should work with the Samsung 3D ready DLP HDTVs. Maybe Mitsubishi abandoned the EDID protection scheme but I doubt it.

Is it possible it's only Mitsubishi's marketing department that wants us to believe the adapter only works with Mitsubishi TVs? I have the Samsung HL-T5687S and a PS3 and am anxiously awaiting word on how this device works out...
post #110 of 148 Old 06-22-2010, 10:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by neuromancer1 View Post

Is it possible it's only Mitsubishi's marketing department that wants us to believe the adapter only works with Mitsubishi TVs? I have the Samsung HL-T5687S and a PS3 and am anxiously awaiting word on how this device works out...

As long as we're throwing rumors around, perhaps the recent delay in shipping the adapters is to allow a change enabling Samsung EDIDs...

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb

post #111 of 148 Old 06-22-2010, 10:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Scenario:

1. Mitsubishi creates a 3D adapter, and naturally uses its own EDIDs in the process.

2. Mitsubishi hears of the Samsung owners wanting to use the adapter and issues a press release to warn them about the EDID issue.

3. Mitsubishi decides to change the EDIDs, and delays release while the changes take place, in response to the high demand from Samsung owners.

Or NOT.

post #112 of 148 Old 06-23-2010, 08:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
The EDIDs coming from the TVs containg the manufacture name and model number. The adapter checks these fields then only outputs to its own 3D ready sets
post #113 of 148 Old 06-24-2010, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard767 View Post

Whenever one comes available.

Samsung HL67A750

Same here. Same model too.
post #114 of 148 Old 06-24-2010, 02:09 PM

Mitsubishi confirms no Samsung support for the 3DA-1 adapter.

Quote:

Millions of Samsung 3D-compatible TVs were sold in those years, however, so we assumed Mitsubishi would be happy to step in and allow its box to work with those sets. When we asked Mitsubishi's reps why they decided not to support those TVs, they cited customer support hassles (they didn't want customers to blame Mitsubishi for problems that were the fault of another company) and that not all Samsung models could accept a 1080p input via HDMI.

Source: CNET
post #115 of 148 Old 06-26-2010, 08:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

According to CNET, the Mitsubishi 3D Checkerboard Converter is now shipping. They also confirmed that it will not work with Samsung 3D ready DLPs out of the box. I will be reporting back on how it works when combined with my Gefen HDMI Detective on my Samsung HL61A750.

Here is a link to the article:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-20008699-1.html
post #116 of 148 Old 06-27-2010, 06:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Jut for the heck of it try the adapter without the Geffen HDMI Detective and let us know the results.
post #117 of 148 Old 06-28-2010, 11:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I talked to Electronics Warehouse today and they told me that Mitsubishi decided to ship the 3D Checkerboard Converter Starter Pack before the 3D Checkerboard Converter. They expect the 3D Checkerboard Converter to ship towards the end of July. This is contrary to the CNET report.
post #118 of 148 Old 06-29-2010, 10:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

I talked to Electronics Warehouse today and they told me that Mitsubishi decided to ship the 3D Checkerboard Converter Starter Pack before the 3D Checkerboard Converter. They expect the 3D Checkerboard Converter to ship towards the end of July. This is contrary to the CNET report.

Ya, but remember, no one can get a strait answer from Mits either.
post #119 of 148 Old 06-29-2010, 09:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

TRU3D is selling a 3D Checkerboard Converter for the Samsung but it has a pre-order price of $309.99. The adapter includes the Mitsubishi 3D Checkerboard Converter and what appears to be a Gefen HDMI Detective Plus. Here is the link:

http://www.tru3d.com/products/view_product.php?id=31003

Here are the specifications:

Inputs

HDMI 1.4a: 1
VESA Emitter 3 pin jack: 1
5 Volt DC Power: 1
Outputs

HDMI: 1
VESA Emitter 3 pin jack: 1
3D Mode Input Compatibility

Full HD 1080 (per HDMI) (Blu-ray): 1920 x 2205 24Hz
Full HD 720 (per HDMI) (Blu-ray): 1280 x 1470 60Hz
Top/Bottom 1080p 24Hz: 1920 x 1080
Top/Bottom 1080p 30Hz: 1920 x 1080
Top/Bottom 1080p 60Hz: 1920 x 1080
Top/Bottom 1080i 60Hz: 1920 x 1080
Top/Bottom 720p 60Hz: 1280 x 720
Side-by-Side 1080p 24Hz: 1920 x 1080
Side-by-Side 1080p 30Hz: 1920 x 1080
Side-by-Side 1080p 60Hz: 1920 x 1080
Side-by-Side 1080i 60Hz: 1920 x 1080
Side-by-Side 720p 60Hz: 1280 x 720
3D Signal Output

Checkerboard 3D 1080p 60Hz
Checkerboard 3D 1080p 60Hz Signal Pass Through Compatibility
Video Signal 2D Pass Through Output

1080p 24Hz/30Hz/60Hz
1080i 60Hz
720p 60Hz
480p 60Hz
480i 60Hz
PC Signals

Checkerboard 3D 1920 x 1080 60Hz
1280 x 1024 60Hz
1360 x 768 60Hz
1024 x 768 60Hz
800 x 600 60Hz

This 3D Adapter KIT will enable plug and play connectivity with 3D ready video sources including but not limited to the Sony PlayStation 3, 3D Blu-Ray Players, the XboX 360 and HD cable-boxes offered by Comcast, DirecTV, AT&T Uverse, Veriozon FIOS, BrightHouse Networks, SKY and others.

The 3D Adapter KIT Supports the Following Samsung 3D DLP HDTV models:

Samsung HL-T5076S 50" (127cm) 1920x1080 (1080P) checkerboard 3D Lamp DLP
Samsung HL-T5087S 50" (127cm) 1920x1080 (1080P) checkerboard 3D LED DLP
Samsung HL-T5089S 50" (127cm) 1920x1080 (1080P) checkerboard 3D LED DLP
Samsung HL50A650 50" (127cm) 1920x1080 (1080P) checkerboard 3D Lamp DLP
Samsung HL-T5676S 56" (142cm) 1920x1080 (1080P) checkerboard 3D Lamp DLP
Samsung HL-T5687S 56" (142cm) 1920x1080 (1080P) checkerboard 3D LED DLP
Samsung HL-T5689S 56" (142cm) 1920x1080 (1080P) checkerboard 3D LED DLP
Samsung HL56A650 56" (142cm) 1920x1080 (1080P) checkerboard 3D Lamp DLP
Samsung HL-T6176S 61" (155cm) 1920x1080 (1080P) checkerboard 3D Lamp DLP
Samsung HL-T6187S 61" (155cm) 1920x1080 (1080P) checkerboard 3D LED DLP
Samsung HL-T6189S 61" (155cm) 1920x1080 (1080P) checkerboard 3D LED DLP
Samsung HL61A650 61" (155cm) 1920x1080 (1080P) checkerboard 3D Lamp DLP
Samsung HL61A750 61" (155cm) 1920x1080 (1080P) checkerboard 3D LED DLP
Samsung HL67A750 67" (170cm) 1920x1080 (1080P) checkerboard 3D LED DLP
Samsung HL72A650 72" (183cm) 1920x1080 (1080P) checkerboard 3D Lamp DLP
Samsung HL-T7288W 72" (183cm) 1920x1080 (1080P) checkerboard 3D Lamp DLP

This 3D Adapter KIT Does NOT Support the Following Samsung 3D DLP HDTV products:

Samsung HL-T4675S 46" (117cm) 1280x720 (720P) checkerboard 3D Lamp DLP
Samsung HL-T5075S 50" (127cm) 1280x720 (720P) checkerboard 3D Lamp DLP
Samsung HL-T5675S 56" (142cm) 1280x720 (720P) checkerboard 3D Lamp DLP

The good news is that this would seem to confirm that the Gefen HDMI Detective Plus will enable the Mitsubishi 3D Checkerboard Converter to work with the Samsung 3D ready DLPs. My advise would be to save your money and order both components from Amazon or another company for a total price of a little over $200. I thought this was an actual Samsung 3D Checkerboard Converter until I read more of the product description. I have the HDMI Detective Plus connected to my Samsung 61HLA750 and am only waiting for delivery of the Mitsubishi 3D Checkerboard Converter. If you not have access to a Mitsubishi 3D ready DLP then this may be the way to go as according to their site the EDID information comes pre programmed.
post #120 of 148 Old 06-29-2010, 11:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Here is some more information and they reduced the price down to $289.99

This Samsung 3D DLP Adapter KIT includes the necessary pieces pre-programmed and READY TO USE with your Samsung 3D DLP HDTV for 3D TV, 3D Blu-Ray, PS3 and more!

To Use the Mitsubishi 3DA-1 Adapter and HDMI Tool Simply Following These Steps:

Power Off ALL of your Devices.
Connect 3D Ready Video Source HDMI Output (cable-box, PS3, etc) to the Mitsubishi 3DA-1 Adapter HDMI Input.
Connect the Mitsubishi 3DA-1 Adapter HDMI Output to the HDMI Tool HDMI Input
Connect the HDMI Tool HDMI Output to the Samsung 3D DLP HDTV HDMI Input.
NOTE: Consult your Samsung 3D DLP HDTV manual for 3D mode settings. It is recommended that you connect your 3D source to input on the back of your samsung 3D DLP to the Input labelled HDMI/DVI or HDMI/PC. This is usually HDMI Input 3.
Power on all of your devices.
Use your Samsung 3D DLP HDTV remote control to activate 3D Mode on your Samsung 3D DLP HDTV.
Turn on your 3D Video source.
NOTE: This KIT does NOT convert 2D to 3D. You must have a 3D video source to view 3D content using this kit such as 3D Pay-Per-View, 3D Live Sports, 3D Blu-Ray or other 3D Ready playback devices.
!!WARNING!!

Do not clear the memory presets that are stored on the HDMI Tool. If you clear the memory presets, then you will have to follow the directions below.
To Re-program the HDMI Tool:

External buttons on the HDMI Tool make EDID configuration fast and easy!

Note: This device is HDCP compliant.
Save the EDID from your Mitsubishi 3D DLP HDTV.

Computers and HDTV video source devices can sometimes lose EDID (Extended Display Identification Data), the display data that lists all possible resolutions and frequencies. When displays are switched off (or disconnected and reconnected), EDID can be lost and a computer or a Hi-Def video device can lose its ability to properly display the image.
Addititionally, some products may only plug and play with certain EDID sources. Saving an EDID from one of your devices may also need to be achieved when two different manufacturer's products share the same formats and standards, but certain devices only recognize a certain brand.
This HDMI EDID Tool allows switching or relocating HDTV or Computer video displays while maintaining a continuous read of the stored display information, maintaining an uninterrupted smooth video delivery throughout the process.
The HDMI EDID Tool is replete with features from HDMI 1.3 and will support a maximum overall throughput signal bandwidth up to 225 MHz. Also, maximum color depth can display up to 36 bits per pixel.
How It Works

Simply program the HDMI Tool for the Mitsubishi 3D DLP HDTV EDID that is required, performing this step with the device connected to a display and the included power adapter.
Next, connect it to the video source and restart the equipment. When all sources and displays are powered on, seamless functioning of video source and display equipment will commence.
The supplied 5V DC power supply is only needed during the initial EDID programming step.
Once the internal memory in the HDMI Tool has been correctly programmed, the power supply is no longer needed.
The HDMI Tool includes 4 built-in selectable generic EDIDs that can be used for meeting standard home theater setups. They can be selected by moving the DIP switches between different settings.
Reply 3D Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page