Would you purchase a reasonably priced Checkerboard Converter for your 3D ready DLP? - Page 5 - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: Would you buy a reasonably priced Checkerboard Converter for your 3D ready DLP HDTV?
Yes 0 0%
No 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #121 of 148 Old 06-30-2010, 06:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Now maybe Mitsubishi will realize they can make more money by selling the adapter to Samsung owners for $199.99.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 148 Old 06-30-2010, 08:12 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Great news for those of us without access to a Mits TV to clone the EDID.
post #123 of 148 Old 06-30-2010, 05:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvis Is Alive View Post

Great news for those of us without access to a Mits TV to clone the EDID.

Yeah, only $80 for the EDID.

Good to see this as a proof of concept for the converter+detective combo working on our sets.

Enjoying BF4 on the PS4, bugs and all.
post #124 of 148 Old 06-30-2010, 10:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This is an interesting disclaimer from Tru3D on their Samsung 3D Adapter Kit (Mitsubishi 3D Checkerboard Converter plus a pre programed Gefen HDMI Detective Plus with the Mitsubishi EDID). It is listed under the Warranties and Limitations section on the product page of the kit. Here it is:

Mitsubishi makes no representations or warranties related to the Mitsubishi 3DA-1 working with Samsung 3D DLP HDTV. The Mitsubishi 3DA-1 is designed by Mitsubishi to support Mitsubishi 3D DLP HDTV products as claimed in the Mitsubishi 3DA-1 specifications.
post #125 of 148 Old 07-01-2010, 05:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 19
They need to do this because that's what Mits says. If you but it for the listed Samsung models I assume their will not be a problem since the 3D circuitry is the same.
post #126 of 148 Old 07-01-2010, 09:40 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 25
My hope is that TRU3D had the wisdom to program one the Mits TV EDID's that DirecTV set top boxes recognize. Hopefully someone can corfirm this soon.
post #127 of 148 Old 07-01-2010, 09:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geaux Tigers View Post

This is an interesting disclaimer from Tru3D on their Samsung 3D Adapter Kit (Mitsubishi 3D Checkerboard Converter plus a pre programed Gefen HDMI Detective Plus with the Mitsubishi EDID). It is listed under the Warranties and Limitations section on the product page of the kit. Here it is:

Mitsubishi makes no representations or warranties related to the Mitsubishi 3DA-1 working with Samsung 3D DLP HDTV. The Mitsubishi 3DA-1 is designed by Mitsubishi to support Mitsubishi 3D DLP HDTV products as claimed in the Mitsubishi 3DA-1 specifications.

Not so much interesting as obvious. Mits has clearly stated that it will only work with Mits EDIDs. We knew this. Although Mitsubishi makes no representations or warranties as to it's effectiveness, TRU-3D certainly does, so they would be the ones solely responsible if it doesn't work out, and they would also be the ones responsible for providing support for both products. to people who buy from them.

Have you already gotten a Mits EDID into your Gefen Detective, Geaux? I'm looking forward to reading about your results.

post #128 of 148 Old 07-01-2010, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvis Is Alive View Post

My hope is that TRU3D had the wisdom to program one the Mits TV EDID's that DirecTV set top boxes recognize. Hopefully someone can corfirm this soon.

That's really irrelevant, since the adapter has to be hooked up right to the DirectTV box for it to work.

PSN - Mr_Frisch
XBL - Mr Frisch
Steam - Sneaky Pete
post #129 of 148 Old 07-01-2010, 10:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjb16 View Post

That's really irrelevant, since the adapter has to be hooked up right to the DirectTV box for it to work.

Actually the Gefen would be between the DirecTV box and the converter. That's sort of the whole point of the Gefen HDMI Detective.

You're right, my bad, reading too fast. The Mits adapter should have it's own EDID to be seen by the DirecTV box though.

post #130 of 148 Old 07-01-2010, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mounta1n View Post

Actually the Gefen would be between the DirecTV box and the converter. That's sort of the whole point of the Gefen HDMI Detective.

The whole point is for the Gefen to fool the Mits adapter into thinking that the Samsung tv is actually a Mitsubishi tv. Go ahead and plug it between the adapter and the DirectTV box though, I'm sure you wouldn't have any problems since you know all about the whole point of the Gefen.

Edit:
Quote:
To Use the Mitsubishi 3DA-1 Adapter and HDMI Tool Simply Following These Steps:

Power Off ALL of your Devices.
Connect 3D Ready Video Source HDMI Output (cable-box, PS3, etc) to the Mitsubishi 3DA-1 Adapter HDMI Input.
Connect the Mitsubishi 3DA-1 Adapter HDMI Output to the HDMI Tool HDMI Input
Connect the HDMI Tool HDMI Output to the Samsung 3D DLP HDTV HDMI Input.

NOTE: Consult your Samsung 3D DLP HDTV manual for 3D mode settings. It is recommended that you connect your 3D source to input on the back of your samsung 3D DLP to the Input labelled HDMI/DVI or HDMI/PC. This is usually HDMI Input 3.
Power on all of your devices.
Use your Samsung 3D DLP HDTV remote control to activate 3D Mode on your Samsung 3D DLP HDTV.
Turn on your 3D Video source.
NOTE: This KIT does NOT convert 2D to 3D. You must have a 3D video source to view 3D content using this kit such as 3D Pay-Per-View, 3D Live Sports, 3D Blu-Ray or other 3D Ready playback devices.

PSN - Mr_Frisch
XBL - Mr Frisch
Steam - Sneaky Pete
post #131 of 148 Old 07-01-2010, 05:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
As pjb16 said, the Geffen device needs to be the last thing in line between the display and everything else.

If you have multiple 3D sources and only 1 3D HDMI input on the display:

3D source(s) --> compatible AVR --> checkerboard converter --> Geffen device --> display

You have to trick both the converter and the Directv receiver.

Currently testing 3D with Sammy DLP, shutter glasses, and HTPC
post #132 of 148 Old 07-01-2010, 07:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by taz291819 View Post

As pjb16 said, the Geffen device needs to be the last thing in line between the display and everything else.

If you have multiple 3D sources and only 1 3D HDMI input on the display:

3D source(s) --> compatible AVR --> checkerboard converter --> Geffen device --> display

You have to trick both the converter and the DirecTV receiver.

If a source such as DirecTV does not see a legitimate 3DTV EDID it will not output anything. A receiver that passes through 1.3 conternt and switches if from multiple sources does not really care about the EDID data it receives from the TV. So if you go 3D source>Gefen>Converter>Recievr>3D tV everything should work fine since you can not count on the receiver to send the EDID from the Gefen to the source.
post #133 of 148 Old 07-01-2010, 08:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by walford View Post

If a source such as DirecTV does not see a legitimate 3DTV EDID it will not output anything. A receiver that passes through 1.3 conternt and switches if from multiple sources does not really care about the EDID data it receives from the TV. So if you go 3D source>Gefen>Converter>Recievr>3D tV everything should work fine since you can not count on the receiver to send the EDID from the Gefen to the source.

That won't work because the adapter (according to Mits) will not send 3D data out unless it is connected to a Mitsubishi 3Dtv. And if you have a Mitsubishi 3Dtv, you probably won't be needing the Gefen.

Supposedly the directTV set-top box will be looking for the EDID of the Mits adapter itself (according to the online Q&A).

PSN - Mr_Frisch
XBL - Mr Frisch
Steam - Sneaky Pete
post #134 of 148 Old 07-01-2010, 08:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mounta1n View Post

Not so much interesting as obvious. Mits has clearly stated that it will only work with Mits EDIDs. We knew this. Although Mitsubishi makes no representations or warranties as to it's effectiveness, TRU-3D certainly does, so they would be the ones solely responsible if it doesn't work out, and they would also be the ones responsible for providing support for both products. to people who buy from them.

Have you already gotten a Mits EDID into your Gefen Detective, Geaux? I'm looking forward to reading about your results.

I believe I successfully programed the EDID from a Mitsubishi 3D ready DLP into my Gefen HDMI Detective Plus. I have the Gefen HDMI Detective Plus connected to my HL61A750 and I get an excellent picture. I have the Mitsubishi 3D Checkerboard Converter on order and I will post my results as soon as I recieve it.

I will be using a DirecTv HR24-500 receiver and a PS3 as my 3D video sources. I have an Onkyo TX-SR805 as my A/V Receiver. It is my understanding that the Onkyo can not pass a 3D signal but can pass a 3D Checkerboard signal. My plan is to get an HDMI 1.4 switch after Monoprice releases them. I will hook the PS3 and the HR24-500 into the HDMI 1.4 switch. I will then run the output of the switch into the Mitsubishi 3D Checkerboard Converter which will then connect to the Gefen HDMI Detective Plus. I will connect the output of the Gefen HDMI detective into an input on my Onkyo A/V Receiver which will then connect to my Samsung HL61A750. I believe this is the best way to connect my system and enable 3D content.

Is someone has any better suggestions then please let me know.
post #135 of 148 Old 07-01-2010, 08:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I believe I successfully programed the EDID from a Mitsubishi 3D ready DLP into my Gefen HDMI Detective Plus. I have the Gefen HDMI Detective Plus connected to my HL61A750 and I get an excellent picture. I have the Mitsubishi 3D Checkerboard Converter on order and I will post my results as soon as I recieve it.

I will be using a DirecTv HR24-500 receiver and a PS3 as my 3D video sources. I have an Onkyo TX-SR805 as my A/V Receiver. It is my understanding that the Onkyo can not pass a 3D signal but can pass a 3D Checkerboard signal. My plan is to get an HDMI 1.4 switch after Monoprice releases them. I will hook the PS3 and the HR24-500 into the HDMI 1.4 switch. I will then run the output of the switch into the Mitsubishi 3D Checkerboard Converter which will then connect to the Gefen HDMI Detective Plus. I will connect the output of the Gefen HDMI detective into an input on my Onkyo A/V Receiver which will then connect to my Samsung HL61A750. I believe this is the best way to connect my system and enable 3D content.

Seems like a solid idea to me. I'd be interested to know how it works, because I too would like to have my PS3 and D* HR24 hooked up at the same time, and I have an Onkyo 876.

PSN - Mr_Frisch
XBL - Mr Frisch
Steam - Sneaky Pete
post #136 of 148 Old 07-02-2010, 06:13 PM

I'd be worried that there wouldn't be some sort of lag between video signals (being sent from PS3 or DirecTV to Mits adapter to HDMI detective to Samsung display) and audio signals (being sent direct from PS3/DirecTV to receiver via optical).
post #137 of 148 Old 07-03-2010, 08:23 AM

Quote:

Thats perfect as I have the same receiver and ps3 as well. Only difference is I have comcast cable box. I was wondering if I could put the gefen and converter on the out put to the tv. I thought the receiver passed hdmi thru unaltered. Not a big deal if I have to get the switcher though. Still cheaper than using a computer.
post #138 of 148 Old 07-05-2010, 10:21 AM

FYI, looking into the Mitsu converter also. I have a Mitsu wd-73c9 3D ready rearpro. Instead of screwing with or waiting for a 1.4a switch (and hoping it works consistently) I sold my old AVR for $75 and gobbled up the Pioneer VSX-820-k 1.4a receiver. You folks have to check out the specs and got it for $275 or $200 to plus up to a 1.4a 5.1 receiver with solid specs.

Pioneer VSX-820-k - Specs.
At Best Buy for $299, they price matched B&H @ $275 I prefer to buy at a local retailer using price match versus online only for a few bucks less.

That said, I have a HTPC and Cyberlink PowerDVD 10 Ultra 3D with a $50 bluray drive spitting out checkerboard already to Optoma ZD101 DLP link 3d shades ($85 shipped from projectorzone.com - actually just dropshipped from Optoma)

So far, so good. I'm waiting on cableco content before I have to buy the mitsu converter and that looks like a wait for Cablevision. Need the converter to go from SbS to Chkbrd then.

On a 3D sidenote, take a look at this Viewsonic 720P 3D projector that is 3000 lumens with a 6000 hour bulb on eco, network mgt. via ethernet, Nvidia 3D vision cetrified, DLP link ready also for ~$675 street: ViewSonic-PJD6531w

Now if only the content started flowing and the standards get locked!

As others have written, let me know if I'm missing anything and maybe I've helped a few of you.
post #139 of 148 Old 07-07-2010, 04:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by neuromancer1 View Post

I'd be worried that there wouldn't be some sort of lag between video signals (being sent from PS3 or DirecTV to Mits adapter to HDMI detective to Samsung display) and audio signals (being sent direct from PS3/DirecTV to receiver via optical).

He didn't mention anything about optical. From the description, he is just letting the HDMI carry the audio signal to his receiver.

I was considering the same setup, have an 807, and figured it would pass through the converted checkerboard signal just fine. I sure hope so.

post #140 of 148 Old 07-07-2010, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richbutler1 View Post

FYI, looking into the Mitsu converter also. I have a Mitsu wd-73c9 3D ready rearpro. Instead of screwing with or waiting for a 1.4a switch (and hoping it works consistently) I sold my old AVR for $75 and gobbled up the Pioneer VSX-820-k 1.4a receiver. You folks have to check out the specs and got it for $275 or $200 to plus up to a 1.4a 5.1 receiver with solid specs.

Pioneer VSX-820-k - Specs.
At Best Buy for $299, they price matched B&H @ $275 I prefer to buy at a local retailer using price match versus online only for a few bucks less.

That said, I have a HTPC and Cyberlink PowerDVD 10 Ultra 3D with a $50 bluray drive spitting out checkerboard already to Optoma ZD101 DLP link 3d shades ($85 shipped from projectorzone.com - actually just dropshipped from Optoma)

So far, so good. I'm waiting on cableco content before I have to buy the mitsu converter and that looks like a wait for Cablevision. Need the converter to go from SbS to Chkbrd then.

On a 3D sidenote, take a look at this Viewsonic 720P 3D projector that is 3000 lumens with a 6000 hour bulb on eco, network mgt. via ethernet, Nvidia 3D vision cetrified, DLP link ready also for ~$675 street: ViewSonic-PJD6531w

Now if only the content started flowing and the standards get locked!

As others have written, let me know if I'm missing anything and maybe I've helped a few of you.

Hello richbutler,

when using the Optoma ZD101 glasses, you just kinda said, "so far so good" after viewing 3D?

Did you find 3D viewing using these glasses to be just ok, or was there any depth to the picture? Did you fin the experience emersive?

Where there any issues with loosing sync?

Are you using an ATI or Nvidia card?
post #141 of 148 Old 07-07-2010, 09:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
I have not yet seen any reports of sucessfull sending of 1080p checkerboard content to a 720p DLP PJ or TV.
No have I seen any reports of anybody not able to send 1080p chedckerboard 3d cotent from a unit with a HDMI 1.3 or HDMI 1.4 transmitter chip to any of the 3D ready DLP TVs with their HDMI 1.3 receiver chips.
I belive that the reason for this is that 1080p checkerboard format is not one of the HDMI 1.4a formats.
post #142 of 148 Old 07-08-2010, 04:48 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjb16 View Post

Seems like a solid idea to me. I'd be interested to know how it works, because I too would like to have my PS3 and D* HR24 hooked up at the same time, and I have an Onkyo 876.

Ditto!
post #143 of 148 Old 07-09-2010, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyari View Post

Hello richbutler,

when using the Optoma ZD101 glasses, you just kinda said, "so far so good" after viewing 3D?

Did you find 3D viewing using these glasses to be just ok, or was there any depth to the picture? Did you fin the experience emersive?

Where there any issues with loosing sync?

Are you using an ATI or Nvidia card?

-----------------------------------------------------
There was depth to CWACOM, which is the only Bluray 3D I can get my hands on. Brightness on my rearpro had to be maxed as the glasses really diminished the brightness. The glasses did not loose sync in a room with blinds drawn, low to med ambiuent light. I suggest as dark as possible viewing in the room for this. The projector I mentioned above is fairly bright, so if I get it, I will hope the lost brightness and experience is less impacted.

The only time I lost sync was when I looked away from the screen for more than 15-30 seconds, though it seemed to pick right back up.

I am using an Nvidia GT 240 that I grabbed off ebay for $50 (512Mb DDR5 PCIe, EVGA version)

I know these types of glasses are designed to fit the masses, but I don't care for the non-wrap around aspect of these. They have to fit over someone with prescription glasses and therefore are the size of those "Blublockers" dark black huge grandpa/ma shades from infomercials of the past.
post #144 of 148 Old 07-14-2010, 10:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I wasn't one of the lucky ones to get a Mitsubishi 3D Converter yet so I am still waiting to report back on my results of pairing the converter with my Gefen HDMI Detective and Samsung 3D ready DLP.
post #145 of 148 Old 07-21-2010, 04:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Just snagged the last in stock 3DA-1 Mitsubishi Checkerboard Converter from Vanns. I should soon be able to report on how the Gefen HDMI Detective, the converter, and my Samsung HL61A750 work together. Hopefully, I will be watching 3D shortly and reporting back the good news.
post #146 of 148 Old 07-27-2010, 12:38 PM

Quote:

Just snagged the last in stock 3DA-1 Mitsubishi Checkerboard Converter from Vanns. I should soon be able to report on how the Gefen HDMI Detective, the converter, and my Samsung HL61A750 work together. Hopefully, I will be watching 3D shortly and reporting back the good news.

So does it work?
post #147 of 148 Old 07-27-2010, 06:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

My 3DA-1 3D Checkerboard Converter arrived today. Bottom line is that it works and allows 3D on my Samsung HL61A750 using the Gefen HDMI Detective. I will post more information later. I am having a problem with my audio being limited to Stereo at this time. The picture is amazing. I am using the Samsung SSG1000 Glasses that are no longer available.
post #148 of 148 Old 07-27-2010, 08:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Guy I started a new thread on 3D on the Samsung 3 ready DLP using the 3DA-1 and the Gefen HDMI Detective now that it is confirmed as I figure there will be a lot of interest in the subject.

The new thread is here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...4#post18968784
Reply 3D Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page