Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 102 Old 05-21-2010, 07:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Where to start......
I am able to make my own 3D HD videos with a homebrew setup consisting of two mounted Canon Vixia HF S21's linked with a special dual camera LANC controller.

1. The amazing part
Playing my videos via computer in 1080P side by side format produces absolutely the most stunning visual experience I've ever had.......

2. The frustrating part
I am able to put the videos on a SD card that the Panasonic media player will recognize and play BUT the stupid TV won't let me select 3D mode while playing from an SD card, so all I see is two side by side images.
I had hoped to be able to demonstate some of my videos on other TVs using this method.

ARGGGGGG

Frank

Did IQ's suddenly drop sharply while I was away?
I enjoy 3D in spite of HDMI 1.4!
Full screen only 3D doesn't cut it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 102 Old 05-21-2010, 07:37 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Will the TV read from a memory stick via USB? This is how I viewed my videos on my Samsung before I returned it and am now waiting for my VT20 to arrive... youhave me wondering if I should have exchanged my LED and try a Sammy Plasma...
post #3 of 102 Old 05-21-2010, 07:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by space123321 View Post

Will the TV read from a memory stick via USB? This is how I viewed my videos on my Samsung before I returned it and am now waiting for my VT20 to arrive... youhave me wondering if I should have exchanged my LED and try a Sammy Plasma...

Yes it will, However that doesn't help this "3D TV" display 3D from a memory storage device.

post #4 of 102 Old 05-21-2010, 07:43 AM

Sorry - I meant to ask if it will go into 3d option from the USB - this option was avaliable on the Samsung...
post #5 of 102 Old 05-21-2010, 07:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Sorry - I meant to ask if it will go into 3d option from the USB - this option was avaliable on the Samsung...

That's interesting! I'll try it right now.

post #6 of 102 Old 05-21-2010, 07:48 AM

Let me know - I had no issues with the Sammy running videos from USB stick (until I returned it!)
post #7 of 102 Old 05-21-2010, 07:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The file I am trying to play is an AVCHD .MTS file in 1080P side by side format.
It plays fine if you like looking at two squished images with NO 3D.
It does exactly the same thing whether the SD card is plugged into the SD socket or via a USB dongle.

Very frustrating.
I think I'll take the usb dongle and SD card to Best Buy and try it on their Samsung and see if it will let me play it in 3D.

post #8 of 102 Old 05-21-2010, 09:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I am going to try burning my 3D videos onto a BluRay disc and try playing it at BestBuy.
I have no way to encode it in 3D other then to simply render it in 1080P 1/2 res side by side format.
I need to find out how to encode it to play in 3D automatically on the 3D TV.
I hope to find a TV that will allow manual override to force 3d side by side display.

post #9 of 102 Old 05-21-2010, 10:01 AM

As long as the resolution and format is ok for the Samsung to read - it will read side by side or above below with no issues and you can put it into 3d mode from a memory stick. I am shocked that the Panasonic will not do this and I am now thinking of going back to a Smasung (rather than wait for the Panny...)
post #10 of 102 Old 05-21-2010, 10:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I'm not shocked that it doesn't work but I am annoyed by it.
They could probably fix it with a firmware upgrade.
Putting it in 3D side by side mode when using my computer is a pain as it takes too many button pushes to accomplish it. Will have to set up a long macro on universal remote.
I am planning on tesing my videos on a Samsung at Best Buy later today.

post #11 of 102 Old 05-21-2010, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank View Post

I am going to try burning my 3D videos onto a BluRay disc and try playing it at BestBuy.
I have no way to encode it in 3D other then to simply render it in 1080P 1/2 res side by side format.
I need to find out how to encode it to play in 3D automatically on the 3D TV.
I hope to find a TV that will allow manual override to force 3d side by side display.

I'm hoping that if you burn it to Blu-ray then it would play on the Panasonic. Do you have a 3D Blu-ray player connected to the TV?
post #12 of 102 Old 05-21-2010, 10:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fire407 View Post

I'm hoping that if you burn it to Blu-ray then it would play on the Panasonic. Do you have a 3D Blu-ray player connected to the TV?

Me too! I am going to hook one up shortly and test it after my disc is finished.

post #13 of 102 Old 05-21-2010, 11:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

OK.... I hooked up my bluray player to the Panasonic and inserted my home made 3D HD bluray disc.
It works great with unbelievable image quality. Never seen anything like it before.
The only problem is that I have to set it in 3D side by side format manually.
I'll be interested in seeing the reaction of the people at the local BestBuy when I demo it there later today....

post #14 of 102 Old 05-21-2010, 01:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Just returned from the local Bestbuy store.
Very interesting.
Played my 3D video bluray on both the Samsung and Panasonic plasma in the store.
The ONLY thing I liked about the Samsung was the ease of switching to 3D mode. The Panasonic blows it out of the water in every other way.
The reaction of customers to watching my home made 3D videos was interesting.
They all were amazed at the quality (on the Panasonic) and found it hard to believe that I had made these videos with a home made rig.
The lack of contrast on the Samsung was striking.
I'm anxious to try the same test on the 63" Samsung plasma. Unfortunately I have to drive 170 miles to the closest Magnolia store.

post #15 of 102 Old 05-21-2010, 01:56 PM

Thanks for the update - in terms of the Samsung - was this the LED you were playing with. I recently returned the 46c7000 LED and waiting for my panny to arrive. Did you see any ghosting on the Sammy with you homemade videos? I found the Sammy to be amazing as a 2d tv however the ghosting was just not acceptable to my eyes. After you stating that the Panny blows the Samsung away - I CANT WAIT as I haven't even seen the TV demo'd yet up here in Canada!!!
post #16 of 102 Old 05-21-2010, 02:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for the update - in terms of the Samsung - was this the LED you were playing with. I recently returned the 46c7000 LED and waiting for my panny to arrive. Did you see any ghosting on the Sammy with you homemade videos? I found the Sammy to be amazing as a 2d tv however the ghosting was just not acceptable to my eyes. After you stating that the Panny blows the Samsung away - I CANT WAIT as I haven't even seen the TV demo'd yet up here in Canada!!!

The Samsung was the UN55C8000XF .
I couldn't see any ghosting because the entire image looked like a ghost. (lack of contrast )

post #17 of 102 Old 05-21-2010, 05:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

OK.... I hooked up my bluray player to the Panasonic and inserted my home made 3D HD bluray disc.
It works great with unbelievable image quality. Never seen anything like it before.
The only problem is that I have to set it in 3D side by side format manually.
I'll be interested in seeing the reaction of the people at the local BestBuy when I demo it there later today....

That is great to hear. Would welcome some nuts and bolts details on how you put your homemade rig together and what steps you took to burn it to a Blu-ray disc.
post #18 of 102 Old 05-21-2010, 06:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthTV View Post

That is great to hear. Would welcome some nuts and bolts details on how you put your homemade rig together and what steps you took to burn it to a Blu-ray disc.

Nuts and 1/4-20 socket head cap screws is more like it.
It's basically two each Canon Vixia HF S21 camcorders that I mounted to aluminum plates. I purchased a LANC shepherd pro controller that allows simultaneous control of both cameras through the LANC interface.
I edit the two video files using Sony Vegas Pro 9 and merge them into a single 1080P frame with the left and right images squeezed to 960 by 1080 each.
Burning the BluRay disc is easy since I am just saving them as normal 1080P files. That is why the TV has to be set to 3D side by side manually.
I happened to use Nero 10 to burn the bluray disc but also could have used DVD Architect Pro 5.0 instead.
A lot of people have said that half res 1080P side by side is lame and needs to be 1080P full at 120 hertz.
After watching my own videos in this mode I am sold.
It's fantastic.
I'm typing this on my Lenovo while watching the Yankees on my Kuro 6020 which I now wish was 3D capable....

post #19 of 102 Old 05-21-2010, 07:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Note to Panasonic......
What were you thinking; not putting a 3D button on the remote control?
After all, it is a 3D Television, right?

post #20 of 102 Old 05-21-2010, 09:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Frank, once you get your process down pat, you need to make a youtube video detailing how you did everything. I'm sure tons of people would love to see it, and might get inspired to make their own 3D movies the same way.
post #21 of 102 Old 05-21-2010, 09:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Thanks for the report. I have a single Canon HD camcorder, but you have me excited over the possibilities of using two. This thread should generate a lot of interest. I can see all sorts of homebrew 3D videos being created.

I also just checked out the Samsung PN63 C8000 plasma yesterday. I'm going back to see it again tomorrow. I was extremely impressed, and I'm hoping it holds up to my scrutiny when I examine it more thoroughly. Color and contrast looked remarkable, on par with the Panasonic VT25 it was right next to. As an added bonus, the Samsung glasses were allowing me to see the 3D demo running on the Panasonic at the same time I was watching the Samsung. There was no more ghosting on the Samsung than there was on the Panasonic, although the Samsung was only doing 2D to 3D conversion.

My experience, preliminary though it is, with the Samsung 8000 plasma (not the 7000, which had weak black levels and severe ghosting) put the Samsung plasma right back in the race for me. To be fair, the 7000 series Samsung plasma I saw had not had its firmware updated yet. The latest update has made a huge difference in the Samsungs.

I use Premiere, and haven't touched Vegas. Is a side by side rendering mode available as an output option in Vegas?

Joe Clark

post #22 of 102 Old 05-21-2010, 09:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

A lot of people have said that half res 1080P side by side is lame and needs to be 1080P full at 120 hertz.
After watching my own videos in this mode I am sold.
It's fantastic.

Yeah, I've suspected that side by side could look awfully good. After all, even though the vertical resolution is cut in half, the 3D TV is going to interpolate those half-res images to full 1920x1080. Much of that interpolation is going to be "accurate." That is, the pixels that the interpolation routines fill in will be very similar to what they were before the resolution was halved. Of course it won't be perfect, but it seems to me that the technique will yield some spectacular results.

I may be getting a 3D TV sooner than I planned.

Joe Clark

post #23 of 102 Old 05-22-2010, 04:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post

Frank, once you get your process down pat, you need to make a youtube video detailing how you did everything. I'm sure tons of people would love to see it, and might get inspired to make their own 3D movies the same way.

I'll see if I can coax one of my grandkids into helping with that.

post #24 of 102 Old 05-22-2010, 04:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I use Premiere, and haven't touched Vegas. Is a side by side rendering mode available as an output option in Vegas?

It's not an output option as such.
You have to manually resize both views manually but it only takes a few seconds to do it.
I think the key to making the whole thing work is the stereo 3D dual LANC controller that I bought. Until I acquired it zooming was impossible and left and right files had to be synced manually and it was a pain.

post #25 of 102 Old 05-22-2010, 06:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

It's not an output option as such.
You have to manually resize both views manually but it only takes a few seconds to do it.
I think the key to making the whole thing work is the stereo 3D dual LANC controller that I bought. Until I acquired it zooming was impossible and left and right files had to be synced manually and it was a pain.

You know, a small company out in California (HDI) is selling their own 3D projector, and they're offering a homemade 3D camcorder with it (at least they've talked about that as an option). I'm sure they use a technique similar to yours. The unit uses two off the shelf HD camcorders and mounts them side by side on a plate.

With the size and weight of the tiny AVCHD camcorders on the market these days, getting the right interocular distance for 3D should be relatively easy. And LANC is a common feature on many Sony and Canon camcorders (but not all, unfortunately).

With a light weight plate, you could probably even use a Steadicam Merlin with the setup. I used to shoot footage with my 5 pound Hi8 camcorder mounted on a Steadicam JR. A couple of small AVCHD camcorders would weigh far less, even mounted on a plate.

I'm sure the big boys are already working on inexpensive 3D camcorders (consumer versions of the $21,000 Panasonic), but until they get here, this could be a lot of fun.

Joe Clark

post #26 of 102 Old 05-22-2010, 07:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Clark View Post

You know, a small company out in California (HDI) is selling their own 3D projector, and they're offering a homemade 3D camcorder with it (at least they've talked about that as an option). I'm sure they use a technique similar to yours. The unit uses two off the shelf HD camcorders and mounts them side by side on a plate.

With the size and weight of the tiny AVCHD camcorders on the market these days, getting the right interocular distance for 3D should be relatively easy. And LANC is a common feature on many Sony and Canon camcorders (but not all, unfortunately).

With a light weight plate, you could probably even use a Steadicam Merlin with the setup. I used to shoot footage with my 5 pound Hi8 camcorder mounted on a Steadicam JR. A couple of small AVCHD camcorders would weigh far less, even mounted on a plate.

I'm sure the big boys are already working on inexpensive 3D camcorders (consumer versions of the $21,000 Panasonic), but until they get here, this could be a lot of fun.

I just weighed my dual camera unit and it weighs a paltry 2.4 pounds.
Next week I'm going to shoot some footage with it mounted on my Glidecam/DV Sportster unit.

post #27 of 102 Old 05-22-2010, 09:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Clark View Post

Looks like I'll have to go dig out of storage my old Stedicam JR. Is the Steadicam Merlin an updated version of the JR?
post #28 of 102 Old 05-22-2010, 10:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthTV View Post

Looks like I'll have to go dig out of storage my old Stedicam JR. Is the Steadicam Merlin an updated version of the JR?

Yes, it is. It eliminates the built-in LCD finder (it uses the one on your camcorder). It's a much more modern design - almost all metal, instead of the plastic of the JR. My JR is in the basement. I let some of my university students use it and it came back broken after an assignment. The Merlin looks like it should be really inexpensive to build, but it costs more than the JR did.

My longest shot with the JR was about 4 minutes. Again, it was a project for one of my student groups. It was early in the semester, so I did the shot as a demonstration. By the time the evening shoot was over, my arm was ready to fall off.

Frank:

How do you like the Glidecam?

Joe Clark

post #29 of 102 Old 05-22-2010, 10:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I just weighed my dual camera unit and it weighs a paltry 2.4 pounds.
Next week I'm going to shoot some footage with it mounted on my Glidecam/DV Sportster unit.

That's less than half the weight of my Canon Hi8 with its auxiliary wide angle attachment. I really like Canon, but this last time around I made the mistake of buying an HF10, which doesn't have LANC. My old Sony HC1 (HDV) does have LANC, but after shooting on SDHC, I can't imagine going back to tape again. Fortunately, the price on HD camcorders has dropped like a rock since I bought the HC1.

OK, guys, this is exciting stuff. It just might be my own personal tipping point to get into 3D now.

Joe Clark

post #30 of 102 Old 05-22-2010, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Frank:

How do you like the Glidecam?

Don't know yet since it arrives this Monday.

Reply 3D Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page