Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 77 Old 12-01-2010, 09:10 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingdvd View Post

The challenge I have is that the TV takes about 5-7 seconds for the picture to warm up and come on. As soon as it does, having HDMI Control on the receiver and TV causes the TV to tell the receiver to switch to the TV input. This then moves my receiver off of HDMI 2 (where it needs to be) and over to an AV input on the receiver which is mapped to ARC. However no sound is coming through ARC at that point since its just the STB playing. Yes later if I use Netflix or Vudu it works, but most times I'm just TV watching. This means after the power on sequence I have to manually switch the AVR back to HDMI 2. That's not acceptable so I've given up on ARC unfortunately. Maybe one day they'll be a fix or someone will discover a work around.,..

I do get what you mean. I have the same issue when I shut off the BD player. I'd like the AVR to switch to the STB automatically but it will switch to TV input instead. The STB has HDMI but otherwise there is no CEC compliance so I guess that's why the AVR never switches to the STB even though I pretty much always have it powered on. I do agree that it is annoying but it isn't a dealbreaker. I just switch inputs manually. Perhaps you can try switching off the TV Anynet+? I'm not at home to test out whether this affects the ARC feature.

Yes! This is exactly the step I was missing. I tried it and it works wonderfully. Thank you so much!!

I tried to get the Playstation Media Server (PMS) going because I like that it'll transcode (?) the audio on the fly if it needs to. But I couldn't get it configured. It had nothing to do with the Samsung. Rather, I couldn't get it to see my PS3 (or Samsung either). I installed PC Share Manager and it does the trick.

Question: Is there any way to get the Media Play function on the TV to remember PC Media Share as the default DLNA server? Every time I go into the menu (or maybe its after a power off/on, but still...) it defaults to my USB drive in the TV or Media Player on my PC networks. So I have to press the "A" key and navigate to select "PC Media Share" to find the media I want.

Thanks again!

I don't recall experiencing any sort of memory or default on the choice of media player inputs. If I recall, even if I plug in a USB drive, I still have to select the drive from the list of sources to access the media player. Again, for me, I'm pretty tolerant of the need to use the remote. In fact, I quit using a USB once I installed PCMS. PCMS is the only media player I have installed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 77 Old 12-01-2010, 10:28 AM

Quote:

I am using the Samsung apps for Netflix and Vudu. I wanted to use ARC to get the audio from these apps over to the receiver. Unfortunately due to the input switching issue I mentioned I have given up on using ARC and am just feeding the optical out from the Samsung back to the AVR that way. Do you see any downside to this, aside from having to use an extra (optical) cable in the setup?

The challenge I have is that the TV takes about 5-7 seconds for the picture to warm up and come on. As soon as it does, having HDMI Control on the receiver and TV causes the TV to tell the receiver to switch to the TV input. This then moves my receiver off of HDMI 2 (where it needs to be) and over to an AV input on the receiver which is mapped to ARC. However no sound is coming through ARC at that point since its just the STB playing. Yes later if I use Netflix or Vudu it works, but most times I'm just TV watching. This means after the power on sequence I have to manually switch the AVR back to HDMI 2. That's not acceptable so I've given up on ARC unfortunately. Maybe one day they'll be a fix or someone will discover a work around.,..

Did you happen to get a starter kit with your TV? My Samsung BD-C5900 player also has Netflix, Vudu, etc. If you watch movies through this device, you won't need to use ARC. I turned off HDMI-CEC because of the problems you describe. I never figured out a way around it other than using a very long Harmony remote control sequence every time I turned on the TV.
post #33 of 77 Old 12-01-2010, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddle View Post

Did you happen to get a starter kit with your TV? My Samsung BD-C5900 player also has Netflix, Vudu, etc. If you watch movies through this device, you won't need to use ARC. I turned off HDMI-CEC because of the problems you describe.

Yes I did get the starter kit. You brought up a good point that I hadn't thought of... and that's watching Vudo, Netflix, YouTube etc from the Samsung Blu-ray player, instead of through the TV. That way, like you said, the audio will come over HDMI from the Blu-ray player and no ARC is needed.

Quote:

I never figured out a way around it other than using a very long Harmony remote control sequence every time I turned on the TV.

Thanks for confirming that its a problem for others as well. What AVR are you using? I am using the Yamaha RX-V667. I am really curious if its the Samsung TV or the Yamaha. I am pretty sure its the fault of the TV, but was wondering if I'd have better results with a different manufacturers AVR. So if you respond that you are using something other than a Yamaha, then we'll know for sure.
post #34 of 77 Old 12-01-2010, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carny_Priest View Post

I don't recall experiencing any sort of memory or default on the choice of media player inputs. If I recall, even if I plug in a USB drive, I still have to select the drive from the list of sources to access the media player. Again, for me, I'm pretty tolerant of the need to use the remote. In fact, I quit using a USB once I installed PCMS. PCMS is the only media player I have installed.

It would be nice if there was a way for it to at least remember the default. Each time you power up the set and want to watch off your PCMS, am I right to assume that you hit Media Play on the remote, and then have to press "A" to bring up the list of devices, then have to select PCMS. Or is PCMS your only choice in the list so it just plays with no device selection necessary?

In my case I have Windows Media Player DLNA devices that show up in my list from my PC that is on the same network. I am not sure what causes these devices to display but I'd rather them not be in the list (so it might eliminate the need for me to choose). Do you know what I can adjust in the PC to prevent those from showing up?
post #35 of 77 Old 12-01-2010, 01:28 PM

Quote:

Thanks for confirming that its a problem for others as well. What AVR are you using? I am using the Yamaha RX-V667. I am really curious if its the Samsung TV or the Yamaha. I am pretty sure its the fault of the TV, but was wondering if I'd have better results with a different manufacturers AVR. So if you respond that you are using something other than a Yamaha, then we'll know for sure.

Pioneer VSX-32 (same as the VSX-1120)
post #36 of 77 Old 12-01-2010, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Pioneer VSX-32 (same as the VSX-1120)

Thanks. I'd like to just confirm we are talking about the same exact issue. In my scenario I need HDMI Control (CEC) enabled on the receiver and on the TV in order to use ARC. However with CEC enabled, when the TV first warms up and picture comes on, it causes the AVR to switch to the TV input, even though no audio is on that input. This causes you to loose the desired source on the receiver (in my case HDMI 2). Therefore you are forced to disable CEC and not use ARC. Does this sum up your situation as well?

Also I wonder if this issue is specific to the Samsung TVs. If it is, then we may be able to get Samung to fix this with a firmware update.
post #37 of 77 Old 12-01-2010, 01:58 PM

That's exactly what happens to me when HDMI-CEC is "on."

To quote cctoenj, "HDMI Control must die!"
post #38 of 77 Old 12-01-2010, 09:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

...PCMS is the only media player I have installed.

I installed PCMS and its working well.

Only one minor gripe with it so far - when I choose "Videos" under the Media Play, it shows a "PCMediaShareUpload" folder along with the root of my shared folder.

For instance if I set my shared folder as c:\\streaming-files, then when I Videos it shows me two folders to select from, "PCMediaShareUpload" and "streaming-files".

Does anyone know how to hide or suppress the PCMediaShareUpload folder so it doesn't display in the list? The folder doesn't actually exist on the PC so I assume its some sort of control folder for PCMS. But nonetheless I'd rather it not display in the folders list. Any ideas? Thanks!
post #39 of 77 Old 12-01-2010, 09:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That's exactly what happens to me when HDMI-CEC is "on."

To quote cctoenj, "HDMI Control must die!"

Have you heard or seen others here complaining of the same issue? I just tried setting this up a few days ago, but in digging around a bit before posting the description of the problem I didn't come across anything.

Now that we know we can rule out the AVR as the cause, I am wondering if it is just a poor implementation by Samsung, or if other manufacturers TVs would cause the same issue. Any idea of this is mainly a Samsung issue or affects other manufacturers as well?

If other TVs besides Samsungs do this we may be able to get a fix or workaround from our AVR manufacturers. For example, an option that says "HDMI auto switch TV Input" settable to ON/OFF would do the trick. If its mainly a Samsung problem, then maybe we can get a firmware fix from Samsung.
post #40 of 77 Old 12-02-2010, 09:02 AM

I have read many posts of similar complaints. The solution is always to turn off HDMI-CEC. Others who know more than me have stated that the HDMI-CEC specification is not very strict and so there are many opportunities for responses between different manufacturers. IMO, we should not wait for a FW upgrade. I waited for a sale on a Harmony One (or 900) remote, turned off HDMI-CEC and started lurking in the Harmony threads.
post #41 of 77 Old 12-02-2010, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have read many posts of similar complaints. The solution is always to turn off HDMI-CEC. Others who know more than me have stated that the HDMI-CEC specification is not very strict and so there are many opportunities for responses between different manufacturers. IMO, we should not wait for a FW upgrade. I waited for a sale on a Harmony One (or 900) remote, turned off HDMI-CEC and started lurking in the Harmony threads.

I know what you are saying. The challenge I have is that I really want to run with the ARC enabled, which requires CEC to work. Ultimately I had to turn off CEC and use an optical cable.
post #42 of 77 Old 12-13-2010, 04:18 PM

By the sounds of it you still have not got this working. I was having the same issue and solved it I think.

Firstly you need to turn all the stuff back on to get the arc working again.
Then select whatever you are watching. Press tools button on tv and there should be a heading sound, click that and where it says PCM try and change it, if there is a dd soundtrack or dts you should be able to change it here, if not then I'm not sure, that's how I got mine to work.

Good luck.
post #43 of 77 Old 12-13-2010, 07:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre1973 View Post

By the sounds of it you still have not got this working. I was having the same issue and solved it I think.

Firstly you need to turn all the stuff back on to get the arc working again.
Then select whatever you are watching. Press tools button on tv and there should be a heading sound, click that and where it says PCM try and change it, if there is a dd soundtrack or dts you should be able to change it here, if not then I'm not sure, that's how I got mine to work.

Good luck.

Yes someone posted this tip a few weeks ago and it solved the issue we me only getting 2.1 sound.

However the bigger issue is that with ARC it changes the receiver to the wrong input when the TV turns on right after it warms up. I gave up and am using optical on the SPDIF output instead.
post #44 of 77 Old 12-14-2010, 12:28 AM

Ah that teaches me to skim the topic,

I know what you mean about arc changing inputs to what they think they should be, I have to manually select dig3 if I want dd from my satellite box. No big issue but only one I've come across so far. Everything else seems to work correctly.

I'm using uk c7000 50" plasma and onkyo htx22hdx all in one by the way, good luck and I'm sure you'll get there in the end.
post #45 of 77 Old 12-14-2010, 09:33 AM
AVS Special Member

My Samsung PN63C8000 TV has an SPDIF output which I connect to the optical input of the my RX-V667 using with the latest firmware. With this connection I can watch Vudu and other online program, as well as mkv via my network or USB, and get 5.1 sound from the AVR.

This works most of the time. However when I pause the content and then resume it, the AVR often has a hard time getting the audio signal back. When this happens, the front display of the AVR very quickly flickers between "DTS" and "Decoder off". It flashes like this probably 10-20 times per second. (I have the AVR set to display the signal info on the front display).

Sometimes this goes on for 5 or 10 seconds before finally syncing up on its own, displaying "DTS" and then the audio comes back as normal. Other times it will not sync back up on its own, and to get it back, I have to pause the content and then hit play again. Sometimes I have to repeat that several times. Eventually it will sync back up and I'll have sound again, until the next time I pause or FF/REW.

Has anyone else experienced this issue with their AVR? I'm not sure if its the Samsung or the Yamaha's fault. Tonight I'll try switching back to using the ARC and see if I can reproduce the issue that way as well.
post #46 of 77 Old 12-15-2010, 08:29 AM

Quote:

I need HDMI Control (CEC) enabled on the receiver and on the TV in order to use ARC. However with CEC enabled, when the TV first warms up and picture comes on, it causes the AVR to switch to the TV input, even though no audio is on that input. This causes you to loose the desired source on the receiver (in my case HDMI 2). Therefore you are forced to disable CEC and not use ARC. Does this sum up your situation as well?

Also I wonder if this issue is specific to the Samsung TVs. .

Very unfortunate. Is it correct that ARC simply cannot work at all (no matter what), or that you need another button press or two in order to get ARC to work?
post #47 of 77 Old 12-15-2010, 10:24 AM

Quote:

Thanks. I'd like to just confirm we are talking about the same exact issue. In my scenario I need HDMI Control (CEC) enabled on the receiver and on the TV in order to use ARC. However with CEC enabled, when the TV first warms up and picture comes on, it causes the AVR to switch to the TV input, even though no audio is on that input. This causes you to loose the desired source on the receiver (in my case HDMI 2). Therefore you are forced to disable CEC and not use ARC. Does this sum up your situation as well?

Also I wonder if this issue is specific to the Samsung TVs. If it is, then we may be able to get Samung to fix this with a firmware update.

I have a Samsung Un65c8000 TV with Onkyo TX-NR708 AVR and can confirm the same problem. Must be a problem with the TV. My workaround was to program the Harmony remote to send a delayed signal to switch the input back.
post #48 of 77 Old 12-15-2010, 11:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRD2PLZ View Post
I have a Samsung Un65c8000 TV with Onkyo TX-NR708 AVR and can confirm the same problem. Must be a problem with the TV. My workaround was to program the Harmony remote to send a delayed signal to switch the input back.
Thanks. Others have chimed in to say its the TV too based on their AVR doing the same. Now I guess the only remaining question is whether its a bug with the TV, or a bug in the spec/protocol. IOW maybe the TV is just doing what its supposed to, and the AVR is doing what its supposed to, but no one realized the end result was going to cause this issue.

Has anyone tried calling Samsung to report the issue? I filed and issue with them about it. I was promised a call back weeks ago. Haven't heard a thing.
post #49 of 77 Old 12-15-2010, 08:34 PM

It's pretty simple. ARC acts just like toskink would. They both carry 5.1. However due to media rights, not because it's too hard, any audio going into the tv via hdmi will be output in 2.1 pcm. No matter how it is output.

So everyone saying that their arc works fine bc they get 5.1, it's bc your components are going into your receiver first. In the case u are not even using the arc the audio dumps off at the receiver.

I have a vt25 and panny soundbar (the 500). I have my bt300 bd player going into the sb via hdmi and then out to the arc input on the tv. So when I'm watching a movie, it's in 5.1. If I'm playing xbox which goes straight into the tv, I get PCM.

So some ask what is the point of arc? Well hdmi can still carry much more bandwidth than toslink. So in the future if tv broadcast dd truhd, the the arc could theoretically handle it. But it's mainly an advantage in set up and use. The arc allows the two to be completely sinked. The tv and sb turn on together and auto switch inputs, etc. So integration and future capability is far greater than toslink.
post #50 of 77 Old 12-16-2010, 08:06 AM

What's the point of ARC? For me, it's DD 5.1 OTA as well as DD 5.1 and DTS via the TV's mediashare features. Might be good for the TV's streaming apps as well, but I haven't put it to the test. Here, the source signals are received by the TV and are then routed to the AVR. As opposed to the BD player, Xbox or other component where the sound signal is sent to the AVR and not the TV. Yes, a toslink cable can perform the same function sending the sound signal from TV to AVR, but the ARC feature means one less cable to deal with which is nice.

By the way, I do have the same issues with CEC where the AVR switches to the wrong input. It's kind of a hassle but it doesn't bother me enough to give up the ARC feature.
post #51 of 77 Old 12-16-2010, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What's the point of ARC? For me, it's DD 5.1 OTA as well as DD 5.1 and DTS via the TV's mediashare features. Might be good for the TV's streaming apps as well, but I haven't put it to the test. Here, the source signals are received by the TV and are then routed to the AVR. As opposed to the BD player, Xbox or other component where the sound signal is sent to the AVR and not the TV. Yes, a toslink cable can perform the same function sending the sound signal from TV to AVR, but the ARC feature means one less cable to deal with which is nice.

I don't mind about having to use the extra optical cable. But rather I worry about in the future if they ever do TrueHD or DTS HD then that will require the HDMI.

Quote:
By the way, I do have the same issues with CEC where the AVR switches to the wrong input. It's kind of a hassle but it doesn't bother me enough to give up the ARC feature.

What AVR manufacturer and model are you using please? I am trying to get Samsung to fix the issue and want to gather as much information as I can to provde it is not the AVR but rather a bug with the TV.
post #52 of 77 Old 12-16-2010, 09:31 AM

Right i will try and give as much info for you so you can build your data base before contacting samsung

Equipment,

Samasung PS50C6900 uk model
Onkyo htx22hdx avr all in one.
Sony PS3
Sky HD box

Firstly my connections

Sky goes to tv hdmi 1 directly with a TOSLink to dig 3 on the avr no DD over hdmi on a sky box( i wanted seperate controls over picture for sky and ps3)

Onkyo goes from hdmi out on avr to hdmi 2 on tv as this has arc

PS3 goes to hdmi 1 input on avr.

Right when i turn on the tv the avr turns on by itself(most of the time).
When i turn tv off avr turns off(most of the time)

When i select hdmi 1 on tv for Sky HD avr goes to arc and plays stereo sound(this is what tv gets from sky). If i want DD i have to manualy select dig3

If i turn ps3 on and then turn tv to hdmi 2 the avr goes to the last manualy set input, so if it was hdmi 1 i get the ps3 sound and picture. Which is correct. I get True Hd sound and master audio correctly. If however the last input was say dig 3 which is dd from sky i have to manualy select hdmi 1 to get ps3 picture and sound.

If i then go back to hdmi 1 on tv avr goes back to arc and sky picture is on tv.

When i go to media p i get sound from arc to avr correctly and once the dts or dd soundtrack is selected it is remembered by the tv for future plays.

Sorry if its a bit long winded but hope it helps your cause.

Regards Dre
post #53 of 77 Old 12-16-2010, 11:13 AM

Quote:

What AVR manufacturer and model are you using please? I am trying to get Samsung to fix the issue and want to gather as much information as I can to provde it is not the AVR but rather a bug with the TV.

I have:

Samsung PN63C8000 TV
Pioneer VSX-32 AVR
Samsung BD-C5900 3D BD Player
post #54 of 77 Old 12-20-2010, 08:33 PM

TV is playing Free to Air channels using Antenna. AVR HDMI Out is connected to TV HDMI2 (ARC). I am wondering how to make ARC work and TV send audio to AVR via HDMI.

I tried few options but it didn't work. Both my TV & AVR supports HDMI 1.4. Changing my AVR input after TV switched on both TV & AVR. This didn't help. Is it something to do with HDMI cable used between TV & AVR?

Can someone please guide me with step by step instructions. Thanks.
post #55 of 77 Old 12-20-2010, 09:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maavericc View Post
TV is playing Free to Air channels using Antenna. AVR HDMI Out is connected to TV HDMI2 (ARC). I am wondering how to make ARC work and TV send audio to AVR via HDMI.

I tried few options but it didn't work. Both my TV & AVR supports HDMI 1.4. Changing my AVR input after TV switched on both TV & AVR. This didn't help. Is it something to do with HDMI cable used between TV & AVR?

Can someone please guide me with step by step instructions. Thanks.
A few tips. Make sure you plugged your HDMI cable into the HDMI input on the Samsung labeled ARC. Make sure that HDMI CEC is enabled in both your receiver and the TV. Make sure your receiver has ARC enabled and you have selected the AVR input on the receiver you want it to use.
post #56 of 77 Old 01-01-2011, 06:43 PM

...it's just not easy.

In order to pass along 5.1, when you are watching the content, press 'Tools' on your remote, then go to Audio Options and the DD options becomes available. Why this has to be such a battle....

Like others say, make sure Anynet is on. Also ensure that your receiver's HDMI control is set to on.
post #57 of 77 Old 01-20-2011, 11:44 PM

Hello AV Gurus,
I have hooked up my receiver and TV to use HDMI ARC functionality to pass audio from TV programs (OTA, network streaming video etc) to my AV receiver. I see it works but there is a consistent break every second in audio play in sync with the blinking speaker display. Please see the issue in this uploaded youtube video (youtube.com/watch?v=c7XDX01NS5o) Any solution on how to fix it?

Thanks for your help

Satish
post #58 of 77 Old 01-31-2011, 10:50 AM

So, I've got a Samsung PN63C8000 arriving soon, along with a Pioneer VSX-1100-K receiver. I just realized that the VSX-1100-K may not have ARC support. Can anyone confirm if this is the case? If not, am I understanding correctly that I just need to run a digital audio cable from the TV to my receiver to pick up sounds from the Samsung apps? Is there anything I'm missing out on by not having ARC?

Also, I'm going to be wall-mounting my system. Aside from the HDMI cable and the digital audio cable, are there any other cables I should consider connecting to the TV? Thanks in advance!
post #59 of 77 Old 02-03-2011, 09:23 AM

^^^

Ethernet.
post #60 of 77 Old 02-06-2011, 08:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
In order to use internet@tv the best solution I have found is to run all hdmi from integra dtr 20.2 to un55c8000. For Internet tv I run a optical cable from the back of the tv to the integra. This way I can set up my decoding options within my receiver so I dont screw anything else up since no tv apps come in full 5.1 besides vudu.
Reply 3D Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn50c8000 50 In 3d Hdtv Plasma Tv , Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn58c8000 58 Inch 1080p 3d Plasma Hdtv Black , Onkyo Tx Sr608 Receiver , Receivers Amplifiers
Gear in this thread - Sr608 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page