Samsung C8000 and Audio Return Channel Problems? - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 77 Old 02-11-2011, 07:31 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am trying to summarize what has been discussed in this thread to give me a better understanding of how audio works with ARC. Here is what I glean from all of your previous writings in this thread:
1. HDMI-ARC works for internal sources such as ATSC/QAM tuners or Internet content with multi-channel 5.1/7.1 output (in some format either DD, DTS or PCM?). I know from reading the FAQs on ARC (hdmi.org) that it technically supports up to 8 channels of audio (7.1).
2. HDMI-ARC does not pass 5.1/7.1 multi-channel output from external sources (Blu-ray, Cable/Sat, PS3/Xbox). Rather the TV will only support 2.0 or possibly 2.1 PCM from these external sources.

Are these two items correct?

In regards to Summary #2 above: I can understand a TV not having decoders for all HD audio codecs. However, can you not send multi-channel PCM from your Blu-ray player to TV and that same PCM be sent on unchanged to your AVR using ARC? Otherwise, do the other HDMI inputs not support multi-channel PCM or other audio codecs?

-Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 77 Old 02-22-2011, 01:47 PM

Liked: 12
[quote=Raddle;19576946]That's exactly what happens to me when HDMI-CEC is "on."

QUOTE=lovingdvd.. >> If it is, then we may be able to get Samung to fix this with a firmware update.

This is what happens for me as well when I turn on the AVR/cable first - I am using an Onkyo HT-270 and the 8000 LED.

I think I avoided it last night by switching on the TV first and then the AVR/cable. I will try test it again tonight.

Hopefully Samsung comes with a simple thing like an option to select default input.
post #63 of 77 Old 02-22-2011, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 32
[quote=khansha;20046348]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddle View Post

That's exactly what happens to me when HDMI-CEC is "on."

QUOTE=lovingdvd.. >> If it is, then we may be able to get Samung to fix this with a firmware update.

This is what happens for me as well when I turn on the AVR/cable first - I am using an Onkyo HT-270 and the 8000 LED.

I think I avoided it last night by switching on the TV first and then the AVR/cable. I will try test it again tonight.

Hopefully Samsung comes with a simple thing like an option to select default input.

Yes if you turn your TV on first that will avoid it - however you will not only have to turn it on first (no big deal) but also wait until the picture displays or just before - otherwise the issue will happen. I wanted to avoid adding this long delay to my remote macro startup sequence and I doubt some family members would keep the remote pointed at the equipment long enough etc....
post #64 of 77 Old 03-15-2011, 08:59 PM

I am also facing the issue of my receiver switching automatically to the TV/CD input instead of staying on the CBL/SAT input when powering on. Anynet and ARC is switched on. Reading through this thread, it appears all Samsung TV's have this irritating issue and it is not a receiver issue. Hope Samsung will release a firmware fix if enough people complain.

What is the best way to make Samsung aware that it is an issue faced by a lot of consumers?

My setup -
Samsung PN50C680 3D Plasma
Onkyo HT-R680 (similar to Onkyo 608)
DirectTV HR24
post #65 of 77 Old 03-20-2011, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyon View Post

I am also facing the issue of my receiver switching automatically to the TV/CD input instead of staying on the CBL/SAT input when powering on. Anynet and ARC is switched on. Reading through this thread, it appears all Samsung TV's have this irritating issue and it is not a receiver issue. Hope Samsung will release a firmware fix if enough people complain.

What is the best way to make Samsung aware that it is an issue faced by a lot of consumers?

My setup -
Samsung PN50C680 3D Plasma
Onkyo HT-R680 (similar to Onkyo 608)
DirectTV HR24

Thanks for the report. Yes indeed it sounds like the same issue. It is very frustrating because there does not seem to be ANY way to get a report into the Samsung engineers. Keep us posted if you are able to make any progress on that.
post #66 of 77 Old 03-20-2011, 09:53 PM
Advanced Member

I'm still tryna get some more feedback on this issue on my c8000. While watchin movies in 2.35 aspect ratio (with the black bars on top and bottom), I notice that with different scene changes, whether it be in the lighting, motion of the camera, etc the black bars are changing from a true, solid black color (which it should be) to more of a greyish black color. Its completely random as to how long it lasts each time from what I can tell, but has become increasingly distracting to me. An example would be in a night scene with a fire, the bars would change to a greyish black with each flicker of the flames-quickly. Other scenes it may last for a few seconds and change back. Is this normal?? I looked for the same issue on my samsung lcd tv from a couple years ago but didn't notice any issue. The bars stayed a solid black throughout. Could it be a specific issue with led lcd tvs? I would appreciate any feedback at all on this. Please.
P.S. all my eco settings are off so that wouldn't be the problem...
post #67 of 77 Old 03-22-2011, 07:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmathers View Post

I'm still tryna get some more feedback on this issue on my c8000. While watchin movies in 2.35 aspect ratio (with the black bars on top and bottom), I notice that with different scene changes, whether it be in the lighting, motion of the camera, etc the black bars are changing from a true, solid black color (which it should be) to more of a greyish black color. Its completely random as to how long it lasts each time from what I can tell, but has become increasingly distracting to me. An example would be in a night scene with a fire, the bars would change to a greyish black with each flicker of the flames-quickly. Other scenes it may last for a few seconds and change back. Is this normal?? I looked for the same issue on my samsung lcd tv from a couple years ago but didn't notice any issue. The bars stayed a solid black throughout. Could it be a specific issue with led lcd tvs? I would appreciate any feedback at all on this. Please.
P.S. all my eco settings are off so that wouldn't be the problem...

Nevermind, I figured it out
post #68 of 77 Old 04-04-2011, 11:33 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingdvd View Post

Thanks for the report. Yes indeed it sounds like the same issue. It is very frustrating because there does not seem to be ANY way to get a report into the Samsung engineers. Keep us posted if you are able to make any progress on that.

Hi Lovingdvd,
Samsung does have a public forum as well on their site - http://www.samsung.com/us/support/ow...UN46C8000XFXZA

Even though it is not particularly well attended to it may be another way to get them to look into it.
post #69 of 77 Old 04-04-2011, 08:15 PM

What was the fix?
post #70 of 77 Old 04-05-2011, 06:11 PM

I connected my sat from the box to my tv and use the arc for all other connections. That is less frustrating but there does not appear to be another work around.
post #71 of 77 Old 12-02-2011, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmathers View Post

Nevermind, I figured it out

what was it?
post #72 of 77 Old 07-01-2012, 05:29 PM

I don't know if this is still of use to anyone, but:

My system is with the PN64D8000 (paired witha Denon AVR 1912). I know there may have been an upgrade from the C8000, but I get Dolby Digital 5.1 (no DTS-HD nor DD-HD) with my PS3 hooked up to my TV, and my TV to my AVR via ARC. Before anyone asks why do so, I have my reasons as others who want to do likewise (not enough inputs on the AVR, short cables etc.). So here it is how it worked for me:

- PS3 at TV's HDMI 3
- AVR at TV's HDMI 2 (ARC)
- at PS3 go to Video Setup>Audio OUT>BITSTREAM
- At TV you should get at Setup>sound>SPDIF>Dolby
- Anynet+ (HDMI-CEC) - ON
- at AVR>HDMI Setup>HDMI Control> Turn On (StandBy Source>last --- P.Off.Control>OFF)

I hope this helps.
post #73 of 77 Old 08-05-2012, 11:47 PM

Bump
post #74 of 77 Old 09-10-2012, 05:46 PM

Liked: 11
Sadly, this is still an issue, even with 2012 model displays. I just set up my new PN51E6500 -- same exact problem, where audio gets switched when I power up, so that no sound is heard. To make matters worse, I don't even get output from the TV's internal stuff at that point. I have to toggle the inputs (or the power) on the AVR, and then it works. Aggravating. FWIW, I have the Yamaha RX-A2000 receiver. Everything is set correctly, according to all I've read, both here and in manuals. I guess I'll try switching the order/delays in my remote macros. WAF took a big hit on this one! Let's see... can I throw out any more acronyms? Nope, that's all.

Would love to hear if anyone has come up with a new workaround (but I will keep breathing in the meantime). Thanks for the input!
post #75 of 77 Old 12-04-2012, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bustamelon View Post

Sadly, this is still an issue, even with 2012 model displays. I just set up my new PN51E6500 -- same exact problem, where audio gets switched when I power up, so that no sound is heard. To make matters worse, I don't even get output from the TV's internal stuff at that point. I have to toggle the inputs (or the power) on the AVR, and then it works. Aggravating. FWIW, I have the Yamaha RX-A2000 receiver. Everything is set correctly, according to all I've read, both here and in manuals. I guess I'll try switching the order/delays in my remote macros. WAF took a big hit on this one! Let's see... can I throw out any more acronyms? Nope, that's all.
Would love to hear if anyone has come up with a new workaround (but I will keep breathing in the meantime). Thanks for the input!

I have the same TV model, with the Yamaha RX-V373. It's definitely an annoying issue, switches to AV4 about 5 seconds after powering it on. I dont want to have to grab the AVR remote everytime I turn the TV on... So for now I have just disabled HDMI control on the receiver, at least until I can get a Harmony remote.
post #76 of 77 Old 06-05-2013, 08:11 AM

Liked: 11
What's weird is, while there seems to be a firmware update every other week for other models, there have been none for this one since I purchased it back in September. So I guess it's not something they're interested in fixing.
post #77 of 77 Old 12-01-2013, 03:21 AM

It took me enterily too long to get my setup working, but I now have it all "just so" and would like to share some pointers.

My setup: Yamaha RX-V667 & Samsung UE40F6740 with set-top box, PS3 and AppleTV connected via HDMI to the receier.

My Goal:

- if the TV is acting as source (e.g. SmartTV, usb-play etc.) I want to have ARC working to the reveiver

- When playing an HDMI source (e.g. settop box) I would like it to come directly from the source.

How I got this working:

- Double check that the HDMI cable is 1.4 version

- Double check that HDMI cable between TV and receiver is connected to the TV's ARC enabled HDMI port. In my case, this is HDMI 2  

(weird but true!)

- Enable ARC on both receiver and TV. In my case, the receiver prefers to assign the ARC-input channel to AV4. I renamed AV4 on the receiver to "TV-return" to help me remember whats going on. Note: Assigning ARC disables the fysical AV4 input on the back of the receiver

-In the Samsungs menu, go to "Universal remote setup" to check "Connected Devices" and make sure the Receiver is configured as connected to the ARC-HDMI port.

-Turn TV and Receiver to standby and on again. 

During turning on, I see my reveiver switch first to the settopbox, and then to TV-return (av4) but with the HDMI video still showing, and then back to the set-top box again. Weird, but it seems to be some sort of quick pairing going on.

To test ARC, play a Youtube video on the TV or something. When entering the SmartTV apps menu, I see the receiver switch to "TV-return (av1)" and I hear the Youtube audio through the receiver.

Hope this helps someone!

Reply 3D Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn50c8000 50 In 3d Hdtv Plasma Tv , Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn58c8000 58 Inch 1080p 3d Plasma Hdtv Black , Onkyo Tx Sr608 Receiver , Receivers Amplifiers
Gear in this thread - Sr608 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page