Buying my first 3D TV but not sure which panel to go with... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 06-21-2010, 09:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am stuck between a Samsung UN55C7000 LED LCD and a 65"(73") Mitsubishi DLP TV. Obviously the first difference is the size of the TVs but the price is also vastly different. The Sammy totals up to $1800 while the 65" Mitsu costs $900 and the 73" was on sale for around $1200. Is the price discrepancy directly related to the PQ of these sets? Why is the 55" LED TV more expensive than the 65" or even the 73". Even the 46" Sammy (7000/8000 series) is a tad costlier than the DLP sets from Mitsu... Why is that? Is it because of the old DLP technology? Is LED really that much better? I am getting a new TV and to me PQ is the #1 priority. Are the Sammy's worth their weight in gold or are the low-cost DLPs just under-appreciated?

If I was to set these 2 TVs up (local BB only has the Sammy 46"/55"), will I notice a difference in PQ? I am no videophile but if its going to take one to notice a difference then I think I would be satisfied with the DLP TVs... I know there's quite a few on here that own either the Sammy 7000/8000 series or the Mitsu DLPs and would like to hear some feedback on these sets. If was on a budget, I'd definitely go for the "cheaper" TVs but I'm not (can't afford Kuros/Elites though). Anything below 2k is within reach. Just trying to make a good decision for my next TV purchase.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 06-21-2010, 11:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xplosive View Post

I am stuck between a Samsung UN55C7000 LED LCD and a 65"(73") Mitsubishi DLP TV. Obviously the first difference is the size of the TVs but the price is also vastly different. The Sammy totals up to $1800 while the 65" Mitsu costs $900 and the 73" was on sale for around $1200. Is the price discrepancy directly related to the PQ of these sets? Why is the 55" LED TV more expensive than the 65" or even the 73". Even the 46" Sammy (7000/8000 series) is a tad costlier than the DLP sets from Mitsu... Why is that? Is it because of the old DLP technology? Is LED really that much better? I am getting a new TV and to me PQ is the #1 priority. Are the Sammy's worth their weight in gold or are the low-cost DLPs just under-appreciated?

If I was to set these 2 TVs up (local BB only has the Sammy 46"/55"), will I notice a difference in PQ? I am no videophile but if its going to take one to notice a difference then I think I would be satisfied with the DLP TVs... I know there's quite a few on here that own either the Sammy 7000/8000 series or the Mitsu DLPs and would like to hear some feedback on these sets. If was on a budget, I'd definitely go for the "cheaper" TVs but I'm not (can't afford Kuros/Elites though). Anything below 2k is within reach. Just trying to make a good decision for my next TV purchase.

Honestly, I think getting one of the Mits DLP's might be the best way to go temporarily. I would do the same thing, if I didn't have an entertainment center that just won't fit those big Mits. My entertainment center can only fit a 52 inch widescreen in it. I might be able to "barely" squeeze a 54 incher in there, but that's about it. If I didn't have that entertainment center to deal with, I would just go get a giant Mits, and use that as my stop gap 3D option until the prices of all the 3D stuff come way down, and they improve in quality. Also, I'd really be waiting for the 3D projectors to come out, and get cheaper, etc, etc.

But yeah, a Mits DLP is probably a smart way to go right now, cause you'll save a ton of money, and you'll be able to dip your toes in the 3D waters. I would however first wait for Mits to release their adapter, just to make sure that it works with the PS3 for 3D gaming, as well as with Direct TV for their 3D channels. I'd have to make sure that it works good with both of those sources. Assuming it does, then the Mits is a great lower cost option.

In fact, I wouldn't be looking for a new Mits DLP, I'd be looking for a used one for like $500. You know there are some people out there with huge used Mits DLP's that just want to get rid of thing, that have no idea whatsoever that they have 3D capabilities. Alot of people that bought large DLP's a few years ago are looking to get rid of them, and get flat panel, hang on the wall displays instead. Take advantage of the situation and snag one for dirt cheap. That's what I would do if I didn't have the damn entertainment center, and a Wife that is unwilling to part with the entertainment center.
post #3 of 15 Old 06-22-2010, 04:43 AM
Advanced Member

You most likely will notice a difference in picture quality; if you sit more than 10 feet away, the Mitsubishi will have better resolution as well as color. At least 90% of those who purchase LCDs can not see 1080P resolution. Call it the female effect, if you will, but most LCD purchasers are more interested in how the TV looks off than on. However, that phenomenon benefits those of us who are fortunate enough to have to have an understanding other half, or a man cave, by permitting us to purchase Mitsubishi 3-D DLP's without a 3-D price premium. Go with the 73 inch Mitsubishi and enjoy both 3-D and 1080p.
post #4 of 15 Old 06-22-2010, 06:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Was I under the erroneous assumption that the Mits was 1/2 resolution for 3D playback (checkerboard)? How would this be better than some slight lose in full 1080p resolution during panning scenes on an LCD? Personally, I would wait and see what the other manufactures have on offer this summer. For the price the Mits looks like a best buy, but again I'd wait to make sure 3D will function properly with it. The one big advantage of the Samsung (for some people at least) is the 2D to 3D conversion which might be of interest to you, especially if you're a gamer.
post #5 of 15 Old 06-22-2010, 07:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
The Mits pricing above AFAIK is the close out pricing for the 2009 models. The 2010 Mits are more and one benefit of them is that later this year they have an upgrade enabling them to receive full resolution output from 3D Blu-ray players using the 1020p frame packing format and 3D 720p SbS format in addition to 3D 1080i SbS format which they can receive now eliminating the need for conversion to checkerboard using an adapter
post #6 of 15 Old 06-22-2010, 10:21 AM
Advanced Member

I think there's a confusion here between input and output. Only Blu ray HDMI 1.4 has the bandwidth for frame packing 1080p 3d. Everything else(cable,ota,etc.) is 1080i or 720p 3d. However, if 2009 Mitsubishi DLP is connected to a HDMI 1.4 1080p 3d source through the $99 adapter, you will see 1080p 3d.
post #7 of 15 Old 06-22-2010, 10:22 AM
Advanced Member

post #8 of 15 Old 06-22-2010, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

On a side note, I've yet to see a LCD with really impressive 3D. So that would be a big concern for me. LCD and 3D don't appear to be a match made in heaven so far. So you might want to consider DLP vs. Plasma at this point.
post #9 of 15 Old 06-22-2010, 01:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post

On a side note, I've yet to see a LCD with really impressive 3D. So that would be a big concern for me. LCD and 3D don't appear to be a match made in heaven so far. So you might want to consider DLP vs. Plasma at this point.

The Panny VT20/25 plasmas are out of my price range... The 50" is quite expensive.
post #10 of 15 Old 06-22-2010, 01:52 PM

Quote:

The Panny VT20/25 plasmas are out of my price range... The 50" is quite expensive.

You can get it reasonably from cleveland plasma. Save your pennies. worf it.
post #11 of 15 Old 06-22-2010, 02:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abilor View Post

You can get it reasonably from cleveland plasma. Save your pennies. worf it.

The Panny's dont do 2D->3D conversions, right?
post #12 of 15 Old 06-22-2010, 03:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The VT20 deal that Best Buy had (it's expired, but maybe they would still offer it), basically makes the VT20 $575 more expensive than a Samsung PN50C7000, and that's if you got the Sammy when Fry's had a special super low price on it. The Best Buy VT20 deal basically included 3 pairs of glasses, and you also have the mail in for 2 free 3D Blu Ray movies (Coraline & Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs). I give the glasses a $95 value each, and I give the 3D Blu Ray's a $30 value each. But after all calculations, it's basically a $575 difference, which isn't that huge if you consider the dramatically improved black level (for now), and the overall superior 2D and 3D picture quality.
post #13 of 15 Old 06-22-2010, 03:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

The Panny's dont do 2D->3D conversions, right?

correct.
post #14 of 15 Old 06-22-2010, 07:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:

View the TVs in the store, then make your decision. BB has both brands in stock.

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb

post #15 of 15 Old 06-22-2010, 08:08 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I bought the first Mitsubishi 65"DLP for $15,000 when it was new technology and it still is amazing. Two years ago I gave it away for free (300#) to a friend and bought a 73" which is now in the bedroom and a new 82" in my entertainment center (built new base and top bar). I am still amazed at the picture quality and firmly believe you need a big TV for 3D.

Therefore my recomendation is the DLP (they are much narrower than originally). Playing Avatar for 75 hours in 3D was amazing. I cant comment on 3DBR movies as today was the first day you can buy one separetly (bought Cloudy..Meatballs) and now have to wait for the Mitsubishi adaptor ($100-July 28th) and PS3 3DBR upgrade (?). I expect the picture quality to also be excellent based on seeing 3D demos on Mitsubishi sets using a PC with Nvidea video GPU.
Reply 3D Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page