Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 98 Old 07-02-2010, 09:22 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post

Are all video decoders the same? That function is done in the SoC. Are Broadcom, Sigma Designs and Panasonic's Unipher SoCs equal in performance?

Yes. There are compliance test to assure this. The differences are in additional filtering, scaling, smoothing, edge enhancement etc. down the line in the processing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 98 Old 07-10-2010, 11:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Saw my first LG 3D set tonight at BB. There seemed to be quite a lot of crosstalk so it seemed disappointing to me. On the bright side, part of their demo included clips form an underwater sea life movie that was first seen in IMAX. Some great shots of BIG fish heads sticking out of the screen almost to you nose that will make all those folks who don't think they are seeing 3D unless it in right in your face very happy...and this is RIGHT IN YOUR FACE!

They had the new Sony set but it wasn't set up for 3D viewing yet. I really want the least amount of crosstalk as possible but it's really hard to get a good idea of different sets at BB as they are all adjusted differently. I miss the days when you could compare sets between BB, Good Guys and CC.

I've also spent some time watching some 3d content on the UN55C9000 55" 1080p 3D LED and found the crosstalk to be greatly improved. I wonder if this is better than crosstalk found on the 8000 series? Anyone with an 8000 sorry for their purchase? Also why are the Sonys looking so bad. Think a firmware update is in the works?
post #93 of 98 Old 07-11-2010, 06:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Since the store demo systems all run in "Torch" mode in order to appear to be better then the other brands by maximiazing the brightness under store lighting contidions this causes 3D systems to have more crosstalk when scenes with a lot of light colored content to be displayd. Normaly at home you run in a normal or standard mode with about 1/2 of the brightness used in stores so crosstalk due to the glases themselves is reduced.
post #94 of 98 Old 07-11-2010, 07:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked: 540
Doing this won`t reduce cross talk one bit. The crosstalk caused by the glasses will not change. But, ones susceptability to seeing the main artifact of crosstalk, ghosting, is based on brightness and some other things. So running in lower light modes or even better yet, unplugging the display from the mains, will substantially reduce visible ghosting and in my later suggestion completely eliminate it.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
post #95 of 98 Old 07-11-2010, 12:36 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by walford View Post

Since the store demo systems all run in "Torch" mode in order to appear to be better then the other brands by maximiazing the brightness under store lighting contidions this causes 3D systems to have more crosstalk when scenes with a lot of light colored content to be displayd. Normaly at home you run in a normal or standard mode with about 1/2 of the brightness used in stores so crosstalk due to the glases themselves is reduced.

That and 2 Best Buys I went to were inadvertently demoing 2D-3D conversion and did not even know.
post #96 of 98 Old 07-11-2010, 03:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblackkeys View Post

That and 2 Best Buys I went to were inadvertently demoing 2D-3D conversion and did not even know.

And of course the the 2D - 3D conversion uses very little image displacement to create the 3D effect so there is an absence of crosstalk making it seem like a moot problem. Just back from BB and it's interesting that Sony has been pushing their mastery of 3D but it's really not stressed in their displays. And you have to beg to get the glasses.

Also, at two BB I've been to lately I asked to see 3D on a Samsung 8000 series set and in both cases they turned on the 2D conversion. Viewing misshapen human heads doesn't really sell a person on 3D. But hey....no crosstalk on the conversion!

Right now I'm torn between the Sammy 55" C8000 and the Panny TC-P54VT25. Everyone seems to agree that the Panny is a great set. I would like to hear from you Sammy 8000 series owners.....any buyers remorse? How does it's crosstalk/ghosting compare to the Panny?
post #97 of 98 Old 07-11-2010, 05:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
It is a shame that the staff at your local BB is toallly ingnorant when it comes to any thing relative to 3D..
post #98 of 98 Old 07-11-2010, 10:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by walford View Post

It is a shame that the staff at your local BB is toallly ingnorant when it comes to any thing relative to 3D..

I have a feeling it goes a lot deeper than that. I miss the days sales people got commision.
Reply 3D Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page