DLP vs. LED vs. Plasma - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 50 Old 06-30-2010, 05:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
So far I have been able to view the 3D images on a Samsung, both LED & Plasma, the G25 Series Panasonic and the Sony HX 800 which I currently have.

However, in most all cases bigger is better as far as TV's are concerned so my question is this:

Do the forum members feel that the new series Mits DLP 3D ready TV's can be the equal of any of the above mentioned 3D TV's as far as 3D image quality, brightness & contrast ( projector reviews on projectorcentral.com has lead to believe that DLP always has a better contrast ratio vs. LCD).

I do know that the off axis of the Mits DLP TV's and he depth of the TV leaves something to be desired but that wouldn't be a deal breaker for me.

Now that Mits is getting ready to release their 3D adapter kit along with 2 pair of glasses I'm wondering if that's not the way to go.

I would appreciate any/all of your comments.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 50 Old 06-30-2010, 06:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Technically, DLP isn't as accurate in terms of actually pixels displayed. In practical terms, the perception of the difference isn't nearly as great as the raw numbers might suggest. There certainly doesn't appear to be a 50% reduction in resolution. The only way to know for sure is to watch and compare.

Joe Clark

post #3 of 50 Old 06-30-2010, 06:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I'm kind of in the same boat.
I've narrowed it down to Panny 65" VT25 or the Mitsu DLP which is considerably cheaper. Either would go on a stand on top of my entertainment console so that's not an issue. I would consider the Panny to be my TV for a few years. The Mitsu would be a stop-gap until 3D is better implemented. Not sure which way to go. 2D PQ is actually the most important consideration for me.
post #4 of 50 Old 06-30-2010, 08:53 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro J View Post

I've narrowed it down to Panny 65" VT25 or the Mitsu DLP which is considerably cheaper. Either would go on a stand on top of my entertainment console so that's not an issue. I would consider the Panny to be my TV for a few years. The Mitsu would be a stop-gap until 3D is better implemented. Not sure which way to go. 2D PQ is actually the most important consideration for me.

Panny wins in 2D and 3D. Time to hit ebay for the extra fliff.
post #5 of 50 Old 06-30-2010, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

The VT25 should be capable of having the better PQ between the two (though how much better may be a matter of opinion), but is it worth paying twice as much for? That's really the ultimate question I think.

PSN - Mr_Frisch
XBL - Mr Frisch
Steam - Sneaky Pete
post #6 of 50 Old 06-30-2010, 02:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I'd say grab the DLP as a stop-gap for a year or so. This way if they release HDMI 1.4b with 1080p 3D gaming you won't have such a huge investment that buying a new set will suck lol.
post #7 of 50 Old 06-30-2010, 04:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I played Avatar in 3D for 75 hours on my 82" DLP and was very pleased. My curiousity regarding 3D BR movies quality in chekerboard output was answered when my local entertainment store hooked up a 73" Mitsubishi DLP with the Panosonic 3D player and showed Monsters vs Alliens. The picture quality was as least as good as Samsung or Panasonic and the 3D effect was much better on the big screen. More detailed observation will have to wait until the Mitsubishi adaptor and PS3 upgrade are available.
post #8 of 50 Old 06-30-2010, 05:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Thanks for the comments guys. With the Dell deal on a C9 for $899 (65"), this is making it quite a tough decision.
post #9 of 50 Old 06-30-2010, 05:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 18
My only complaint about my 65" DLP is now that I've watched my first two 3D BD's is I find myself wishing I shelled out the extra cost for the 73" DLP.
post #10 of 50 Old 06-30-2010, 06:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenisG View Post

My only complaint about my 65" DLP is now that I've watched my first two 3D BD's is I find myself wishing I shelled out the extra cost for the 73" DLP.

I was amazed that I was able to talk my wife into a 65" DLP. Once we got it and she saw the Grand Canyon teaser, her first comment was "Wow...I'll bet this would look even better on a larger set."
post #11 of 50 Old 06-30-2010, 09:11 PM
AVS Special Member

I've never quite understood why the dislike for DLPs, but, everything is in the eye of the viewer.

If you're going to buy a DLP, purchase the biggest one you can afford. And who cares that the base is 8" thick, it's not like you're hanging it on a wall.

Currently testing 3D with Sammy DLP, shutter glasses, and HTPC
post #12 of 50 Old 07-01-2010, 12:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 169
No comparison really, the Plasma's are superior to the DLP's on both 2D and 3D, I have seen each tech demonstrated many times over and it's a 'no contest' comparison. Even the LED based LCD's are superior to the DLP's in many ways, and I am a long time (biased) DLP front projection fan (own a Mitsu DLP FP). The Mitsu RPDLP's are a great value, no doubt, but their image quality falls short of a good flat panel (my cousin owns the 65C9 and I have viewed the 73" Diamond and the 82" on many occasions). I considered buying the 73" Diamond for a period but then after doing many direct comparisons I realized I would not be satisfied with the over-all image quality (even though the $/inch ratio was much better).

Jason
post #13 of 50 Old 07-01-2010, 07:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGamePimp View Post

No comparison really, the Plasma's are superior to the DLP's on both 2D and 3D.

Jason

I have to go along with taz291819's conclusion that everything is in the eye of the beholder. All the others above who found DLP's image to be equal or better than LCDs and plasmas, have obviously had the opportunity to compare because LCDs and plasmas are ubiquitous. My son who has a 2009 50' Samsung plasma said that my DLP's image was clearly superior to his (and he wasn't just soft soaping the old man).
post #14 of 50 Old 07-01-2010, 08:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Well, certain aspects of a television's performance are measurable - contrast, brightness, black level, horizontal and vertical resolution, gray scale tracking, etc. With a rear projector, things like geometry come into play (for instance, do straight lines appear straight and not bowed? how much overscan is there? etc.). LCDs and Plasmas won't have problems with geometry. OTOH, a DLP might have better contrast and shadow detail than a given LCD. Until we have some definitive 3D test images and motion video, evaluation of 3D performance on these sets is mainly conjecture.

Rear projection DLP has the edge when it comes to sheer screen size - no doubt about that. For me, that's at least as important as any other factor with 3D. A big screen is important because it pushes the edges of the image further into my periphery. That's where the illusion of the 3D world ends and the real world intrudes. 3D helps me suspend my disbelief better than 2D. The last thing I want is to be smacked back to reality by the hard lines of a television's bezel.

That's not to say that a smaller 3D TV can't provide a satisfying experience. Clearly, it can. I'm just saying that if I had my druthers, I'd always watch 3D on the biggest screen possible. (Of course, I feel the same way about HD and screen size.) My best 3D experience to date in some ways was the 3D film of the space station that I saw years ago at the Smithsonian in Washington. It was an IMAX, wrap-around screen. I got lost in it.

I really don't know what the objective tests have shown about DLP rear projection relative to other types of displays. I'd bet that the bigger screen would easily make up for some deficiencies in other areas. One thing I do know is that I'm going to find out. I helped my sister pick out a Mits rear pro the other day (her first HDTV), and when she's ready I'll help her get set up for 3D on it. I'll be watching quite a bit at her house when that happens.

Joe Clark

post #15 of 50 Old 07-01-2010, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter0328 View Post

I'd say grab the DLP as a stop-gap for a year or so. This way if they release HDMI 1.4b with 1080p 3D gaming you won't have such a huge investment that buying a new set will suck lol.

GREAT advise! the new tvs are really overpriced considering the lack of features and 3d BD content.

Intel I7 920 overclocked 4ghz
Asus Rampage Extreme II
2 Ge-force 480 in SLI
295 PhysX Card
12gb 2000mhz ram
Intel SSD RAID
BR RW
1000w Sony
Mitsubishi 65" 3d HDTV
NVIDIA 3D Vision
post #16 of 50 Old 11-20-2010, 01:50 PM

I apologize for bringing up an old thread, but after watching 3D on my 73" DLP, I believe that DLP is the way to go. I have done extensive research on Plasma/LCD/LED/DLP tv's before deciding on Mitsu 73" DLP couple of months ago. I see Samsung/Panasonic 3D displays playing 3D at Best Buy/Sam's club all the time, but that picture cannot beat what I get out of the Mitsu 3D DLP TV. No ghosting can be appreciated. As I said in a previous post on my setup, Mitsu DLP's 3D even beats the movie theater's 3D...

my 0.02 cents....

-ML
post #17 of 50 Old 11-20-2010, 07:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I like my Samsung LCD 3DTV for casual viewing and as a 3D computer monitor on my desk.
I like my 82 inch Mitsubishi DLP for movie watching, especially when viewing dark material.
I like My Panasonic VT-20 for ............well,,,,,nothing since I can't stand the glasses and lack of essential 3D mode support.

Did IQ's suddenly drop sharply while I was away?
I enjoy 3D in spite of HDMI 1.4!
Full screen only 3D doesn't cut it!
post #18 of 50 Old 11-21-2010, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bontrager View Post

So far I have been able to view the 3D images on a Samsung, both LED & Plasma, the G25 Series Panasonic and the Sony HX 800 which I currently have.

However, in most all cases bigger is better as far as TV's are concerned so my question is this:

Do the forum members feel that the new series Mits DLP 3D ready TV's can be the equal of any of the above mentioned 3D TV's as far as 3D image quality, brightness & contrast ( projector reviews on projectorcentral.com has lead to believe that DLP always has a better contrast ratio vs. LCD).

I do know that the off axis of the Mits DLP TV's and he depth of the TV leaves something to be desired but that wouldn't be a deal breaker for me.

Now that Mits is getting ready to release their 3D adapter kit along with 2 pair of glasses I'm wondering if that's not the way to go.

I would appreciate any/all of your comments.

DLP is the top performer under any aspect.

Mathew Orman
post #19 of 50 Old 11-22-2010, 10:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I was wacthing a cable channel that sell's stuff and they where selling the 65 inch mitsfor a good price the tv looks nice but years ago i was at sears and they had a DLP
and the off angel viewing was poor i mean you could not see the pic it was like blacked out. did they fix this on then ewer tvs and the guy said these are.brand new 7 series
post #20 of 50 Old 11-22-2010, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazz3 View Post

I was wacthing a cable channel that sell's stuff and they where selling the 65 inch mitsfor a good price the tv looks nice but years ago i was at sears and they had a DLP
and the off angel viewing was poor i mean you could not see the pic it was like blacked out. did they fix this on then ewer tvs and the guy said these are.brand new 7 series

Not an issue on my 2010 mits 73"....
post #21 of 50 Old 11-29-2010, 02:58 PM

You mean the viewing angle issue is much better on the 2010 Mitsubishi models? I read somewhere it was 40 degrees on DLP. That's depressing, I hope it's inaccurate for the newer models. We just got a WD60C10 and I am anxious to see it hooked up, it hasn't shipped yet though.
post #22 of 50 Old 11-29-2010, 04:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pamster View Post

You mean the viewing angle issue is much better on the 2010 Mitsubishi models? I read somewhere it was 40 degrees on DLP. That's depressing, I hope it's inaccurate for the newer models. We just got a WD60C10 and I am anxious to see it hooked up, it hasn't shipped yet though.

Don't worry about it--you'll love it.
post #23 of 50 Old 11-29-2010, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmalter0 View Post
Don't worry about it--you'll love it.
Thanks pmalter0! I can hardly stand to wait! It shipped finally too! WOO HOO!!
post #24 of 50 Old 12-01-2010, 08:00 AM

Ya i goit the 60638 60" t.v. on black friday and i did myy research on this t.v. and did in store comparison with the lcd and plasmas, and I liked the Mit.DLP the best and when the guy switched it to 3D my jaw dropped. Though, I wish had shelled at more cash for a bigger screen, but over all very happy and with the cost at $599 how can you go wrong. If anyone has tips on setting up the calibration on the 60638 t.v. please help with that. I just have everything at 50 and using "natural" with video noise off (what is video noise anyway?) and color temp. set at low. Also can someone explain film mode to me? I have this feature on, should it be off? Thanks
post #25 of 50 Old 12-03-2010, 04:42 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
What about viewing in bright lit room?
I read that LCD TVs are brighter than anything else which helps in this case.
I currently have LCD on maximum brightness and it's barely enough because I can't make the room dim during the day.
Suppose I would be watching 2D only in the day time. Would DLP or Plasma be comparable?
post #26 of 50 Old 12-07-2010, 07:54 PM

Just got my "cyber monday" wd60c10. I'm lovin' it. Just upgraded my 720p Panny plasma to a Sharp Aquos lcd a couple weeks ago but couldn't resist the price on this big screen. $599 with cash back from Discover!! Lovin' the picture. Coming from a smaller 40 and 42 inch, I really notice a huge difference between broadcast and bluray hd. Off axis is greatly improved from older rp screens. Really a non-issue now. Picture is great and (so far) don't notice a big difference in black levels from my plasma.
post #27 of 50 Old 12-07-2010, 09:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by micksh View Post

What about viewing in bright lit room?
I read that LCD TVs are brighter than anything else which helps in this case.
I currently have LCD on maximum brightness and it's barely enough because I can't make the room dim during the day.
Suppose I would be watching 2D only in the day time. Would DLP or Plasma be comparable?

I don't recommend a brightly lit room for any TV.

All TVs, whether they are Plasmas, LCDs, or DLPs have their pros and cons, but properly calibrated, each type should be set pretty much the same as far as screen brightness goes. The speedometer in your car may go up to 120, but that doesn't make it practical to drive it that speed all the time.

I would recommend finding the set with the least reflective screen.

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb

post #28 of 50 Old 12-08-2010, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movie_lover2001 View Post

I apologize for bringing up an old thread, but after watching 3D on my 73" DLP, I believe that DLP is the way to go. I have done extensive research on Plasma/LCD/LED/DLP tv's before deciding on Mitsu 73" DLP couple of months ago. I see Samsung/Panasonic 3D displays playing 3D at Best Buy/Sam's club all the time, but that picture cannot beat what I get out of the Mitsu 3D DLP TV. No ghosting can be appreciated. As I said in a previous post on my setup, Mitsu DLP's 3D even beats the movie theater's 3D...

my 0.02 cents....

-ML

That about sums it up. Same experience as me.
post #29 of 50 Old 12-08-2010, 11:39 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadocs View Post

That about sums it up. Same experience as me.

Same here.
post #30 of 50 Old 12-08-2010, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movie_lover2001 View Post

No ghosting can be appreciated.

I love the irony in this language! Kind of like when you go for a criminal records check and it says they failed to disclose a matching record. Cheers.
Reply 3D Displays