3DTV Reviews/Comparisons - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 36 Old 07-14-2010, 11:45 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I figured that it might be nice to have a dedicated thread for user reviews of all the 3DTVs currently available on the market. This thread will include reviews of 3DTVs and 3D glasses but will eventually be expanded to include 3D sources such as Blu-ray players, video game consoles, PCs, etc. My goal is to keep it organized in an easy to read format that contains all the information any prospective 3D enthusiast would want to help decide which hardware to purchase. If you would like to add your own review/comparison of a 3D setup please follow the same format used in this post to make browsing and comparing easier.

Here is my comparisons and reviews of all the 3D configurations I have seen to date. It will be expanded through time as more models are released and I am able to view more demos.

3DTV Reviews:

3DTV: Samsung UN55C7000 (LED edge-lit)
3D Glasses: Samsung SSG-2100AB (battery), Samsung SSG-2200AR (rechargeable)
3D Blu-ray Player: Samsung BD-C6900
3D Content: MvA 3D demo Blu-ray, MvA 3D Blu-ray

Pros:
-Thin display
-Great 3D effect (9.5/10)
-Cheap (and often on sale and/or includes bundles)
-Many user adjustable options within settings to adjust picture and 3D effects/sync
-2D->3D conversion
-Supports optional 1.4a 3D formats (line-by-line (Xpol), vertical stripe, checkerboard, frequency (page flip))
-Low to zero ghosting/crosstalk (mostly dependent on content)
-Moderate 3D effect is maintained while head is tilted at 45 degrees
-Playback of SbS, TnB, and 2D->3D conversion of video files up to 1920x1080p via USB flash drive

Cons:
-Image becomes darker as head is tilted and becomes completely black at 90 degrees
-Cumbersome menus and prompts to enable 3D mode
-Backlight clouding is present and poor blacks (7.5/10)
-Reflective display

Review:

The Samsung UN55C7000 has so many great features it's hard to know where to start. First off, the 3D effect is phenomenal. It is only surpassed by the Panasonic in that regard. Blacks are also decent for a mid-range 3D set but does show noticeable clouding and greyness not apparent in any other 3DTV from Samsung, Sony, or Panasonic. One of the best features of all Samsung 3DTVs is their support of a ton of 3D input formats. This includes supporting optional HDMI 1.4a 3D formats, 3D movie playback from flash drives, and 2D->3D conversion.

Both of the Samsung 3D glasses are also very comfortable. They sit in the middle of my scale right in between the Panasonic on the "absolutely suck" end and the Sony on the "these feel like Oakleys" end.

One of the oddities I found when comparing the MvA demo disc and the full 3D Blu-ray is that the 3D and sharpness on the full version appears to be better than the demo. Due to time constraints I was unable to view the same scenes contained on the demo disc on the full Blu-ray, but from what I did see I was much more blown away simply watching the first 5 minutes of the movie compared to the entire demo disc.

The only real downside that will be constantly annoying is the way to enable 3D. If your content is 3DBD then the Blu-ray player will ask 2D or 3D. If you choose 3D the TV will then popup saying put your glasses on and you will need to press OK. If the content is anything else you will need to start playing it and then press the 3D button. You will then get the message to turn on the glasses. The next prompt asks what format the 3D is. The screen flickers every time you press left or right to change to the next format. If you are using "Media Play" from a flash drive it also will turn off 3D every time you hit the return button.

The Samsung C7000 series was the first modern 3DTV on the market. It includes more features than its competition from other manufacturers and is only beaten in overall performance by the C8000 and C9000 series offered by Samsung. What the Samsung C7000 series lacks from its higher-end siblings it makes up for with price. It is consistently offered with hundreds of dollars taken off the MSRP and also includes insane bundle deals such as a 3D Blu-ray player, 2-4 3D glasses, Monsters vs Aliens 3D Blu-ray, and home installation for prices sometimes no greater than the TVs MSRP! Honestly the Samsung UN55C7000 is almost impossible not to recommend. It offers some of the best value to be had in the 3DTV marketplace and is extremely competitive with its features and specifications.

3D experience: 9.5/10
2D PQ: 8.5/10
Overall value: 9/10

----------------------------

3DTV: Samsung UN55C9000 (LED edge-lit)
3D Glasses: Samsung SSG-2200AR (rechargeable)
3D STB: DirecTV (unknown model)
3D Content: World Cup, ESPN3D advertisements, N3D demo channel, underwater short documentary

Pros:
-Thinnest display on market
-Great blacks (9/10)
-Great 3D effect (9.5/10)
-Many user adjustable options within settings to adjust picture and 3D effects/sync
-2D->3D conversion
-Supports optional 1.4a 3D formats (line-by-line (Xpol), vertical stripe, checkerboard, frequency (page flip))
-Low to zero ghosting/crosstalk (mostly dependent on content)
-Moderate 3D effect is maintained while head is tilted at 45 degrees
-Touchscreen remote that allows playback of on screen content (non-3D) on remote
-Playback of SbS, TnB, and 2D->3D conversion of video files up to 1920x1080p via USB flash drive
-Slideout on-TV controls for power, volume, channel, and source

Cons:
-Insane cost ($7k!)
-Image becomes darker as head is tilted and becomes completely black at 90 degrees
-Cumbersome menus and prompts to enable 3D mode
-Reflective display

Review:

The Samsung UN55C9000 specifications are mostly the same as the C7000 and C8000 lineup. Where it differs is that it is extremely thin, so thin that all the inputs are in the base and not the rear of the panel like usual. It also has a cool slide out bar for controlling simple commands on the TV itself. The frame of the C9000 is simply breathtaking. It really does look like a TV that is made for hanging on the wall to look amazing. Another feature of the C9000 that differentiates itself from the Samsung lineup is the inclusion of a touchscreen remote. This remote allows you to mirror the content seen on the TV on the remote itself as long as you aren't watching 3D. It's a neat thing to have on a $7,000 TV, but I found myself preferring to use the normal Samsung remote since the touchscreen cannot show all the buttons at once and requires going through the menu and searching to access different functions.

Other features of the C9000 series are shared with the C7000 and can be read my review of the UN55C7000 above. The menu and notification system is the same as the C7000 and my opinions on this can also be read in my review of the C7000 above.

Overall I would not recommend the C9000 series to anyone other than someone who has no budget and just wants the most aesthetically pleasing 3DTV available. It simply isn't worth $7k since it only adds pleasant aesthetics over the C7000.

3D experience: 9.5/10
2D PQ: 9/10
Overall value: 6/10

3DTV: Panasonic TC-P58VT25 (plasma)
3D Glasses: Panasonic TY-EW3D10U
3D Blu-ray Player: Panasonic DMP-BDT350
3D Content: Panasonic 3D demo disc (puppies, Grand Canyon, etc)

Pros:
-Great picture
-Deepest blacks (10/10)
-Great 3D effect (10/10)
-No ghosting/crosstalk
-3D effect maintained with head tilt up to 90 degrees
-MPO format 3D image playback via USB flash frive
-3D glasses designed to fit comfortably over prescription eyewear
-Mail in form to receive 3DBD versions of Coraline and Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs

Cons:
-Terrible 3D glasses for viewers without prescription eyewear (fit and design)
-No 2D->3D conversion
-Only supports mandatory HDMI 1.4a formats
-No 3D video playback from USB flash drive
-Typically more expensive than comparable Samsung bundles (7000 or 8000 series)

Review:

The Panasonic VT25 series has the best 3D effect of any sets I have tested. It has the most pronounced pop-out and depth, along with the deepest black levels and amazing colors. If you simply want the best 3D possible, then this would be the best set out there, with one caveat: the 3D glasses absolutely SUCK. Seriously, they don't fit at all and they are extremely bulky. All the weight is right on your nose and they constantly feel like they are going to fall off (which they do). At the current
moment I don't recommend the Panasonic VT25 if the glasses do not fit. If they fit and you just want the best 3D effect then go for it. If they don't fit then you are going to have to wait for either the XpanD X103 or MonsterVision 3D glasses before this TV is even an option.

The lack of optional 3D format support is also a bummer. Whereas the Samsung supports basically every format out there, the Panasonic only supports MPO files via USB flash memory. This is disappointing since if you would like to use Arcsoft Total Media Theatre 3 or Cyberlink PowerDVD 10 instead of a 3D Blu-ray player you are out of luck until the NVIDIA 3DTV Play driver/software is released since neither software supports frame-packed output without it (only checkerboard support for now).

3D experience (if glasses fit): 10/10
3D experience (if glasses don't fit): 0/10
2D PQ: 9.5/10
Overall value: 6/10

3DTV: Sony KDL-46HX800 (LED precision dimming edge-lit)
3D Glasses: Sony
3D Blu-ray Player: Sony (unknown model)
3D Content: MvA 3D Blu-ray

Pros:
-Great blacks (9.5/10)
-Great 3D effect (9/10)
-2D->3D conversion
-Thin display
-Insanely easy to enable 3D mode for Blu-ray
-Most comfortable glasses
-Includes code for free download of Motorstorm: Pacific Rift, PAiN, Super Stardust HD, and Wipeout HD in 3D on PS3
-Register the TV and Sony will send BD3D versions of Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs and IMAX Deep Sea 3D

Cons:
-Image loses 3D effect with slight tilting of head and is complately gone at 45 degree tilt
-Ghosting/crosstalk immediately visible with slight head tilt
-Requires external 3D emitter (sold seperately) model TMR-BR100 with $50 MSRP
-Manual does not mention supported 3D formats (therefore I currently have no way of knowing what it supports!)
-Slight flicker sometimes noticeable when viewing 3D

Review:

The KDL-46HX800 was the only Sony 3DTV Best Buy had setup when I visited. It did not include a 3D demo disc so we used the Monsters Vs Aliens disc from the Samsung bundle to demo the 3D capabilities. The black levels were amazing and only slightly worse than the Panasonic VT25 series. Enabling the 3D mode for MvA was also the simplest I have seen from any
configuration. All that was required was to put the disc in, select English at the language selection screen and then the movie started. Toggling 3D on or off is a single button press on the remote with on screen display for a couple seconds in the bottom left corner in white text stating "3D On" or "3D Off". The 3D glasses also have the best build quality and most comfortable fit of any manufacturers.

Unfortunately all the great features of the Sony HX800 series is completely overshadowed by its shortfalls in 3D mode. For one the 3D glasses only have a single LCD polarizer. This causes the image to lose the 3D effect and show significant ghosting/crosstalk with even a slight (10 degrees) head tilt. This is completely unacceptable and I cannot recommend any Sony 3DTV until it is possible to use a different pair of 3D glasses or Sony issues a new version of 3D glasses that uses two polarizing filters like the Samsung glasses. To add insult to injury the 3D image can sometimes have noticeable flicker. The requirement of an external 3D emitter that costs $50 is even worse when you consider every other 3DTV has a built in emitter.

I was not able to test this set's 2D->3D conversion during my visit to Best Buy due to time constraints.

3D experience (with Sony glasses and no head tilting): 8/10
3D experience (with Sony glasses and head tilting): 0/10
2D PQ: 9.5/10
Overall value: 5/10

Notes: If flicker issue in 3D is resolved (read: removed) then 3D experience with Sony glasses and no head tilting will be 9.5/10.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old 07-14-2010, 11:49 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

reserved for glasses reviews coming soon

Just want to mention that I will be prettying up the post a bit with pictures and colored text over the next couple days. I have been working on this post for around 4 hours and wanted to get it posted so it could help as many forum members as possible.
post #3 of 36 Old 07-15-2010, 05:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 103
I'm waiting for a user review of the Samsung C8000 LED series with its local dimming edge lit LEDs which neither the C7000 or C9000 series has - it should have the best blacks for the Samsung LED T.V.s. If they introduce a 65" I'll be seriously interested.

In your C7000 review you say the blacks are "decent" In your C9000 review you say the blacks are "great" and you go on to say that besides the aesthetics of the C9000 it doesn't have any real advantages over the C7000 - what about the blacks?

I have tested the 2D to 3D conversion on the Sony (set to both medium and high) and was disappointed. I much prefer the Samsung for the conversion.
post #4 of 36 Old 07-15-2010, 06:47 AM

Nicely done! I have the Panasonic P58VT25 and agree with everything you said about it (pros and cons).

Yes, I really hate the glasses. They're not comfortable at all. Terrible fit, especially for smaller heads (kids). They have straps to keep them on and it is pretty much required for kids. I bought the set for its picture quality, knowing that I'll eventually buy additional glasses elsewhere. Panasonic should replace the team that design these glasses!

Another thing I'd like to add is that the remote is really cheap looking (and probably cheaply made as well). How about adding a 3D button on the remote to bring up the 3D menu without digging through layers of menus?

Despite these poorly made peripherals, the picture quality is fantastic. The design, though, is rather conservative and not very modern looking. And it's not as thin as those LED sets. But that's not a criteria for me as I don't watch TV/movies by looking at the display's sides.
post #5 of 36 Old 07-15-2010, 07:24 AM

I would like to see an in-depth review of the Samsung 63" Plasma especially the 3D
post #6 of 36 Old 07-15-2010, 07:51 AM
AVS Special Member

cnet just posted their review of the PN50C7000 plasma. it got a good rating 4 out of 5 stars. http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-t....0#reviewPage1
post #7 of 36 Old 07-15-2010, 11:40 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja Vu View Post

I'm waiting for a user review of the Samsung C8000 LED series with its local dimming edge lit LEDs which neither the C7000 or C9000 series has - it should have the best blacks for the Samsung LED T.V.s. If they introduce a 65" I'll be seriously interested.

In your C7000 review you say the blacks are "decent" In your C9000 review you say the blacks are "great" and you go on to say that besides the aesthetics of the C9000 it doesn't have any real advantages over the C7000 - what about the blacks?

I have tested the 2D to 3D conversion on the Sony (set to both medium and high) and was disappointed. I much prefer the Samsung for the conversion.

All of my reviews are from multiple visits to my local Best Buy. The C7000 had significant blooming in the demos I viewed. The C9000 did not have blooming. I do not know if the C7000 simply had different picture settings than the C9000, but I will check this next time I go to the store.

In my review I am simply stating what I noticed from viewing the sets. When I viewed them the C9000 had better blacks. The reason I didn't stress the improved blacks in my experience is because from everything I have read about the specifications of the C7000 and C9000 it has been pretty clear that there is no difference in image processing or display technology.

I will amend my review after I check the settings on the C7000 compared to the C9000. If they are the same I will definitely change the review to stress the improved blacks.

During my next visit I will also demo the C8000 LED if it is on display. I am fairly certain they have it in the Magnolia section. Last time I was there they didn't have any untethered glasses for me to use so I could only demo the sets that were set up for 3D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampyro View Post

I would like to see an in-depth review of the Samsung 63" Plasma especially the 3D

Would you like a review of the C7000 or C8000 first? I may not be able to do both at the same time so which one would you prefer is posted first?
post #8 of 36 Old 07-15-2010, 12:26 PM

I am only interested in the 8000.
post #9 of 36 Old 07-15-2010, 08:51 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks for the effort. Not sure that I would throw the baby out with the bathwater just because of side issues like the fit of glasses. Since the Panny glasses do work so well for persons wearing their own glasses, maybe the quick solution is just to pick up a pair of frames that fit perfectly without any lenses in them. (I assume some may not be aware that there are alternative nose pieces that come with the Panny glasses which one would not know of just looking at the displays in the store.)

As a side note, I am really curious how the 58 Panny compares to the 65 incher for viewing.
post #10 of 36 Old 07-16-2010, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 51
I received my 63" PN63C8000 on Wednesday and have played around with it for the past couple of days. As to initial impressions:

Hardware:
3DTV: Samsung PN63C8000
3D Glasses: Samsung SSG-2100AB (battery)
3D Content: MvA 3D Blu-ray, Wipeout HD, Super Stardust HD, Avatar Videogame

Pros
- TV is thin, relatively light and comes on a swivel base
- There are a ton of image tweaking options
- Settings can be remembered for each input individually
- 2D image is excellent with good black levels and deep colors
- 3D glasses fit comfortably over my own prescription glasses
- 3D effect on BluRay movies excellent with nice dimensionality and good 3D pop
- 3D effect on games is outstanding
- No visible image retention, even when gaming
- No distortion when tilting head sideways and very good field of view

Cons
- Expensive; 63" TV, BluRay player and 3D starter kit still came out to $3700 before taxes, even with promotion
- There is still some occasional ghosting on images with extreme contrast (ie: a very bright object in front of a very dark background)
- Scarcity of native 3D content
- 2D>3D conversion is hit or miss and pretty useless on animated sources
- Quirky component detection; you have to turn a component connected via HDMI on before the TV will recognize it and allow you to select it

Review
After perusing the Samsung, Sony and Panasonic offerings I decided to go with the Samsung 63" 3D plasma and have been very happy with my purchase so far.

Conventional 2D viewing is outstanding so even if 3D doesn't catch on I still have an excellent plasma set.

The only 3D BluRay content I've been able to view is Monsters vs. Aliens; overall sense of depth is excellent and ghosting is at a minimum, occurring mostly with very bright objects in front of a very dark background. I think this is more to do with the glasses not being able to block out all the light than any inherent flaws in the TV.

3D games are jaw dropping. The Motorstorm: Pacific Rift demo for the PS3 looks amazing with an incredible sense of depth and smoke and debris from other vehicles coming right out of the screen at you. Super Stardust HD for the PS3 again offers great dimensionality and excellent 3D pop of asteroids flying out of the screen. Avatar for the Xbox 360 also shows excellent depth (though I was only able to get it to work with 3D set to Side by Side, essentially halving the horizontal resolution).

2D>3D conversion looks subtle at best, especially when used after viewing native 3D content. Even with the depth setting cranked all the way up to 10, the delineation between foreground objects and background objects is relatively minor. You can see it but it isn't as pronounced as with native 3D. The process works well with most movies I've tried and really enhances videogames, where foreground and background delineations is already pronounced. Dead Space for example looks markedly better in faux 3D. The 3D effect on traditional hand animated shows like DC's direct to DVD superhero offerings is almost negligible.

The TV itself has a very thin frame and glass bezel and actually takes no more space than my old Sony Bravia XBR2 52" LCD; it's a very efficient design. The TV's built-in speakers are very powerful, so much so that I haven't felt the need to connect my PS3 and 360 to my surround sound system yet.

That's a pretty unscientific overview; if anyone has any specific questions I'd be more than happy to try to answer them. Bottom line is that I'm very happy with my purchase so far.
post #11 of 36 Old 07-16-2010, 06:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDP View Post

I received my 63" PN63C8000 on Wednesday and have played around with it for the past couple of days. As to initial impressions:

Hardware:
3DTV: Samsung PN63C8000
3D Glasses: Samsung SSG-2100AB (battery)
3D Content: MvA 3D Blu-ray, Wipeout HD, Super Stardust HD, Avatar Videogame

Pros
- TV is thin, relatively light and comes on a swivel base
- There are a ton of image tweaking options
- Settings can be remembered for each input individually
- 2D image is excellent with good black levels and deep colors
- 3D glasses fit comfortably over my own prescription glasses
- 3D effect on BluRay movies excellent with nice dimensionality and good 3D pop
- 3D effect on games is outstanding
- No visible image retention, even when gaming
- No distortion when tilting head sideways and very good field of view

Cons
- Expensive; 63" TV, BluRay player and 3D starter kit still came out to $3700 before taxes, even with promotion
- There is still some occasional ghosting on images with extreme contrast (ie: a very bright object in front of a very dark background)
- Scarcity of native 3D content
- 2D>3D conversion is hit or miss and pretty useless on animated sources
- Quirky component detection; you have to turn a component connected via HDMI on before the TV will recognize it and allow you to select it

Review
After perusing the Samsung, Sony and Panasonic offerings I decided to go with the Samsung 63" 3D plasma and have been very happy with my purchase so far.

Conventional 2D viewing is outstanding so even if 3D doesn't catch on I still have an excellent plasma set.

The only 3D BluRay content I've been able to view is Monsters vs. Aliens; overall sense of depth is excellent and ghosting is at a minimum, occurring mostly with very bright objects in front of a very dark background. I think this is more to do with the glasses not being able to block out all the light than any inherent flaws in the TV.

What's the black level like when viewing 3D or 2D to 3D conversion? I had a demo of this set with a USB source and blacks looked great. When the 3D BD player was used the blacks looked awful (I'm hoping something was not set up probably).
post #12 of 36 Old 07-16-2010, 07:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja Vu View Post

What's the black level like when viewing 3D or 2D to 3D conversion? I had a demo of this set with a USB source and blacks looked great. When the 3D BD player was used the blacks looked awful (I'm hoping something was not set up probably).

Black levels looked great to me in both 2D and 3D although I was coming from a 3 year old LCD so I may not be as demanding as others. The TV itself has several settings that you can use to fine tune the black level to your liking as well.
post #13 of 36 Old 07-17-2010, 04:56 AM

great thread peter thanks, anyone with an sammy 8000 series want to chime in?

in cyberspace next 2 canada
post #14 of 36 Old 07-17-2010, 07:25 AM
PSB

I have the 63" Sammy 7000 and I love it! Black level, contrast, and 3D are outstanding! Prior to purchase, I demo'ed the 7000 against the 8000 and could not find any difference, so I saved $750! (The money saved was used to buy a Sammy 3D player, 3D glasses and Dolby ProLogic IIz Height speakers). I also demo'ed the Sammy against the rival Panny's and to me, the Sammy had an equally good, if not, better picture.
post #15 of 36 Old 07-21-2010, 08:01 PM
Advanced Member

i have the sony hx800 and all i can say is wow ty SONY....
post #16 of 36 Old 07-22-2010, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 77
I posted a review of the Samsung pn58c8000 on its Amazon product page http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-PN58C8...=cm_cr_pr_pb_t for whatever interest that may have. There is little comparing various 3d sets, because I haven't viewed any others.

Greg Lee
post #17 of 36 Old 07-27-2010, 12:58 PM

I plan on purchasing the Samsung UN55C8000 later this week. I will post my impressions a day or two after I get it (hopefully will be delivered this weekend). 2,999.99 at Best Buy this week with free Samsung 3D Bluray player and 3D Starter Kit. I do plan to buy the wifi dongle also (79.99).
post #18 of 36 Old 07-27-2010, 04:09 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlucardDE View Post

I plan on purchasing the Samsung UN55C8000 later this week. I will post my impressions a day or two after I get it (hopefully will be delivered this weekend). 2,999.99 at Best Buy this week with free Samsung 3D Bluray player and 3D Starter Kit. I do plan to buy the wifi dongle also (79.99).

Took delivery yesterday (from PC Richard's Builders Division) on a PN58C8000, with the free blu-ray player & starter kit for $2162.00, free delivery. Also paid $50.00 for the dongle. Won't be able to open & see it for a couple of weeks, however, as we're doing major renovations.

"MMMM,Snout!"---Homer Simpson
post #19 of 36 Old 07-27-2010, 10:00 PM

PN58C8000 is a thing of beauty! Had it for 2 weeks but couldn't stand the buzz so I returned it. May look into a UN55C8000 but would like a larger screen. The UN65C8000 looks like it's going to be over 5k so not so sure if I want to pull the trigger on that. Nice reviews btw, guys!
post #20 of 36 Old 07-28-2010, 01:27 AM

Nice deal! I guess PC Richard's Builders Division and PC Richard's are different? If not, I saw on PC Richards website the TV going for 2,699.97 and the dongle for 79.97. I live in Delaware and I believe PC Richard's is based in New York (ordered a few video games from there) so any price matching is out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Geller View Post

Took delivery yesterday (from PC Richard's Builders Division) on a PN58C8000, with the free blu-ray player & starter kit for $2162.00, free delivery. Also paid $50.00 for the dongle. Won't be able to open & see it for a couple of weeks, however, as we're doing major renovations.

post #21 of 36 Old 07-28-2010, 06:13 AM
Advanced Member

My 73" 8 year old Mitsubishi died 2 weeks ago. I bought a UN46C8000 to temporarily replace it until the UN65C8000 arrives. Then I will put the smaller one in my office.

I just hope the 65" Samsung LED arrives with a price tag under $5k. By the time you add in sales tax, and maybe a warranty, the price gets pretty steep. Anyone have an update on when they will be available?

BTW... I love the picture on my UN46C8000.
post #22 of 36 Old 07-28-2010, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlucardDE View Post

Nice deal! I guess PC Richard's Builders Division and PC Richard's are different? If not, I saw on PC Richards website the TV going for 2,699.97 and the dongle for 79.97. I live in Delaware and I believe PC Richard's is based in New York (ordered a few video games from there) so any price matching is out.

Same outfit. They have a division where, if you are working with a contractor, they will get you kitchen appliances wholesale. The whole thing is done over the phone. I ordered a stove, a fridge, a dishwasher & a microwave (and got similar incredible prices on all). I then asked him if I could piggyback a TV onto the deal & he went for it!

post #23 of 36 Old 08-03-2010, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Consumer Reports has tested ~ ten 3D TVs. Here is the summary.

"The Panasonic TC-P50VT20 has the best 3D we've seen so far, and the Panasonic TC-P50VT25, which we are still testing, appears to have similar 3D capabilities. The Samsung PN58C7000 plasma was almost as good for 3D, though we saw some ghosting. Two other Samsung plasmas we're testing, the PN50C8000 and PN63C8000, allso did well with 3D but had the same slight ghosting. Three Samsung LCDs, the LN46C750, UN46C7000, and UN46C8000, all showed more ghosting than the plasmas, especially in the soccer broadcast. It was hard to tell how many players were on the field. An LCD still being tested, the Sony KDL-40HX800, did well with 3D as long as the viewers head and eyes wer level. Because of the polarization technology Sony uses, when we tilted our heads even slightly, the 3D effect was lost, and we saw double images, even with the glasses."

It is really surprising that while watching soccer on the Samsung LCDs the viewers could not tell how many players were on the field!
post #24 of 36 Old 08-03-2010, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyboy View Post

Consumer Reports has tested ~ ten 3D TVs. Here is the summary.

"The Panasonic TC-P50VT20 has the best 3D we've seen so far, and the Panasonic TC-P50VT25, which we are still testing, appears to have similar 3D capabilities. The Samsung PN58C7000 plasma was almost as good for 3D, though we saw some ghosting. Two other Samsung plasmas we're testing, the PN50C8000 and PN63C8000, allso did well with 3D but had the same slight ghosting. Three Samsung LCDs, the LN46C750, UN46C7000, and UN46C8000, all showed more ghosting than the plasmas, especially in the soccer broadcast. It was hard to tell how many players were on the field. An LCD still being tested, the Sony KDL-40HX800, did well with 3D as long as the viewers head and eyes wer level. Because of the polarization technology Sony uses, when we tilted our heads even slightly, the 3D effect was lost, and we saw double images, even with the glasses."

It is really surprising that while watching soccer on the Samsung LCDs the viewers could not tell how many players were on the field!

As far as ghosting goes, I'll bet you anything that CR did the tests before the 22 Samsung firmware update that addressed the ghosting was released.

post #25 of 36 Old 08-12-2010, 07:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hi, guys...I finally received my Samsung UN55C8000 this past Tuesday, and I wanted to post my initial impressions on it. I am upgrading my TV from an old 37" Sharp Aquos LC-37G4U. The Sharp is an AMAZING TV and has served me very well over the last 6 years, but the time came for the upgrade and after a LOT of research and debate, I settled on the UN55C8000 with the free 3D Starter Kit and free BD-C6900 3D Blu-Ray player. Unfortunately, my 3D Starter Kit was lost during shipping, so they're sending me a free replacement which I hope to have next week. I don't know what the firmware version for my TV is, but it was manufactured in June 2010.

The TV is actually pretty light for such a large screen (I believe it weighs in at just over 50 with the stand). When I first attached the stand and set the TV up on my shelf, the beauty of the TV itself struck me. I really like the silver bezel finish, and the TV is a nice work of art even when it's off. I have an old Onkyo HT-S770 HTiB system, so I took out the old receiver and purchased the Onkyo HT-RC260 receiver to hook everything up to. I have all my components running into the receiver, and an HDMI cable running from the receiver to the HDMI 2 (ARC) input on the TV. Here's my full current setup:

Samsung UN55C8000 3D LED TV
Onkyo HT-S770 HTiB (with Onkyo HT-RC260 receiver)
Samsung BD-C6900 3D Blu-ray player
Xbox
Xbox 360
Sega Dreamcast
Sega Saturn
Harmony One universal remote (I just got it and need to program it)

The first thing I did when I set the TV on my shelf and hooked it up to the receiver was run through the receiver setup and component setup. After that was taken care of, I ran through the initial setup of the TV. I left the picture mode at Standard, since this gave the best PQ in my opinion...I've tried various settings with Dynamic and Movie as the preset since others here have suggested that, but I thought the picture was horrible on those particular settings. I then hooked up my four game consoles and Blu-ray player to the receiver.

I popped in a Panasonic 3D Blu-ray demo disc which I ran in 2D mode (since I don't have the 3D Starter Kit yet), and the initial out-of-the-box results from the TV were pretty impressive. I ran the Rome demo, the Grand Canyon demo, and the "Funny Furry Friends" demo as well. This setup is also my very first foray into the Blu universe, and I could immediately tell the difference between Blu-ray vs. DVD. The Blu-ray PQ was quite detailed, although I noticed a good amount of noise on a few of the Rome scenes.

I then decided to test the lag and motion blur by turning on my Xbox (original, not the 360) and I put in Halo as my demo material. I used the Silent Cartographer level, and I noticed a LOT of input lag that my old Sharp never had a problem with. The controls felt very sluggish and my aim was markedly off as a result. I fiddled around with the Auto Motion Plus setting and after I turned it off, the lag was improved (although it was still present and the controls still felt slightly sluggish). Overall PQ was pretty good and slightly better than my old Sharp. Although the lag was relatively bad, I didn't notice any motion blur, so that was a good thing. I then proceeded to set up my 360 to output 1080p over Component (I have a first-gen 360 WITHOUT the HDMI output), but I didn't get to try any 360 games yet.

After I messed with the Xbox for a bit, I then popped in my Digital Video Essentials DVD for some basic calibration. I realize the old DVE is quite outdated by now, but I figured it's better than nothing. Overall, I found the brightness and contrast settings out of the box to be quite good and I didn't need to adjust those. Also, after running the Blue calibration test (where you hold the blue filter up to your eyes and adjust tint and color with it), it was pretty hard to get an even color space between the black bars. I got around this problem by switching the Color Space setting on the TV from the default Native to the Auto setting, and that gave me perfect color on that Blue pattern. However, I could not adjust the Red and Green color spaces to be even between those black bars, and I gave up after a long time on that. Despite that, the video test patters (i.e. NYC scenes, Space Shuttle scene, and restaurant scene) all looked pretty good overall. The restaurant scene was quite detailed, but I noticed a lot of jerkiness in the opening building pan scenes from the NYC material. I guess that might just be the player. Overall, I didn't change anything from the factory settings (other than turning Auto Motion Plus off and changing the Color Space setting to Auto). From what I can tell, the factory setting are pretty good overall. I then tried out my Dreamcast for a little bit, and the PQ was decent but a bit washed out. Finally, I popped in my very first Blu-ray movie (Clash Of The Titans) and watched a few scenes from it. PQ was very good and detailed overall, with just a bit of noise (which was barely noticeable unless I was really looking for it).

I didn't get to mess with the TV for TOO long the last few nights, but my overall thought is that I am very impressed. I'm looking forward to trying out the 3D content once my Starter Kit comes in sometime next week. I'd like to hear some feedback from you guys, especially on calibration settings for the Standard mode (if anyone is using Standard). If any of you guys have good calibration settings, please let me know. I also have read on here that many of you have turned off almost all the features of the TV (eco solution, Auto Motion, Smart LED, etc.), but I have not yet done so. I'm assuming once I do, the PQ will be better (please verify this for me).

Samsung KN55S9C OLED TV
LG EL9500 OLED TV
Sony XEL-1 OLED TV
Samsung BD-C6900 and BD-F5900 3D Blu-ray players
Onkyo HT-S770 home theater system
post #26 of 36 Old 08-12-2010, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
phreaky, thanks for the info. I'll be getting the 47c8000 next Tuesday (delivery will include removing my old 34" sony crt for free). In the meantime let us know if you find any good settings
I haven't really had time to look at the manual yet, is there a game mode ? I plan on connecting a 360 and a Wii to it
you're saying to use normal over movie mode even when watching BD movies ?
post #27 of 36 Old 08-13-2010, 10:40 AM
Advanced Member

I got a chance to play some more with the TV last night and I also got my replacement 3D Starter Kit as well, so I got to try out the 3D function. I wanted to post some more impressions for you guys.

I have a Panasonic 3D demo disc, so I decided to use that for my demo material for both 2D and 3D content. The various demo scenes in 2D look very good, despite a bit of noise on the Rome material. After opening the Starter Kit and installing the batteries in the 3D glasses, I put them on and popped the disc in. The first scene I ran in 3D was the Rome material, and there was a VERY LARGE amount of ghosting/crosstalk. I honestly did not remember this much ghosting/crosstalk from the 55C8000 TVs I had demoed at BB and HHGregg, so I was a bit disappointed that my set has such serious ghosting problems. However, I had seen a number of posters here who complained about their 3D emitters not even working properly, so I was relieved to see that mine worked fine. I then tried the Grand Canyon scene and had the same amount of ghosting/crosstalk. The next scene I tried was the lame Funny Furry Friends clip, and that particular scene impressed me GREATLY. The clip itself is insanely lame and retarded, but the 3D effect was very impressive. Also, for some reason, there wasn't as much ghosting/crosstalk on this particular scene for some reason, but the depth was very impressive. The various 720p scenes on the disc were less impressive (although the irrigation scene under the "Canadian Nature" scene was VERY immersive...I thought I could touch it).

As far as 3D is concerned, there are definitely ghosting/crosstalk problems that are very noticeable and detract from the 3D experience. Overall, it was still pretty cool in that the overall 3D experience does give you an extra bit of depth and gives you the feeling of being part of the scene. I did not get to try MvA yet, but hope to do so over the weekend.

I also played a demo of NCAA Football 2011 on the 360 (the demo is from the latest Official Xbox Magazine), and that was quite impressive. I didn't notice any lag, but of course, this game is no FPS.

The only question in my mind concerning the 3D is whether the ghosting/crosstalk problems originate with the glasses, the TV, or both. I'd be anxious to hear reports of the Xpand glasses (IF they ever come out... ). I wonder if the Xpand glasses would reduce the ghosting/crosstalk problems...if so, I'd definitely be sold on the 3D concept and would thoroughly enjoy it more.

I do have a question for you 55C8000/Sammy Blu-ray C6900 owners out there...I currently have my C6900 player's Deep Color option set to "Auto" in the settings menu, but is there any way I can verify whether the Deep Color signal is in fact being passed along through the TV? Also, I'd still like to hear calibration suggestions from you guys on the "Standard" PQ preset...

Samsung KN55S9C OLED TV
LG EL9500 OLED TV
Sony XEL-1 OLED TV
post #28 of 36 Old 08-13-2010, 10:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthJersey View Post

phreaky, thanks for the info. I'll be getting the 47c8000 next Tuesday (delivery will include removing my old 34" sony crt for free). In the meantime let us know if you find any good settings
I haven't really had time to look at the manual yet, is there a game mode ? I plan on connecting a 360 and a Wii to it
you're saying to use normal over movie mode even when watching BD movies ?

Sure thing...I'm glad to help! Congrats on getting the TV! I'd love to hear your impressions on it when you get it. To answer your questions, there IS a Game Mode on the TV that you can switch under the Settings tab, but I have not messed with that yet and therefore cannot comment on whether it improves lag on an FPS (like Halo). Also, I would recommend leaving the PQ preset at "Standard." I know a number of people here have suggested "Movie" mode, but that's too washed out for my eyes and Standard looks a lot better to me. YMMV.

Samsung KN55S9C OLED TV
LG EL9500 OLED TV
Sony XEL-1 OLED TV
post #29 of 36 Old 08-13-2010, 01:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Game mode normally diables all of the extra processing(which causes lag) such as motiion compensation and high CPU intensive scaling when the resolution your are sending to the TV is not the native resolution of the TV.
post #30 of 36 Old 08-13-2010, 07:22 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phreaky_d View Post

I do have a question for you 55C8000/Sammy Blu-ray C6900 owners out there...I currently have my C6900 player's Deep Color option set to "Auto" in the settings menu, but is there any way I can verify whether the Deep Color signal is in fact being passed along through the TV? Also, I'd still like to hear calibration suggestions from you guys on the "Standard" PQ preset...

Turn Deep Color to off on both player and TV. There is NO content which uses Deep Color.
Reply 3D Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page