Samsung 3D Glasses Losing Sync? - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 177 Old 11-16-2010, 04:40 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well, I found another fix for it that's amazingly simple and makes sense and hadn't thought of lol. I talked with a Samsun rep and they suggested I reset my TV. On mine, it was holding the Exit button down for 10 seconds. You lose your current settings unfortunately, but it resets everything to the default values. I thought that was way too simple so I tried it out on Call of Duty and it fixed the issue pretty much perfectly. The scene that annoyed me the most didn't lose sync once. Not sure how many of you were aware of it, but when switching to 3D mode, it automatically retuned the settings for the same input in non-3D mode. I'm thinkin through my various tweaks, something about it was causing the issue, while with the default values, it was optimized for use
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 177 Old 11-18-2010, 07:08 PM

I just wanted to say thanks for the extremely helpful information in this thread.

I recently (few days ago) purchased a Samsung PN50C680. At first I thought it was a setting some place, but later realised that the sync between the glasses and the TV was degrading, and then coming back, or at times would even reverse the Left and Right Images (had to 'Image Correction' to fix).

I was watching 'Open Season 3D' and paused the movie. For about 1 minute everything was fine, and then suddenly the screen view would dim gradually, and 3D effects would disappear into a 2 image blur. Both sets of glasses did the same thing. I could simply hit the power button on the glasses, and everything would be great for 30 seconds to 10 min. until the sync started to degrade again.

I called Samsung, and they wanted to send a tech out, which I agreed to. The rep felt the issue was also with the IR system. I went to work, and put Google to the test. After reading this thread, and the work night done, I headed home with some troubleshooting on the agenda.

I Reset the TV by holding down the 'Exit' button for 10 seconds. I used my cell phone camera to look and make sure the IR transmitter on the TV was working (it was). I then, took a roll of Electrical Tape, and used a Mechanical Pencil to poke a hole in the tape (I used a .5mm lead size pencil with the metal tip, and simply poked it into the whole roll of tape). I cut the tape so the hole was right in the middle and placed it over the IR sensor on the Glasses. With a tiny bit of stretch, just enough to keep the hole open (smack in the middle of the sensor), and the tape nice and snug to the sensor, I gave it another try.

I fired up the TV 3D, and hit the power button on the glasses. The glasses turned on (which they wouldn't if IR was completely blocked), and watched for awhile. Not once in 3 hours did the glasses drop sync, get confused, or try to flip images. I popped in CoD: Black Ops, and I suddenly loved my PS3 all over again. Since the tape, I haven't had one issue. Now, when I look away from the TV, the glasses turn off and I can see without the blinky effect. If I look back at the TV within a few seconds, they turn back on, and go right back into crystal clear 3D.

I was just about to return the TV and go with a Panasonic (which weren't in stock and I would have had to wait for 2 weeks), when I ran across this thread. Thanks for posting your info. Saved me a bunch of money!
post #63 of 177 Old 11-19-2010, 04:44 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Same here!
post #64 of 177 Old 11-19-2010, 08:34 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My thanks also to WhiteRabbit2004 and others. This sounded like a pretty strange idea to cover most of the sensor with black tape, but it seems to have helped a lot with my PN50C680. I had one pair of glasses that seemed much worse than the other pair, but the tape seems to have made them pretty solid.

The loss-of-sync was really bad with the Playstation3 "Play Memories" application which I use for viewing my 3D photos taken with a Fuji W1. Every time I advanced to the next photo, the glasses would lose sync and take a couple of seconds to lock in. Very annoying. You couldn't run a "slide show" even in slow speed, because most of the time the glasses would be re-syncing! The tape made a huge difference. I still get an occasional glitch. I think I have about 10-20% of the sensor window exposed, so maybe I need to cover more of it.
post #65 of 177 Old 11-19-2010, 08:39 AM - Thread Starter

Hey guys, I haven't checked the forums in a few weeks and didn't realize so many people would have the same problem. I see the tape worked for many of you, that's good. One thing about the tape, it definitely has to be placed in a very particular way. Only a certain amount of the sensor on the glasses can be exposed. You just have to play around with adjusting the piece of tape until it works. Covering it completely will cause them not to work at all, and exposing too much will not make a change. I recently ordered a pair of the rechargeable glasses and they also tended to lose sync. I taped them up and they work perfectly now. The taped up starter pack ones have tons of hours playing 3D PC games and movies. Not once have they lost sync in months. I probably should have done this when I first posted the fix, but here are photos of how I taped them up.

And yes, my camera has a dirty lens.

-=|PlasmaGMR|=-
post #66 of 177 Old 11-20-2010, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteRabbit2004 View Post

Hey guys, I haven't checked the forums in a few weeks and didn't realize so many people would have the same problem. I see the tape worked for many of you, that's good. One thing about the tape, it definitely has to be placed in a very particular way. Only a certain amount of the sensor on the glasses can be exposed. You just have to play around with adjusting the piece of tape until it works. Covering it completely will cause them not to work at all, and exposing too much will not make a change. I recently ordered a pair of the rechargeable glasses and they also tended to lose sync. I taped them up and they work perfectly now. The taped up starter pack ones have tons of hours playing 3D PC games and movies. Not once have they lost sync in months. I probably should have done this when I first posted the fix, but here are photos of how I taped them up.

Thank you, you helped a lot of us with your post. Also your way of taping them works better than the way I had it. Thanks again...
post #67 of 177 Old 11-22-2010, 10:17 AM

I've been living with this problem since I bought my TV. Is putting a piece of tape on my glasses really the only solution right now? That seems ridiculous to me...
post #68 of 177 Old 11-24-2010, 06:56 PM

I just noticed the dimming / losing sync problem. I popped out the battery, put a new one in, and they appear to be working flawlessly now. Weak battery? Popping out the battery reset the glasses? I don't know, but it appeared to help.
post #69 of 177 Old 11-25-2010, 11:35 AM

I have 7 pairs of 3D Glasses for my samsung PN50C490 and I just had my whole family over and all of them were in use for about 2 hours. I have learned that scenes with a lot of white do cause interference and particularly for those that sit further back (over 8 feet) and off to the sides. If you are sitting in the center the problem is more rare with or without stuff covering the sensor, but I think there is a different between reclining to 9 feet vs sitting up at 8 feet.

All the glasses initially started out with nothing covering up the sensor but I had some putty on hand for making quick fixes in case a problem came up. So I was literally sitting off to the sides far back and fixing them and then swapping my pair with others as they complained that the 3D effect turned off. It was not too big of an issue and for the most part the putty fixed the issue, but it still came up once in a while in trouble sitting areas but it normally corrected itself much faster.
post #70 of 177 Old 11-26-2010, 10:38 AM

Re: 3D out of sync.

I had used the 3D glasses and they were working fine. Then I watched the IMAX 3D Gallapagos video with my 3 year old yesterday, and he kept getting up to "pet the fish". That was the first time I noticed the glasses getting out of sync with the samsung tv. I'm guessing that his continual getting up to touch the 3D images was blocking the sensors. I would wait a few seconds or restart the glasses and the 3D would re-sync.
post #71 of 177 Old 11-26-2010, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorId View Post
Re: 3D out of sync.

I had used the 3D glasses and they were working fine. Then I watched the IMAX 3D Gallapagos video with my 3 year old yesterday, and he kept getting up to "pet the fish". That was the first time I noticed the glasses getting out of sync with the samsung tv. I'm guessing that his continual getting up to touch the 3D images was blocking the sensors. I would wait a few seconds or restart the glasses and the 3D would re-sync.
Not to ruin yalls fun but I thought there was a warning for children under 7 to not use 3D.. and that is passive 3D even which is less intense for the eyes.
post #72 of 177 Old 11-26-2010, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glitchbit View Post
Not to ruin yalls fun but I thought there was a warning for children under 7 to not use 3D.. and that is passive 3D even which is less intense for the eyes.
Bit off topic but my son is visually Impaired and it was recommended by the top surgeon in the united states as a part of vision therapy. 3D is good for the eyes in short periods (couple hours a week) Improves your binocular vision.

Cheers!

JKru
post #73 of 177 Old 11-26-2010, 10:03 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by patseguin
I've been living with this problem since I bought my TV. Is putting a piece of tape on my glasses really the only solution right now? That seems ridiculous to me...
I have 4 pairs. Two work perfectly and two kept losing sync. I'm having the two bad ones replaced. Since two work fine I can only assume the other glasses are bad and it's not an issue with the TV.
post #74 of 177 Old 11-28-2010, 10:26 AM

After taping the sensor leaving only a sliver exposed on the sides of the sensors, I've had no sync problems. This is with a PN50C680 plasma.

I also picked up a pair of the XPAND universal glasses from Sears. Those seem to work fine out of the box with no sync issues.
post #75 of 177 Old 11-28-2010, 04:49 PM

I have pn63c8000 and my glasses would turn off and change colors every couple of min. I would have to power off and then turn them back on to keep them working. After reading WhiteRabbit post I thought I would give the tape a try and it works perfect. I don't have that problem any more. Thanks for taking the time to start this thread. Thanks again WhiteRabbit2004
post #76 of 177 Old 11-28-2010, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisbwt View Post

I have pn63c8000 and my glasses would turn off and change colors every couple of min. I would have to power off and then turn them back on to keep them working. After reading WhiteRabbit post I thought I would give the tape a try and it works perfect. I don't have that problem any more. Thanks for taking the time to start this thread. Thanks again WhiteRabbit2004

+1 PNC50C675 Plasma. I was getting the 3D fade in and out every minute or so. Took some electrical tape and covered the top 95% of the sensor area, fixed both of my glasses. Samsung really needs to address this with their glass design.

Probably going to call them anyway as electrical tape on a $150 pair of glasses is unacceptable.
post #77 of 177 Old 12-04-2010, 06:04 AM

My setup: samsung pn50c490 purchased 11-15-10, ps3 with 1.4 3d rated hdmi, 8 set of samsung 2100 glasses with new batteries, viewing distance approx 8 ft, mounted on entertainment stand with arm up the back which hold mount and swivels.

Same sync problem here on the pn50c490 plasma. 8 set of glasses and new batteries. Did the reset trick, still same. Verified the transmitter was blinking with digital camera. I contacted Samsung and they are having a service rep come out because it's ridiculous I said to pay this much $ for tv and glasses to have to use tape, even though I have some just in case they rep finds the transmitter installed correctly...I'm hoping it's installed backwards like mentioned in previous post in this thread.

I do find it funny that the service company scheduling secretary called to get the details of the problem and she informed me she'd call back next week because the service rep had to consult the Samsung "triage" manual and find what parts were needed and ordered. She also informed me per Samsung policy that the tv had to be dismounted from the wall, or in my case an entertainment swivel stand, because the rep was not allowed to help dismount. I guess they are certified to open the unit and work on electrical components, but not help remove 4 bolts holding the unit to the stand.

I will post again once service call is complete to inform of details.
post #78 of 177 Old 12-05-2010, 05:52 PM

Thanx WhiteRabbit2004, i was having the same problem with my PN58C8000.
since i have used the tape i haven't lost a single 3D signal. good job man!
post #79 of 177 Old 12-06-2010, 07:08 PM

I am beyond upset that putting tape on these glasses worked. I bought the 3d ultra heaven glasses off of ebay, and they worked with no problem. Never lose sync. Those glasses are only $60 whereas the Samsung ones are worth $150. WTF?!?
post #80 of 177 Old 12-07-2010, 07:42 AM

I am having the same issue with my PN63c8000. We watched Christmas Carol the other night and my glasses lost sync 8 times during the movie. It never lasts for more than 2 seconds. It's not a huge deal but it is rather annoying when you are in a good part of a movie and all of a sudden the glasses distract you by turning off. The thing i don't get is, i played bad company 2 in 3d for 3 hours straight and the glasses never once lost sync. I also watched Avatar in 3d, using the tv's 2d to 3d conversion. They never lost sync, not once the entire movie. It seems to only be happening when i watch a 3d blu-ray. I watched Cloudy with a chance of meatballs last night and sure enough, the glasses lost sync again, 8 times during the movie, albeit for 1 or 2 seconds.
post #81 of 177 Old 12-07-2010, 09:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 55
I would regularly have a problem with the Samsung glasses where they would lose sync for one or two seconds when the image on screen quickly went from very dark to very bright or vice versa. It was a minor nuisance and it would correct itself very quickly but it was still bothersome to me given what I'd paid.

Over the weekend I purchased a pair of Xpand 103 universal glasses and after extensive weekend use they never once exhibited that problem. Seeing as they're less expensive than Samsung's own models I'll probably just get another pair of Xpands when the need arises.
post #82 of 177 Old 12-07-2010, 12:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDP View Post

I would regularly have a problem with the Samsung glasses where they would lose sync for one or two seconds when the image on screen quickly went from very dark to very bright or vice versa. It was a minor nuisance and it would correct itself very quickly but it was still bothersome to me given what I'd paid.

Over the weekend I purchased a pair of Xpand 103 universal glasses and after extensive weekend use they never once exhibited that problem. Seeing as they're less expensive than Samsung's own models I'll probably just get another pair of Xpands when the need arises.

I have some X103s coming from AVS in a week or so. I've also found the Ultra-Clear 3D glasses are much more resistant to losing sync than the Samsung glasses. The Samsungs are a real pain and seem to be getting worse. The Ultra-Clears are better for sync but I prefer the contrast with the Samsung glasses. I'm anxious to try the 103s.

Joe Clark

post #83 of 177 Old 12-08-2010, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Clark View Post

I have some X103s coming from AVS in a week or so. I've also found the Ultra-Clear 3D glasses are much more resistant to losing sync than the Samsung glasses. The Samsungs are a real pain and seem to be getting worse. The Ultra-Clears are better for sync but I prefer the contrast with the Samsung glasses. I'm anxious to try the 103s.

Guys, are the Ultra Clear 3d Glasses losing sync as much as the Samsung Glasses? It seems like it's hit or miss for those too. I'm about to order some more glasses and I am wondering if anyone has tried the tape thing on the ultra clears? Did it work? I've had a fantastic experience with the tape on my samsungs. I'd also like to thank WhiteRabbit or the OP for that little trick. I have a 2 pair of The xpand 103's and have lost sync a couple times during a 3d bluray movie but I think it was the batteries. They have been exceptional for not losing sync during bright scenes or during my PS3 Motorstorm sessions It's just hard to pay twice the money for the xpands when the Ultra Clears would work fine with tape. Anyone help a brutha out and tell me if you had trouble with the ultra clears losing sync and whether the tape thing works on these too?
post #84 of 177 Old 12-08-2010, 01:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highqualityh2o View Post

Guys, are the Ultra Clear 3d Glasses losing sync as much as the Samsung Glasses? It seems like it's hit or miss for those too. I'm about to order some more glasses and I am wondering if anyone has tried the tape thing on the ultra clears? Did it work? I've had a fantastic experience with the tape on my samsungs. I'd also like to thank WhiteRabbit or the OP for that little trick. I have a 2 pair of The xpand 103's and have lost sync a couple times during a 3d bluray movie but I think it was the batteries. They have been exceptional for not losing sync during bright scenes or during my PS3 Motorstorm sessions It's just hard to pay twice the money for the xpands when the Ultra Clears would work fine with tape. Anyone help a brutha out and tell me if you had trouble with the ultra clears losing sync and whether the tape thing works on these too?

The tape trick didn't work for me with the Samsungs. With the Ultra-clears, I feel no need to try. They almost never lose sync. However, I don't like the contrast of the Ultra-Clears as much as the Samsungs. They seem to cause the image depth to flatten out more. They're not tremendously different, but I notice it. If I could get the Samsung contrast with the Ultra-Clear syncing ability, I'd be very happy. I'm hoping that's what the 103s will provide.

Joe Clark

post #85 of 177 Old 12-08-2010, 04:54 PM

Liked: 13
I tried the Xpand 103 universal glasses today...AMAZING! They worked 100x better than the Samsungs.

PN50C8000
post #86 of 177 Old 12-08-2010, 05:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigmaace01 View Post

I tried the Xpand 103 universal glasses today...AMAZING! They worked 100x better than the Samsungs.

PN50C8000

How's the contrast with the 103s? I probably won't know for a week or more.

Joe Clark

post #87 of 177 Old 12-08-2010, 07:23 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Clark View Post

How's the contrast with the 103s? I probably won't know for a week or more.

They don't feel as dark & I see colors much better.
post #88 of 177 Old 12-08-2010, 07:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigmaace01 View Post

They don't feel as dark & I see colors much better.

That's good news. Do they have any effect on your perception of the depth of the 3D? Any increase or decrease? The same?

Joe Clark

post #89 of 177 Old 12-22-2010, 09:28 AM

Thought I would add my 2-cents since this thread was helpful to me. We had the same trouble with losing sync with 2 pairs of glasses that were bundled with our TV. Tried the "tape" fix and it solved the issue after several attempts. What worked for us was having a very small 1mm aperture instead of trying to block various amount of the detector in the glasses. We bought 2 more pairs from Amazon.com and they worked perfectly without having to tape over the sensor. Those were the same model (SSG-2200AR/ZA) as the ones that came with the TV but the serial numbers were much higher (SG2A34GZ5######) whereas the pair bundled with the TV had much lower serial numbers (SG2A34GZA0#####). I suspect that the earlier versions of the glasses had problems that were fixed in later revisions. We returned those 2 original pairs and received new ones (serial numbers SG2A34GZ7######) and they both work fine as well. So...the tape DID work, when done correctly (blocking the entire sensor but leaving a 1mm aperture open in the center of the tape making sure the opening is right in the center of the detector), but it also appears the glasses may have been fixed through hardware or software so I would advise anyone having the sync problems to request replacements through Samsung. Be prepared, however, for a potentially long wait for replacements (it took nearly 3 weeks for the replacements to arrive after they received our old glasses). They originally offered to send us replacements immediately (but charge our credit card nearly $400) and then refund the charge after they received our old glasses. In hindsight that would have been the better way to go (they also pay for return shipping that way). Good luck!
post #90 of 177 Old 12-22-2010, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVS Tech Guy View Post

Thought I would add my 2-cents since this thread was helpful to me. We had the same trouble with losing sync with 2 pairs of glasses that were bundled with our TV. Tried the "tape" fix and it solved the issue after several attempts. What worked for us was having a very small 1mm aperture instead of trying to block various amount of the detector in the glasses. We bought 2 more pairs from Amazon.com and they worked perfectly without having to tape over the sensor. Those were the same model (SSG-2200AR/ZA) as the ones that came with the TV but the serial numbers were much higher (SG2A34GZ5######) whereas the pair bundled with the TV had much lower serial numbers (SG2A34GZA0#####). I suspect that the earlier versions of the glasses had problems that were fixed in later revisions. We returned those 2 original pairs and received new ones (serial numbers SG2A34GZ7######) and they both work fine as well. So...the tape DID work, when done correctly (blocking the entire sensor but leaving a 1mm aperture open in the center of the tape making sure the opening is right in the center of the detector), but it also appears the glasses may have been fixed through hardware or software so I would advise anyone having the sync problems to request replacements through Samsung. Be prepared, however, for a potentially long wait for replacements (it took nearly 3 weeks for the replacements to arrive after they received our old glasses). They originally offered to send us replacements immediately (but charge our credit card nearly $400) and then refund the charge after they received our old glasses. In hindsight that would have been the better way to go (they also pay for return shipping that way). Good luck!

This is interesting.. I just checked my glasses (They are the battery ones) and the S/N starts with SG2B34GZ9xxxx and SG2B34GZAxxxx.. Ill have to pay attention to the "A" S/N to see if this is the case as 2 of the pairs are GZ9 (much newer).. Ill report back.
Reply 3D Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page