Samsung 3D Glasses Losing Sync? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 177 Old 07-18-2010, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I decided to share this information, since I have seen at least three other people being affected by it as well.

I had recently replaced my PN63C8000 with a new one because of this issue. It would lose sync during 3D playback at random times. Well, it finally arrived a few days ago and the new one loses sync as well. I was mega frustrated because I really like the Samsung, but the 3D losing sync at random times was killing me. When it loses sync, it flickers and appears for just a second as though the glasses turned off. I had tested different lighting, no lights at all, replaced my hdmi cables, the 3D glasses, the whole tv. Nothing worked. It had to be something causing this issue. So I decided to do a bunch of experimenting this week. I eventually found that bright flashes on the screen were causing it to happen. I then noticed that the bright flashes were possibly reflecting too much light on the small IR sensor in the front of the 3D glasses. Eventually it led me to place my finger over the small sensor on the front of the glasses and see if it would lose sync. I tested this with the animated movie "9", which later in the movie a giant snake-like creature has flashing eyes similar to a strobe effect. My glasses would normally lose sync like crazy on this part. It's a perfect test. With my finger raised over my head and covering the sensor, it would not lose sync whatsoever. I tested it over and over, both ways, with and without, and it never lost sync with my finger covering it. Very strange.

I decided to try tinting the sensor a little, so I took a tiny piece of Scotch tape and covered it, and it still happened. I put another piece on top of that one and it still lost sync. I took a Sharpee and colored over the tape. No go. I next took a piece of electrical tape and covered the small IR sensor on the front of the glasses. Believe it or not, this actually worked! I was not able to get the signal to lose sync whatsoever. I tried a bunch of 3D games and some movies, and none of it drops sync now. I know it's lame that I even had to resort to doing something like this to get such an expensive tv to work correctly, but aside from this, I really love the TV. My tv is kept in a very dark and small living room, and at 63" the flashes of light are quite bright. Perhaps that is the cause, who knows. If you decide to put tape on your glasses, it is important make sure it's just a tiny piece that covers most of the IR sensor. Not all of it, but most. I noticed if I covered all of it with electrical tape it would lose signal completely. So make sure it's just a tiny piece that covers 97-98% of the sensor. I tested this on both of my 3D glasses and it works perfect on both. A few days have passed now and I haven't had one drop in losing sync. I play a lot of PC games in 3D on it using the IZ3D drivers and haven't had any issues since. It's really nice to finally be able to enjoy all kinds of 3D material the correct way.

-=|PlasmaGMR|=-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 177 Old 07-18-2010, 04:45 PM

This is a great discovery...Thanks for the tip!

Once you've gone Buttkicker, you can't go back.

post #3 of 177 Old 07-18-2010, 04:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Sorry wrong place to post this. IMHO

Most of us in this forum don't care about the gimmick, while sort of cool 3D needs much more refinement for me.

There should be a 3D specific thread for this, please don't garbage the Plasma thread with 3D issues...there is already much garbage here.

You have an important issue....(heh heh) but this is not the place for it.

Rock on...and don't sit...stand....or let little kids break yer $150 3d glasses!
post #4 of 177 Old 07-18-2010, 04:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolanski View Post

Most of us don't care about the gimmick, while sort of cool needs much more refinement for me.

Its probably a better idea that you keep to speaking for yourself. You certainly dont speak for me.
post #5 of 177 Old 07-18-2010, 05:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:

please don't garbage the Plasma thread with 3D issues...there is already much garbage here.

I'm grateful for the information from WhiteRabbit2004. You're the garbage contributor, not him.

Greg Lee
post #6 of 177 Old 07-18-2010, 05:25 PM

Quote:

Most of us in this forum don't care about the gimmick, while sort of cool 3D needs much more refinement for me.

There should be a 3D specific thread for this, please don't garbage the Plasma thread with 3D issues...there is already much garbage here.

Rock on...and don't sit...stand....or let little kids break yer $150 3d glasses!

I see worse thread started. this one was totally helpful thank you whiterabbit!!!! i was losing sync on occasion also. I though it was just content it would happen most on direct tv n3d commercials. Great Thread thank you would like to learn more and what sammy can do to fix it. make new glasses maybe. firmware maybe idk.

Stop weezing the juice!
post #7 of 177 Old 07-19-2010, 07:35 AM
Advanced Member

Even though I don't own 3d tv, I'm all about DIY solutions. So it's always great when someone posts a virtually free DIY fix to a problem. Good job!
post #8 of 177 Old 09-02-2010, 11:34 AM

Here a short video of my Samsung 3D glasses losing sync...

post #9 of 177 Old 09-02-2010, 11:52 AM

Quote:

Were you upset with the supposedly incorrect placement of this thread, or did you take an opportunity to post a non-constructive rant about 3D in a thread that clearly doesn't pertain to you?

To the OP: nice find! I tried the Explore 3D Samsung app last night and suffered the same issues you described, but have not with other content. I will try this and thanks for posting.
post #10 of 177 Old 09-02-2010, 12:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Thanks for posting, great find!
I've had some issues with it losing sync, only on certain content though.
post #11 of 177 Old 09-02-2010, 01:40 PM

I simply find it hard to believe that you get a signal to your glasses if your sensor is covered up by electric tape. Cover up your remote controle with electric tape and tell me if you can change your channels.
post #12 of 177 Old 09-02-2010, 04:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Hey kids this is a 3D issue not a plasma issue that's all I'm saying and that is why 3D Central was created.
My opinion and I'm entitled to it.
post #13 of 177 Old 09-02-2010, 04:52 PM

Yeah perhaps the sensor that emits the 3D signal (located on the bottom left hand side of the display, looks like a little black plastic window) is being blocked intermittenly. It happened to me as I had someting sitting in front of the sensor
post #14 of 177 Old 09-02-2010, 06:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Hey kids this is a 3D issue not a plasma issue that's all I'm saying and that is why 3D Central was created.
My opinion and I'm entitled to it.

Hey kid,
It's a 3D issue on a plasma TV.
Thanks
post #15 of 177 Old 09-03-2010, 10:03 AM

Good job! Thanks.
post #16 of 177 Old 09-03-2010, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter

Believe it or not, it actually works. I couldn't believe that using tape over the sensor would work either. Technically I'm not covering the entire sensor, just most of it. When the entire sensor is covered it doesn't work. Trust me, test it by sticking your finger completely over the glasses sensor and it'll still work. And thanks to those it's helping. As far as being in the wrong area, who cares as long as it's helping others.

-=|PlasmaGMR|=-
post #17 of 177 Old 09-03-2010, 11:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteRabbit2004 View Post

Believe it or not, it actually works. I couldn't believe that using tape over the sensor would work either. Technically I'm not covering the entire sensor, just most of it. When the entire sensor is covered it doesn't work. Trust me, test it by sticking your finger completely over the glasses sensor and it'll still work. And thanks to those it's helping. As far as being in the wrong area, who cares as long as it's helping others.

I think it might work, because it blocks out interfering light, but not the signal. Just a guess, but it might be something else.
post #18 of 177 Old 09-03-2010, 08:02 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
This reminds me of the problem that everyone had with the Tivo Series 3 (me included) in that the remote control for the Tivo wouldn't work hardly at all when you had a plasma TV next to the Tivo unit. The solution was to use a few layers of Glad Wrap Press-n-Seal and paste it on the right side of the Tivo faceplate (where the IR remote receiver was) . That is until Tivo admitted the problem and gave you a new replacement unit with a redesigned faceplate. But then you had to get the cable company out to reset the cable cards with the new Tivo unit, and, and..just a really big hassle. Engadget picked up on the story here...

http://www.engadget.com/2006/09/26/t...-big-problems/

The money quote.."As many home theater aficionados know (first-hand, unfortunately), plasma TVs emit a significant amount of EMI and RFI signals from their surfaces that can confuse nearby IR sensors and render them useless, especially if your home theater gear juts out in front of the display.""

Bottom line, the plasma did interfere with the IR signal from the Tivo remote. Sounds like a similar thing might be happening here.
post #19 of 177 Old 09-22-2010, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteRabbit2004 View Post

Tried this on one of my pairs using the only tape available in the house (cardboard packing tape), and unsure of the result. Might have reduced the frequency of the problem, but I can still provoke it.

Would be possible for you to snap a photo of your glasses showing how it is taped? And are you using the rechargeable ones, or the other kind?

Thanks!
post #20 of 177 Old 10-17-2010, 04:22 AM

Does this totally stop the glasses losing sync? i had a 3d plasma but sent it back because the glasses would lose sync all the time, especially if the scene i was watching went from dark to bright.
post #21 of 177 Old 10-17-2010, 04:25 AM

I know there is a fix for the problem of samsung 3d glasses losing sync where you use some electrical tape to cover some of the sensor on the glasses, can anyone confirm that this solves the problem 100%? i had a 3d plasma but sent it back because of this problem.
post #22 of 177 Old 10-17-2010, 05:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Haven't heard of this fix, first thing I would do is check the batteries. If that doesn't work try to demo your glasses at best buy or a store with a Samsung 3d TV. If they work there the problem could be your TV, or You could be getting IR interference form a different source. Try removing other remotes from the room. If you still can't get them to work, call Samsung as it may be the tvs IR emitter.
post #23 of 177 Old 10-17-2010, 11:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Another casuse of Samsung 3D glases losing sync is that there is somethign blocking the light path from the IR emitter which is in the lower left hand corner of the bezel to the glases.
What do you have to do to get sync back?
post #24 of 177 Old 10-18-2010, 06:07 AM

It could be some other light source in the area as well.
post #25 of 177 Old 10-21-2010, 05:59 AM

My Samsung 3D setup does the same thing occacionally - when I'm watching the picture the 3D effect sometimes drops out but then comes back a second later by itself. Nothing is blocking my light sensor.

I'll try watching with all the lights off in the room to eliminate this possiblity. Any other ideas on what could be causing this?

Suave Kajko
Publisher/Editor-in-Chief
CANADA HiFi Magazine
http://www.canadahifi.com

President
Toronto Audio Video Entertainment Show (TAVES)
http://www.taveshow.com
post #26 of 177 Old 10-21-2010, 10:34 PM

I have the same problem.. I did find however that when I replace the HDMI cable to a HDMI 1.4 cable the problem reduced. Then I tried a Monster M2000 cable and it increased 10 x the cost and it increased ... (Might be related, might not be). Make sure your cable is a CL3 HDMI 1.4 cable for a start.

I still have the problem, i notice it more when the movie changes to a new scene.

Thanks
JKru

JKru
post #27 of 177 Old 10-22-2010, 07:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Any HDMI High-Speed cable will pass all of the HDMI 1.4a 3D formated video. see:

http://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/tra..._logo_pub.aspx
post #28 of 177 Old 10-22-2010, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walford View Post

Any HDMI High-Speed cable will pass all of the HDMI 1.4a 3D formated video. see:

http://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/tra..._logo_pub.aspx

Well you are 95% correct

http://gizmodo.com/268788/the-truth-...keep-upusually

http://www.audioholics.com/education...esting-results

The truth is the High Speed cable you choose *can* matter, just keep an eye out for it.

JKru
post #29 of 177 Old 10-22-2010, 09:09 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I find that if you take a small piece of black electrical tape and place it on the sensor of the glasses (cover about 85-90% of the sensor)this problem immediately goes away.
post #30 of 177 Old 10-22-2010, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wellywell View Post

I find that if you take a small piece of black electrical tape and place it on the sensor of the glasses (cover about 85-90% of the sensor)this problem immediately goes away.

You know I was thinking about this last night as to what was said earlier abou this (covering the sensor) I wonder if it has somthing to do with the reflectiveness of the glass bezel? I noticed at one point I could see a IR (red light) from my glasses in the bezel. Also when scene changes occur usually there is changes in light output.

Does this effect happen in particular parts of the movie? Or just random?

JKru
Reply 3D Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page