3D TV for 3D Gaming - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 19 Old 07-25-2010, 08:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
OK, so it is probally down to the 2010 Panasonic Plasma or the Samsung 8000 Plasma.

Is anyone doing serious 3D gaming? I know there is not a lot out there yet, but how does the PS3 3D demos look on your Samsung or Panasonic.

From my research, it seems that the Panasonic wins the #1 spot for 3d viewing, but no one discusses gaming much.

How is the speed on gaming with the Samsung or Panny?

What about the 2d to 3d convert option on the Samsung? I have heard that this puts Samsung on top.

I would think that Halo or Gears of War, even with just a little 3d touch up would be rockin! Anyone tested this?

Anyways, since the technology is going to change so much over the next couple years, I am thinking the choice should be Samsung because the 2d to 3d covert and being 2nd on picture.

Any input would be great...Remember from a 3d gaming experience!

I need to decide this week.
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 07-25-2010, 09:36 PM

I was in the same boat last week. I've had my Sammy 58c8000 for a few days now and can give some impressions.

Conversion is a non-issue IMO. I've tried it out on games and different films and to me, it's just not that good. I certainly wouldn't buy a Sammy over a Panny because of it. I tried Bad Company 2 last night with conversion on and it just wasn't anything to me. I turned it off after about 10 minutes.

The games I've tried on this set have looked great. The 3D games are awesome looking. Especially Super Stardust. Very clean graphics with smooth, ghost free 3d. Wipeout and Motorstorm look excellent too, but if you're playing them, it's a bit hard to study the image and notice any ghosting or blurring. The depth of them is awesome though.

For me, the main factor was bang for your buck. I got a 58" Sammy for less than what a 54" Panny would've cost. I expected the conversion to be a big thing for me, but now that I've had some time with it, I think it's a pointless feature. You might get a kick out of it for a few minutes, but it'll wear off quick. Just my 2 cents.
post #3 of 19 Old 07-25-2010, 10:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 78
I tried the 3d Motostorm, SuperStardust, and Wipeout demos on my pn58c8000, for about 10 minutes each (which was my sole and only experience gaming on the PS3). I couldn't get Motostorm to run in 3d, but the other two looked just fine, to me.

Greg Lee
post #4 of 19 Old 07-26-2010, 04:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 58
I have the 63" Samsung plasma; I do a lot of gaming in general and my experiences pretty much mirror those of chriss2d.

2D>3D conversion doesn't do much for most of the games I've tried. To date I've played Dead Space, Prince of Persia: Forgotten Sands, Bad Company 2 and Forza 3 on the 360 and both Uncharted games on the PS3. After playing around with the various 3D settings and maxxing out the depth setting you do get a subtle sense of depth at times (Forza 3 and Uncharted 2 probably being the games that benefit most of the games I've tried) but it really doesn't change the experience in any meaningful way. As far as movies go, it really depends on the film. The effect works best with movies that have relatively static camera shots or slow pans. For example, Star Treks II, III and VI were all shot this way and have plenty of 3D moments in them, while the 2009 Trek reboot, with its shaky cams, lens flares and fast cuts, does not. The Good, The Bad And The Ugly with its extreme closeups and carefully framed scenery also looks good in 2D>3D.

As to native 3D games, I've played the Motorstorm 3D demo and have the full Wipeout HD and Super Stardust HD games. I also have the Avatar game for the 360. In each case, the 3D effect is very pronounced and the games are still colorful. The Samsung plasmas have a Game Mode that seems to work well and lag hasn't been an issue yet. In terms of ghosting, I've only seen it during some of the closeups in cinemas with the Avatar game; tweaking the brightness, contrast and panel light settings alleviated the ghosting greatly. I never experienced any ghosting with Sony's native 3D games.

In terms of image retention or burn-in, only Avatar has given me a little trouble. After about 1 hour of playing I did see some faint IR when using the TV's anti-burn-in scroll wipe feature to check for afterimages (it wasn't visible during normal viewing). The afterimage quickly faded away but I've decided to put Avatar aside for now until the phosphors in the TV have a chance to age a bit.

Regardless of whether you go with Samsung or Panasonic, it's a plasma TV so you will want to monitor your viewing habits, especially during the break-in period.

On a slightly off-topic not, going forward I wish more developers would give you the option of turning off any static huds or at least allowing you to control their transparency in their games to minimize any IR. After all, how hard could it be. The Motorstorm 3D demo for example used transparent huds during the race and even after repeated races there wasn't a trace of IR.
post #5 of 19 Old 07-26-2010, 12:27 PM

I am a hardcore gamer and bought the 3dtv mainly for gaming. I have the Sammy led 55" 3dtv. My experiences are as follows:

1. Avatar on xbox has amazing death but terrible crosstalk in cutscenes. Truly pathetic. Also the framerate when switching to 3d drops greatly. However a good showcase forbwhat a good engine might be able to do with this amazing technology in the future.

2. Motorstorm is pretty solid throughout but some crosstalk is still evident. The resolution seems to drop quite significantly in 3d mode.

3. Stardust HD is pure perfection. No crosstalk at all and a cool 60fps throughout. The best showcase for this technology thus far.

4 MLB the show is also quite cool. The sense of depth truly adds to the whole experiencer and truly immerses you into the game.

5. Movies are also exhibiting crosstalk.

Overall for gaming in 3d I would like to recommend the tv but at the same time if crosstalk is a major issue then you can choose for the technology to go past it's nascent stage before putting done solid cash for a 3dtv right now.
post #6 of 19 Old 07-27-2010, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zkalra View Post

I am a hardcore gamer and bought the 3dtv mainly for gaming. I have the Sammy led 55" 3dtv. My experiences are as follows:

1. Avatar on xbox has amazing death but terrible crosstalk in cutscenes. Truly pathetic. Also the framerate when switching to 3d drops greatly. However a good showcase forbwhat a good engine might be able to do with this amazing technology in the future.

2. Motorstorm is pretty solid throughout but some crosstalk is still evident. The resolution seems to drop quite significantly in 3d mode.

3. Stardust HD is pure perfection. No crosstalk at all and a cool 60fps throughout. The best showcase for this technology thus far.

4 MLB the show is also quite cool. The sense of depth truly adds to the whole experiencer and truly immerses you into the game.

5. Movies are also exhibiting crosstalk.

Overall for gaming in 3d I would like to recommend the tv but at the same time if crosstalk is a major issue then you can choose for the technology to go past it's nascent stage before putting done solid cash for a 3dtv right now.

I think that its been said a number of times before but i will repeat it that LED/LCD is not suited for 3D at all. The demos is had of the sammy LED sets were good but i was troubled with crosstalk which was distracting.

I eventually bought the samsung 3d plasma PS63C7000 (the same as the states C8000). Now the crosstalk has basically disappeared. The only evidence i have seen of crosstalk is in the wipe-out opening scenes on the Ps3.

For gaming the samsung rocks - i have had no problems with IR.

For me the 2d-3d convertor is great on certain games and in certain scenes. whilst it does not really work on other games - its a matter of trial and error.

for example i love it whilst playing splintercell conviction. Its also very good on racing games. however on very fast moving titles which zoom from first person to third person it can be somewhat distracting - it also helps if the frame rate of the game is 60hz. For example on red dead redemption the convertor is wonderful on the game when you are on the open planes - however go into a town or building and it is not so good.

It is differently more than just a novelty.
post #7 of 19 Old 07-27-2010, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FGEvans View Post

For gaming the samsung rocks - i have had no problems with IR.

Very glad to be reading this. I've had the PN63C800 for about two weeks now. I'm very happy with it but Ihave still been a little leery about playing games with static huds on it, especially after I had some lingering IR from Avatar's static huds (the circle around the rotating map and health bar being the main culprits). Hopefully as the phosphors on my TV age, IR will become a non-issue.
post #8 of 19 Old 07-27-2010, 04:07 PM - Thread Starter

FGEvans - Hey, a breath of fresh Samsung.

It is good to hear your input. How long have you had your Samsung 3d? Are you having any of the issues the other posters claim?

I figured that most people post when they are researching or when having issues....I just haven't seen a lot of happy Samsung posters yet...although I think when you dig in, most of the unhappy Samsung users have been non Plasma users and more LCD/LED.

Anyways, it is great to hear that the gaming is great on the C8000 equivalent. The price is so good, that it seems very worth it if the 2d gaming and TV is great and the 3d is good to great.

If you have any other input, please advise.
post #9 of 19 Old 07-27-2010, 04:55 PM

another option to consider is Pc 3d gaming with Nvidia 3d vision. there are several advantages to this, like 400 games that you can play in 3d today- and many were made specifically with 3d in mind. I have played Ps3 on a 3d plasma and IMO it looked lame compared to PC 3d gaming. The PC 3d graphics are FAR superior to consuls. you could sell the consul get a cheapo Mitsubishi DLp and a high end pc for about the same price as a new 3d plasma- depending on what PC you buy- and get far better 3d gaming experience. DLP works very well- with ZERO ghosting- and offers one of the best 3d systems you can get- for a great price. I agree that the plasmas are very nice if you are only into 3d blue ray- but they are not future proof at this point and lack true 1080p60 gaming ability. IMO the next gen of consuls, and today's current generation of PC's, will be able to run full 1080p60 3d games- so it wont be long until those really expensive tv's are obsolete.

if you really want the ultimate 3d gaming system- check into 3d vision surround with 3 projectors in surround mode. How does 5760x1080p in 3d sound!
http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?s...c=172757&st=60

Consul's are great if you need a plug and play device for simplicities sake. Or if you are on a budget.

Although you can buy pre made 3d computers now that just turn on and work.

What ever you choose- you will enjoy the 3d gaming experience! its great! I never buy games anymore unless they are 3d ready!

Intel I7 920 overclocked 4ghz
Asus Rampage Extreme II
2 Ge-force 480 in SLI
295 PhysX Card
12gb 2000mhz ram
Intel SSD RAID
BR RW
1000w Sony
Mitsubishi 65" 3d HDTV
NVIDIA 3D Vision
post #10 of 19 Old 07-27-2010, 07:07 PM
Advanced Member

Daniel
Can you play 3d BR movies with your PC (using 3d vision), presuming you have a BR rom drive?
If yes, what software do you have to purchase in order to play 3d contents in your PC?
Do you play flight sim games, such as FSx or DCS Sharks?
If you do, what's your experience with 3d in those games?

I just took a dive into 3d gaming in pc this week.
I just purchased the 3d Vision kit today.
I then just upgraded my video card to a GTX 470.
I have a bunch of loaded pc games inside my rig already (BFBC2, COD5, L4d2, FSx, DCS Sharks)

Gen Coupe 3.8 Track w/ bolts-on tune: SRI , CBE

post #11 of 19 Old 07-28-2010, 04:55 AM
AVS Special Member

I played the first two levels of Gears of War 2 on my PN63C8000 last night using 2D>3D conversion. Fairly decent 3D effect but, much like rumble, once I got into the action I barely noticed it. Interestingly however, when I leaned forward so that the TV covered most of my peripheral vision (I had previously been sitting about 6.5 feet away from the set) the 3D effect became far more pronounced.
post #12 of 19 Old 07-28-2010, 09:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielJoy View Post

if you really want the ultimate 3d gaming system- check into 3d vision surround with 3 projectors in surround mode. How does 5760x1080p in 3d sound!
http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?s...c=172757&st=60

You mean 3840x720p since the only 3D Vision projectors are 720p.
post #13 of 19 Old 07-28-2010, 11:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I am a semi pro-level Street Fighter player (went to EVO 2010 a couple of weeks ago) and the only 3D TV that meets my needs today is easily the Panasonic VT.

The VTs have the lowest input lag of any large flat panel HDTV on the market.....at 16ms (even in 3D mode) this represents only one single frame of lag on a 60fps game (Street Fighter, Marvel vs Capcom, Modern Warfare, Tekken, Virtua Fighter,etc.) so that is my choice....

I happen to think its a better TV than the Sammy C8000 plasmas albiet VTs are more expensive....
post #14 of 19 Old 07-28-2010, 02:21 PM

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiopho View Post

Daniel
Can you play 3d BR movies with your PC (using 3d vision), presuming you have a BR rom drive?
If yes, what software do you have to purchase in order to play 3d contents in your PC?

I have a bunch of loaded pc games inside my rig already (BFBC2, COD5, L4d2, FSx, DCS Sharks)

I know you asked the question of Daniel in particular, but I'll answer if I can. Using 3d Vision, a fairly mild PC, Power DVD 10 Mk 2, and an '07 73" Mitsu, I was able to get Cloudy w/ Meatballs 3d blu ray to play, and quite nicely I might add. As far as games are concerned, almost everything I've thrown at it crafted in the last decade has worked, although some may require resolution and rendering tweaks. Rumor even has it that Wii emulated games can work as well, but I haven't tried it myself. I think you'll be very happy with your choice, and be sure to tell us your impressions.
post #15 of 19 Old 07-28-2010, 03:35 PM

yes- cyberlink! works great! though i have only used it once to verify functinality.

No flight sims for me. mostly first person or third person shooters. I like to hack games for split screen in 3d- like left for dead.

the nvidia 3d vision forums have allot of great info on how to optimize most games for 3d. BFBC2 is wonderful in 3d. So is metro 2033 and just cause 2- and batman AA is impressive for a old DX9 game. Left for dead 1 is better for 3d than 2- valve never optimized it for 3d!

The best gaming experience is 3d ready games. But there are many games that are excellent in 3d.

Con-grads on the purchase and enjoy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiopho View Post

Daniel

Asus Rampage Extreme II
2 Ge-force 480 in SLI
295 PhysX Card
12gb 2000mhz ram
Intel SSD RAID
BR RW
1000w Sony
Mitsubishi 65" 3d HDTV
NVIDIA 3D Vision
post #16 of 19 Old 07-28-2010, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter0328 View Post

You mean 3840x720p since the only 3D Vision projectors are 720p.

yes- thanks for catching my typo!

you can do 3x 1080p if you go with LCD's

Asus Rampage Extreme II
2 Ge-force 480 in SLI
295 PhysX Card
12gb 2000mhz ram
Intel SSD RAID
BR RW
1000w Sony
Mitsubishi 65" 3d HDTV
NVIDIA 3D Vision
post #17 of 19 Old 07-28-2010, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurkor View Post

I know you asked the question of Daniel in particular, but I'll answer if I can. Using 3d Vision, a fairly mild PC, Power DVD 10 Mk 2, and an '07 73" Mitsu, I was able to get Cloudy w/ Meatballs 3d blu ray to play, and quite nicely I might add. As far as games are concerned, almost everything I've thrown at it crafted in the last decade has worked, although some may require resolution and rendering tweaks. Rumor even has it that Wii emulated games can work as well, but I haven't tried it myself. I think you'll be very happy with your choice, and be sure to tell us your impressions.

i have played Wii games in 3d on the pc- it was a fun experiment! and it worked. lots on info on 3d forums.

Asus Rampage Extreme II
2 Ge-force 480 in SLI
295 PhysX Card
12gb 2000mhz ram
Intel SSD RAID
BR RW
1000w Sony
Mitsubishi 65" 3d HDTV
NVIDIA 3D Vision
post #18 of 19 Old 07-28-2010, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLee View Post

I am a semi pro-level Street Fighter player (went to EVO 2010 a couple of weeks ago) and the only 3D TV that meets my needs today is easily the Panasonic VT.

The VTs have the lowest input lag of any large flat panel HDTV on the market.....at 16ms (even in 3D mode) this represents only one single frame of lag on a 60fps game (Street Fighter, Marvel vs Capcom, Modern Warfare, Tekken, Virtua Fighter,etc.) so that is my choice....

I happen to think its a better TV than the Sammy C8000 plasmas albiet VTs are more expensive....

Sweet! Indeed, those plasmas are very nice! if they had one that did true 1080p60 i would own it. Very good picture quality.

I love street fighter 4 on pc! cool thing is that it works very well in 3d on the PC. are you playing 3d SF on consul?

DLP tv's are also very fast- a close second to plasma- offering a "game" mode. its one of the main reasons why the 3d mode works so well on these sets- and possibly why LCD is so prone to ghosting- though the new ones are getting faster.

Its a great time to be a 3d gamer!

Asus Rampage Extreme II
2 Ge-force 480 in SLI
295 PhysX Card
12gb 2000mhz ram
Intel SSD RAID
BR RW
1000w Sony
Mitsubishi 65" 3d HDTV
NVIDIA 3D Vision
post #19 of 19 Old 07-29-2010, 12:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Yeah...I play SF3 Third Strike on PS3, Marvel VS Capcom 2 on PS3, Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix on Xbox 360 and Super Street Fighter 4 on both PS3 and Xbox 360.....luv all those games
Reply 3D Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page